Having problems with Boingo Wireless?

1800 880 4117 (USA & Canada)
800 032 6793 (United Kingdom)
1800 441 7844 (Thailand)
1877 348 8201 (Mexico)
+1 310 586 5180 (Head Office)
+1 312 357 2900 (Chicago Office)
+1 972 542 3555 (Dallas Office)
+1 734 921 0004 (Detroit Office)
+1 516 328 3790 (New York Office)
+44 203 450 6554 (United Kingdom)
+351 800 208 821 (Portugal)
10960 Wilshire Boulevard, 23rd Floor
Los Angeles, California
Chicago Office
2215 York Road, Suite 415, Oakbrook, Il 60523, USA

Dallas Office
2150 South Central Expressway, Suite 160, McKinney, TX 75070, USA

Detroit Office
Detroit Metro Airport, McNamara Terminal, Building 830, №2559, Detroit, MI 48242, USA

New York Office
3000 Marcus Avenue, Suite 2E6, Lake Success, NY 11402, USA

United Kingdom
Regus Building 3, Chiswick Park, 566 Chiswick High Road, London, W45YA, UK

Complaints & Reviews

as for me, i'll never use them again

Connection slow to start. Heavy on the promotion. During access, session froze. Billing continued for months. Company refused to refund more than 2 months. Only after 3 months was acknowledgement sent that a perpetual account was in effect. Even then, no mention of a monthly fee. As for me, I'll NEVER use them again.

Lauren Sanyal Apr 29, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with us. We want you to be a happy Boingo customer, and I'd like to make things right for you.

Will you please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username? I'm happy to look into your account and determine what happened. Thanks for your patience - we'll get to the bottom of this!

I would not recommend this shame of a company to anyone

I have tried to call Boingo Customer Service to cancel but they never answer. There is never a human being on there, just a long wait. When you contact them via their Support email address, they do respond but make you call them to cancel and then the same voice mail hell!!

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SHAM OF A COMPANY TO ANY ONE.

Lauren Sanyal Apr 29, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with us.

We've had some longer-than-average hold times lately, and we're sorry that you had to wait so long on hold. This is certainly not representative of the excellent customer experience we strive to provide, and I'd like to make things right.

Will you please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username? I'm happy to help you with your request.

can't get through to customer service

After months of trying to figure out what this charge was that kept coming up on my bank statement, I finally...

do not give them your credit card info, they will use it again and again to charge you

I signed up for their service at ATL airport for a 24hr period. Apparently by doing so I signed some kind of contract that they can charge that credit card again if I use their services again. I was at Brussels airport a few months later and because of a popup that they installed, I was automatically logged into their account. They ended up charging me $20 for the service. There wasn't even a window with a rate or a do you agree to sign in window. I found it bordering fraudulent. I emailed them numerous times. They were quite dismissive and told me I should have read the fine print when I logged on at ATL airport. As if anyone does that. I didn't bother disputing it with my credit card company although I think I might have a case, but this company is quite deceptive to say the least. Do not give them your credit card info, they will use it again and again to charge you.

Lauren Sanyal Apr 29, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience with us. We would *never* try to deceive our customers. Promise. We want you to be a happy Boingo customer, and I'd like to make things right.

Would you please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username? I'm happy to look into your account and find out what happened.

• Co
    Consumer Watchdog NJ Jun 09, 2010

I had a very similar experience at Newark airport on April 28, 2010. I signed up for a 1 hr session at $4.95. A week later I found a Boingo popup coming up every time I was near a free wireless location. I was shocked to find that Boingo was charging me $19.95 a week for something I never signed up for. It took me nearly a week and five emails to cancel the account. Over a month later, I have still not been able to remove the software that Boingo installed on my computer. Boingo's practice of making unauthorized charges is beyond deception - it is theft, pure and simple. For over a month Boingo has refused to remove these unauthorized charges to my credit card, and I intend to file complaints with every state, and federal agency with jurisdiction, as well as the Administration at Newark Airport. A class action suit should be filed against Boingo for this widespread practice of internet.credit card theft.

Lauren Sanyal Jun 10, 2010

Yikes. The last thing we ever want is for our customers to be unhappy. I'm sorry that you've been having trouble with the software, and that it took so long to cancel your account. Please rest assured that we will *only* charge you when you log into the software to get online. Also, I'd like to reiterate that we would *never* try to deceive our customers.

To remove the software from your computer, please visit: http://www.boingo.com/boingo-faq.php?lang=en#boingo-products, scroll down to "How do I uninstall Boingo software", and follow the listed instructions.

Would you please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username? I'm happy to look into your account and make sure we've made this right for you.

huge undisclosed fees

Boingo Wireless advertises low rates. When you create an account, you give a credit card number. I recently was in Germany at a hotel and they had wireless internet access. I clicked on the browser and Boingo came up. I could not get on the hotel service because the Boingo service came up. I had no information as to cost or time of service. I did click on Boingo and got online. I got home two days ago and had two bills from Boingo for $19.95 each. I had no information on how much the service would cost or its timeframe. I called Boingo re this and was told that when I signed up (at least 6 months ago) there was a message regarding foreign signups, but not what it would cost. I was also told that I could have gone online to find out what the charge would be. How can I get online without signing up for service where I was. I was told by Bianca Carmichael that I should have done that before I left. I did not know where I would be when I left. This company is exploiting its customers. I canceled my account and will not use it again. I will put these amounts in dispute with my credit card company.

Lauren Sanyal Feb 09, 2010

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with Boingo. I assure you that we *never* intend to exploit our customers, and we're sorry to hear that you feel this way. In fact, we strive everyday to provide our customers with an excellent Boingo experience. We want you to be happy with Boingo, and as such, we'd like to make things right.

It sounds like you connected with the Boingo software at your hotel in Germany, which would incur a charge of $19.95 USD for 24 hours of access in one location. As an example, our Boingo AsYouGo plan description states: "Enjoy Boingo Wi-Fi for the next 24 hours at this hotspot for just $7.95. Future connections will be billed at just $7.95 per connection at individual hotspots within North and South America, $9.95 per connection at individual hotspots in Asia/Pacific, and $19.95 per connection at individual hotspots in Europe, Middle East, and Africa."

Please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username, and I'll be happy to investigate further. With this information, I can pinpoint precisely which plan you have and determine exactly what happened.

scam

I read the warnings about this service but thought they must be overstated. I regret ignoring their advice to stay away from this company. I used the service once then canceled the account online and after I canceled they continued to charge my credit card for months. I called and emailed nearly 10 times and their customer service varied between polite, rude, and totally incompetent (see typical response below). They quit charging me but they never compensated me for the two months they charged me for a service I had canceled - it was honestly the single worst customer service experience of my life! WORD TO THE WISE: DON'T USE BOINGO!

Thanks for contacting Boingo Wireless.
Unfortunately I donot find an account for you. I searched by name and
email address provided and did not pull an account.
If you need further assistance please call customer support.

Warm regards,

David Almaraz
Online Customer Care
Boingo Wireless
[protected] (US and Canada)
[protected] (Finland)
[protected] (Japan KDD)
[protected] (BE, DK, FR, DE, HU, IE, IT, LU, NL, NO, PL, PT, ES, SE, CH, TW, UK)
Email: [protected]@boingo.com

Lauren Sanyal Dec 23, 2009

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience with us. We want you to be happy with Boingo, and as such, we'd like to make things right.

May I ask how you cancelled your account online? We actually do not currently offer online account cancellation to our customers, but this feature is coming next year. Regardless, we *never* intend to make it difficult for you to cancel your account, or intend to charge you after your account has been cancelled.

Would you please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your name, email address, and Boingo username? I'd like to locate your account and help resolve this issue for you.

scam charges

Boingo is a horrible service that exploits the ability of automatic credit card acceptance. I cancelled my service and two weeks later was billed a $7.95 fee. The shift supervisor confirmed the recorded conversation and agreed to the prior cancellation. Two weeks later my credit card shows another charge for $11.23, they claim it was for a usage before being cancelled but that is not accurate. This is not a question of the money, it is a dispute of the principle and unfair billing practice. BEWARE!

BOINGO billing service unscrupulous and I do not recommend anyone use it. With business practices such as these they will not be around in 5 years.

Lauren Sanyal Dec 21, 2009

We want you to be happy with Boingo, and as such, we'd like to make things right. Please email me at lsanyal at boingo dot com with your username, and I'll be happy to investigate further.

scam

When it comes to Boingo, it's way way worse than "accidental" charging. I paid for their one-day pa...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices