America First Credit UnionHorrible customer service

have NEVER been as mistreated by a company as I have been by America First. I currently own a 2007 BMW and my loan is through America First Credit Union. I lost my job October 2008 at a big corporation due to the Real Estate recession. I was making 15k monthly and I had never been late on my account until then.
I own 3 houses and every single one of the banks have been kind and courteous towards me and have treated me with respect. I have made payment arrangements with them. When I call America First to MAKE A PAYMENT, I could not be treated worse. I believe it should be simple, take my payment. They speak over me, they treat me as if I was a little child, they are as rude as they can be. What upsets me, is that I am calling to make a payment on the account, not the other way around. Today I called to make the LAST payment of our payment arrangements ($630.00 - owing balance plus fees) to bring my account CURRENT and I could have not been treated WORSE. After this payment to bring my account current, my next payment wont be due until September 29th. I called and I first requested for an Electronic Debit Enrollment form, since I dont want to fall behind again. When I got Holly from the Operations Department on the phone, she was EXTREMELY rude and disrespectful, it was as if "someone else" was listening to the conversation and she wanted to "prove a point" when there is no point to be proven. There was NO necessity to her rudeness at all. Oh and by the way, she DIDNT EVEN TAKE MY PAYMENT. She spoke over me so many times that I DIDNT EVEN HAVE A CHANCE to give her my account information. She didnt request for my fax number EITHER, so the form I was trying to request could be sent out to me. I also inquiried about the "Payment Deferrement Plan" presented to me by a different employee. The employee told me that once the account was COMPLETELY CURRENT, I would be eligible for it so it could give me a "break" since Ive been making 2 + payments a month for quite sometime now in order to bring the account current. When I asked for more information on it, it put her "over the top". She said she was the one who was not going to ever make that option available to me, she said it wouldnt matter if my account was current or not. I feel she was taking things rather personal than professional. I understand a collector needs to be rough with clients in order to collect from them. I just dont understand why an employee would be extremely rude to a client when the client is calling to make a payment and find out all options available to them.
I was so upset it made me cry. This financial crisis has not just hit me, but a great amount of individuals around me. I am not requesting to have the car given to me for free, I am requesting to be treated with respect.

I owe on my car more than what it is currently worth. By repossessing my car, AMERICA FIRST CREDIT UNION would be losing. I have always made it clear I want to keep the car and therefore I have made payment arrangements and paid every single fee imposed to my account. For one reason or another, I had to change the dates of the arrangements, etc., but still, I have been paying 2+ installments a month. I am never calling the Operational/Collection department again to make a payment, I will go to the branch in person instead. It feels Holly was so loaded with negative things to say that she has forgotten I am trying here. I feel no individual should be treated in such way, especially under all the distress that is already surrounding us.

• Di
    dissastifiedclient Sep 22, 2009

That is VERY strange because I am going through a similar situation with America First. As you said, they forget that some of us are TRYING, some of us are not giving up, hiding cars, etc. The rudeness is very unpleasant, and I know which person you are talking about. She has handled my account before and THANK GOD my account is now with someone else.
    Im not sure if the head management is aware someone like her is working for them.

• Al
    alterdstate Sep 22, 2009

Always go higher than the person who is doing complaining. As far as Vegas goes, why don't vegas go shut the F*** up. He is just jealous (Vegas) because he is probably poor. Stupid people say stupid things obviously. Write a polite but detailed letter to a VP or president.

• St
    stone632 May 06, 2010

I agree with the original poster word for word. I, also, have dealt with Holly and it was a nightmare. I was at the branch trying to make a payment and she treated me like a child on the phone. While Holly was yelling at me, the tellers could hear and I could see the shame in their face that they worked for the same company as this woman. I left the branch without making the payment and got a call several days later from a different individual that resolved my concerns and I was able to come current.

• Pi
    Pissed in Syracuse Dec 11, 2012

America First Sucks!! Last month I was one day late on my kine of credit payment (No big deal only $25) They charged me a $25 late fee on a $25 dollar payment. I went into a branch that had no power they had to IM some one in the corporate office to get it reversed. I figured no problem, until I just checked my credit and they reported it as a late payment. ONE DAY HOLY COW!! What a bunch of crap!

Lotusleaf Oct 08, 2017

@Pissed in Syracuse Legally they can not report one day late it has to be 30 days by law. Dispute with credit bureau they will remove from credit if they see it was only day late.

• Za
    zakaria hill Dec 28, 2012

So I'm home on leave For x-mas. I'm deploying shortly after I get home from leave. So i thought, what a perfect tI'me to go get my interest rate lowered right that's one of the the benefits for deploying as a soldier. So i go ask jag what documents I have to have to get it lowered. They tell me all I need is my deployment orders. So i take it into a branch and i talk to a loan specialist, give her my orders and she asks me if i have paperwork for joining the army and i don't. So I'm thinking how the hell would someone get deployment orders if they're not in the army this lady is not to bright, and this is not the first tI'me America First Credit Union has gave me the run around. So i called my friends and their banks didn't give them any problems and gave them a lower interest rate then AFCU wonted to give me. So AFCU has lost my business and anybody i know. I just cant get over the the fact that they would do this to some one who is defending their freedom American first credit union sucks!!!

Lotusleaf Oct 08, 2017

@zakaria hill They choose which rules apply to which customers. If u look it up like I did there are customers that have sued over this you would think wake them up????

• Ca
    Calling out bad services! Aug 15, 2013

The employees at this credit union in Birmingham, AL are just flat out rude! Including the managers. I spoke with multiple people form different departments and got the same attitude - horrible!

• Ro
    Roger E. Layton Nov 12, 2013

I have been with AFCU for about nine plus years. Recently I have noted a complete change in operations and spicily their customer service attitude. I do not have any credit lines of any type with AFCU but strictly checking, savings and bill pay accounts. To wit; this is where my complaint comes into focus and that is their new online system change! It is horrible to use, takes more time in functionally and, looks like the “The new Yahoo” to where there are large screen formats, it’s slow, and eats more memory. I sent a Message objecting to the new format and, the return reply was basically TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT! With that attitude, they will soon be history! Perhaps the Board of directors requires a good HEAD SLAP. I’m a CPA and some of my clients may be jumping off the AFCU ship!

• Ga
    Gary L McFarland May 16, 2015

My beef is with the AFCU Visa Fraud Department. Recently my wife and I went to purchase a new microwave at Sears. We attempted to use our AFCU Visa to capture ABC awards on the purchase, but we were denied and the clerk explained that it might be a problem with the system. I used my other AFCU visa without the ABC rewards which went through. We went to another store to make a purchase and we were told that our AFCU visa was not valid. We called AFCU and we were told they decided to put a lock on our visa card for possible fraud. After calling an explaining it was us making the purchases the lock was lifted. Upset I later called a representative from AFCU demanding to find out why they did this without attempting to call the merchants or us. I was told they tried to call our home phone number, but no one was there... Seriously? No attempt was made to call our cellphone numbers, because the system at AFCU fraud has room for one phone number only. Embarrassed and I'm likely out about a hundred dollars in ABC reward money later We Are Still Unhappy about this incident.

• Ba
    baileysw Jul 13, 2015

America first credit union s u c k s. I would just like to agree with the complaint posted above. america first is truly the worst. they do not care of their customers and are sloppy and unorganized. the staff here is unprofessional and it infuriates me to know that they employ such untrained and inefficient people. they don't know how to cancel automatic payments and after calling and chastising them over and over I have made numerous payments on things that I do not even own anymore! what is being done to resolve this issue?! do they even have a customer advocacy program??? I did not think so! time to shape up afcu!!!

Lotusleaf Oct 08, 2017

Think it's time we get gibhart involved I have been in hospital and have auto loan. Got the disability insurance with my loan thank goodness at least I thought ??? Put in the claim it has take couple months to approve have to verifications. I was told I was protected until I found out claim was approved or not. Well got home fro. Hospital other night next morning woke up to car gone. I am extremely sick and having to deal with these jerks. I agree with the above comments I have never in life been treated so rude. They tired to turn my words around transfer me to 3 different people and they each said different things when I mentioned my frustration with being told different stories was treated like I was crazy. I was told I wasn't told different things which I kept notes and quoted noted to them of the differences in what my rights were and what they would do with car. I was flat out told I was a liar by one person for saying that the other person told me something else. One more important thing I was never given notice or ph call said they didn't have my new address, but had it to file claim and had revieved mail from them and had it to repo it so why no possible warning! They said we don't have to!!! I think it's a game they play to keep u in the dark. They do this everyday and the bet on us not knowing our rights and what they can and can't do. I went to get medical device that doctor gave me to use was in car from repo shop and it was gone! Of course they say it couldn't of been then I made police report, but where does it end they need to be accountable for treating consumers this way. FYI- I made my payments on time always for 2 1/2 yrs before I got sick . This doesn't mean anything to them. Now they say no matter what I can't get car even though insurance claim will be complete in couple days. I don't have the health and strength to fight them on this and know have to find attorney to help me go up against these bullies. I think after attorney a call to gibhart! Good luck to all of you!