Bally Total FitnessCharging my account when my account should be canceled

In January 2009 I signed an eight month agreement with Bally Total Fitness. I chose to cancel my membership when the location closest to me closed. Unfortunately I misplaced my copy of the agreement so I went to the website looking for information on how to cancel. I did not find the website helpful so I called the customer service line. The day I called I held for 32 minutes. I personally feel this hold time is unacceptable. I have worked in customer service, sales and retention for about 10 years and this hold time only made me want to cancel more.

After holding I reached Carlos Moreno (Employee ID#6456) on 7-29-09 and I explained to him I wished to cancel my account as well as my friend Alissa’s account. Alissa was added to my account in January for an additional $20 charge. Carlos informed me that the both of us still had 2 months on our contracts and asked if I would like to make the final payment over the phone. I asked Carlos if I would be charged a $10 fee for making the payment over the phone (I heard about this fee as I was holding). Carlos said he would waive the fee for my convenience so I made the final two payments on both Alissa’s and my accounts. My final payment was for $65.36 and my confirmation number was 042518. Alissa’s final payment was for $41.42 and her confirmation number was 092818. At the end of my conversation with Carlos I requested a confirmation of cancelation and final payments on the two accounts be emailed to me. Carlos said I would get that within 72 hours.

The following day on 7-30-09 I checked my bank account and noticed that I was charged $51.42, not $41.42. I was charged the $10 that I was told would be waived. I had to call in again that day to request a credit for the $10 fee. I held for another 30 minutes that day.

I spoke to Edward (employee ID# 6459) when I called in the 2nd time. Edward said he credited me for the $10 fee but it never appeared on my bank statement. Edward informed me that Alissa’s account wasn’t canceled the day before but that he would cancel it that day. I again requested a cancelation confirmation be sent to me via email.

I requested this cancelation at the end of July. I have yet to receive any confirmation via email that either of my accounts has been canceled. On September 28th I was charged $20.71. I have been told on 2 occasions that my accounts have been canceled so why should I continue to be charged? I looked into my banking history and I was never credited the $10 Edward had told me I would receive.

On October 5, 2009 I contact customer service and spoke to Joe (ID #1673) who informed me that in order to receive these two credits I would need to wait up to an additional 10 business days to discuss the possibility of a credit with the accounting department. This is ridiculous! Joe also informed me that the reason I haven’t received confirmation on cancelation is because I never mailed in a letter requesting to cancel. I was never told that it was a requirement to send in a letter. I work in client satisfaction, specifically with cancelations; I would have sent the letter if I was told that it was required.

On October 5th I also emailed Bally’s Member services department requesting a call back. I did not receive a call back, instead an email saying to call manager Jose Cervantes at [protected]. I called Jose on Monday October 12th and still had not heard back from him when I called a second time on the evening of Wednesday October 14, 2009.

In closing this has been a truly horrible experience and I have intentions on filing a complaint with the BBB. I also will be sharing this experience with friends, co-workers and family.

• Bally Total Fitness's response · Oct 22, 2009

Hi Jaime,

My name is Beth and I work for Bally Total Fitness. I read your post and I wanted to apologize for your experience with our Member Services team.

I've forwarded your post to the head our Member Services team for review and follow-up. Unfortunately it appears the contact phone number we have listed in our system is incorrect.

At your earliest convenience will you please send me a DM/PM with your contact information so we can contact you?

Beth W.