Having problems with Amigo Energy?

+1 888 469 2644 (Customer Service, English)
+1 713 881 8586 (Customer Service, Spanish)
+1 888 313 4747 (ONCOR Territory)
+1 800 332 7143 (CENTERPOINT Territory)
+1 888 866 7456 (TNMP Territory)
+1 866 223 8508 (AEP CP&L Territory)
+1 801 424 0018 (Head Office)
5521 Westheimer Rd, Suite 1000
Mailing Address
PO Box 3607, Houston, TX 77253-3607

Complaints & Reviews

ripoff billing

Well, I got two bills for $350 for my home. The bill was for one month and I called to say they sent to different bills for the same month.
Nope I had to pay both bills.
I asked why so high and it turns out, its just a estimate bill and not from the meter.
The turds just guessed how much I owe and sent me two bills, the same amount to the same timeframe to the same house and I had to pay both of them.
I refused and I have no power.
I did complain and they just hung up on me. 'find someone else to powere your damn home."
Im warning you guys, dont do business with them theyre ###s.

• Ra
    Raul Nov 12, 2008

I ran into the same scheme about billing at an inflated rate after Hurricane IKE. I had to call CENTERPOINT to request actual meter reading. Two weeks later, I m still waiting. I changed service from AMIGO to another provider recently because of bad customer service. AMIGO ended up charging for the last two months before I got service from another provider.

AMAZING thing is that during the month I had electrcity with Amigo before IKE, my bill was lower than when I did not have electricity after Hurricane IKE. Imagine that. Today, an AMIGO representative I threaten me with legal action and used the scary tactic--referral to credit bureaus.

I told AMIGO representative I was willing to pay my bill as long I got an acutal meter reading done. Still waiting. AMIGO rep continued saying that my bill would be higher if I waited and that I really did not have option to wait. Today, AMIGO could offer me 20% discount off the inflated price when I did not have electricity. I said NO about ten times, but AMIGO rep persisited like a Kirby vacuum sales rep.
    It was take the deal now or Amigo is going to take legal action and make a referral to credit bureau. So much for name AMIGO. They dont stand for that.

I imagine Centerpoint is bombared with actual meter reading. As such, AMIGO is in a rush to offer deals to settle. They don't want to bill you for actual meter reading. Imagine that.
    DON'T BE FOOLED BY AMIGO; THEY SHOULD BE CALLED FOE.

nasty cust. svc, unless u pay threatens to cut power, fone lines longwait, untrained agts, no fax number

THE DAY PUC APPROVED AMIGO ENERGY'S LICENSE TO SELL -IS THE SADDEST DAY FOR US THE CONSUMERS ! THIS COMPANY NEVER LIVED UP TO ITS PROMISES, SENT SEVERAL EMAILS (10/14 & 10/14/08-UP TO DATE-ADVERTISED 24 HRS REPLYS
LIE, WROTE THE CEO/NO REPLY, -HOW CAN A COMPANY LIKE THIS OPERATE & NOT PENALIZED W/PUC ? DUE TO HURRICANE IKE 'S DAMAGES SCREWED OUR BUDGET, AM ON FIXED INCOME
HUSBAND BEEN OUT OF JOB FOR 22 MTS NOW.
PLEADED FOR AN EXTENSION OR EVEN DEFFERED
BILLING-ANSWER WAS A NASTY nO- WILL CUT THE
POWER IF NO PAYMENT ASAP ? EMAILED A BLISTERING COMPLAINT TO PUC, PLS DO NOT RECOMMENT THIS COMPANY TO FAMILY/FRIENDS
NOT EVEN UR WORST ENEMY. AM SO MAD & UPSET
CAUSE DID NOT HAVE TIME TO CHOSE OTHER
PROVIDERS DUE TO SHORT TIME, WAS W/ RIVERWAY-ANOTHER LOSER, SO PLS SPREAD THE
WORD-THIS COMPANY HAS RUDE CUST AGTS, VERY
SYMPATHETIC & UNCARING ..BBB & PUC HAD BEEN
ALERTED, & HAVE FINISHED LETTER TO HOU CHRONICLE.

• Am
    amigosucksass Nov 18, 2008

So what else is new? They f**kers to begin with.

• Sh
    sherrie Feb 20, 2009

this company sucks so bad i never moved in the home service was suppose to go to and no one lives there and they are still try to charge me if anyone knows how we as ripped out consumers can do a class action lawsuit then i would gladly take part of the action seriously [email protected] hit me back if interested

• Ir
    irishgirl Mar 21, 2010

this company is bending hard working people over and screwing them hard! i am switching to another company ASAP! they need to be stopped.

illegal billing

Amigo energy is terrible. I do not know how they are in business.Not only, did they raise rates from .11 to .24 in a span of 2 months, We do not live in the city limits and they have been charging us city sales tax for over a year. When I realized what was happening, we immediately switched but also contacted them. They said they were not doing anything about it and a final bill had been sent. I had tried contacting them several times before and was always told someone would call me back. That never happened. I also sent numerous emails. I have filed a formal complaint with the PUC. I also have emailed all of the news media and the VP of AMigo. Someone needs to bring attention to this crooked company. We withheld less than 30% of the final bill until someone would call us and tell us if they owed us or we owed them. Instead not even a week after we made our final payment, they had some creditor begin to call. I encourage all of you who are having trouble with them to go to the PUC, the BBB, and email the vice president and the media!

• Cd
    CD Sep 10, 2008

Exactly what happened to me! Amigo Energy is the worst and they are nobody's amigo! Their rate doubled one month to the next, and when I called to complain, they said the new rates were published on their website. I realize they did nothing illegal, but it traps trusting customer into a technicality that Amigo grossly takes advantage of. I knew my variable rate changed month-to-month up or down by a few cents, but never thought they would be indecent enough to double my rate so abruptly!

I decided to split my final bill payments over two months because it was the largest electric bill I've ever had! I wrote the BBB but Amigo employs their legal department to essentially wear me out by repeatedly telling me that they are within their rights, that I owe them, they don't owe me any further explanation and that I should pay up. When I reply that I am not satisfied with the answer, they simply reply with the same thing. That way, when you get tired of complaining, the BBB closes the case as "resolved." Soon after I made my first payment, just a month after the final bill date, I started receiving daily calls from some collection agency in India, threatening me with a bad credit report if I didn't pay in full right away.

The moral? DON'T even try to switch to Amigo Energy!

• Je
    Jennifer Sep 12, 2008

Stay away, away, AWAY from Amigo Energy. My largest light bill was $313, and this was in an apartment with NO TV, NO w/d, NO stereo, no NOTHING!

MadDude Oct 15, 2008

As I posted known Addr./Ph. # elsewhere in this Forum..
    I noted that I had no good email Addr. for Amigo...
    Maybe you could share your info .. & email for a V.P. ??
    It would help us all ..to put them on written notice !
    THX

• Ro
    Robert Nov 19, 2008

I would check with the city for which Amigo was claiming to collect taxes. If Amigo has been colllecting this revenue but not submitting it to this city they are committing fraud. This city may be interested in pressing charges.

• Pa
    patrick Nov 21, 2008

i called amigo about a problem and an agent named david hung up on me when i told him my problem. i asked for a supervisor and he said no and hung up. i made a big mistake getting involved with amigo... be careful ..don, t get fooled...

Jason M. Nov 25, 2008

This company just sucks. Like everyone else, they took over my electricity service from Natgional Power Co., never sent me any notice whatsoever, and suddenly, they doubled my rates. I got a $300+ electric bill for one month in a 550 sq. ft. apartment! My previous highest bill was about $160.

I also had the hang-ups happen to me after attempting 4 times to contact them to no avail. Seriously, this company is a joke!

ripp off

I purchased a house in dallas Jan 08' I have been living in California and payin a mortgage and rent until I was able to move here wtih my job. I get here Aug first to realize that my utilities have been changed from NPC to Amigo. I called amigo they say they sent me emails and called me but I never received any notification from them other then an oustanding invoice. They are charging me 24c a KWH!! $800 folks and I have'nt even been living in the house!! These guys will not get one red cent out of me. I switched to Star Tex 13c for 2 years and did the out of cysle reader so they can switch earlier. Amigo are gansters and I am reporting them to the Better Bruerau of Businesses and filing a complaint with PUC. How dare they those low down money grabbers!!!

npc customers scammed by amigo energy

If you're reading this chances are you were one of the thousands of former NPC customers switched over...

outrageous charge

After I was switched to Amigo from National Power company they charged me an outrageous charge of .2469 per...

no bill, no access to bill on-line, lied to by employees

First someone came door-to-door in my neighborhood promising a lower rate than I had been getting with National Power Company. I signed up. Then when I hadn't received a call within 3 business days to confirm my change, I called Amigo Energy. I was told that I had already been switched from National Power Company because they went out of business and that my rate for that month was WAY, WAY more than the rate I had with National Power Company. They said they would put me on a lower fixed rate, and give me a $75.00 credit on my next bill. I was told that I would now be able to go online to pay my bill, since the account was now "set-up". I have not been able to "pay on-line", and have not received a written bill from the company. I have talked to several of their representatives and get a different story each time. I would like to pay my bill, have a choice in my company, and be able to choose the rates and not be "Blind-sided" by an outrageous bill that is at the HIGEST RATE in TEXAS!!!

breach of contract

Amazing - I have never seen such a ripoff - I tried like everyone else to get a bill or rate from Amigo...

amigo is ripoff

I just received my bill from Amigo Energy after being involuntarily switched from NPC. The first bill never...

overbilling

The company overbilled and lied about it. Amigo attempted a verbal settlement amount and when I demanded a...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices