Swissport Internationalaircraft services

J Jul 06, 2019

Good Afternoon,

I hope you are well, but I have some issues which need resolving within the company…
My name is Jill Sanders and I am currently working as an Aircraft Services Supervisor at East Midlands Airport, EMA. I joined the company on 18/03/2019 thinking it would be a good move… It was the biggest mistake I have ever made, I will tell you why!
When joining the company I was told that there was going to be a big recruitment drive and we will have plenty of staff on shifts to take the work load off of a lot of staff members, I was told many things upon starting! It sounded perfect, but then after around a month cracks started to show and staff members wasn't shy on expressing their opinions…
Here are the problems;
1 - Pay: When joining I received my contract, it STATES my wage is £9.29 but risen to £9.67, also on the contract is states my basic weekly hours are 37.5hours, it then goes onto say about overtime… '12.3: Overtime will be calculated over either a 4 or 5 week pay reference period in accordance with pay periods published annually in advance by the company. Overtime payments will be processed in the subsequent month and any entitlement to additional over time pay is subject to you having worked additional hours above those which were scheduled within the roster cycle and over the normal average weekly hours as specified in clause 10.1 above.' 12.4: Overtime will be paid at you basic hourly rate where the average weekly hours are equal to or less than the agreed designated full time hours at your place of work during any pay reference period. Thereafter additional hours worked above an average the designated full time hours per week during any particular pay reference period, will be paid at basic hourly rate plus one quarter.' Now this is what my contract states.. I work over 37.5 hours a week, I work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts weekly, sometimes I do more. Now on my payslip I have been paid either £10.97 or £9.67 for my overtime, as my contract states it should be time and a quarter which would make my overtime rate £12.08. I have tried to claim this as back pay but the company refuse to pay this, the reason why? This is the response from the admin team to my complaint regarding the Overtime, ‘ Hi Jill, yes you are correct that is what your j14 contract says but that is not the contact you should have been issued and payroll are paying according to the aircraft services contract you should have received. Im waiting the hear from HR regarding how we move forward and we will be issuing the correct contracts very soon.' So this is the response I got, now when was I going to be told they placed me on the wrong contract? Not just me either, I have been fighting for my back pay for a while now and they have only just told me this. I have been trying to claim back my DBS money since I started, and still have not received. I have missing overtime every month and its just not fair anymore.
Now I am taking this further because this is not a mistake of mine, I have signed a legally binding contract and that is what ill be using as my evidence, along with all my emails with different excuses on them.
2 - Staff: Since I have been here, there has always been favouritism and it has been obvious from the get go. Because of this, the staffing situation is a mess! Day team have plenty of people throughout, most of these people are made up of the favourites.. Then we have the night team, what a joke… It was clear from the start that the night team did not have enough staff and were over worked and always underpaid for it. But because of their hours of work they never have a chance to raise the issue to any management due the their shift pattern. Every night shift I have ever done I have always been short on staff by atleast 4/5 people, obviously im going to help my team out first and then do my paper work after, which usually means me getting out late every shift and no thanks for it. Within these night shifts, staff are expected to complete deep cleans and intermediates, they barely have enough time to do the task in hand, they definitely do not have the time to do any extra work! Im not surprised so many staff members have been singed off sick, because this job makes you ill, your over worked, understaffed, underpaid, underappreciated and you are just a number, never any thanks!

Although I haven't been in the company for very long, I have seen enough and I cant do the job anymore. Its extremely stressful, I have been a supervisor for different companies in the past and its nothing like this. I came form a well paid job to come here to try and help improve the company, but no body wants to listen to you, but when they do listen to you nothing is ever taken on board, so why ask for our advice which could quite clearly help the company out? The management is a joke, only me and the other supervisor seem to do any work. So therefor, I have handed in my resignation and will be finishing a week today (13-07-2019).
I am emailing you because I wanted you to know what's going on behind the scenes, and when I say there is more that is going on then please believe me and I would be more than happy to talk about this with you.
Also, I wanted to know what you intend to do regarding my back pay for my overtime, because if it not paid I will be taking this to court as its breaking a legally binding contract, also due to the stress this has caused me I will be going for that too…
I hope to hear a response from you, if not I will begin proceeds on 15/07/2019.
Kindest Regards,