San Jose Mercury News / subscription charges in conflict with my directions
I requested -- in 2018 --to cancel my paper delivery subscription because of the high cost (>$600/y).
The San Jose Mercury News informed me that I was charged for 1y and the subscription cannot be cancelled with prorated refund. They stated this issue was nonnegotiable. I directed them not to renew me in 2019.
I recently attempted to sign up for digital only access at $9.99 / mo.
The Mercury News informed me that they continued to send the paper to me even after the paper delivery subscription expired, and I owe them $150. They informed me that I must pay this before digital access could occur, and their position is nonnegotiable.
In my opinion, the position of this company in both cases that I must pay for a service I do not want is unethical, and treating a more than 10y customer with a response that the issues are nonnegotiable is appalling, especially considering that I was attempting to continue a customer relationship with the San Jose Mercury News.
More San Jose Mercury News Complaints & Reviews
- San Jose Mercury News - annoying phone calls and repeat billings 
- San Jose Mercury News - high pressure sales tactics/automatic renewal 
- San Jose Mercury Newspaper - delivery problems 
- San Jose Mercury Newspaper - news delivery scam 
- San Jose Mercury News - incessant hang up calls
- Sanjose Mercury News - abusive, unethical and misleading sales practices 
- San Jose Mercury News - never delivered, but keeps charging, even after cancellation 1 yr later
- San Jose Mercury News - delivering a sj mercury 1 day per week when 7 days per week was agreed to
- The Mercury News - sunday paper
- San Jose Mercury News - subscription to news paper which never was delivered!