United Readers source/ readers sourceFRAUD

K

after receiving 8 calls in a hour for their magazines, I noticed 2 unauthorized charges on my account. I had to cancel my bank account and get a new one. They hung up on me 3 times when I told them not to call me anymore and that i was on to their scam. Iguess the only way to get rid of them is to have them call blocked

• Mi
    Mike Nov 07, 2008

Kristi H. Did you order any magazines from them? I have the same situation, I have been called 14 times in two days. I was dumb and ordered magazines from United Readers for my kids and didn't look at any of the information they sent me until I started getting calls from Readers Source the last couple days. I have also canceled my credit card and reported them to my local law enforcement, BBB and the attorney general of my state. Have you been able to cancel your subscription?

• Da
    Daniel Nov 18, 2008

This company is terrible!!! They feed off other's confusion. If you get their call HANG UP RIGHT AWAY!!!

They called me with a sweepstakes entry and the promise of free gifts. I asked the salesperson a number of times whether or not I would be able to cancel the subscription if I changed my mind and was told repeatedly that I would be able to cancel my subscription. I was told I would be notified of any winnings on the following 1st of the month (a months time) and a welcome package would come in 7-10 days. I was not told that the cancelation period was only THREE days after acceptance (the phone call).

When I called the company to cancel my subscription, I was told that I could not. They record the last two minutes of there one hour sales so they can confuse you with a number of questions regarding terms and then record you agreeing to their cancelation policy so they can hit you with it when you contest. Subscriptions are paid for in double every month for the first year (?). I now received over 10 mags a month which I toss into a recycle bin. I will have, by the end of it all, 142 magazines which will have cost me $500 total.

Consumers need to be warned about United Readers Service Ltd in Lakewood, OH, as they have poor sales practices.

Ann Nov 25, 2008

This company is a total rip off. I was told I had ten days to cancel and after I called to cancel the lady told me it had been canceled. I received a statement from them and called again to confirm the cancellation and they said I could not cancel and had to pay the entire balance. I have not received any of the weekly magazines (the one's that you agree to pay for) but that does not stop them from trying to charge me. I am trying to fight the charges they are making against me right now. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and I would advise that you all do the same. Maybe if they get enough complaints they will investigate this company more closely. You can file a complaint on their website https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ or by calling them.

• Ce
    Cecilia Dec 06, 2008

Hi kept getting calls from a phone number that I don't have on my cell so I decided to call them today to find out who it was (I'm a curious person). It was from the "United Reader's Service" the person I talked to said that they were calling me because I was one of the finalists for the sweepstakes they were sponsoring for the major credit card companies. She said they were given a list of names of the finalists so they could call them on behalf of the credit card companies and my name was one of them. She went on and on about the prizes but I kept questioning her... I asked her what benefit they got out of this, she said that they work with the credit card companies and for this case they were helping them contact the finalist and at the same time she was given they right to offer an amazing magazine promotion to the finalists... She was having a hard time convincing me so she said to me that by taking this "amazing magazine promotion" they were sending me within a week a diamond watch... I said WOW you guys have so much money that you don't know what to do with it and you are just going crazy giving all these nice gifts away... I said I want to work there (of course I was being sarcastic)... I told her I will think about it... then I called my credit card companies to ask them about this and they told me they are not running any type of sweepstakes and have not contacted at all this company. I called them back and I requested to talk to the same person I had talked to and asked her to remove my name and phone number from their database. I told her that they were just scamming people... She kept saying they were BBB accredited... I told her they are several complaints about the company. She even had the guts to try to convince me. I told her if she didn't remove my name and phone number from the list and I f I got call from them again they'll be in big trouble.

Be careful everyone because once you accept the magazine offer you are obligated to a 4 year commitment!!... they don't tell you this right away but she was stupid enough to tell me that one of the reasons why people get so upset is because they want to cancel after a month, a week, or so but they can't because when they accept the promotion one of the requirements is a 4 year commitment (I’m not sure if this requirement is very clear to people or if its buried somewhere in small font). I think I gave her a headache... If you ever have a problem with them don't think twice and go to the better business bureau website and file a complaint (http://us.bbb.org) The phone # they kept calling me from is [protected]. Good Luck!!

• Mr
    Mr. Pink Dec 12, 2008

i was duped into their magazine scam. they called me in the morning after i was drinking and i agreed. the verbal agreement isn't valid. i made the initial payment of 30 something dollars and only got 2 magazines. then they wanted the next payment so then i was like no way. i called my bank and disputed the charge and got my 30 something dollars back. united readers calls me acting all rude and wants me to pay. but im not paying. i made the initial payment with my credit card and i check the statement daily to see if they try to charge me again. but if u gave your debit card number (no no) you need to put all of it into a new account asap. i hope these people die slowly. i hope this helps someone. good luck

• Sh
    shiretta dyer Jan 08, 2009

I have been harased for the past 3 nights with about 15 phone calls, some with caller ID numbers and some with none. i have been told bye the first caller not to talk to to anyone else if they call. i have been forced to give my credit card number and information again because someone has hacked into their system and is calling there customers and on one will call me again from them. I have been threatened to be turned over to a collection agency. i haven't even received 1 magazine yet. i have been told that they don't have a supervisor or any form of manager that i can talk to, or i own this business, or some other rediculous answer. last night they had me so upset that i was crying because i didn't know who i was talking to, just a voice one other end of the phone and tried to tell them them this and refused to tell them anything more about me for fear of fraud. i would be glad to pay for the cheap watch they sent and wanted to cancel my order.and then i got hung up on. this happened on 2 other phone calls. i have read the other complaints and i will also report these people. maybe even call chanel fox 5, if this does not stop.

Charnel Jan 19, 2009

I have become a victim in the scam from Visa and United Readers Service LTD. They called me soliciting a sweepstakes and said it was on behalf of my credit card company...little did I understand it was not through the company but Visa themselves. I have tried to cancel my membership but they refused. Getting very defensive and combative on the phone I was told that it was clearly explained what I agreed to. I also found out they do not record the inital call but only the part where you agree to the terms and conditions. I threatened to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and was advised they are in good standings with them, I am filing any way. I have also filed a dispute and complaint with the Federal Trade Commision. I am disputing this contract due to the fact I was under a different impression (not denying I agreed) of the agreement, they make the subscription sound amazing and make you feel that this is a great bargain when it is not...I am losing a lot of money off this subscription and feel that their business practices are deceitful and confusing, also to mention that they called me even though I was registered with the do not call register list. I am usually not one to fall for scams like this, but unfortunately did..they are very good at causing confusion and being very convincing. I also feel that Visa should be held accountable placing me on a list with a telemarketing company where I am binded to a contract. I feel this is very poor business practice and everyone should know that Visa is selling out their customers. I have great credit, and now I am stuck in this contract...hopefully the FTC will help me out with this...please be very careful on any phone calls, register every phone number you have (it's easy) in the do not call registry. Unfortunately society cannot trust major companies anymore. To add I have to pay $39.90 a month to this company for 4 years...do the math...is it worth it?

• Ca
    Cape45 Jan 23, 2009

Same thing happened to me.
    I looked on BBB and their name did not come up. Does anyone know how they are listed?
    I called and initiated a dispute with my credit card company. They don't believe a verbal contract is enforceable. I'll stop th eauto payment and then they'll have to bill me. I'll send the bills back postage due!

• Ih
    I HATE MAGAZINES Feb 10, 2009

same thing happened to me, first the magazines, than the calls, than the unauthorized charge.. take these mofos down government!!!

• Sp
    spc Feb 23, 2009

Unbelievable but true... I got 3 magazine subscriptions for $2 each per year, for completing an online survey after making a Christmas purchase. February 22, 2009 I noticed a few calls from "Readers Source". They were very persistant in making those calls. When I finally answered and spoke to them, I was asked if I was enjoying the magazines and they wanted me to commit to renewals at $2.99 a week per mag. I thought I was hearing things when she said "per week". Fast to do the math, I asked if she was f'n kidding me, over $450 for 3 magazine subscriptions?!? I told her to cancel my subscriptions... she told me I would be removed from their database, and then hung up on me. I tried to call the number on my caller ID, but the call "could not be completed as dialed". I called the number from my credit card statement which showed the original $2 charge, and they confirmed I had a subscription for 1 year for each of the magazines for completing the survey. I dont know where Readers Source came into the picture, but apparently they were involved in the survey! No charges have posted to my credit card account. BEWARE!!!

• Th
    thought about it afterwards Feb 24, 2009

Same thing happened to me, but after thinking about only one night - I called to cancel. Wisconsin has a consumer protection law that lets you out of these types of scams with in 3 business days. Now I will be watching my statement to make sure they put the money back into my account. I talked to a lady named Tracey and she gave me a confirmation cancelation number, so we will see what happens. I will be keeping the number in a safe place after reading all these experiences.

• Se
    Seth Strickland Feb 25, 2009

Nice to know I'm not alone. I've told these idiots 5 TIMES that I no longer want their service. I paid out the nose for the &*%$ service and I was told it was paid off. At first I got lots of mags but, the last year to 18 months I got 2-3. I could have gotten a better deal at the newsstand. So, today 2-25-09 I got a letter saying I was paid in full but, for $9.95 a month I could extend the service. Once again I had to call them and tell them "NO" I don't want the &%$#*%@ service. I hope they got it this time. I really don't want to call the California BBB.

• St
    stupidscams Mar 10, 2009

I was called today by a confusing telemarketer. She said that I was picked out of 500 people (that a bank or credit card company had submitted me for for being a 'good' customer). She said I had the chance to win some type of car, $2, 500 and other prizes. She said that I had already won 48 mos. worth of like 6 or 7 magazines and also some diamond watch (small diamond on it). I kept asking her for a web link to check into this contest but she said that that would come in the mail and that I didn't have to accept any magazines if I didn't like them. She referenced Unitedreaders.com...She was talking fast and I asked her "NOW I WON'T BE CHARGED FOR ANYTHING AND I'M NOT GOING TO BE ON SOME CONTINUATION LIST AM I?" she said "no". I said ok I'll wait for the information of this 'sweepstakes. Now after I googled them, I'm worried...eventhough I asked her if any of this would be charged to me and she said no...could they still charge me? (they have my address but not my billing info, unless Visa just gives it to them?)...I tried calling back the number that called me and got a busy signal. I wrote down their united readers cust. service number and intend to call and cancel my 'prize' I'll tell you how it goes.

• So
    sondys Mar 13, 2009

If you email them on the website that you want to refuse the service they should send you out a cancellation. However they still want a lot of money to cance.

• Sp
    sparkum Mar 17, 2009

I just called to cancel the service after they got me for 59.90 for two months. this company is such a rip off, they told me I was obligated to pay the second billing cycle for their crappy magazines for 30 months. I have contacted my bank and they told me to cancel it and get a letter in writing and they will go after them for anymore money they take from me. I paid for two years and fulfilled my obligations to them, received letters that my service would be extended unless i called and cancelled, I did call and cancel it.. twice. So they recently called and confused me into thinking that for some reason I may owe them more money but after further investigation I do not and hopefully I am done with them. Do not be fooled by them as I was. This company is a rip off Readers Source, Mission, KS [protected] / Treasure Coast Enterprises of Fort Myers, FL is on the confirm letter they sent. please post a comment if you know any more about them.

• Me
    Megan Kirkwood Mar 19, 2009

I received a call on my mobile phone while at work about 2 years ago. I was completely caught off guard. I was told by the girl (caller) that she was new to the company, so I fell for it and listened to her pitch. I was told that I was entered into a sweepstakes and that my prize was a subscription for 5 magazines. The girl talked very fast and made me believe that I was agreeing to a prize. When the call ended, I received a "quality control" call from another representative that wanted to make sure that the first caller was courteous when she called me. Apparently this was when I verified that I agreed to the terms of the contract.

A few months ago, I called to change a couple of magazines so that my husband would have something to read. We figured that if we were paying $40 dollars a month for this, we might as well get the magazines that we wanted. From this call I was once again tricked into renewing my subscriptions with this company for another 4 years! When the second quality call came through 5 minutes later (like the first time) I mentioned that I would like to cancel because my husband and I did not want to receive the magazines from them. I was told that I was unable to cancel because I was a preferred customer so they already sent my order to the publishers for the discounted amount. I checked the website and it shows that orders can be canceled within 72 hours. My husband was ready for the first account to end and now we have another account with them. I wrote an email to them explaining that I wanted to cancel and they just sent me a letter in the mail explaining that I agreed to the contract and that they have a recording of the agreement.

This company is very deceiving and they somehow trick you into agreeing to their magazines. I now receive 8-10 calls a day on my cell phone from this company. The number shows up as an "unknown caller", but each time that I have answered, it is a representative from United Readers. I also sent them an email explaining to them that I would like to change my number from my cell to my house number because they continue to call me during class and while at work. I still receive the calls on my cell phone. They did not even respond to my email. I send emails to them because I am scared that they are going to somehow extend my "contract" or sell me something else that I do not know about. This has turned into a nightmare!! I am afraid to answer my cell phone or any other phone.

Just yesterday I received a phone call at my office from someone that was taking a survey that she said she was giving to local businesses. My free prize for answering the questions was 5 magazines. The call was from the same company!! Now they are calling businesses. This should not be allowed. When I realized what was going on, I told the caller that I was angry that they were making these calls and that I was already tricked into a contract with them on my personal phone. The caller hung up on me. This needs to stop. I do not know what to do and I am tired of being harassed daily because of a bunch of stupid magazines that go straight into the trash.

I just sent a complaint to the Federal Trade Commision. If anyone has any other advice to give me, I would very much appreciate it!!!

• Ri
    Rick VW Mar 25, 2009

Rick VW :I also have this situation . Readers Sorce is deducting money from my account . I have told them to cancel but when I do they hang up on me .There was a call from them on Saturday night and the guy claimed to be a Supervisor . My wife told him to stop calling the house and hung up on him .He was very rude to her telling her she didnt know what she was talking about and she hung up on him.He called back and I answered the phone .I told him I was recently laid off and wanted the account stopped and he said he was glad to hear I was unemployed and he was going to start taking a extra 10.00 out of our account and hung up on me so now I will be getting billed 59:00 from them !

• Sw
    swimmer Apr 06, 2009

WE RECEIVED A$300.99 CHARGE ON OUR CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT IN NOV.08 WHICH I FOUND OUT WAS FOR 3 MAGAZINES WHICH WE CANCELLED AND ALSO A $274.99 CHARGE FOR 3 OTHER MAGAZINES IN AUG.08 WHICH HAVE BEEN CALNCELLED. ONE ALREADY HAD AN EXISTING SUBSCRIPTION TO EXPIRE OCTOBER 2009. WE HAVE CONTACTED THE BILLING COMPANY (MAGAZINE DATA CENTER) WHO REFERED US TO U S READERS WHO ANSWER THEIR PHONE AS UNITED READERS.[protected]) THEY SAID TOO BAD CAN'T CANCELL. TOLD THEM WE DID NOT ORDER THOSE MAGAZINES AND WOULD NOT HAVE AUTHORIZED A $274.99 OR $300.99 CHARGE FOR ANYTHING. SHE SAID TOO BAD. TOLD HER I WAS GOING TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE CALIF. STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, AND THE US ATTORNEY GENERAL WHICH I
    AM IN THE PROCESS OF DOING. WE GOT SEVERAL CALLS AT 7AM FROM A WOMAN WHO TOLD US WHEN WE TOLD HER WE DID NOT ORDER SUBCRIPTIONS THAT SHE WOULD CHARGE US AT A HIGHER RATE AND HUNG UP. WE FINALLY CHANGED OUR CREDIT CARD # BUT THAT WAS TOO LATE.

• Su
    Suzanne Apr 06, 2009

Some quick advice -
    If they're calling persistantly, ask to be put on their "Do Not Call" list. While this won't work initially, document the times, the number of requests, and the person you spoke to. Speak to a Supervisor and tell them that these calls are now legally considered harrassment, and that if they call even one more time, you will report them to the authorities. This worked for me.

Also, even if you have cancelled your "membership", they can renew it. They send out a harmless looking letter about every two years, saying thqat if you do not contact them, your account will be reopened. I ignored the letter, and started getting magazines again. You have to call and ask to be put on the "Do Not Call", AND the "Do Not Mail" list. I just did this today and was assured by Melanie that my account was cancelled and that they would not be in contact again. Ever. We'll see. . .

Their phone number is [protected].

• Ab
    AbbysMommy Apr 22, 2009

They sound like Heartland. Heartland acted like I was taking a survey about my favorite magazines and all of a sudden I owed them several hundred dollars for 5 magazines for 60 months. I had to contact BBB to finally get them to stop calling me 5+ times a day because I wouldn't pay the bill I supposedly owed. I got the call from Readers source and was like... Sounds like another scam! They said that I had 5 magazines that I subscribed to from their companyand I told the guy, that impossible, I paid for the magazines that I do get up front and don't owe anyone anything for magazines. He said that he would have to check what was going on and call me back. This was 4 days ago. He hasn't called back yet.
    The number that showed up on my caller ID is [protected]

• Ab
    AbbysMommy Apr 22, 2009

Another thought that I just had was... I think they are heartland! They have to be. The same tricks, the same calls. I think they probably change their number and name. I bet that this is how they are never listed as being a "bad" company with the BBB!

Anyone else think the same thing?

mandy828 May 20, 2009

I got a phone call in April from a girl who said using my Visa entered me in a sweepsstakes, and that I was a finalist. They already had my phone number and address, and the last 4 numbers of my card. She told me she was new to the company and wanted to go through the information & have me repeat everything to make sure I understood. At first, she told me about some free magazines I could sign up for. Then she said I had the option to get 5 subscriptions at a locked in discounted rate for 2 years. She also told me about a diamond watch that I could get for free if I signed up. I told her I did not want to pay for anything and I did not want any magazines. Then she told me her supervisor wanted to talk to me and make sure that she had done a good job, was corteous, etc. I talked to this woman, who went through everything again. Then I told them again that I did not want any magazines. They thanked me for my time and said they would contact me after the drawing if I was a winner in the Visa sweepstakes.
    After that phone call, I called my bank and they told me that Visa had no sweepstakes. I cancelled that card immediately. I never got any magazines, so I assumed everything was fine. Last week, I received a bill in the mail for $34.20 from United Readers. I called the customer service number to cancel, and the woman told me I was locked in for the 2-yr plan, and that if I didnt pay it would go to collections. I got a phone number off of this site [protected]) and told the woman what happened. She said she would check into it and call me back. She also told me that $34.20 was not one of their billing options and she didn't know why I had the bill for that amount. I got a call back about an hour later from a supervisor named Stacy who said that United Readers hires outside companies to call and get new customers. She said she cancelled my account and would find out what company was making those calls. She also said she would credit my Visa $34.20. The number Stacy called me back on was [protected], which is an Ohio area code.
    I hope this helps you guys.

• Me
    Melissa Astorga Jun 17, 2009

I received a call on February 2009 from Barbie offering a magazine service. She told me I would have to pay $34.20 every two months for 7 mangazines. I chose the magazines and gave her my credit card to charge it ONLY FOR THE FIRT TIME. Barbie told me I would receive the magazines and the welcome package wihtin two weeks, that did't happen. I called on the third week, and I was told that it would take two more weeks. Eight weeks passed and no magazines or welcome package. I called again and talked to Stacy and she told me to wait one more month!!! I tried to cancel the contract but I could't since it is supose to be a two year contract and it was not their fault the magazines did not arrive. Aren't they supose to make sure they arrive on time??? Not only that, United Readers made TWO fraudulent charges to my credit card, since I did not authorized them to charge it for future monthly payments. I receive one magazine every once in a while and an issue late. I will take legal accions again them for thiefs. BE CAREFUL!!! Any body want to join me agains them?

• Bo
    Bolitochrome Jul 17, 2009

I am going through the same nightmare. This company called me and told me they were actually another company, Interstate Readers League of Atlanta, and that they needed to confirm my account information. I was a complete ### and went along with it. It wasn't until now, MONTHS LATER, that I realized that I am getting billed for "magazines" from Readers Source. They even claim they are sending me the same magazines my original subscription with IRL. I have reported this business to the Federal Trade Commission, reported it as fraud to my bank, changed my bank account information, and am trying to contact them to see what they want me to do to cancel my account with them. If the want more money, I may just go through with a lawsuit. Someone needs to teach these guys a lesson.

Also interesting: Their two "home bases" are in Lakewood, CO and Lakewood, OH. I confirmed that these towns exist, but it seems like too much of a coincidence.

madisonepstien Jul 30, 2009

IM SORRY PEOPLE
    I was doped into working for a this company through a temp service in Georgia I got paid 6.55 per hour to call you all and sell magazines... here is the catch when we call we say our name and where were calling from so fast most people miss it and then we slow down for the sweepstakes info so people here what they will never win (computers, trips, cars, tv’s and the grand prize of $25, 000 in cash
    then go on and say just so you know how you got here each year the major credit card companies V MC DISC and AMEX choose people and we say congratz a lot so people thing they are winning some thing... then next we ask for our survey of the 4 major credit cards which on gives you the best service and when you say I like my visa... we know you have a visa... so we go on and ask for our survey may i ask are you married if you say no then we ask your age cause they only sell to people born between [protected] any older they might die before the company gets its money or younger and the kid will never pay... then we ask what you do for a living and most people tell us... so now we have that you are married or single you have a major cc or debit card and you have a job so you can pay...
    next we told them congratz just for participation get that PARTICIPATION you will receive a 3 day 2 night vacation congraz again we will send you a list tomorrow morning of 80 different places to choose from
    Next paragraph we go fast again about magazines first 2 are free next one is a weekly of 4 to choose from JET, ESPN, ROLLING STONE or TV GUIDE... and then we throw in 2 of the sellers choice for a total of 5 mags...
    we explain they get the VACATION -- 4 complementary magazines and the only one there paying for in the weekly magazine for just 3.99 per week and then say we will send them a list of over 400-500 magazines incase they want to switch them ever...
    We were told to go so fast in the telling YOU the price that you didn’t have time to hear what we were saying
    And we also asked you to grab a pen
    And here is what I was told to tell you

Now Jane do you have a pen and paper there because I have some real important info about the drawing... ok the drawing will be held on a day say like jan1st 2010 and we are giveing away 2000 prizes so do you have and alternate number so when you win we can call you and YOU give us your cell number or your work number or your mom's home phone number ( think we got all these numbers and are now selling your number to other companys) then we say...
    I’m a little new here so my awards supervisor is going to cal you back in a few minutes to make sure I was nice and if you could put in a good word for me I get brownie points on the board OKAY and most people were like sure bill ill do that for you and then we give you an order number 5555 any number and our name again bill so then the awards supervisor calls back but all they really are is a capper to CAP the sale

I hope some of this helps the company I worked for was

UNITED READERS SERVICE in flowery branch GA.

phone number there is
    [protected]

• Sw
    sweetlilangelfmn2009 Nov 02, 2009

I have a complaint to is there something we can all do my son got talked into buying magazines he didnt want the guy kept at him and he gave in . I told him to hang up the phone . He gave them his bank card number i made him change it the next day . But they ripped him off took the money out of his checking not one magazine that was in May this is Nove mber 2, 2009 since that date my son told them no not interested they called about 15 times and they are trying to charge him another 49.98 then they said if he dont pay it by november 1 that for him to avoid Finance charges Please remit the amount due by 11/1/09 a payment of 1149.54 will pay your entire balance . They are scamming people is there any place to call to get help sue these con artists I My dad helped me write a letter to them telling them we will go to the attorneys generals office to get bring charges. I dont know if BBB can help i couldnt find a toll free number . I also did the do not call list several times . and it didnt work they call all times of the day in the morning sometimes and other times at night . The readers souce we are dealing the phone number here is [protected] we got a ton of phone numbers from Denver Lakewood colorado 80226

• Fl
    Fleur'sMom Dec 21, 2009

I was also, unfortunately, contacted by the United Readers group regarding a sweepstakes. I spoke to Summer first, who told me of my great luck at being selected as a finalist. I agreed to the weekly issue, only to be entered to win either the $25, 000 or a brand new Chevrolet Silverado. Summer then told me that, since she was new to the company, her supervisor would be contacting me at a later time to ensure that she was courteous and professional. Approximately 2 minutes later, another lady telephoned and was equally excited to give me a watch, 6 free magazine subscriptions, and entry into a grand prize sweepstakes. It was during this call, and only after I asked explicitly, that I learned of the four year commitment to the weekly publication subscription at $19.99 per month. I was informed that all I had to do to get everything started was pay for my first month's subscription using my debit card and the remaining payments would be billed to me. When I told Ms. Supervisor that I was uncomfortable giving that information over the phone, I was told that the company was in good standing with the Better Business Bureau and given a website to view while we were in-call. Instead of visiting the website given, I looked up the company under scam websites. The supervisor asked me if I was on the website. I told her that I was on a different one and that the people were posting some unpleasant claims against her company. She immediately became defensive and told me that problems only arose when people agreed to the terms and then tried to cancel. I was told that if I intended to pay my bills, there wouldn't be a problem. I then asked if I could continue research on the company and be contacted a few days later. I was told, "thank you for your time, have a merry Christmas." Then she hung up on me. I immediately contacted my financial institution even though I hadn't given any account information over the phone. I hope all ends well.

• Na
    Nancy J Kline Jan 11, 2010

I had the manager of Reaqders promise me he wouldn't take the money out until the 1 of Feb. he must have taken it out as we were speaking and now my mortgage payment might bounce. He promised me he would fix my problems with Heartland Inc, also a magazine company, I believe they are working together to cause confusion. I totally feel raped by both of them.
    I have NO idea how to stop this from happening again. I need help.
    Heartland took 2 payments out at the same time, this is mean and I feel helpless to fix it. Readers Source promised they would stop Heartland from ever taking my money again!
    Heartland sent me a sheet with the names of the magazines I wanted on it on that sheet it said I had 10 days to cancel with I did by sending it to them within the 10 days then they called me and said I could not cancel because that time period was only for the original offer.

• Ny
    nylei Mar 12, 2010

The same thing happened to me 2 yrs ago. It was during christmas time. The lady who I spoke with talked fast about some sweepstakes, that I would get a free watch, and a subcription of the favorite magazines that I choose for 30+ dollars a month for a 2 yr contract. that 30+ dollars a month got a little too much so I had called to see if I could cancell, they said I couldn't since I guess I made an agreement to pay and finish my 2yr contract...but they offered to lower it to 19.99 a month but that I would get less magazines subcription...so I was fine with it.

I recently got laid off, and just today, someone called me from Uniteds readers saying that my automatic pmt did not go thru...I told them that I wanted to cancel since now I didn't have a job and I don't have enough money to pay them and that since my contract was already over 2 yrs. They said that I can't cancel, since they lowered my monthly pmts, I was then put into a 4 yr contract, I tried to explain to them I just lost my job and they gave me some excuse that that they prepay the magazine company and so I am obligated to pay.

I am thinking of just changing my bank acct so that they will not take money out of my acct but can they really put me for collections and scared that it will affect my credit?