Vitacost.comfalse advertising

A

Buyer beware
I've been a long time customer, and been happy until today.

They sent an email soliciting a "be well box", sort of a grab bag, for $13.99 that was worth up to $70.

Based on their own website, the value of the products was worth $7.75. And they refuse to give a refund.

They say it is "worth up to $70" not "worth $70". And even at worth about half of what they charge, they stand behind their grand lie.

Liar liar pants on fire.

Jane A Sep 10, 2013

Your customer service is the worst anywhere and no on in your company gives a dam

I have to called to no avail

Why dont you give us your number in Boca so we can call you

• Ta
    Tasha123 Feb 11, 2013

Tasha13 has plenty of time to post comments, being in prison.

avantijk Feb 08, 2013

Why don't you call Mr. Zucker and ask him about your bizarre theory?

avantijk Feb 08, 2013

Since when "working with" a customer defined as promising something worth up to $70, and sending something that you have to go through numbers games to come up with a valuation of less than $30 when a more realistic measurement is far less?
    I started out stating my disappointment and asked for a refund. When it was refused (despite grossly misleading advertising to get the order in the first place, and putting an "unconditional" guarantee on the receipt, I asked for a supervisor. When she also defended the poor business practices, I told her that I thought you were thieves for treating a good customer that way. I'm entitled to that opinion, and by looking on sites about complaints against Vitacost, I'm not alone in that opinion. My behavior does not rise to the level of "abuse" in any way, shape or form. I never yelled. I never swore. I asked nicely, was refused, asked for a supervisor, again made a case for my position, and was refused. Only then did I say I thought you were a thief.

david zucker Feb 08, 2013

Also we make a great profit each year so losing one customer won't affect us. We have tried working with you, but you just brush us off. So good luck finding another company to deal with.(though it is good for us I feel bad for them.)

david zucker Feb 08, 2013

Wow, after seeing how you interact with other people we don't want to deal with you anymore. Tasha may be rude but she does have a point. And frankly I don't want my employees to deal with your rudeness and abuse. As for losing a customer, I would rather lose a customer than have you abuse our employees. Thank you though for your feedback.

By the way we don't have an employee by the name of Tasha working for us.

avantijk Feb 08, 2013

Work on making it closer in value to what you advertise, and none of this would have happened. Meanwhile, you have lost a customer that has spent well into four digits with you. To be truthful, you need to state the range the value will fall within, and not a high upper end that is more than double what the inflated value really is.
    I own a small business, and I would never, ever, allow a small two digit dispute to cost me a good customer. Your refusal to refund a tiny amount will cost you a very large amount in future business. Not smart. Not smart at all.

david zucker Feb 08, 2013

You bring up a valid point. The value we show however is compared to MSRP and not the vitacost price which is already discounted. In addition, and you recognize this, smaller sizes are actually more expensive per ounce then full size items. As for returning the box we do make it clear on the product page this item is not returnable. We can certainly work on making it clearer.

Mr. Zucker:
    I looked up each item on your website. From there, I calculated out the cost of each item per ounce and did the math for the size of each item in the box. It came to $7.75. Granted, there is generally a premium for smaller sized packages that I did not calculate into the mix. But the facts are the facts. You could have added the full size of each item, and been closer to the amount you claimed in your false advertising. And I would have been happy.
    But really, if you were offered something of "up to $70" in value, and got something that ounce-for-ounce calculated at $7.75, would you be happy?
    Especially when the bottom of your receipt reads: "All purchases at Vitacost are covered by our 30-day unconditional money back guarantee" and that unconditional guarantee was refused?
    As a long term, previously happy customer who justifiably, even by your inflated under $30 valuation, was unhappy with your deceptive advertising you should have given me the refund, based on the statement on the receipt, when I politely asked for it.
    You refused, so I took my complain viral.

avantijk Feb 08, 2013

And you must work for Vitacost.
    You take issue when I said "about half". (Actually you added to lie by misquoting me saying I said "not even half".)
    I think people of average intelligence or above will agree that $7.75 is close enough to $7.49 to be characterized in the "about" range.
    Get an honest job, instead of working for a company that pays your salary with the ill-gotten gains from false advertising.

david zucker Feb 08, 2013

I am the Chief Marketing Officer of vitacost.com (David Zucker - [email protected]) and apologize if you feel you did not recieve a fair value in our new Be Well box. The actual value of the items in this Be Well box are $29.29. The value in our Be Fit box this month is $78.94. Please contact me if you have any additional questions

avantijk Feb 08, 2013

And you must work for Vitacost.

• Al
    Alice Jun 29, 2009

I ordered from vitacost then it took me to another screen for shoppingessentafter reading it I opted out and I am still getting charged every month for $19.95. I will no longer order from vitacost since they are hitched up with this other company. I just want to get rid of this monthly charge.

Comment Guidelines