All My Sons Moving & Storagedo not use all my sons movers

We used All My Sons Movers to move our furniture and belongings from a three bedroom apt. to a four bedroom house eight miles away. I should have known something was wrong when the company didn't want to send someone out to estimate our load and give us a quote. They did, however, give me a quote of $1900 over the phone when I told him what we had to move. I asked for four workers to help pack and not one of them spoke English or knew how to pack properly. They all seemed like the type of day laborers who normally stand on street corners in SE Portland waiting for work. They refused to pack our TV sets in the original boxes with packing we had saved. Instead our large TV rode on a blanket in the truck despite my objections. They claimed they had to make two trips even though the first truck was only half full. Some of the men rode in the back of the truck with our belongings. Something that I'm sure is illegal with the transportation dept.

They did not deliver some of our better furniture and computers to the new house on the first truck load. My husband was at the new house with cable installers expecting and needing to hook up the computers and when they were not unloaded from the truck along with some furniture, he called me back at the apartment. I called the moving company and was told they were holding our computers and furniture as collateral in case we didn't pay. When I reminded him that I gave him a credit card number, he claimed that the charge did not go through. I said that was not possible because the card had a zero balance and a credit line that would accommodate the cost of this move. He had an inaccurate number and told me he would try to contact the truck that was in route back to the apt. to deliver the computers and furniture to the new house. Something they should have done on the first trip. When they finally returned to take the rest of the furniture and belongings, they told me they couldn't take our large collection of plants from the deck and front porch. I had to tell him that I was disabled and couldn't move these things myself and was paying him for his moving abilities and no one at their office told me they couldn't move plants when I included them in the quote.

When I got to the house later that night the entire house was a chaotic mess. Most of the boxes were not in the appropriate rooms as I had labelled the boxes nor was the furniture placed where I showed them it should go on a floorplan I had drawn probably because the movers couldn't read English along with not being able to speak it.

As I unpacked, I discovered that some boxes were only half full and some were even empty. I discovered that some of my husband's college things were mixed in a box with some of my things that I've had before I even met my husband. There is no way that my husband's belongings could have gotten in that box unless the movers combined them as they were going through our boxes on the truck. I still have not found my two jewelry boxes.

The company charged us double what they quoted me on the phone because of the two truck loads. It was a 24 ft. truck. If they had loaded it properly to full capacity the first time, there never would have been a second trip.

The entire experience with All My Sons Movers was a total nightmare and I do not recommend them. I will never use them again and I warn all people who I know are going to use professional movers not to use them either. They are anything but professioanl. They are gougers, thieves and probably use illegal immigrant day laborers on their crew. Do not use All My Sons Movers!

• Ki
    Kikena Nov 25, 2012

I called to assess who to use in helping my daughter and son-in-law do a local move. During my discussions with the agent, we discussed pertinent details of move and time required. I was assured that they were local and used qualified personnel – they even had what I thought was a Savannah area code (912). The day of the move, they arrived an hour late and then when it came time to pay, they informed my son-in-law that there would be a travel time charge to and from the job. My son-in-law told me that they charged him for two hours travel time – which would have been a little over $300 dollars.

When I talked with the moving company, they indicated it was an hour. But my beef is not really to the amount but the fact that it was not disclosed up front. Had I known that they would be charging for travel time, I would have selected someone in Savannah to do the move. If they are going to be charging travel time, this should be disclosed up front when the cost are being negotiated, not after the move.

They said they called the night before at 7:48pm to confirm the move and the cost. I asked what number they called and was told 912.927.4725 – which is my home number. I was at home at that time and can assure you, no one called to confirm anything.

My interest in this is that I called to set this up and recommended this company based on assessing cost, size of company, and perceived quality of professionalism – and I paid for their service. In my estimation, they were very unprofessional.

• Be
    Beverly Townes Aug 14, 2007

We hired All My sons to move us about 15 miles to our new house. We hired three men and a truck. There were four men that showed up at our house and the "Supervisor" stated the company only sent three men but it was really a four man job and he had brought another friend along and wanted us to pay for it. We had practically boxed most of the items and all they had to do was break down the beds and some other small items. It took them 8 hours and 1 hour overtime to load and unload a 3 bedroom house. The "Supervisor" and his crew moved in slow motion and carried one item, mostly small pieces, one at a time into the house. When they finally finished and told us the charge was $1190.00 we were outraged. He also wanted us to pay additional money for the extra person he brought along which was only a ploy because the "Supervisor" did not do any work. He became extremely belligerent and called us names, telling my husband that he was less than a man.