South African Airwaysbad service

We were booked on the SAA 424 flight from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg then on KLM 592 to Amsterdam and Aer Lingus 605 to Dublin.

The thing that wrecked the end of our holiday was the disappearance of our bags. We made the mistake of putting our bags straight through to Dublin rather than take them off in Johannesburg to put them on the KLM flight to Amsterdam ourselves.

One of the bags turned up a week and a half later with things stolen out of it and clothes it it that were not ours and the other one is still lost 2 and a half weeks later as I am writing this. At no point in time was the last carrier, which is made responsible, able to tell us where our bags were. In fact what irony that the system they swear by is the one that had the lady from baggage saying both our bags were still listed as missing and location unknown when the Aer Lingus van turned up outside our house with the first bag.

Three days ago was 2 weeks since we landed and three days after the first bag turned up. I had written to my father, who lives in Pretoria, asking him if he would go to JHB to look for the bag that was still missing and untraceable. It took him 10 minutes to find the bag there amongst of a flood of other bags condemned to the same fate as mine was. It had been opened, things had been stolen, the name tag had been ripped off as well as the label bearing the flights it was supposed to be on, gone. He then proceeded to get the bag put on the next KLM flight to Amsterdam. It has now been 3 days since then and Aer Lingus is still incapable of telling me where my bag is with their system that �¢ï¿½ï¿½works�¢ï¿½ï¿½.

Special thanks would go first and foremost to the South African baggage handlers who helped themselves to Christmas presents in people's bags and then leave the bags to rot. Secondly I would also love to thank the South African airways managers for not having these criminals put in jail never mind fired. And then also special thanks goes out to the airport authorities all over the world, KLM and Aer Lingus in this case, that are incapable of enforcing some kind of retrieval operation when they clearly know where the bags went missing and why.

What I would recommend for anyone flying to South Africa:

1)If you can avoid JHB and fly to CT, do it.

2)If you have to fly through JHB, make sure to take your bag off the flight you are on and see to it personally that it goes on the next flight.

3)If you can survive with a large hand luggage do it even if it means posting stuff yourself you buy on holiday.

4)Attach a name tag containing your phone number with international prefix to your bag that is very difficult to remove.

5)When the person at check-in puts the label on your bag make sure it goes on in such a way that would not be ripped open if someone were to search through your bag for valuables.

6)Don't trust anyone when they say that are doing everything possible to get your bag back because they are doing nothing other than waiting for it to turn up.

• Ro
    robin Aug 25, 2008

Andre de Goede flew back from JHB Friday night on the SAA flight that landed in PE 21h30. There was NO air-conditioner and NO hot water facilities/was not 'functioning'. A cold meal was served so there was no need for heating. Its a VERY worrying factor, because one tends to wonder what the state of the rest of the aircraft is in?!

Small things matter!

Danie Strydom Mar 28, 2010

I felt so strongly after my daughters presents were stolen from my moms luggae that i dedciated a site to the south african airways. I know very little about web design and keywords etc, but i regurlaly get 1000 people a month to have a look at my site, and hopefully someone will listen and book with another ailine and fly to the airports recommended by people on blogs and forums like this one. Please have a look at my website http://www.dontflysaa.com and please sign the guestbook if you have something to say. I don't edit comments. lol

Dan Kowalski116 Aug 26, 2010

My wife and I traveled from JFK to Windhoek in July with a transfer in Johannesburg. We went to Namibia because she has family living there. We had two checked in bags that conveniently didn't make the Windhoek flight with us. SAA delivered the bags to us a few hours later and we discovered that the locks protecting our stuff had been picked. The baggage handlers had stolen almost all of the gifts that we bought with us. About $1300 worth of clothing and make up were gone. We complained to the airline the next day and filed a claim.

Long story short about forty days later I get a check in the mail offering me $40 as a final settlement. I couldn't even cash it if I wanted to because they totally butchered my name. I called to complain but the claims specialist handling my case could not care less.

If you ever have to fly to Africa from the U.S. then use an airline that goes to Europe and then transfer from there. It's a little longer but it's better then having your stuff robbed. SAA claims to value integrity and hospitality. If that was true then they wouldn't have this disturbingly common problem.

Dan Kowalski116 Sep 10, 2010

If you had your bags tampered with on a SAA flight and are on facebook then please join my group 'Victims of South African Airways Baggage Handlers'. Publicize how [censor] this airline is.

• Ba
    Baksser Sep 16, 2010

I hate you with a passion. I have spent over 20 hours on the phone trying to organise a flight. You give wrong information, you hang up and never call back, you can't even take down my number incase the line drops (which it does often). Then you transfer me after 30 minutes to someone who doesn't know what we were talking about. HOW FRUSTRATING.

Hate is a strong word but I really do hate you. I will tell everyone how pathetic your service is. I am surprised that anyone flies with you after all I still haven't sorted out my flight.

• Ga
    Gavincohn Nov 15, 2010

My wife is travellinh to Australia in December with my two kids ages 6 and 4 and they don't book her seat with my children meaning she is sitting 2 roes back while my 6 yrs ok'd and 4 yrs old travel alone, now the rude staff at saa don't and won't assist, surely this is unacceptable on any account, how stupid can you be to book the mother and kids two roes apart on a overnight international flight

• Ur
    Uriman Jan 12, 2011

I am still waiting for a response from their call center since yesterday!

I have phone 3 times today and each time I have been on hold for over 15 minutes. SAA should be shut down, banned, outlawed.

Even their supervisors are useless. Clinton promised me yesterday he would call me back, he did once and said he was still trying to sort things out and he would call me later. Today he is not there.

Brian tried to convince me that there was not a team leader available and frankly all of the call centre staff should be sent on a customer service course.

• Hi
    Hioler Jan 20, 2011

I spent 35 minutes today waiting for Kulula's call centre to take my call. this is about the 5th time I have tried. They have this 'suppose to be funny' guy keeping you entertained whilst you wait. My question is, if it was a fast and efficient call centre, why would they need this voice to 'entertain' you? I eventually gave up as before. I sent a mail and I am still waiting their reply to solve my problem.

• Ww

[url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/Replica-Lighters]replica lighters[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/Replica-Wallet]replica wallet[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/T-Shirt-Replica]t shirt replica[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/Belt-Replica]belt replica[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/Replica-Pens/replica-mont-blanc-pens]mont blanc replica pens[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/Replica-Pens/Cartier-Replica-Pens]cartier replica pens[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/Replica-CuffLinks/bvlgari-cufflinks-replica]bvlgari replica cufflinks[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/]replica pens[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/]replica cufflinks[/url]
    [url=http://www.deluxe4less.com/]replica pen[/url]

• Du
    Dubaien Jan 25, 2011

I made a reservation on Saturday for a trip to Lagos from the 24 march to 4th of April, however I tried to make the payment via my credit card be declined and email was send to me from SAA that my card has been declined . I call SAA to extend my reservation but the lady told me reservation will be cancel by 12 on Monday ….. I fix my credit card and make another booking on Monday, for 25 march to 7 of April and pay for it with my credit card, I receive the confirmation that payment did go through … however the reservation that was decline the payment goes though on this daste 16 of march, I want SAA to refund that money because I did not authorize this Ticket No [protected], because I am flying with this ticket no [protected], I was online with them from 9 am to 6:30 they keep transferring my calls … someone later gave a managers no by the name Keith on [protected] he was so upset that one of his staff gave me his number ask me not to call him on his private line gave me another number that is not going through.

Dorney Jan 25, 2011

This is the second year in a row that there is mysteriously no answer at the Voyager call centre when miles are due to expire. I stand to lose another bunch of miles this year as no one answers to take a booking. When I complained last year after the fact, the attitude was 'your loss, nothing we can do'. Surely they should know this will be a very busy time, and up-staff accordingly? Or is it just a massive cost saving not to award those miles? This loyalty programme definitely doesn't work both ways. Very very disappointing.

• Vi
    Vittok Feb 08, 2011

My flight was cancelled due to the volcanic cloud - no arguement there, I would rather be safe then dead in the air - however, I was disgusted to be told by Piet Smith, team leader (red jacket!) that the airline catergorically would not be offering any advice or support regarding reasonable costs for accomodation or food. I asked him if he was aware of EU rule 261 & the montreal convention and he responded he had never heard of them. Luckily, as a lawyer, I am aware of them and will be instigating a claim in the civil court immediatley upon my return to the uk - this process has already started.

I am well aware that the airline is not responsible for weather conditions, but to leave its customers (we were a group among many) with no details of local hotels, no contributions to extended stays, poor information and the most poorly educated customer service I have encountered in many transglobal visits is unforgiviable. SAA & star alliance operate heavily in the UK, I have a number of contacts who are global flyers& will be doing my utmost to ensure that my company & all avoid star alliance and SAA in all future flying. well done SAA. you have no idea how much custom you have lost.

Anneke Claassen Mar 22, 2011

My son and I flew from Joburg to Cape Town on Sunday morning. SA327. My son were ill, and I realy did not know what to do, while in the air he had so much pain. NO ONE on that flight offered any help. The passengers around us were more worried about my son than the flight attendants. When we landed no one bothered asking if he was ok, nothing. I was very disapointing. And when I got home, one more suprice, my suitcase have been broken into and all personal belongings like camera were stolen. And I bought a lock which they cut off. Why were my camera in my suitcase, because my son was sick I had to put water bottles and medicine in my bag. No one have the right to open my suitcase and take my belongings! No matter what was in that suitcase! SAA you disapointed me...

don955 Mar 23, 2011

I travelled to Singapore on Singapore Air. They are a Star Alliance partner so you earn Voyager miles. One would assume that when you book the flight and provide your voyager membership number, one would be credited with the miles. I now need to book a flight using these miles and they have after 2 months not been credited yet.
    So I call the toll free number and am told to POST by registered mail ( I mean really) the physical boarding stubs to Voyager, so that they can confirm that I was actually on the flight. I asked if I could scan and email the stubs, but it seems that was too much of an inconvenience.
    One week later (today) I have made 5 calls, of which 3 were immediately disconnected and the other 2 placed on hold and then disconnected.
    I even emailed proof (boarding passes and Post Office receipt) to a supervisor Shaun Pretorius...this email bounced as they are having server problems!!!
    WTF is going on there???? Does anyone work there????
    Member number: 2596950
    Update: 1 month later and still nothing

DONOTFLYSAA Mar 24, 2011

I booked two return tickets from Washington to Johannesburg in January. When we arrived in SA my mother in law was very ill and we had to postpone our return ticket to April, which I did. I was told it would cost $350... a $250 re-booking fee and $100 class upgrade...and told to only pay before we fly in case we have to change it again. Today when I went to pay, they wanted to charge me $5000! They told me I had missed the cut off date to return! What cut off date? I was never informed of such a date! Due to very poor customer service and no one in the SAA offices having a clue what is going on, I have now lost my return tickets to the US and cannot afford new ones and as such both of us have lost our jobs!! I am a very very very upset customer and will never recommend SAA to anyone I know!

• Pi
    Pixie1984 Mar 25, 2011

We flew on SAA from Hong Kong to South Africa. We were disgusted how we were treated. The air Hostesses sat in the isle talking to some of the passengers ignoring all the others that were calling them. We eventually had to ask them to please be quiet as it was at night and we were trying to sleep, to be given attitude from then onwards. They then served everyone on the plane and left us for last and we were not even at the back of the plane and eventually when they came to give us our food my partner asked if he could please have a coke with the meal to be answered by the air hostess saying - No cant you see im busy...

This was the most disgusting service we have ever had and we will NEVER fly SAA again and i hope SAA shuts down, with service like this what sort of impression are we giving the tourists...

SAA you are a disgrace.

This puts South Africa to shame...

• Cj
    CJonea Apr 11, 2011

I also have to complain about the customer services provided by the SAA staff. I just came back from Kilimanjaro via Nairobi, through Johannesburg, and then connected with SAA to Namibia. My flight tickets were booked by the conference people in Kenya. I had an hour and a half checking in and boarding time between Nairobi (Kenya Airways) and Johannesburg (SAA). Upon my arrival in Johannesburg, I was informed that checking in had just closed and that I had to book another flight to Namibia. As this happens, despite me doing an earlier inquiry as to the two flights and the 2 hour requirement before checking in, I accepted my fate and booked myself on to the next available flight to Namibia which was 5 hours after the initial flight. I was excused to pay the fee of N$ 300 and I recieved my boarding pass. At the time of boarding i resented my pass and was rudely told that i was not registered on their system that I was booked on another persons seat. The team leader asked my where did I get this pass, implying that I could have obtained it fraudulently. She instructed me to go back to interline and buy a new ticket, informing me that the next available flight would only be the next day. After I insisted that she do something in order to ensure my boarding that flight, she accompanied me back to interline. Upon her logging on to the specific ticket number, she turned red with embarrasment as she realised I have infact been booked on that boarding pass. SHe tore up my previous boarding pass and ignored me when I requested the torn pass in order for me to have evidence of her bad behaviour and lack of skills in her profession. she blatantly justified her behaviour on our way back to the boarding area. In plain english she was rude and not competent to be called a team leader. I need your advice as to how I can take this matter further. I am of the opinion that individuals like these are the bad spots contaminating the rest of the staff at SAA.

• Ev
    Evadne Haines Apr 20, 2011

On January 13th, 2011 I booked 2 flights from Cape Town to Durban using SAA Voyager miles. I was quoted an amount of R306 per person for airport taxes. The amount of R482 per person was subsequently deducted from my account. (It would have been cheaper to fly on Kulula!!) I have written SEVEN letters to SAA Voyager - enclosing all the documentation requested - and have not had a single response. This surely amounts to fraud!!
    Mrs E. Haines

• Mi
    Miss WDM Jun 15, 2011

On 5th June 2011 fyling home from UK using SAA the seat i was at had a window (inside) that was loose.. now obviously the inside cover is there for a reason and when i put my head against it the cover gave in and it was attached partially attached at 1 end only. when i called the attendant she politly told me that she is sorry about that and that it is ok for me to still sit there nothing will happen to me. but im sure the cover is there for a reason and i feel that it is really unsafe. the when i wanted to sit back and try to relax and watcha movie to fall asleep, the earphones input was broken so i couldnt even sit back and relax... i was told to move somewhere in the middle wherever i wanted to but who wants to sit in the centre isle i chose to sit at the window which was my preference. then there wasnt any 2 seaters with a window seat open for my partner and i to sit at, but this didnt seem to bother the attendants 1 bit.

• Ca
    Cally Van Heerden Jul 06, 2011

I booked 2 plane tickets from Durban to East London on the 30/06/2011 for my nieces @ R1080 each. I went to the airport to pay with my cheque card. Much to my horror the amount was deducted FOUR times. Twice as R1080 and again for R2172. This is not the first time it has happened. When I called the call center to discuss this with them on a previous occassion, I was told I would have the money reversed back into my account in 48 hours. Needless to say after 2 weeks no money was in my account. I called my bank and they confirmed that they have many other clients with the same problem and they rectified the error. No follow up from SAA was done. I booked tickets for my Mom and Aunts from East London and PE to Dbn on 24/11/2010 for 15h40. My Mother only arrived on the 25/11/2010 after her flight was delayed for so many hours. They sat at the airport till 02h00 in the morning. For the price of tickets I pay it is ridiculous what appauling service I have received.

• Ax
    Axel123 Jul 22, 2011

COMPLAINT

My nephew, Chung Man Hang, was booked on your flight SA287 of 15 July 2011 out of Hong Kong to JNB with an onwards connection to CPT at 10:05h. Chung Man Hang is a 10 year old minor and was supposed to enjoy your UM service for which the full adult rate was charged.

He arrived at O.R. Tambo this morning at around 08:00h. At 08:30h I received a phone call from JNB immigration telling me that Chung was held there pending payment of R 1, 000.00 for an alleged overstay of 2 weeks in 2010. If I wanted the child ‘released’, I had to pay the money in cash. When I explained that I was in Cape Town and had no means to hand over cash money to the official at the Johannesburg airport, I was told that I may deposit the money (in cash) to the immigration official’s personal bank account and fax her the receipt. Not knowing what was going on and with no way to verify that I really had spoken to an official, I tried to contact SAA here in Cape Town and in Johannesburg. I telephoned your customer service on [protected] who gave me the number of ACSA [protected]). None of your services could or wanted to help. When I asked for ‘UM Services’ I was told that there is no such thing and information on passengers, UM or otherwise, was confidential and could not be disclosed. It was actually suggested that I phone again on Monday (like I was trying to trace a piece of luggage). Through a friend in Joh’burg I was finally able to verify that the person who called from immigration was in fact and official and not just another scammer.

I proceeded as demanded and deposited R 1, 000.00 cash into the account of an A. Mphame and faxed the receipt, as instructed, to [protected]. The child was now set free and according to the person at immigration (Ms. Molebatsi) released into the care of SAA. Of course, as it was now past 10:00 in the morning, my nephew’s onwards flight to Cape Town had been missed. So I once again phoned SAA ([protected]), mentioned the above booking reference and asked on which flight the child was re-booked and when he might be in Cape Town. Once again I was told that such information could not be disclosed. Only after speaking to a supervisor and explaining in great detail what had happened, was I told that he was now booked on the noon flight and due to arrive at 14:10h today.

At no time during all this back and forth was I contacted by SAA’s UM people who were supposed to look after him and, obviously, expected to keep me informed of any problems during his voyage.

Please do have the courtesy to let me know:

1. Why was it not possible for any one of your staff to phone me in Cape Town when you are responsible for the child’s wellbeing while in transit.

2. Why was it not possible for you to volunteer the information of the new flight for him when this was known to you.

3. Why did you issue a boarding pass to him in Hong Kong knowing full well that he will only be issued with a 30 days visa at arrival in SA while his ticket stipulated a stay of 45 days.

4. Will you refund me the fine of R 1, 000.00 paid to immigration today for the overstay last year (SA286 of 25 August 2010) when you let him depart Hong Kong for 45 days knowing that his visa will expire 30 days after arrival?

5. Will you refund the R 1, 000.00 fine that will accrue this time when he overstays his 30 days visa?

As mentioned in 2010 when we had our first UM run-in with one another, your services are inadequate to non-existing. It appears to be dangerous to entrust people in need to your care as such care does not seem to exist. Your so-called help lines are useless and staffed by people who have no understanding of what is expected of them.

I look forward to hearing from you ASAP. Please note that I shall make this experience public as a warning to all potential future flyers who need UM services.

Regards
    Axel Zoelzer

• Su
    Sue Mackay Aug 05, 2011

It is the 05-08-2011 and the flight is to East London (SA459) and the departure time is 6:15 am. The service and help from SAA is apauling and disgusting. SAA is suppossed to be a company with a high reputation of service, class and reliability . The bookings were intentionally booked with SAA for this reason. The flights were paid for weeks before hand. On arrival at O.R Tambo we were "3 minutes" too late for check-in. And not to metion the flight was fully booked!!! Before being informed that the flight was full, the check-in assistant has the ordasity to ask for a bribe in order to help us. The flight was still on the ground and people were boarding yet we could not get on. Is this how airport companies work? They take your money. Then the product (the seats of the flight) you purchased is not guaranteed. Not to mentiont still needing to pay a bribe to the SAA assistant. What noncince!!! Why book prior to a trip if you pay for a product which can not be allocated or given to you. Resultant to the issue, the only flights availabe are two business class seats. As young adults today, in a recession money is not easily accessible. So an extra R2100.00 each on a R800.00 flight paid weeks before is not easy to come by.

Johan Botha Mar 06, 2012

This morning we made a flight booking on the www.flysaa.com website. It clearly indicates that taxes are included in the price. When we wanted to make payment the amount changed and taxes were added. We contact SAA and were informed that it is a " small" mistake on their website still to be corrected. Taxes are still to be added. I think it is very bad service for such a big company not to have their facts in order on an international website and see it as nothing else but FALSE ADVERTISING

• Rv
    rvdcolf Mar 26, 2012

We had a flight booked from Frankfurt to Johannesburg on 18 Feb 2012. Flight LH7350 - operated by SA Airways [that was where the problem started!!]

On arrival at Frankfurt, whilst waiting in the book-in counter, we were notified that the flight was postponed till the next morning. Arriving the next morning at 06h00 to book in, notified AGAIN that the flight is not leaving. "Maybe tonight", was the accurate info supplied. We had to book a totally new flight with Air Namibia - reaching our home destination a full day late.

Numerous enquiries to SAA did not produce any answers. Contacting the travel agent - XL Travel in Johannesburg, was as futile.

This is not fair - so beware: Neither SAA or travel agents are there to provide a service. As soon as your ticket is paid, they forgot about you or the so-called excellent service. Find an airline that deliver service, even if it is a bit more expensive.

• Ke
    Kevin Hughes Apr 05, 2012

I checked in my luggage at the SAA counter which never got to Lagos (Nigeria) on the 16/02/2012.After daily visits to OR Tambo by my fiancé and daily visits to Lagos SAA in nigeria i had no luck. Spent 10 days in Nigeria with no medication, clothes, toiletries etc... Arrived back and sent in a claim form.Again daily communication as the allocated SAA staff member never bothered returning emails. To add insult to injury i today (5/04/2012) received R3508-00 from a R25 225-00 claim.

• Ju
    JulianJ May 23, 2012

On the 25/04/2012 i took the 18h40 flight from Durban to Johannesburg SA0578, on collection of my bag i found that my bag was soaking wet, my suits, clothes and documents where drenched. It must be noted that my suits which are cashmere are dry clean only have now shrunk and all articles of clothing have been stained brown.

In addition during boarding while waiting for takeoff, the airhostess dropped a sizeable laptop bag on my head from the overhead compartment.

I lodged a complaint on 26/04/2012 and have had no response (I emailed '[protected]@flysaa.com'; '[protected]@flysaa.com'; '[protected]@flysaa.com'; '[protected]@flysaa.com') and Natasha Asvat ([protected]@flysaa.com) Key Account Manager. To date there has been no response.

• De
    Dennis Stokell Jul 04, 2012

In the last 6 flights with SAA business class, I am totally disapointed in the menu selection and unavailability of stated menu items and have to do with what is available.
    When comparing the price that SAA charges for business class and especially over the Easter Weekend the price doubled from R24000 to R48000 and still I had to make do with what was avaiiable. Why even bother sending round menus prior to the meal,
    even your selection has no bearing on what you eat? I find this totally unproffessional and not worth the price paid!

• Ni
    nishagh Aug 27, 2012

This morning 27August 2012 my grandma had car troubles and was late for her check in, flight SA 534 from DBN to JHB 07.10, there after going to Mumbai .The check in attendant who was a black lady at the counter 9 was absolutely rude, while standing first in the que telling us to wait, while she checked in and printed boarding passes for a whole lot of black passengers, that was after my grand in the que, i did tell her that my grandmum was already late, she tells me to have patience yet she still checked in all other black passengers, i seriously think not only the black people make up the flights, but all races.i believe in the first come first serve basis and not only picking one group of people, just because they black.This is seriously unacceptable, i guess all other race groups flight fares make up her salary.Terribly disgusted. Nisha

Madeline Granger Sep 01, 2012

I had very sad experience of traveling on flight SA281 our hostess must have had a bad week because she never smiled once(the whole 12hr ) our food was just thrown at us my god then she had to clean up well that must of hurt her, Then coming back (SA 280 the toilets were just filthy with urine over the floor no water to wash your hands the seats are so uncomfortable, the food was just awful that i could not eat the meals dried up fruit the only saving grace was we arrived safely

• Ab
    A.Bates Jan 04, 2013

I Mr A.Bates was flying from Cape Town with SA302 to OR Tambo (JHB) from there to Ghana Accra SA52 on the 03 January 2013 on arrival in Accra.

My bags was locked but the zip were broken off and the following items were missing. A Western Province rugby shirt, Boss perfume and a black trousers. The bag I also cannot travel any more with due to the damage on the bags zip.

I went to the lost and found in Accra but they just complete a form and inform me to go to SAA Offices in RSA.

I hope that you will contact me.

Cell no +[protected]
    Ghana cell no [protected]

Thanks!!!

Comments
    Comments

• Rj
    RJ25 Jan 30, 2013

I recently flew SAA from Windhoek - JNB - LHR on the 24th December 2012. On leaving Windhoek, we noticed on the boards that a number of flights had been cancelled, and on asking the SAA crew member booking us in, he assured us that Air Namibia was the one cancelling, and not SAA, and that all their flights were going ahead with no delays.

Being Christmas Eve, the intention was to land in London at 06:25am, be collected by my Aunt, and travel to Oxford, arriving no later than 8:30am, to surprise the remainder of my family. As my entire family is in the UK, this was a very special moment as I had been unable to spend Christmas with them for the past five years.

Once landed in JNB, I saw that my flight, SA234, had been delayed by an hour, which was frustrating but OK at that point. We were due to take off from JNB at 20:40pm. We actually only took off around 2am the following morning. During the 5 hours of waiting, not a member of staff was polite or helpful. They told us a number of different stories, from a door falling off to a faulty light to a technical fault. My husband was on the phone with them from Windhoek, and was told that I wasn't even on the flight for some reason. This caused panic in me, and on trying to talk to the staff they just told me to sit down and not worry.

Also, a number of the people on the flight were transferred to other flights, however the remainder of us sat there in a stinking hot airport, and when one lady asked for them to at least supply us with water, she was told where a vending machine was. SAA had absolutely no consideration for the trauma they caused, as a number of us intended on surprising our families, or to the cost of airport food and drink for which we had to pay whilst they happily lied to us.

Eventually on boarding the plane at around 1am, the Captain chose to address us and advise of yet another delay. If I am not mistaken, it was Captain Black. Another passenger, as irritated as all of us, chose to speak up and said to the Captain, “Don’t stand here talking to us, please just fly the plane!” in his anger, frustration and heartache at not being able to spend Christmas morning with his family, the gentleman snapped. Our Captain promptly lost his temper at the gentleman, shouting back that he too was human and should be treated as such, and did not deserve to be shouted at and spoken to in such a manner.

The good Captain clearly was unaware that SAA had spent the past five hours treating us no better than animals as they told us to not leave the waiting area and refused to supply us with food or drink or an answer as to what the delay was.

Apparently at this point the delay was that we were waiting for food – which, when it arrived, was served to us twice, as dinner and breakfast. Not one member of staff chose to explain to us that we had no breakfast, it was a simple take it or leave it attitude.

Thanks to SAA, I only arrived with my family at 1:30pm that afternoon. My Christmas was ruined due to the total incapability of SAA to do their job and have a flight leave on time. That ticket cost an absolute fortune, and was wasted to me as I could not see my nephews open their presents on Christmas morning or sit around the tree with them.

On the return flight, I was even more disgusted. On booking in, I was charged an additional fifty POUNDS as I was 2kg’s overweight on my suitcase, AND I HAD NO HAND LUGGAGE. That’s right, my seven kg’s of hand luggage allocated to me was totally ignored and I was charged an extortionate amount simply because I did not have a scale at my sisters house with which to weigh my suitcase, but assumed it would be OK as I had no hand luggage.

The seats on the plane, SA 235 on the 16th of January, were unbearably hard and uncomfortable, and as I was seated at the back of the plane, I had to sit in the stench of a filthy toilet for the entire trip from LHR to JNB.

You have ensured that I will never travel SAA again, and according to the passengers in the same situation as myself on that flight, this happens more often than I had imagined and is in fact a regular occurrence. I would rather pay more money and fly for a longer period than to ever set foot on SAA again. Your service and attitude towards customers that pay your salaries are a total joke; you should be more careful as soon you may have none left.

Norman du Toit Apr 11, 2013

I was booked for a flight leaving OR in Jhbg - destined for Bulawayo.
    My luggage was alredady booked in and I was waiting for the gate to open to enable me to board the plane.
    When the time to depart has passed I made enquiries to find out was was going on, by which time i was told that the plane had already left. Apparently they informed passengers over the speaker system that they have changed the boarding gate, but I could not hear the announcement. I was not the only passenger in this predicament.
    My question - why did they not put someone at the original gate who could inform passengers that the gate number has changed. Obviously they dont have the necessary skills or brains to think logically and dont have a hoot about customer service. No wonder that the SAA is in financial mess.
    Bottom line, I now have to buy another ticket and spent another night in SA just because of poor service and planning. What is new in the New SA

• He
    HelpLori Apr 11, 2013

Good day

I am writing on this complaints board because I can not find an email address on the flysaa.com website where I can send my complaints nor can I find a "help" function.

I have tried many many times to book a trip using the "multy-city" functionality on flysaa website. But each time I get the same error message saying "An error occurred while processing your multi-city search".

I have no choice but to book my ticket through Delta airlines.

Regards
    Lori

• Pi
    Pissed off passenger Dec 16, 2013

For over a month all the passengers of the flight from JHB to GABON Libreville arent receiving there bags. OVER A MONTH. Do they instead of passenger bags load paid cargo because it gets more money in there pockets and give a flying duck about the pax occupying there seats? I work here...OVER A MONTH this ### has been going on. It can take up to 7 days plus to receive your luggage. In the mean time most bloody certainly not on holiday here the people sit without luggage to render there service here in gabon!! POOR. POOR. POOR SERVICE ONE IS PAYING FOR!

• A1
    A1X Feb 12, 2016

It's been two months and nothing has been found or compensated for, not even a claim of first need has been paid.

• Sm
    Smartiespta Jul 13, 2016

I travelled to Port Elizabeth on the 8 Feb 2011, using Flight SA405 and informed that my luggage was misplaced upon arrival and that it will be delivered to my B&B later. Later that day I received my luggage nicely delivered to my B&B, the lock broken off my suitcase and discovered that my running shoes are missing. I am very disappointed that this happened. SAA is not the cheapest service around, and I really deserve better service than this. Why should the customer always be feeling the pain. SAA ignores just ignores this, for them it is appalling business as usual.

• Pu
    PulaneJwayi Aug 04, 2016

I flew yesterday 30th March 2014 from Durban to Johannesburg Flight no. SA 570 Departure time was 16:50, I left my black jacket on the seat no 17B, when I realised that I left my jacket on the seat it was only ten minutes after my arrival and I went straight away to the Baggage Service Desk, a gentlemen and a lady who was trying to get hold of the crew were not helping at all, they called them then I waited as they have to check, then I was told they cant find anything how is that possible? I believe as much as they patrol in the flight to check if we are not seated with our handbags and other things, are they not checking if there's no stuff that passengers left when leaving the flight, and I was told it can be passengers who took it Bull ### it can not be a passenger who stole the jacket no ways as I was even sitting on the window side and my partner on the next seat, These cabin crew stuff they are really professionals I must say. you can never trust them honestly, I am sure they were trained for stealing as well. *pissedforyears* They even gave me a form to leave my details it they hear anything they will contact me on the 31st (next day ) when the cleaners cleans the flights and the chances are I may not get it imagine!

Malevore Aug 11, 2016

I logged onto the flysaa website to pay for a ticket that was booked. I entered my credit card details and when submitting, a message came back saying the system was having a technical error. I tried again thinking I must have done something wrong but the same message came. Left it and checked my account the following morning. Money had gone out - TWICE!!! Phoned the bank and SAA and Nedbank says money has definately been transferred to SAA. SAA say they dont have the money and will follow up and get back to me within the same day...Now.. Who is earning interest on my bucks? Firstly SAA must have a technical message BEFORE we actually log our details onto the site. Thats what transparent people do instead of now this back and forth passing.

• St
    Steven Gouws Aug 11, 2016

On the 16-12-2013 my partner and I were booked to fly from Cape Town to Livingstone, Zambia via Johannesburg - Flight Booking Reference: SA/ZRXIAB.

At check in they found her details but could not find mine and we were directed to the SAA ticket counter where I was informed my ticket details were incorrect. The problem was that my surname and middle name were switched when the ticket was booked and the person informed me I had to buy a new ticket. My passport number matched, and all the other details were correct so I would have thought there would be a minor amount to pay to correct this mistake, but boy was I wrong - they charged me R6000 for a new ticket! What really annoyed me about is that my original ticket cost only R3500, so why was I charged double?

This put a real dampener on my start to my holiday in South Africa. I brought my fiancé here on holiday and we got married a few days later.

This has really upset me and I feel totally abused by SAA and request a refund.

• Ri
    Righthere Aug 22, 2016

I had a flight from JHB to CPT on the 19th of Aug 09 (flight number SA375). On arrival in CPT, 1 of my bags was not on the conveyer belt.. 3 of our 4 bags checked in did arrive but the 4th one with all my clothes, toiletries and presentation material was missing. I did report the bag as missing and explained to the SAL employee that I have a urgent presentation that I need to do tomorrow morning for which I will need to be well presented (how do you do that without clean clothes etc). The response from the lady was that I can phone them at 05:00 in the am to find out if they found my bag and that I'm not allowed to purchase any goods without authorisation from her manager. I phoned the baggage enquiries centre at around 08:00 on the 20th to find out if they did find my bag on which they responded yes and assured me that the bag will be delivered to my hotel within an hour (as my presentation starts at 09:00). Needless to say - at around 12:00 the bag has still not arrived at the hotel. I had to do a presentation in dirty clothes and was not able to clean myself as all my toiletries was in the missing bag. Bag arrived at about 14:00 without any apology or nothing. Not even a sorry.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices