Stanford Health CareDr. Dewan and charge nurse...

L Oct 18, 2020
This review was posted by
a verified customer
Verified customer

I would like to start this email off by saying that I am grateful for the outstanding care my husband received from the Head & Neck Oncology team at Stanford.

Dr. Floyd Hollsinger is an amazing, doctor. He saved my husbands life. He assembled an outstanding care team for him. Everyone from the doctors, their staff and the nurses on the 2nd floor, where my husband was for more than 14 days in total are second to none.

The radiation and chemo staff were, again, second to none. Amazing!!!

Now the problem...

Because of covid, my husband had to wait to get his voice prosthesis put in. The delay caused the area to shrink, so putting it in surgically was the only option. Enter Dr. Dewan...

That woman should NOT be allowed to ever touch another patient. She really botched it. Again, that woman should NOT ever do another surgical procedure. Maybe taking a splinter out of someones finger is more her speed.

In July, she did the surgery on my husband, and sent him home the same day, when he was supposed to be kept overnight. Well, the valve failed and he had to be rushed back to the hospital the next day. Her excuses were, at best, poor. We made sure she was off his care team after that. She BOTCHED the procedure.

During all this, I am on the phone trying to get an idea of what's going on with him, because I can't get in the building.
I was told by the person who answered the phone that "he isn't scheduled to be here until 8:30" HE WAS THERE AT 7AM. Then I'm told "he left the building" WHAT?? Where did he go? Nobody knew anything!!!

Enter Dr. Edward Damrose... He took care of business. Yesterday, 10/16/20, he went in and took care of the problems that Dr. Dewan had caused to my husband's throat.
Dr. Damrose is what Stanford's reputation is built on. He's EXCELLENT. He called me at 1:48 pm, and discussed what happened, what he found, what to expect, etc.
At 3:13 pm, I receive a call from recovery and they said he's wide awake, and they were just waiting for his room to be ready, so at 4:15 pm, I decided to head down and be close by when I got the call he was going to be in his room.
I was waiting OUTSIDE in 90 degree heat. Nowhere to get anything to drink because we aren't allowed in any building. Couldn't walk anywhere, because nothing is close and it was way too hot.

At 6:23 pm, I had to call someone to find out what was going on. He was STILL in recovery waiting to get to his room, and there would be another delay because of the upcoming shift change. He spent less time in recovery when he underwent his 12 hour surgery back in August.

I apologized to the Recovery Room nurse ahead of time, because I told her that I was about to go off... and I did. Seems the Charge Nurse in the unit they were going to take him to was in over her head. I finally got a TEXT saying he was being transported to his room at 7:21 pm, and visiting hours are over at 8PM. I was already home.
If they were going to be delayed this long, why didn't someone use common sense and just transfer him to another room? It's not rocket science!
Stanford, you need to step up your game in your hiring practices. The charge nurse really needs to be demoted or removed from your payroll all together. This is NOT ok. This is NOT ethical. This is NOT professional.

Post your comment

    By clicking Submit you are agreeing to the Complaints Board’s Terms and Conditions


    Unhappy consumers gather online at and have already logged thousands of complaints.
    If you see dozens of complaints about a certain company on ComplaintsBoard, walk away.
    One of the largest consumer sites online. Posting here your concerns means good exposure for your issues.
    A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices.
    ComplaintsBoard is a good source for product and company gripes from especially dissatisfied people.
    You'll definitely get some directions on how customer service can best solve your problem.