Menu
Home Furniture Tepperman's life and property insurance charges

Tepperman's review: life and property insurance charges

P
Author of the complaint
2:01 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have just gotten off the phone with a manager in the London location of Teppermans and I am steamed.

My wife and I purchased a washer and dryer set in August of 2010. At the time I signed the contract there was an additional charge for Life and Property insurance in the amount of $274.91. At the time of signing I was told that this protection was being extended free of charge for 30 days and that if I wanted to cancel it alI I had to do was call in prior to the end of the thirty days and cancel it. I had done the same thing in 2008 on a furniture purchase and at that time was told I had to submit the cancellation in writing and that a phone call was not legally binding on them to cancel the insurance policy. Enough said, in both instances I cancelled the coverage, in writing prior to the 30 day period elapsing.

Fast forward to February of 2012, at which point the account is due. My wife makes the payment of the account balance in full (or so she thought) and all is good right? Not so. We recently received a statement outlining a payoff balance of $284.27.in talking to an account person in Windsor I was told that this was the amount due for the administration fee ($79.95) and the Insurance ($274.91). First observation is that the figures don't add up. but did not point that out on the phone. When I told the account person that I had cancelled the insurance I was told that they had no record of that and that I would have to talk to a local manager about the discrepancy. I received a call back in about ten minutes from the manager on duty in London.

To make a long story short, this manager proceeded to tell me that "your balance is $284.27 and that is with no added interest or charges." "Why would I pay added interest or charges" I asked, "my account was paid off prior to the due date." I was told that they had a record of my cancellation call in 2008 and another in 2010. When pressed on this point the person said yes to there having been a call placed in 2008 but not 2010. No wonder I said as I was already aware that my cancellation had to be in writing. I was told that they had never received my cancellation and expect me to pay the insurance costs or produce my facsimile or email for them to reverse the charges now. I do not have the fax and said so. The manager again told me my balance was $284.27, in a flippant manner designed to annoy. I then told her I had no intention of paying for the insurance as I had cancelled it. I also told her I would be happy to pay the administration fee that is outstanding and she told me that the balance would not be cleared and threatened me that the balance would be listed at the credit bureau and be a mark against my credit. "Whatever, good bye' I answered and hung up.

Be careful with these people. They are very careful to put all their ducks in order when it comes to collecting everything they feel is due them, but are less than helpful or honest when the deal is happening.

More Tepperman's complaints & reviews

Tepperman's - misleading about account
Tepperman's - ripping people off
Tepperman's - delivery charges
Tepperman's - warranty
1 comments
Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Dear P.J.,

I've just been notified of your comments here. I believe I've been able to locate you in our system based on the information you've provided here. I will be looking into this matter ASAP, and will follow-up with you directly within the next day or so. While I still need to get some additional information, its clear that your recent experiences at Tepperman's have been frustrating, and that's never our intention. Please accept my apologies.

As I said I will be contacting you in the near future, but should you wish to contact me directly, you can reach me at [protected], ext. 1495.

Sincerely yours,

Noah Tepperman

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

65 complaints