Trustnetnorth america consumer promotion draw scam letter

L Review updated:

My elderly parents received a letter and "check" from trustnet. The letter claims "we are pleased to inform you that you are one of the winners in the 'north america consumer promotion draw' organized for all customers of... Walmart [sic], sears, homedepot [sic], safeway." they then go on to say that the prize is $50, 000, and the the check enclosed is to be cashed and returned in the form of money transfer in order to pay the "non residents" [sic] tax applicable to the winning. My parents identified this as a scam, but I thought i'd report it to help others.

Their scam uses a bunch of different addresses to confuse the reader (or cover their tracks):

- the return address on the envelope was metro hall station, 55 john st., toronto, on m8v3c3 (I looked this up, it's a toronto civic center).
- the trustnet address on the letterhead is 4333 charles drive, salt lake city (misspelled with saltlake all one word), telephone [protected].
- the claim agent is listed as nicole newman, phone number [protected] (a toronto area code).
- the tax agent (the person you're supposed to send $3, 880 to) is listed as sara jean, 453 2nd avenue, ottawa, canada, m6r3c5 (which google maps can't locate).
- the letter is "signed" by m. Disher (vice president), phone number [protected].
- the enclosed check for $3, 990.00, made out in my father's name, is supposedly written on the account of helmsman management services llc, 185 decker ct, irving, tx 75062, from fleet national bank in hartford, ct (which no longer exists because it was bought out by bank of america in 2007).

• Om
    OMSun Sep 11, 2009

We received one too...beware of this scam and do not call the numbers!

• Ms
    msashley Sep 14, 2009

I just got one today and decided to do research. I already knew it was a scam because another person sent me one last year for $2, 990 and said deposit it to get $55, 000 more.

• Ms
    msashley Sep 14, 2009

• Sy
    Syron9 Sep 15, 2009

Got one just today: $295o.00 from Bank One in Dearborn, MI.
    Check Header says: National Insurance
    P.O. Box 182166
    Columbus, OH--43218-2166
    Check #1390
    Claims Agent: William Anderson
    (888 ) 225-4025
    "Check is for payment to the NON RESIDENTS tax "
    and "The is tax is payable you your tax agent..."

Tax Agent: Mrs. Elizebeth Jones
    104 Green Lane
    Thornton Heath London,
    UNITED KINGDOM, CR7 8BH
    Rubber stamped: A. Amanda
    (Vice President Finance)

Sound familiar? They even had my name of their 'check' printed out
    the same way I have my personal checks printed out.

• Su
    susstte Oct 05, 2009

got one yesterday, only for 990.oo.said to return 910 for taxes, and i would recieve my reward of 9100, from being picked out of a drawing, Decided to check it out, there was no return address, just a number to call, 209-589-0275. Dont know if check is any good, but wouldnot send back anything, having bank hold. Thought it could be a scam too. thanks.

• Ab
    abilenekid Oct 06, 2009

My wife got one yesterday for $3, 920. Supposed to send $2, 744 tax payment to Wendy Hamilton in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. Claims agent is Janet Reid at 1-416-822-3758. Letter was signed by C. Gilespie (V.P. Finance). Check issued from Jimmy Weaver Insurance Agency in Round Rock, Texas and drawn on Wells Fargo Bank N.A. Sounds like a scam to me!!! Interestingly, I order our personal checks through Wal-Mart Checks and just received some last week. Wonder if there's a connection????

notfallingforit Oct 08, 2009

I received one of these checks today with exact same info as above: for $3, 920. Supposed to send $2, 744 tax payment to Wendy Hamilton in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. Claims agent is Janet Reid at 1-416-822-3758. Letter was signed by C. Gilespie (V.P. Finance). Check issued from Jimmy Weaver Insurance Agency in Round Rock, Texas and drawn on Wells Fargo Bank N.A.

What is scary is the name the have on my check is the way it it actually listed on my bank account (which is slightly different on my checks). I may close my checking account and get a new one.

• Al
    alytris Oct 08, 2009

I just got one of these and yes i think it is a scam. however the check looks pretty real, so why can't i just cash the check and not contact the "company"?

• Rk
    rkw Oct 10, 2009

I received my letter this week. My girlfriend and I did some research and found this site. I had called the 888 number and a man with a foreign accent answered sounding like I just woke him from a sound sleep. The more questions I asked him the more frustrated the man became. I said that I would take the check to the bank and as soon as they could verify the checks authenticity then I would give him a call back. ...the phone call ended abruptly. Surprise! Surprise! rkw

mallorys Nov 02, 2009

these people who are sending those checks need to be put in jail!!! i got a check today and went to cash it and the police where called on me!!! now i have taken a lawsute out on Trustnet the F.B.I. is involved!!! haha to Trustnet hope you enjoy the rest of your lil scams!!! thanks

• Ak
    Akima Nov 08, 2009

I just received one this week as well. I looked up trustnet and emailed them asking of those people actually worked for them. I did not use the contact info in the letter. Of course the people listed do not exist.

I just knew it would be too good to be true. But as I did enter contest with one of the companies listed I felt I had to check. It would have sucked to have it be legit and I did nothing.

The biggest thing that got be wondering though was why on earth would they send a check if it were legit but say you could not cash it and that payment would be made via moneygram in one sentence and via certified check in another sentence.
    There were just too many contradictions in the letter.

Glad I did not try and cash it. I feel bad for the person who did in another comment.
    I hope they catch all those that are behind it.

• Pa
    pascaldowling Nov 09, 2009

This is a fraud. The name 'Trustnet' and the logo have been stolen from a legitimate research website based in the UK and are being used to give credibility to the scam.
    I am the publisher of Trustnet and can confirm that under no circumstances does our website offer money, advice, or the opportunity to transact business to US citizens for any reason.
    Any communications you receive from a company calling itself Trustnet and offering services of this nature must be treated entirely as fraud and disregarded as such.

Thanks

Pascal

• Sc
    Scott Dangle Nov 18, 2009

This is fraud. I just got one today

• Se
    Seehergo Nov 18, 2009

Got one today, $3920.00. Tax agent Jeff McCall, 1210-2000 Barrington St / Halifax, NS B3J3K1, Canada. Claim Agent Amanda Boyd on 1-647-831-8480.
    I also filled out a survey for one of the companies listed on the letter. Too bad, lots of ways I could have spent $50, 000.

• Ro
    Royal49 Nov 21, 2009

Just received one today ftom Jackpot Link & Associate with a Niagara Falls, ON Canada address, but using National Bank of Huntington Ohio. Uses the same info as other scams you mentioned.Also the rounting number is same as check number. Contacts are Justin Anderson ot Sara Williams at 1-905-598-4587. Donna Dawson is Vice President. How they got my address is a mystery too with correct spelling of my name which makes it even stranger.Also no check is ever signed in the middle but at the top.No watermark and it either.

• Yv
    yvonne stoose Nov 23, 2009

Our mothers got one yesterday also. From Hamilton, Ontario. A check for 3, 000 and a phone number to call, a 905 number. He said to deposit the check to 'verify' she is who she is...then the big check would be deposited or sent via carrier...
    My brother googled the number and found pages of scam complaints.
    I called the number myself and the idiot answered and I said "shame on you! You have to deal with your soul some day...your conscience..." felt good?!

• Di
    disgusted daughter Dec 14, 2009

My mother just got one of those today. I told my parents to report it. It was a check for $3950 and came with a letter asking them to call a toll free number to speak with a claims agent. Im going to call these people tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind. Im disgusted that someone would try to take advantage of my mother like this.

jantom Dec 16, 2009

Well I'm in the growing number of people who just received this letter. Mine was for $3950.00. With all the same verbage. I hope the F.B.I. checks out this web site.

• Sh
    shelly_rk Dec 19, 2009

I received on today as well. I was told to cash the check for 985.00 but mail them back 900.00. The evenlope was postmarked Ontario, the letter came from was from Trustnet with a Texas address and the "check" was from Max Credit Union in Alabama. I'm going to mail this entire package to my local attorney general's office and see if they will investigate.

• Pr
    PRAYING JANE Dec 21, 2009

recieved one of these letters today the check is for $4, 250and all the information is the same as the first letter.I pray that they get these people soon and no one gets hurts over this. if I would have done this I would be out of my home. thank you all for the information. JANE BROWN TEXAS

• Je
    Jeanette Parton Jan 03, 2010

I recevied a check yesterday from Survey Platinum in the amount of $3420.00 and gives a breakdown of the enclosed check bearing the required funds to cover first week's assignments as follows:
    1- participation pay for first week $220.00
    2- stipulated amount for money gram evaluation $3420.00
    3- Service fee charge by money gram or wester union $200.00
    4 Required funds for retail shopping assignment (you keep the goods) $100.00

Check is made from Sea Island Credit Union, 4401 Altama Ave, Brunswick, GA 31520
    which is a real credit union and the correct address.

The Letter I received is from Survey Platinum, 1100 112th Ave 1351 Washington Blvd ste 5000, Stamford, CT 06902

Letter Signed by Hoseph Coring Rep Id #3685-09 D
    Tel 1-408-459-0523
    website survey-platinum.com

Also states for me to contact my Training Coordinator @ 209-589-0275 for furthur clarifacation.

• Da
    Daguedog Jan 16, 2010

I also received the check for $3420. The bank on mine is Citibank of Delaware...most everything else is the same. The scam works like this; You deposit the check in your account...note you have to perform the moneygram or western union action in 48 hours...this is to take advantage of the float through the federal reserve for the check. The check then bounces of course.

An old trick to knowing bad checks (taught to me by Frank Abignale of To Catch a Thief fame) is to hold the routing number and checking account number up to a light. Magnetic ink..used on all valid checks...will not relect light. These checks do reflect the light.

I emailed the fbi in my area...I suggest you do the same

• Jw
    jweaver99 Jan 18, 2010

I am Jimmy Weaver and this is a scam. My bank information was stolen and I've received over 500 phone calls. Do not send or wire them money because you will never get the money back. Please do not call me. As you can imagine this has been a nightmare for me. Thank you,
    Jimmy Weaver

• Gr
    Grandma K Jan 26, 2010

My mom got one today 50K she won, but she had to deposit the 3k check first and then call the next day to get the other check. Unbelievable.

• Jc
    JChristian Feb 22, 2010

I received one of these letters today. I called the "agent" and it was someone foreign, perhaps Indian. He told me, yes, I won $250, 000. I said I was skeptical. He said, "Would you like me to give it to charity?" I said, "What do I have to do?" He said, "Deposit the check in your account and call me back when you do." After researching on the internet, I found out it is a scam. I called "the agent" back. I told him I know it is a fraud. He laughed and laughed at me. He started being rude and distasteful. I told him I was calling the police. He kept laughing at me...

• Be
    Beta Dijeau Feb 25, 2010

Received a letter today with check drawn on Madison Company (Madison Gas and Electric co.) for $3, 100.00 so the check is a counterfit from a real company and the address on the letter to send the "Western Union Money order" was a Ball field in london but they say to call first and get the address to send it to so who knows. It looks real but it is a check cashing scheem that gets only the one who trys to cash the chech in trouble.

• Tr
    trustnet scam Mar 01, 2010

This is just insanity. I just got one of those letters today. Mine however says that it is from badger globe credit union located in Neenah, WI. Also the claim letter says that the company is in Salt Lake City UT. Please do not cash these checks.

AnnieOakley Mar 11, 2010

3/10/10 received mine today and I am insulted! I only got $985.18 with potential of $9851.80. Cash and send $900 for taxes to tax agent CARL HUNTINGTON, HALIFAX, NS, CANADA.I started googling... Interesting that the check is from Avanta Federal CU in Laurel MT which does exist, and issued by INTEGRATED PAYMENT SYSTEMS, INC in Englewood Colorado, which also exists. Googled TRUSTNET and found all you other lucky folks. Thanks for posting!!! My letter was also signed my M DISHER and had too many mis-spellings and contradictions. The cool thing is I work for a large Police Dept and trust me, I will be turning it in to the mail fraud department. Good for you all catching the scam!!! Blessings to you all. Katiann

• Fr
    Frank Harrist Apr 14, 2010

I got one today. I cashed and deposited the check. What's going to happen now?

Mark Kurfirst May 06, 2010

I just received a check for $3, 950.00 from another trustnet scam, the money is supposedly for a
    MARTHA SUMMERS, 453 2nd AVE., LONDON, UK. To pay the said taxes on $50, 000.00 that I had won.
    Their should be an internet law enforcement agency to deal with this type of fraud. This check is made out on a JP MORGAN CHASE BANK check out of Syracuse, N.Y.

MARK KURFIRST

• Bl
    bloodsucker May 07, 2010

I JUST RECEIVED A CHECK FOR 3920.00 DRAWN ON EAST WEST BANK CENTRAL ESCROW INC LOOKS REAL BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO STEP IN ### TO KNOW WHAT IT IS . WISH I COULD FIND THIS OFFICE AS I HAVE SOME VERY BORED FRIENDS WHO WOULD LOVE TO TEACH THESE PEOPLE HOW TO DANCE

• Be
    beckyknn May 21, 2010

well, i went one step further i called Sears customer service they gave me a number for the main office i gave them all the info regarding trustnet using the Sears Company name and now i have a claim # Sears will investigate i also did the same with walmart

• Pa
    Pat P Jun 01, 2010

My mother received a phone call and then a follow up letter with a check enclosed for $3, 950. I called the guy back and after I listened to his BS, I told him never to contact my mother again and I was contacting the police. Oh boy, did I get an earful of graphic obsenities! What a shame these people target seniors. I feel sorry for those that get taken.

MaryJ60 Jun 09, 2010

Wow, now that you say that seniors are targeted, I can see why they sent me a letter with a check. I just turned 50 2 weeks ago! I knew it was a scam right away...nobody sends $3, 900 checks to just anybody. Same amounts, same jargon, same addresses, same contacts. I am turning this over to the highest ranking consumer fraud agency I can find tomorrow. Also, will be contacting the same stores that beckyknn did. What I don't believe is that some people actually fall for this when there is so much information at our fingertips to figure out that this is a scam. Too bad, I wouldn't mind someome handing over almost $4, 000 to me. DARN!

• Dl
    dlpd Jun 24, 2010

I just received a check like this today. $3550.00 asking me to pay $2550.00 to Julia Jones 8 west avenue, London, UK
    This check looks so real. Except my address is all in lowercase (unprofessional). Too bad.

• Mh
    mHHK Jul 02, 2010

My dad (age 98) just received a 985.18 check from NA CONSUMER PROMOTION DRAW; letter states that 900.00 will be required for tax purposes on a CERTIFIED CHECK for amt of US $9, 851.80 is his "winning" to be sent FedEx or UPS upon contacting claim agent: Dennis Brown @ 972-213-1311.
    Return address on envelope: York Civic Centre, 2700 Eglinton Ave W. Toronto, ON M6M IVI; with Canada Post postage paid lettermail impression.
    Letterhead shows: Financial Express, One Broadway 16th Flr, Cambridge MA 02142; dated 22 Jun 2010.
    "Official Check" is from "FRANKLIN MINT FEDERAL CU"; payee name on check is completely wrong; bottom left: Remitter LINDA STONE; date: JUNE 25, 2010; Drawer: Franklin Mint Federal CU; authorized signature can't be made out. Routing #231382306; acct #31107909; check looks authentic with appropriate security emblems.
    Clearly this is a scam; just want others to be aware about it. US officials can't/won't do anything about out of country scams like this; was told it's like a flood preying on innocent elderly folks around the US. Please beware & have these innocent victims check with legitimate sources BEFORE taking any action. The old proverb: "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't", holds weight in these attacks. - HHK

• Me
    meritage Jul 15, 2010

Thank you all for your postings. I recieved a 3950 dollars check and would stupidly deposited it had it not been your stories

• Bo
    bobobo Jul 30, 2010

Yeah, I just got $3, 950 and all i have to do is send most of it to some dude in London - what a deal! I can't believe anyone would fall for this one - its just WAY to good to be true... I HOPE THEY CATCH THESE MOFO's... I also have been getting calls about winning 2 million dollars and all i have to do is send like 5k to some sweepstakes company... yea right.. if these people only knew i have zero in my account!!! ha ha.. oh well. guess I have to go back to work tomorrow!!

• Ro
    Robby M Aug 15, 2010

Just received a letter from Trustnet showing their head office address in Brighton Massachusetts. It included a check for $3950.00 written on a Wells Fargo bank in North Boulder, with no state indicated. It asked that I call their claim agent whose name is given as Nicole Brown at a telephone number with a Toronto Canada area code. It lists their tax agent as Susan Andrews at a London England address. Your efforts to expose this type of scam are very much appreciated. Thanks, Robert M.

• Al
    Alan E Ross Aug 19, 2010

THIS IS ANOTHER STORY OF BEING SCAMED AND OVER DRAWN MY ACCOUNT,
    AUG 19/ 2010
    THIRSDAY 3:45 PM
    FRM. ( [email protected] )
    I hope we can all get together and band agenst these scams, I'm tired of it .. and no one can seem to catch these son's of [censor]e;s, , So I'm writting all the information I can so you the people will know some of there angles and not get burned, like I did .

Although I was skeptic about doing what I did when I receved a check from these people,
    and what I did was when I called them the first time, , , they told me to deposit it in my checking account and then call them after and they would send a courrior or a fed ex truck to deliver my check of ( 9, 851, 18 ) and I was to give them 900. dollars for the tax on that money, ,
    Hey .//// I didn't do that, , , I simply went to my bank and cashed the check and I waited, yes the bank cashed it, , and I thought if the check was really good that they would know it right away befor cashing it . No I didn't show the bank teller the letter, , , they told me later that they would not have cashed it if they saw the letter .
    I guess what I'm trying to do is to catch a thief, , in my own type of a sting operation, , , IF some one gives some one else a check for any amount, , the person that has the check in hand to cash should not be the one who is Guilty, , , Go after the people that wrote the check, , FIind them and Make them pay no matter what ..just find these [censor] low life [censor] that they are .
    Ok heres how it now stands I went to the bank that day and cashed the check, I never heard anything from any one, , I just kept the money put away, did not spend it ..I was waitting for them to call me direct because they had my phone number, , No Call )
    about a week went by, , and then By not to much of a surprise my bank account was hit for Not 1000, 00, , but 2000, 00 Dollars, , of over draft, , , and I never even gave them my new bank account numbers, ,
    However the bank tells me that because they didn't honer their check they have to go after my account and thats what they did, But there is either Bank error, , Or some how the scam was doubled in my account and this is BUll S- - t )
    Actually when you read the following letter that they sent you"ll Understand that I was trying to scam a scammer and catch them, IF IT WAS A SCAM < I WASN"T SURE < I JUST THOUGHT THAT <<JUST MAYBE I WAS JUST LUCKY TO HAVE WON SOMETHING, BUT i GUESS NOT . HAH..
    On a new note, , Now that the bank is investagateing ( thats what I wanted them to do anyway ) and that has cost me dearly ) I came home and I called the scammer again and pretended that I just got the letter again, , , I led them to believe that at first, ,
    They asked me for the clam number again, , , and then told me to deposit it in my checking account, , , I said Why ??
    They just said because thats our Policy, , , , i told her it's not mine, she disbuted with me, , , I then started to loose my cool and told her off, but before I compleatly lost it, , I asked her where she was in what state and address, , , she was reluktent to tell me execpt, that she said she was in Buffallo NY, , and wouldn"t tell me any more, , I said I don"t think so, , and told her That I knew where she was, I also began to tell her that I already cashed the check and that the Bank went after my account because it was no good check, , and I wanted my money back, , I told her that she was a scam artest and thaT SHE WAS GOING TO BE ARRESTED, , , i SAID DO YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM ???SHE SAID SHE WAS ONLY A CALL CENTER, , THE CO WAS IN CABRIDGE MASS.
    THIS IS THE ADDRESS >>> One Broadway, 16 floor Cambridge, Mass. 02142 )
    -------------------------------------

SO WHAT I'M REVEALING TO ANY ONE WHO IS TRYING TO FIGHT THESE CROOKS, IS THAT WE HAVE TO SORT OF SET UP A STING OPERATION TO CATCH THEM,

THE FOLLOWING LETTER IS A LETTER I RECEVED FROM THE [censor] BALL SCAME ARTESTS THAT THEY ARE,

I ALSO GOT A CHECK AND A LETTER SAYING THAT WON, , OR SHOULD I SAY >> ( QUOTE >> YOU ARE -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ( OFFICIAL CHECK ) ????? REALLY )))))???
    THE ACTUIAL CHECK WAS >>>>>PRINTED IN SCRAMBLED LETTERING THAT LOOKS LIKE >>>FRAKXLIN MINT
    FEDERAL CREDIT UNION
    CK .NUMBER >282049 )
    remitter ...LINDA STONE

THEN SIGHNED yada yada yada yada yada SCRIBBELED..._____________ROUTTING NO>> 028249 231382306 3110 79209

financial express

CLAIM NO. CMT 08-06-98

tel, 1-617 - 322- 2010 One Broadway, 16th floor
    Cambridge Ma.02142
    Aug. 3 / 2010

RE: AWARD CLAM NOTIFICATION

ENTITLED TO THE SUM OF >>US$ 9, 851, 80 ) CONGRATULATIONS )
    IT READ QUOTE )
    WE ARE PLEASED TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUARE ONE OF THE WINNERS IN >> ( NORTH AMERICA CONSUMER PROMOTION DRAW, , organized of Wal Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Safeway etc. ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

PAYABLE TO YOU BY CERTIFIED CHECK, , TO BE DELIVERED TO YOU BY COURIER CO. ( FED EX, OR UPS, )
    you are therefore advised to contact your agent :

NANCY LOWES ON 1-716-240-1360 )
    IS WHO I TALKED TO THAT RUDELY HUNG UP ON ME
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    MON. THRU FRI>> 8AM --TO 9 PM SAT 8AM TO 4 PM
    EASTERN TIME, , , STANDARD TIME FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CLAIM YOUR WINNINGS

WE HAVE ENCLOSED A CHECK FOR US 985, 18 ) PER YOUR STATE REULATIONS, A TAX AMOUNT 900.00 WILL BE REQUIRED BEFOR LUMP SUM WINNING CAN BE SENT TO YOU .
    TAX AMOUNT 900.00
    ( IT ALSO SAYS )
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    DO NOT ACT ON THIS LETTER UNTIL YOU SPEAK WITH YOUR AGENT

j.j. SPARKS
    - - - - - - - - - -
    VICE PRESIDENT FINANCE

walmart VISA Mastercard, Target home deopt, Amr Express, 7 eleven ------------------
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    THIS WAS THE LETTER I RECEVED,
    aNYONE IN THE SAME SITUATION FROM THESE SWEATHOGS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, AND CONVERSE WITH ME I WANT SOME JUSTUS DONE AND THESE CROOKS CAUGHT AN ME PAID BACK,
    pLEASE CONTACT ME >( [email protected] )
    Thankyou, , , , Alvis ...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices