American Airlinesbaggage mishap

American airlines was awful to me. They lost my luggage on a flight from shanghai to chicago (or delayed as they like to call it). They offered absolutely no accommodations to me. Although they found the bags the next day they sent them to the wrong address, my parents address rather than mine! My parents live 9 hours away... A huge inconvenience. I filed a complaint and never even got an apology...

Rosemarie Hantwerker Aug 02, 2016

I was told by US Airways and American Airlines that I could use my points for magazines. Did this before and it worked for a year. Now they told me they got my order which I did many, many months ago and I got a post card saying it was a processing error and they can't place my order., Duh!!! There address is Processing Center, P O Box 30468 Salt Lake City, UT 84130 They say they are from customer service magsformiles.com I'm sure this is a scam but for what I have no idea. It's a shame, I don't travel much but these points were from a trip to New Zealand and Austrialia January of 2014. I realy wanted the magzines again.

• Bo
    Bob Jul 12, 2016

I had to change my itinerary on a return international ticket and was told I would receive the updated itinerary through email, which I didn't get.

I called back to AA to ask for it to be sent again. The lady on the other end asked me to be absolutely sure because to have the itinerary resent AA would charge me $5.00. When I expressed my displeasure she didn't even bother trying to explain further, instead she transferred me to her supervisor (knowing very well I was calling long distance). I waited longer than 10 minutes.

• Lb
    LBartchak Jun 22, 2016

My husband and I are part-time missionaries to Haiti. Long story short, we took a week of our vacation time to go, and AA "lost" four out of five of our bags! My husband had no clothes (for a week of sweaty work!), we had no tent, air mattress, SUPPLIES or DONATIONS. Kinda hard to do mission work that way. The level of help we received was MINIMAL, the amount of concern was NONE, and there has yet to be any effort to make this right with their customer.

The interesting thing is that we were told bags are not scanned at every stop. We went from Cleveland to Laguardia to Miami to Port au Prince, so they said they only "scan" the bags at Cleveland and Port au Prince (really????). They couldn't tell where along the way was the last time the bags were seen!

My husband's clothes were in his carry-on which was checked at LGA, and yes, that also was lost! To add insult to injury, our travel insurance that we paid for wont pay till we file a claim with our homeowners insurance, and I was told by them our rates will increase 12% just for filing!!! This has been a nightmare!

• Je
    Jessica rr Jun 10, 2016

I just called AA to file a complaint because a flight attendant was really rude for no reason. After asking for some information which the operator didn't have, I just told her to put me through to complaints. She said not to talk to her that way, and called me a "stupid f***ing b****." Then hung up on me. This is no lie. This was at a customer service operator at [protected], a number given to me by a person from the reservation line. So they have this customer service employee swearing, being vile and disgusting, then hanging up on the customers. That's just so sick. NEVER FLY AMERICAN AIRLINES!

• Ha
    Hazrat Sultan Jun 07, 2016

Dear Sir,
    While going from London to J F K as mentioned my bag was delayed. Forget about that.
    But now once again, it is quite surprising that your agent at JFK (flight no. 104 12 sep. 635 p m) made a blunder by issuing me boarding card (4 072 [protected]) for London, Bahrain and Peshawar; while tagged my luggage (four pieces for two passengers) upto BAHRAIN.
    The inconvenience caused me great pain and financial loss; besides setback to your reputation. Mind it, my family and I use this airline over a decade.
    I would request you to hold proper enquiry and take severest disciplinary action against lady who tagged luggage at JFK. I may also be compensated within the ambit of you laws.
    Ticket no. [protected] Newyork to London to Bahrain to Peshawar

Ticket no. [protected]
    Newyork to London to Bahrain to Peshawar

Ticket no. [protected]
    Newyork to London to Bahrain to Peshawar

• Wo
    wolf5 May 16, 2016

After a long time delay of 5 months they did refund me the price of the luggage which they had damaged beyond repair. Better late than never.

jane11 Aug 05, 2013

my friend was breast-feeding her child & the flight attendant was very very rude to her & even moved passengers away from her because she thought the passenger felt 'uncomfortable' she then complained to Mr. Tim Rhodes, & all he said was that babies were not to be breast-fed without being covered. my friend chooses not to cover her son because it can cause suffocation. im boycotting aa because of how they acted.

Maria Sanchez2 Jun 03, 2013

To whom it may concern:

It is a shame to see that employees that hold such an important position serving the clients, behave in ways in which they do not give any respect or consideration, much less provide any help to us. Lamentable is the fact that even though I have paid for a service, I was treated in a deplorable way by one of your employees, I do not want to image how the treatment would be like, if the service was for free.

On May 24th, 2013, me Maria Marcela Sanchez Alcalde with the confirmation code DQMYZN, presented myself to the American Airlines international check in counter in O'hare's airport Terminal 3, to check in for my Buenos Aires flight via New York. I have been studying International Business and Finance at Illinois State University for 4 years, and I have been enrolled in a number of abroad programs that have taken me all around the world. I have used American Airlines and several others airlines, and in none of my previous travel experiences, was I treated with such unkindness, and disrespect by your employee G. Anipa. I even received threatens form her, telling me that she would not let me board my flight if she decided so, I question myself is this type of treatment given to a client fair?

As I was telling you, I presented myself to the check in counter, and proceeded with the check in process. Once I was done the computer indicated me that I required assistance from an agent in order to check my ID. I called upon G. Anipa for assistance, and right the way I was able to see that she started walking towards me in an annoyed way, and it resembled that she did not want to be there. She then asked me to where was I headed, I told her that Buenos Aires, Argentina via New York. She then asked me for my Argentinian visa, and I replied that I did not need one ( I had done previous research with the Argentinian Consulate in Chicago). Then she asked me that if I had been in Argentina before, I replied that I haven't been there and that this would be my first time, to my surprise she discourteously answered me, that how could I know that I did not need a visa for Argentina, if I had never been there, told me to shut up, and she proceeded to examine my passport in a thoroughly manner. She then took my passport to behind the counter, I asked here to where was she taking it and what she was doing with it, and she answered me to stay quiet, because if not then she would not let me travel. That she had the authority not to let me board the plane, and that it was worth to me to keep quiet, if I wanted to travel to Argentina. I wonder if she, a check in Agent, has the authority not to let me board the plane, let's clarify that all these started just after I asked her to check my ID as the check in computer requested it. At this point I was really angry, but I did not reply anything back in fear of losing my flight as she had just threatened me. She then handed me my passport back and finished up with my check in process. When I asked for her name, and told her that I would write a formal complaint against her, she ironically replied “ Ok, that's cool”.

I am thankful that I am able to speak English and present this complaint and not remain quiet to these actions. I do not want to imagine the treatment that non-English speakers would receive, could it be true that racism still exists today? As I stated before, when one pays for a service, one should be treated in a courteous, adequate, and respectful way, even though I am not a frequent customer, just by the simple fact of being a customer, I deserve a cordial and respectful treatment, by all of your employees.

I am willing to take this case to the highest department of your complaints office, as I believe this might not be the first time she treats customers this way, it is time for someone to speak up. Mrs. Anipa needs to learn the consequences of her actions, and I will make sure that I follow up this complaint with your department.

Awaiting for a quick reply from you

Maria Marcela Sanchez Alcalde

• Ji
    Jizzlo Aug 12, 2011

Charges you $5 dollars for them to send you your itinerary! I had to change my itinerary on a return international ticket and was told I would receive the updated itinerary through email, which I didn’t get.

I called back to AA to ask for it to be sent again. The lady on the other end asked me to be absolutely sure because to have the itinerary resent AA would charge me $5.00. When I expressed my displeasure she didn’t even bother trying to explain further, instead she transferred me to her supervisor (knowing very well I was calling long distance). I waited longer than 10 minutes.

• DRAMAZEE Jun 07, 2011

I DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS ALOT OF COMPLAINTS OF LUGGAGE BEING OPEN AND PERSONAL ITEMS BEING STOLEN . I HAD SOME PERSONAL HYGIENE PRODUCTS, COLOGNE AND A BROKEN CELL PHONES I WAS GOING TO DONATE TO A CHURCH THAT WAS TAKING THEM AND OLD EYE GLASSES WHILE I WAS ON VACATION. I CALLED AND WROTE AND THEY TRYED TO TELL ME IM SUPPOESED TO CHECK MY LUGGAGES WHILE IM IN THE AIRPORT.. WHO DOES THAT. IT WASNT A CARRY ON BAG. THEY TOLD ME IN SO MANY WORDS BY PHONE AND EMAIL TOUGH LUCK. WELL I POSTED MY COMPLAINT ON YOUTUBE, FACEBOOK, AND OTHER COMPLAINTS BOARDS AND MY PERSONAL BUSINESS WEB PAGE. IF ALL THE HITS TO THE PAGE AND WEB SITE KEEPS ONE OR 35, 000 CUSTOMERS FROM BUYING A TICKET FROM YOU ### MY JOB IS DONE. REMEMBER TO DO A INVESTIGATION RATHER THAN JUST PUSH IT OFF LIKE ITS A STATISTIC..I GOT ALOT OF PEOPLE ASKED ME ABOUT IT FAMILY, FRIENDS AND PEOPLE AS FAR AS DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND PUERTO RICO. MY LOSS IS A OTHER AIRLINE GAIN AND MY PLEASURE.

• Ti
    Tips81 Jun 02, 2011

On a recent vacation to Hawaii, I missed 2 flights due to AA not being on time with their departures. On the way there, I arrived in Los Angeles 5 minutes before my connecting flight departed for Hawaii. Needless to say the plane didn't wait for me and I was stuck in LA overnight, losing 1 full day of my vacation. On the way home, my flight from LA to Dallas was an hour late... causing me to miss my connecting flight into my hometown. Again, i missed the flight by 10 minutes and needless to say, they didn't wait. *** American Airlines, bottom line.

• Bi
    Billek73 May 22, 2011

American airlines cancelled my 17 yr old daughters flight and left her at the airport by herself. they put her on stand by and at that time sent her luggage back to dallas on a flight. my daughter stayed on stand by the rest of the night and never got a flight wille her luggage arived in dallas. now i have adaughter in orlando with no luggage and stuck at an airport aloan. her team she was with was on a later flight. you thank you have everything planed. they have no customer service you get an email to complain too.

• Bl
    blumenfool May 05, 2011

Book a group outing only to have some to cancel. I called the group desk to get info. on what my options are. I had 2 different stories - 1) can reuse ticket from date of issue but then another representative advised me that since there was a change in times I could cancel and use it from date of cancellation. I then called yesterday and the representative could not find this person's reservation - thought all was well. But, I find it via internet and call back. I advised this person what has transpired who advised me I can only use ticket from date of purchase. I told her what I was previously advised - she said "so sorry" It will be impossible to use this ticket as I purchased them a year ago and would have to go soon - but we are already planning on vacation within this time frame. So, bottom line I'm out $$$ due to misinformation!!!

• Ms
    msbtw Mar 02, 2011

This March my wife and I booked a round trip ticket from Seattle to Chattanooga to visit my mother who was gravely ill. She died a few days into the trip causing us to delay our departure so we could attend her funeral. Working through AARP we thought that our change of departure fees were somewhat fair. However, AA charged us over $570 a piece plus the price of our original ticket to change our departure date. This was almost double the rate of the original roundtrip fare. The tickets ended up costing $930 each. On the new intinerary, they refused to assign our seats until we got to Chicago to change planes, and even wanted to charge us $990 a piece to upgrade to first class. The final insult was a seat in row 31, right next to the engine. Every person we talked to in Chicago was stone faced and rude. It was nearly impossible to talk directly to someone on the phone, and the person I did talk to was nearly impossible to understand, and our e-mails, faxes, and phone calls have been ignored so far. I'll never fly AA again, and I encourage everyone to boycott them.

• Ad
    adp Mar 02, 2011

I just flew from San Jose to Fort Lauderdale. My trip involved a plan change in Dallas/Fort Worth. I was traveling alone with a 2 year old. I had a CRS strapped with a Traveling Toddler to my carryon bag. I had paid for two seats. My daughter had a tiny backpack on that was really just a bag attached to a monkey harness as I was worried about her running away while I managed luggage by myself. I had my purse. I had a very small bag that I kept all my liquids and food in so I could more easily get through security (only had to empty that one bag). And then I had a diaper bag and a very tiny bag with a spare diaper and wipes so when I had to go to the bathroom to change my daughter, I would not have to lug my whole diaper bag down the aisle along with a very active 2 year old. ALL of these bags were small and easily fit under the front seat. The Car seat occupied my daughter's seat and is NOT included in the carryon allowance. The carry one roller bag went in the bin overhead.

So. In San Jose outbound, I asked the gate desk if I could pre board. No problem. I was nicely allowed on first so I could strap my daughter's car seat in and get OUT of the aisle ASAP. I had a few problems getting off and the Pilot, Yes, the PILOT, actually helped me off the plane and carried my car seat into the terminal where I had to reassemble everything.

So when I went to check in to continue to Florida, I asked if I could pre-board. The woman said yes, in 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, I approached the loading area. I was standing near another ticketing woman and she asked if she could help me. I said I wanted to possibly pre-board. She said no problem.

But then, when it came to boarding, a third woman was calling the boarding. I went to her and asked about pre-boarding. She said, NO. In a very nasty way and that they don't do that. I said the other woman (the first woman), who was standing RIGHT there said I could. That other woman did NOT speak up which was Very lame of her. She just kept her head down. I told her that they allowed me to pre-board in San Jose. She said they do things differently in Dallas. And then in the MOST CONDESCENDING VOICE, VICKY told me that, "We are all adults here." Mind you, by now, this was happening in front of about 20 people.

So then I walked over to the second woman and said that the third woman told me I could not pre-board. She had been unaware of all that was transpiring so she looked up and got a disgusted look on her face and walked over to the second woman and told her something. She came back and told me I could board. So I was waiting and then Vicky told me that I had to wait until Group 1 boarded. So I just stood there. Then she looks over and told me I have to many bags. I told her I did not, that I was allowed them. My CRS did not count as a bag. She pointed to my 2 year old's TINY backpack and said that counted. I just looked at her stunned. I said I had my daughter in a harness, that happened to have a bag with it, so that I did not LOOSE her in the airport. I then asked her why she was giving me such a hard time. She ignored me. Then the nicest of all the women, number two, came up and Vicky goes to her and complains, "She has too many bags."

It was all quite stupid because I could have stuffed the smaller bag AND my daughter's pack in my roller carry on. She basically was just giving me a REALLY hard time and was being nasty and completely CLUELESS that it is people like me that pay her salary through the purchase of our tickets.

I was fuming and boarded the plane. A man behind me offered to help and I asked him why she was being so awful. He said he had seen the same thing the day before when he had flown.

I could also tell you what happened on the return. Another nasty comment about pre-boarding.

What is it with AA? How come your staff cannot see a woman traveling by herself with a child and baggage on a cross country flight and give someone a break? When I was able to pre-board from San Jose, I got me and my daughter on board in and my seat in record time. I held up no lines. When I was not allowed to, even going after Group 1, I held up all the lines, it was incredibly stressful and a very unpleasant experience for me and everyone else.

Vicky is absolutely a horrible customer service person and if I had a way to notify her supervisor, I would. I will think twice, no three times about flying AA again alone with a child.

It is clear AA has no across the board policy to make their airlines family friendly.

Rondole Feb 23, 2011

Sat on the runway for 3 1/2 hours before leaving for a flight this weekend. They say it was on account of weather, but were they seriously unable to tell us that BEFORE boarding the hot, stuffy plane only to sit there that long? They tried hard to accommodate by playing You, Me & Dupress (Michale Douglas has not been in one good movie since he’s gone grey) – sitting through the film added insult to injury. I have nothing good to say about this flight, knowing full well how hard they worked to make us comfortable. Unfortunately, this experience was out of their control.

• Pr
    prbeck Feb 07, 2011

my wife has gone by another name for the 30+ years we have been married. i recently made reservations for the two of us, and realized the name on the ticket was not the same as that on her drier's license. it is still a month until the flight. american airlines wants $150 to just change the name! it seems ridiculous that they can hold you up for a simple matter like that. maybe if i called an hour before the flight it might make a little sense, but this is outright robbery

• Ve
    vettechef Jan 08, 2011

American Airlines is the worst air carrier i have ever flown on...The flight attendants are rude and pompous twits..

• Sl
    slnm Jan 08, 2011

What a nightmare! My husband recently re-booked award tickets to Belize. I made the changes in December. At the end of the call, just after the agent confirmed payment detaisl, we were disconnected. I immediately called back and was told that the updated reservations were in the system and we were good to go. A few days ago, it occured to me that I hadn't received any kind of email confirmation. I call AA, and after spending time in the automated system, was given confirmation of the two reservations and was even told our seat assignments. Still, I wanted an email confirmation, so after spending more time trying to find a real person and being transfered from department to department, I was told that in fact, only I had a ticket, but my husband had only a reservation, not an actual ticket. Does thta make sense to you? Becuase it sure doesn;t to me. So, after another 30 minute call (and more money being paid to AA), his reservation became a ticket. Phew, right? Now we're done. Nope. The next day I realize that I still have only received one email confirmation - for my husband, Brook - and none for me. So I call back AGAIN. This time I am told tha tthe agent accidentally booked to tickets for Brook, but none for me. What? How can that be? Do we had to go through it all over again (and pay more $ to AA!!) This has been an unbelievably frustrating and difficult process. I would expect at least an upgrade but the mamager told me they don't upgrade based on service issues. I am rethinking my commitment to flying AA. And I'm just glad that I was perseverent and kept calling. I can only imagine the nightmare of showing up at the airport to be told our reservations weren't really tickets!

• Li
    LinK75 Sep 27, 2010

American Airlines Miami Airport Sept 3, 2010 (overnight flight AA6852 from Seattle arrived about 7:15am. Flight AA935 was scheduled to leave at 11:05am)

I had a 4 hour lay-over in Miami. Plenty of time for one last big American breakfast to make up for no dinner last night. However, American Airlines has the worst wheelchair service program in the world!

a. Different Wheel chair pushers or ¨drivers¨for incoming and outgoing flights.

b. Nobody can leave the arrival gate until all special needs people are gathered together at the top of the ramp.

c. All special needs people MUST go to American Airlines holding area and wait there (no bathrooms, no food) until ½ - 1 hour before flight departure, when they will be escorted to their next departure gate.

d. NO Exceptions!

I was off the plane near the front, waited 45 minutes until the only other wheelchair passenger was off, then we went 20 feet to the elevator where we separated. My driver refused to stop at any of the Departure Boards to find my departure gate. He said they were not American Airlines. I knew my departure was Concorse E, we arrived at F, he took me through the terminal, outside, around the parking lot to D then to the other end of D to the ¨holding pen.¨ He said the man there would take care of me. I waited 20 minutes then approached him. He handed me my boarding pass with E7 written on it. I asked when I would go to E-7 he said not until ½ to 1 hour before departure. I had to wait there almost 3 hours. I said I must eat before I can take my medicine. He said, ¨So, walk.¨ When I complained I couldn´t he just shrugged and turned away. I tried to complain to a supervisor at the check-in counter, and got blown off. She said, Miami handles more handicapped than anywhere else in the world (American Airlines world, anyway) and their system works, no problems. Go sit down and she’d come see me sometime. (I waited a few minutes, she never came and I needed my heart medicine. I started walking, sitting, walking, sitting after I got somebody to point the way to Concourse E. Turns out I had to follow my path back to where the driver had said the Departure Board was not American. Of course it was. Where we went outside, was the entrance to Concourse E. He could have left me off almost 2 hours earlier only a few gates away from my destination, if American Airlines had allowed him to. Instead I had to walk back with my heart straining from both lack of medicine and over exercise. I got food, medicine and to my gate, where I discovered the flight was delayed. Actually it left about 3 hours late. Imagine sitting in the ¨holding pen¨ for 8 hours. I feel sorry for the ones who can’t hobble and are at the mercy of those sadists.

• St
    Stevejam Feb 06, 2010

I had a digital camera stolen from one of my checked bags on a trip from Boston to Dallas. I filed a complaint and followed up but they never replied. I realize I shouldn't have put anything valuable in my checked bag. It's my fault for trusting that American Airlines would have trustworthy people working in their baggage area.

Madde Nov 30, 2009

Sat on the runway for 3 1/2 hours before leaving for a flight this weekend. They say it was on account of weather, but were they seriously unable to tell us that BEFORE boarding the hot, stuffy plane only to sit there that long? They tried hard to acommodate by playing You, Me & Dupress (MIchale Douglas has not been in one good movie since he's gone grey) - sitting through the film added insult to injury. I have nothing good to say about this flight, knowing full well how hard they worked to make us comfortable. Unfortunately, this experience was out of there control...

Jon Mark Aug 18, 2009

I was flying From MCO to GIG. To go to work on Helicopters. I had my tool bag. Upon Arrival of Rio I found that 1200 dollars of tools were taken. American wants the original receipts. Which I don't have but I had to repurchase these said tools and yet they won't take that receipt. I am a mechanic and these were basic hand tools that I need for my job. I had to take a lot of heat from the boss over this and just about costed me my job. Now American gives me a check for 248 dollars. These were snap on tools can you tell me how many tools I can buy with this money. Does not even cover the taxes on this. But they don't care. I guess it's time for me to seek out an attorney and finally have a judge see how much I am entitled to.

• binder Jun 10, 2009

Are you F*cking SERIOUS?!?! Have you not heard about Air France Flight AF447?!? Over TWO HUNDRED passengers DIED on that F*cking thing. They are still fishing dead bodies and debris out of the ocean! No one has a solid answer on what went wrong! Does that put your stupid complaint into perspective? Cold air is the least of your concerns when flying.

If you are talking about this air blower thing above you by the light, it can be twisted into the "off" position, ###.

PLUS you flew coach, not first class. Additionally, ticket price varies depending on WHEN it is purchased. So NO, you didn't pay as much as the other passengers, so get over yourself & shut the f*ck up.

Joan Baxter Jun 10, 2009

American Airlines had very uncomfortable air in my husband, John Scott, and my seating area, on our return flight from Santo Domingo. We were informed that the air could not be changed. Apparently the problem has persisted for rows 10-12 for some time?? We paid the same price as the other passengers...why is it ok for us to freeze?? I asked for a blanket...none were left?? You need to fix these problems!! People should be informed and compensated!! Joan Baxter

rodney yorke Apr 28, 2009

traveling on american air lines over a 2 month trip to america we found the whole experience a night mare, the planes were dirty with coffee staines up the back of the seats crumbs on the seats they were dusty .we found the staff rude, lazy, scruffy, never once smiled only served 2 drinks on the out ward flight to america, the food was terrible, we were charged up to $80 at check in extra for our bags on all 5 flights the staff had no pride in there jobs for a big company you really are a disgrace we do this trip every year and can now say the last time we fly american air lines whats gone wrong with your company are handle on our case was snapped of on check in and they never even said sorry we did ring they flight centre in london they spoke to american air lines they said they would send us conpansation yes it never arrived that says it all.

• Oh
    Oh.Brutha Nov 19, 2008

There is a place, called My Trips, to check to see if your booking went thru. With all the email spam guards in place now, sometimes you don't get emails even though they were sent. Also, any adult with a credit card knows about soft charges, etc. It's also knows that it can take several days after the pending authorization falls off for the airline to hard charge for the flight. Why didn't you call them to see if the booking went through?

• Ta
    taka Jul 08, 2008

American Airlines hides behind their customer service web-form. Here are some direct addresses and phone numbers.

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
    [email protected], [email protected]

[protected]-[protected]

Rose Collins Jan 06, 2008

I tried to purchase two tickets from there company and was told that I would here from them within a 24 hour period via email if my tickets were confirmed. I was not notified and the money was put back into my account. Then after I booked through Orbits, they re-charged my account. I want my money back!

• Wi
    william Scott Manning Oct 09, 2007

I feel that American airlines was very uncaring. These rules that they have give the people an excuse to steal. I took a trip to Alaska to fish for salmon. I froze, vacuum packed and packed my salmon in a cooler for the trip. My cooler was lost. It was never found but since it was a perishable they are not liable. I can understand the rule being enforceable if the food had been delivered in a reasonable time and was spoiled. But this was never found!

All I got from american airline was tough luck!

Maria McMurray Aug 04, 2007

I flew American Airlines on my honeymoon to hawaii from Virginia. We went to Chicago first then Hawaii. They don't provide snacks unless you want to pay for them--which I'm used to not much more than peanuts of pretzels. The flight was over 9 hours and you could purchase an overpriced snack if you had the right change. I didn't want to fly them again but they had a good rate on a flight from Texas to VA where I now live. I needed to change my flight date to two days later. The flight was awful on the way out. They were offering vouchers for people to stay and catch a later flight. The plane was small, the crew was short on supplies because they cleaned in a rush--so water or a coke was about the only choice--no coffee, no juice, no milk. Said they didn't want to delay anymore than they already had. They lost my luggage and several others and were the only airline counter at the airport that had only one employee working. They lost the luggage of an elderly woman with emphysema . They were rude to her and not very helpful. She was on a cane and could barely catch her breath and they told her "your not the only to lose your luggage and you need to get to the back of the line". Extremely hateful but probably because they only had one woman checking bags, finding bags, and making arrangements to send them to you... if they find them. If you want to change a flight with them you call the number they give you to find out they charge more to book it by phone but yet you cant change it online yourself. It was going to cost more to change the flight than it would be to throw the ticket away and just buy another one. They were not helpful by phone. I was willing to drive to another airport for their cheaper flights but they wanted $400 to change airports--which in the end would have saved them money. They overbooked their flights, downsized the plane, and sent several of the passengers from gate to gate. The representative by phone said "you should go ahead and fly Southwest." I'm not sure what airline I'll be flying but it will not be American.

• Bi
    Birdie Galbraith Jul 19, 2007

I work for a mission organization and in March 2007, I led a group on a mission trip to Ecuador. There had been many challenges on this project and I was looking forward to my trip home.

My flight originated in Sacramento, then to Dallas, on to Miami and then to Ecuador. I would be taking the same legs back home. After I returned to Dallas, I was waiting at the gate, where they announced several times that the flight had been overbooked and they were looking for three people to take a later flight. I was exhausted and did not want to delay my return. The first announcement offered a $100 voucher for American. The next announcement offered $200. And the third announcement offered a $300 voucher and some other incentives. No one was taking them up on the later flight and they were getting desperate.

I had chosen a seat at the very back of the plane, and was therefore in the first boarding group. I had a very small backpack (smaller than a standard purse), my camera bag and my carryon. When I got to the area where they scan your boarding pass, I was told that I had way too much luggage. I told them that my backpack and camera bag always got stowed under the seat in front of me and my carryon would go in the overhead compartment. After all, I had already completed five legs in my trip that way, without any problems. They told me that there was no way they would let me on the plane with my “excessive” items. When I got upset, they told me if I was to say one more word, they would kick me off the plane. That’s when I realized that this was how they were going to solve the overbooking problem.

I reluctantly gave them my carryon case, which I watched the lady at the gate chuck in a corner. As I moved down the gangway, I heard the two American employees make fun of me to the people behind me in line.

Some friends of mine that had joined me on that trip and were not boarding until later, told me that they were told if they didn’t put their tiny video camera in her purse, they would have to check it or be kicked off the plane. Can you imagine? The camera was around her neck on a strap and was literally 4” wide and 6” long. When I told them what happened to me, they were furious. It is obvious to me now, that American has given their employees complete control to do whatever necessary to resolve overbooking issues.

Upon arriving at home, all my fragile items in my carryon were broken. I had a laptop from my work in there and was afraid to even turn it on. Luckily it worked, but all other items were beyond repair.

I travel extensively for work and will never take American again. I’d rather pay a little extra, to not have to deal with them again.