Complaints & Reviews

unethical business

After satisfactory service from this company for 2 years I am very upset with their cancellation policy I...

No Customer Service/Support

This company provides emergency telephone alert units for the home. I have a problem with a new unit that their "customer service" department refuses to exchange or correct. This leaves my 85 year old father alone with no emergency unit. Calls to their help line go unresolved. Requests for a manager or supervisor go unanswered. Nobody seems to care or be willing to correct the problem. Any suggestions?

• Do
    Donald Levine May 12, 2009

DO NOT USE ALERT USA
    We never received a SMOKE ALARM.We returned all of the original equipment that we received and they refuse to send us our $100 dollar deposit back claiming that we never sent back the smoke alarm when we discontinued service. This company seems to be a fraud that takes advantage of the elderly...

Be aware and beware of this company...

Unethical Business Practices

On February 2007, I purchased two emergency response monitoring systems from ALERT USA each at a cost of $325...

Non-response

Letter to ALERTUSA...no response: I became a paid subscriber to Alert USA in October of 2007. Each month when I check in (according to the company directive), I have always had a response from AlertUSA. Sometimes it takes three or four minutes, but still…an answer to my call…until this month. On August 1 I waited and waited and then tried a second time….but nothing. I gave up, and went back two hours later. This time I did get a response; however I am very concerned about that first call. What if I had been seriously injured or had been experiencing a heart attack? I could easily have died waiting for help. I did call the 800 # afterward and talked to David, but I wasn’t satisfied that you would be made aware of the problem.

This is not the first time I have had cause to wonder about AlertUSA. Not once, but twice, my friends and relatives have received the alert call from your company when I was in no difficulty at all. The first time, I was in my winter coat getting into the car. The second, I was in my kitchen cooking. Is it possible I could have pushed the button inadvertently? Of course. But twice? And was it possible that a call had really come from some other client desperate for help?

I am paying a considerable amount of money, in my terms, to gain the security you offer, so I’m sure you’ll understand that my family and I are beginning to wonder if we should contact another company. I would appreciate some assurances that these incidents will not be repeated.

Ma Rosie Mar 10, 2009

I have NO faith in this company other than they will rob my money to the end. I started my contract with quarterly payments, and was assured I could change to annual payment any time with written notice. This would reduce the monthly fee considerably. Well, 7 months later I tried. Good luck. 1st call they said no problem. I called back to confirm a week later and was now told to send my request in writing. I did this. When I called 2 weeks later to verify receipt of my written request, I was told I had to wait until my annual anniversary date to prepay for a year. They said this is in the contract. NO, NO it is not in my contract !!! So I called the sales dept, pretending to be a new customer and asked if I could sign up with quarterly payments and change to annual payments at any time. Sales dept said yes, of course. Then I told them I am an existing customer, who was told the same thing when I started the service and now the company refuses to allow the annual payment method. One barrier after another. The sales rep said he can not help me and actually hung up on me. Do not use this company to try and save a few bucks, they will rip you off. Many of the employees will yell at you and most will hang up with you if you do not agree with them. I am so afraid that they will keep charging my credit card when I cancel the service. By the way, the only way to cancel and get my deposit back is to send the the equipment back to them in perfect condition. Once they get the equipment back, how can one prove it is in original condition. Best way to avoid their overcharges is to cancel your credit card. Then they can not bill you anymore.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices