Sony Playstation 3 (Ps3) 60gb (Pal)Faulty Product/Horrible Customer Care

N

Hello,

I am Nitin Sagar, a 23 year old software engineer living in Delhi.

Last month just prior to Diwali, I purchased a 60GB PS3 (with warranty). I wanted to get an Xbox 360 but I didn't want to get into the hassles of having to keep sending my gaming console for frequent repairs. Unfortunately that made me buy a PS3 and boy was that a bad decision.

A month later my PS3 stopped reading any discs. This suddenly happened when I was happily playing Resistance : Fall of Man. It just hung and then wouldn't acknowledge any disc put in it. This happened on 23rd December 2007 (right during the holiday season!)

I took it to the Lajpat Nagar service centre and thats when things got even worse.

First, they refused to take my set in because I did not bring the accessories. I had called up the customer care number atleast thrice before bringing in the unit and they did not mention anything about getting all the accessories along. After a minor heated argument, all throughout which I was saying I would get the accessories when I come to pick my system or they can just replace the console, they finally took in my PS3. On my way out I was told that the 60GB is not in stock and would take 10 days for replacement since it would need to come from Singapore. (Log Information number : [protected])

Then, on the 27th of December 2007 I got a call from the Lajpat Nagar service centre saying my PS3 was fixed. I drove 20 kms to reach there, only to find out that it was in the same state as before. Not a single game being tested by the workers there worked. I was called for no reason. I deposited the accessories I had brought along and left dejected. I wanted to fill a feedback form for the same but I was refused to be given one.

On 30th December 2007, I got a call from Sony India asking me from where I had purchased the unit to which I replied with all the information I knew. I was told I would be getting a call back in 1/2 an hour. I never got a call.

On 2nd January I called up the customer care number and I was told I would get a call back from the engineering staff to update me of my PS3 status. I never got a call.

On 3rd January, I called up again and spoke to Azhar who told me the same thing. I didn't get a call that day either.

On 4th January I spoke with Richa who again, told me the same thing, also adding that my system was repaired and it would be delivered to the Lajpat Nagar service centre by afternoon. I was supposed to get a call by noon which I didn't.

On 4th January, I called up the service centre again and spoke to Shefali who said that my unit would need to be replaced and it would take some 10-13 days. This was the 13th day since I had submitted my unit. I logged a complaint regarding the horrible handling of customers by Sony India (complaint number 2638651)

It seems no one has any clue what is happening with the PS3 and what to do with it.

This is the worst treatment I have ever faced as a consumer. I will make sure I never buy a Sony product ever again in my life. I will also make sure that word of the excellent Sony India customer care department gets around on sites such as www.gamingindians.com, www.theangrypixel.com and www.gameguru.in. I think the people at the Xbox forums should also know that they are getting the better end of the deal. It seems the Microsoft India staff knows how to handle their customers. Sony should take a cue from that.

I did not even get a reply of this mail and have lost all hope of getting my PS3 back in the near future.

An extremely disheartened Sony India customer,

Nitin Sagar

Noelia Jan 13, 2008

Excuse me i would like to know where sent ur complaints because i want to do the same but i just can't find an e-mail to send.

• Il
    ilan retchpaul Jan 27, 2008

I recently purchased a 40gb ps3. I have purchassed every playstaion console that has come out since the original playstation and have been very satified with them excepts for the fact no matter how well you treat them they only work for around 2 years normally just till the warrenty has run out, and they bring out the slim line version, but because how amazing the system always is i never really have complaints because of the amount of enjoyment it brings in the time i have it.
    But now this is going too far, i purchased my ps3 on the 21 december 07 and didnt use till the 26th, i use it a few hours a day some times more but always give it a rest every couple of hours. i treat it very well keep it clean and dust free, but it has already died on me, it dose not register any games, i have to say though i rang sony and they were very helpful and have registered the fault and are sending me a new one on tuesday soit is a matter of a few days, so sony in england has dealt with it very well, if they stick too there word, so i have no complaints there, but it is very dissapointing that the console which cost £300 can last only 1 month, and the fact is i have only got 1 year garantee, so i advised anyone who reads this that if its not too late, extend your garentee to 3 years right now, before its too late

Sandra Szoke Jan 29, 2008

Wow! Sounds like PS3 is a piece of junk. The same thing happened to my kids. They received the system for Christmas, and in less than 1 month it didn't work. It did the same thing as you guys talked about, just wouldn't play games. I called Sony, after several attempts and holding for quite a long time, and was told to send back the system and they would send me a "factory certified" unit, in other words a refurbished used unit. I told them I wanted a new unit in return and the warranty extended. They said no, and asked if I wanted to continue with the exchange. Let's see a broken piece of junk or a fixed piece of junk. I hope the next one doesn't break - or my warranty will be used up in just returns. Why can't Sony take better care of the customers?! Customer service did NOT care that I was upset or did not even try to make me happy. What a shame.

• Ad
    Adam Simonow Feb 27, 2008

I agree entirely.

Sony Computer Entertainment does not even know what "Customer Service" means.

After owning my 60gb PAL PS3 for about 4 months, it began randomly freezing, increasingly more often, until it got to the point that it was not even worth turning on any more to play a movie, game, anything - as it would inevitably freeze midway through a level or action scene.

I returned the unit to Harvey Norman Osborne Park, Western Australia, my place of purchase, and the staff there have been very helpful in trying to get me a new/repaired system as soon as possible. It has been over 3 weeks now, and having spoken with the people at Harvey Norman several times, and they in turn having spoken with Sony, it seems that Sony cannot tell me when I will be getting my console back.

I was initially told it would take approximately 1 week. After 10 days and no reply, Sony informed us that it would take another 10 days. And my favourite excuse yet, 2 days ago a Sony rep. told us that they send back repaired units on Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's, but they could not confirm whether my console would be sent on one of those days this week, nor could they pass us through to anybody at Sony with the authority to tell us.

Having read through several forums regarding the issue of freezing PS3 consoles since submitting mine for repairs/replacement, it seems I am far from alone with this ridiculous malfunction in a system which cost me $AUD 1000.

It seems to me Sony are merely waiting for the next firmware update to be released which they are probably hoping will fix the freezing problem, because from my experience to date, it seems that have absolutely no idea what is going on with my console, or with their service centres for that matter.

Pissed off Aussie.

• Sh
    SHAN Feb 29, 2008

PLEASE ANYONE INTERESTED IN RESOVLING THIS MATTER CONTACT ME AT [protected]@YAHOO.COM. I'VE TALKED TO A LAWYER AND WE'RE TRYING TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN AND GET AS MANY PEOPLE THEIR SYSTEMS AND MONEY BACK IN THE PROCESS. MONEY ISN'T THE ISSUE, ITS THE FACT THAT SONY IS A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY AND WON'T REPLACE THEIR CRAPPY ### SYSTEMS!

• La
    lausen Mar 17, 2008

Brand new Mobile phone Plasma tv , Laptop game at cheap price come with complete accessories with one year international warranty.

Email address ; [protected]@hotmail.com

* 16GB flash drive
    Display
    * 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display
    * 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 160 dpi
    * Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
    Operating system
    * OS X
    GSM
    * Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    Wireless data
    * Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    * EDGE
    * Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Camera* 2.0 megapixels

WE MAKE SHIPMENT VIA UPS AND FEDEX SHIPPING COMPANY 2DAYS DELIVER , IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BUYING CONTACT US.

Email address ; [protected]@hotmail.com

joe Apr 12, 2008

i hate sony so much they have sent me 3 new broken 60gb all this month's waiting i am never ever gonna buy a sony product in my life or advise any one to i might consider buying an xbox 360 (i wanna go down to sonys factory and throw this ps3 through the window)

• Pa
    pato Jul 08, 2008

as all the others i purchased a ps3 on the 3/1/08 australia after only a few short months it stopped reading any disc i sent it to be repaired on the 24/5/08 but sony apperently didnt receive it until the 4/6/08 i was told it would take twenty business days to be fixed well its now 9/7/08 so i rang again today only to be told they dont know anything until it has been 25 business days witch it has been anyway so like everyone else im very dissappointed with the service sony provides or lack of the stupid thing is i had an xbox360 but got rid of it after breaking down twice in a year thinking ps3 would be better well how wrong i was I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER SONY PRODUCT OF ANY DESCRIPTION

• Ew
    Ewan Murray Jul 14, 2008

i think that mr ps3s customer service talking is absoulutly wrong iv worked with sony ps3s in my own living room and if you think that xbox/xbox 360 is better you have been totally corrected that is seriously wrong the micrsoft mabey the better deal and been out longer so mate i dont know what type of drugs you have been smoking but the xbox 360 is an extremely cheap version of the ps3 and like you said m8 you must buy every single peice of ### for it just to play a game with graphics of a ps2 also i would like to add that anyone who is reading this do not i repeat do not buy and xbox 360 you will get nothing back from them if it breaks because bill gates is one tight ###er and that xbox360 came out first well...mabey but they brought it out with exactly 37 bugs and 2 of tem include trojan horses that will either brick your xbox360 or ### it up forever never to be turned on again please people dont fall for the cheap confusion offers of an xbox360 if you saw an add in the paper or in the shops ... think be a FOOL!! or a GENIUS!!! like me.oh and when you get a ps3 (if your the GENIUS!!!)add and contact kingsurface for more info on ps3.
    Thanks .:Sony Expert:.

• Na
    Natalie Jul 24, 2008

I agree. We have had big problems aswell. We owned our less than a month when it stopped playing games. Sony had it for the next 3-4 months fixing it. And when i would call to see when we would be gettingit back i was hung up on. Ours doesnt play blu-ray so i will be calling them again this week.
    They have discusting customer service and dont seem to care about their customers. Perhaps they should remember that without us their customers their would be no sony.

• Ka
    kaiser sossae Jul 24, 2008

I love video games. Needless to say I own all three systems, Nintendo Wii, ps3, and the 360. And i honestly beleive sony tried to keep their customers minds off of the fact that the p s 3... Is a piece of ###. So what they did was put a cheap grade blu ray player, an outdated computer, and a couple of card readers. My ps3 three as well doesn't read disc. My xbox caught the "red ring of death" but at least microsoft fixed it for me free of charge, hassle free, and gave me a new warranty:) ps3 needs to stop living in the 90's. Who the hell in their right minds releases a system in the millenium with non rumbling controllers??? And ps3 still cant listen to music and play game simultaneously, wasnt xbox doing that ### in the 90's??? Point is: ps3 is gay. Because ps1 and ps2 were both boys systems and they must have ###ed eachother and spawned the ### ### system...PS3. Signed: -real life gangster gamer-

• Na
    Nakul Aug 05, 2008

Well after reading the review I suggested my friend not to but PS3 as he already owns a Xbox 360 which never gave such problem, but the thing is you dont get better games as compared to PS2. So just want to know if PS3 80 GB will cause any problem as my fried wants to play PS2 & PS3 games on it... Could you please advice.

Regards
    Nakul Chavan

• Al
    Alvin Ahyew Aug 20, 2008

I agree, with all previous complaints about the ps3, I live in Trinindad (West Indies) and there is not one sony Console they ever bring out that i never own. I bought my ps3 on April 08th 2008 i played it for a few hours a couple days a week and in a month and a half it stop reading any disc, i purchased it from a store in Gulf City Mall at First Priority Music Company Limited in Trinidad West Indies. They said i had a one (1) month warrany from the store and it was up so they have to send it back to sony and sony would advise them to exchange or if it could be repaired. Every time upon calling the store they said the ps3 was fedEx to sony and they did not got a reply. I am totally fedup of calling and noting definite is being said to me so i asked to speak to the owner but she was out of the country for a couple of weeks, i left several messages for her to call me but she never did. I finally got on to her and she is telling me that she had to get someone to take it up to sony and whenever they go to the U.S. they will pick it up from SONY and bring back to Trinidad. SONY needs to have more value for there customers because i feel like everyone else fedup, disgusted and i don't think i would purchase another SONY Product. I need sony to respond to me because i need a feedback on my ps3.

James Wentworth Aug 28, 2008

Well I live in the states, Florida, and have just recently had problems after purchasing a PS3 6 months ago my console underwent problems with the driver, the screen went black after a game of COD4 and the game sound just stopped working, also after I would have to restart it, the console wouldn't read the CD and would come up with some kind of error. Sent my PS3 to sony came back worse! Would make a funny noise once I tried to insert the disc and wouldn't let it go in. The lights on the controller kept flasinging and my screen would just stay the same asking me yes or no about the HDMI input which I couldn't say yes to because the controller, so now I am sending it in for a second time. It pisses me off that customer service said they wouldn't give me a new one they will just keep sending me someones old one!!

chichu Sep 15, 2008

My name is Navaneesh is from India - Tellicherry- Kerala -
    My father bought for me Plystation 3 from Jumbo Electronics - Abudhabi (Vergin Mega Store). purchased
    on 26-08-2008
    While playing there was a power failure and the system is now unable to operate.
    the system shows The PS3 hard disk's file system is corrupted and says to Press OK

- but when I Ipress 'ok'; it keeps repeating the same message. "Hard Disc FIle is corrupted".

WIll you please advise what we shall do in this regard, Is there any Service Station for this system in

Kannur or Calicut District.

Your advise is highly appreciated.

Thanking you and with kind regards,

• Ji
    jimmy gettings Sep 25, 2008

I agree with everyone .we just purchased a ps3 and it melted on us.It can read mp3 and, but it doesnt read anything because the eye is done.Id be really mad if they cam out with the ps4=(.if anyone has ps3 # notify right away

• Go
    gordon anthony marland Sep 27, 2008

i have had my ps3 for just over a year at first the screen went off and back on now and then and now the garentee is up it will not even read any disc. As i used it only once a week for a couple of hours i think its discusting with the amount of money i payed for it

• Ro
    Ron Rivera Oct 13, 2008

I just purchased my second Playstation 3 this past weekend. I owned a 40 GB one that i purchased in dec. of 07 and had it up until July of this year. I never had any problems with it and i would play it for an hour or two every day. I had to sell it because i had to pay some bills.

I originally purchased the system with the 2 year warranty from Best Buy, so i was prepared. Now, since they dont make the 40 GB anymore i purchased the 80 GB. I havent bought the 2 year warranty yet, but i will for sure. Um, the day i got it, i hooked it up and updated it online. i put each of my games in there to see if they worked and fine and they did. I also downloaded 2 demos from the PS store and have been playing those.

All, i can say is that i havent had any problems with my systems, but reading all this kinda scares me a bit, because we, consumers, spent a lot of money on these systems and we expect good quality products for the price.

Just tell me, isn't possible to sue Sony for all this and get our money back or just get new systems or have sony replace the faulty parts in these systems.

Sounds like Sony is raping everyone in the ### with these problems. Hopefully i dont have to go through that, cause im getting my two year warranty.

• Oz
    Ozzy Oct 23, 2008

I really do sympathize with people having this problem. I have the disc read error too. My PS3 no longer reads discs after 14 months. It is ###ing disgusting for Sony to make such sub-standard crap and charge us an arm and a leg for it. The problem is that everything seems to be made in China these days and their ### seems to fail just after a year. I have had such issues with all my Sony products over the past few years, DVD players, PS2's, audio equipment, and digital cameras have failed just after warranty expiration. Sony are a bunch of ###ing wankers! I will never buy their crappy ### anymore!

I am a pure hater of Sony now, in fact I feel homicidal over their ###. ###ing ### are peddling crap under a perceived reputable brand name. I hope they go bankrupt with this global financial turmoil.

marc-canada Oct 31, 2008

wow i dont own a playstation 3 yet but planning to buy one ... specialy since the game prince of persia is coming soon ... but all this is scary ... i never owned anything but nintendo and sega stuff, so never had a playstation ... but im realy undecided what to do ... go for xbox or ps3 ... hmmmmm ... sony seems realy bad at the way they treat people and stuff ... ill consider my options here ...

• Ni
    Nivek Nov 01, 2008

Have to say having owned the 60gb Uk PAL version since launch it's just given up today - A quick search of the forums (many people with black screening post ver 2.50 upgrade) I decided to call the Uk helpline and expected the "it's out of warranty and can't help you" but suprisingly it will be swapped out in a few days (like for like) - Timing was just 1day after the ver:2.50 was installed - I was very suspicious at first but hey, 3months warranty on a tested refurb is better than my current brick.
    So are Sony hiding something or trying to improve their customer service???

• Ni
    Nivek Nov 02, 2008

Quick update on my situation "black screen" for playback - Did a restore O/S [quick format] and the DVD playback feature that was previously dead is alive again, so not hardware as they'd previously thought - so swapout cancelled. Do backup any music or save game files before doing it as you do loose everything!

• Di
    Dionni Hayward Nov 03, 2008

I agree with everything sony is like Bush ###ing us all. I am on my second PS3 it is now doing the same thing as last ear not reading the disc. It is time for sony to pay for this ### that cost me 800 plus dollars. IT TIME FOR A CHANGE

Sarah Lizzotte Nov 08, 2008

I purchased my Sony Playstation 3 seven months ago and I love it ever since. About a week ago, there was a (forced) firmware update on my PS3 and since then, it hasn't read anything. I called Sony for help and the first thing they asked me was if I had proof of purchase. I didn't and she immediately told me that it would cost $149 to get it fixed. She said there was no troubleshooting and without the proof of purchase they 'assume' it was out of warranty. I asked about simply reversing the firmware update and they said it was against Sony policy. They didn't even care that I was upset and she didn't even bother to try to offer me any alternatives. I spoke to the manager above her and got nowhere. I spoke to the manager above him and still got nowhere. I asked the man if they have serial numbers in their system they could look up and tell if it's within the one year warranty and his first words were, "not really." I asked and he says it wasn't Sony's responsibility to keep proof of warranty. I am supposed to receive a callback within 3 to 5 business days, yet I doubt they will call.

I'm just so frustrated because I invested over $600 for the 80GB PS2 with extra controllers, remotes, games, headsets, etc. Now they want to charge me $150 extra bucks because I don't have a tiny piece of paper saying the date of purchase.

• Li
    Light Nov 21, 2008

i totally agree with this i bought my ps3 in asia and it worked pretty goo for about 5 months. the games are great, graphics and sound but then while playin dynasty warriors 6, it froze and screwed me up!!! i was soo angry. I took it to sony nz to get it replaced or atleast fixed but they rejected me because it was made in asia. i tried to send it to asia sony but they didnt do anything about it either. man if it wasnt for this fault the ps3 would be a great system

• Ab
    Abie Feb 06, 2009

I totally agree with this. I faced the same issue except that in my case they were handing out refurbished system which is not what i am entitled to.

• Bi
    billy smith Feb 08, 2009

I think that the memory should be worked on as i was on call of duty world at war and unlocked zombie mode and came back the next day and by golly it was gone.
    currently online i was shooting some noobs when someones connection went wrong soplease try make it with better connection.

• Bi
    billy smith Feb 08, 2009

here we are today in the 21st century and there are still pretty pathetic consoles about, ps3's being the worst.
    for once i would like you to make something better i had no problem with ps2 but ps3 was too ott as you tride putting too much good things in it but were not aware that it would make it go wrong sometimes.
    so please go slower in the future.

• john7777 Feb 08, 2009

The Red ring of death is really only on the old consoles. Ya it still happens but not as much. and it has more exclusive like extra episodes for GTA4 and you can only get the download content for Fallout 3 for Windows and Xbox 360. Ya most people made the mistake of buying the PS3 because they where drawn in by the Word Blu-Ray. Not taking in that there are no games for the PS3.

• Kr
    Krout Feb 21, 2009

I am so pissed off at Son right now. I have been on the phone with the Sony customer service dept. for over 45 minutes. I keep getting the runaround. They put me on hold and never came back. I am very disappointed with the way I have been treated. I have been a loyal Sony customer for many years. TVs, digital cameras, video cameras and of course the playstation console. I have owned every model and have taken the PS2 all over the world for years with no issues ever. None! I held out for the new PS3 instead of the XBOX. I was very excited to finally get it. Unfortunately, soon after that it stopped working. The system wouldn't acknowledge the software. I sent it in and it was repaired. Well it worked fine for a while but now its doing the same thing. I feel like I have a defective product. I have only used the system a few times. I only own three games. It has minimal hours on it. Now I am told that I wil have to pay another 150+ dollars to get it fixed. I feel like I am being held hostage. Now I own a worthless 500.00 piece of plastic, unless I pay 150.00. I don't have the money so I guess I don't have a system and they no longer have a loyal customer. So much for the The Sony Pledge of Quality. What a joke.

joeyboi9 Apr 14, 2009

thats soo wierd you had same problem as me exactually on rfom too...but the good part was i had a new ps3 at my door the next day :D:D:D sony are grate!

• Cc
    cc11193 Apr 16, 2009

Sony PS3 is a real waste of mony 399 right off the bat then the added cost of repair bla bla bla. My unit was made in july 2008 wont read discs! You ask my opinion dont buy the crappy thing buy a nintendo!

• Di
    DINU Apr 30, 2009

WHY SONY IS NOT TAKING ANY ACTION???????
    SONY MUST SATISFY THE CUSTOMERS OR ELSE WE WILL SURELY SPREAD THE NAME SONY IS EQUAL TO TROUBLE AND STAY AWAY..

Jack May 16, 2009

I bought my ps3 in august of 2007. Worked like a dream until january of 09. Got the dreaded "code of death". I was really upset but reluctatly accepted to pay the $150 service to get it replaced. I had my system back in about a week and a half. It worked for three months and one week. (The warranty they gave me after repairs was 90 days, i was a week over) Same error as everyone else, won't read disks, blah blah blah, this is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time I didn't even bother talking to a sony agent i just filed my service request online. This time i'm going to call and hopefully be treated well, but i'm not optimistic afeter reading all of these stories. SOne needs to get their heads out of their a**** and start treating customers with some respect. If they don't, I see class action suits in their future. . . .

• Je
    Jeff May 17, 2009

I just sent the following complaint. I doubt it goes anywhere even if I do complain to the attorney general. They are a terrible company. Anyways here it is:

The purpose of this email is to provide for a hard copy of my complaint as stated in an earlier phone call. Earlier today, I spoke to a gentleman by the name of Justin and informed him that my Playstation 3 will no longer play playstation 3 games and about 40% of my DVDs.

Based on the way I described the problem, Justin informed me that I would have to send the playstation 3 in so that technical support could look at it as it is not possible to diagnose the problem over the phone. Because it is past the 1 year warranty period, I would have to pay.

Incredibly, without being able to diagnose the problem over the phone, Justin informed that this is going to cost $150. I asked Justin if it was a common problem to which he replied that only 3% of the units come into service. I asked him if that number represented the amount of complaints and he repeated himself that 3% of the units get serviced. The implication of Justin not answering my question I asked is telling.

Justin then referred me to a supervisor as per my request. The supervisor informed me that if I were to send the machine in for repairs that it would be warranted for 3 months. I asked if those terms can be altered to which she replied, “No.” She then informed me that the reason for the three month limitation is because most problems that occur after being sent in for service occur within that 3 month window. I advised her that the purpose of the warranty is to protect the consumer and that it’s not to protect the manufacturer and shift the burden on the consumer in the event that there is a problem that occurs after that 3 month time has expired. I then asked if she has other recommendations for repairs to which she replied that because it is a proprietary technology it would be better for me to send it to your technical support.

If this hardware failure is not a common problem, how is it possible that your technical support can ascertain that it is going to cost $150 to fix my playstation 3 without having had any opportunity to perform any kind of diagnostic test? I consider it unacceptable to send my machine in for repairs without more than a 3 month warranty given your company’s shoddy track record on similar prior hardware failures. It is an unethical business practice to require the consumer to pay $150 without any regard to the actual cost of labor and cost of the part(s) replaced.

The terms of your express warranties are not bullet proof, in particular, the disclaimer of the implied warranty of merchantability. What exactly is Sony’s official company policy regarding the sale of defective merchandise and settling class action suits pertaining to them? Or were the nearly identical problems with regards to the PS2 uncommon as well and that is why Sony decided to settle the lawsuit? If this is was a defective PS 2 I was calling about, how would your technical support personnel advise me?

My next e-mail will be in the form of a consumer complaint to the Attorney General of Florida if this matter is not resolved appropriately and in good faith.

• Mi
    Michael Jun 04, 2009

After being a longtime Sony consumer and always having complete satisfaction with Sony products, I have to say I am deeply disappointed in the PS3 console. My concerns came the moment my PS3 would no longer read game disc's then eventually would not even read a DVD.

When I contacted Sony about this issue they informed me I would have to send it into them and pay an upfront fee of $315 regardless of what was wrong with it. I then found out that Sony has a system set up with Australia Post to send the console to them, (this is included in the cost of repair). My alarm bells began to ring when I heard this and asked how prevalent where these breakdowns with the console that Sony would have a setup such as this to repair consoles and a flat fee regardless of what needed to be repaired. I was told it was not a common problem at all. I then asked would I receive a report on what was replaced, fixed or done to my console upon its return. To which I was told no. I felt this to be completely unsatisfactory and questioned why I had to pay an upfront fee before Sony would do anything to my console and that how would I know if Sony had fixed it or done anything to it at all. I was told it would be covered by a three month warranty. I then said I didn't care about a warranty and was concerned I would be paying $315 to have dust cleaned from the laser.

I believe that Sony is completely aware that there is a serious issue with the PS3, this is evident as they have such a setup to repair their console. I think it is disgusting that after paying your money upfront to have it repaired that it is sent back to you without a service report or explanation as to what was wrong with it.

I loved Sony products and the Sony game console, ( I have had every console Sony has made since they came on the market), but after the terrible way I have been dealt with by Sony Australia I will never buy a Sony product again. I have already told several friends of mine who were going to buy the PS3 not to. That it was not a product worth buying as it will cost you half the price of a brand new concole to have it fixed when it breaks down. I will also not be buying any more PS3 games when or if my console is finally returned to me.

The only way to make a company like this think long and hard about the way they treat their loyal customers and new ones is to hit them on their profit margin. Change can be made just like voting in a new leader for your country. Hit them where it hurts in the hip pocket, when they can't sell their products anymore they have two choice's, make the product better and reliable or go out of business.

My advice to anyone reading this is not to buy a PS3 console. The reasons for this are 1) It is over priced and unreliable 2) It will cost you around half the price of a new console to have it fixed 3) Sony has forgotten all about customer service and are obviously completely aware of the PS3 problems but still have no problem in putting it on the market for consumers.

Contact me at [protected]@hotmail.com if there is a better and cheaper way to fix the PS3 or have anything to say about this posting.

• St
    steve avery Jun 06, 2009

I agree, and I think we need to do something about the customer care we are recieving from Sony. I like all of you am having the same issues with the game, and the service. I have invested over 10000 us dollars on sony products. I can usually fix them myself but the complex system that PS3 is I can not do it. I have 7 children and everyone of them own their own ps22, psp, and I have the ps3. I have never been treated like this by any customer ran company before. If it wasn't for all of us, they would be without a job. I am willing to do anything to take this company for all it has. I think that they should not be allowed to sell anymore of these faulty ps consoles. I have not even played my PS3 30 times, I am 34 years old, and don't have a lot of time to do this. I have had it since 07 paying 599 for this system, and only got 30 play times out of it. I am being effected by the economic issues and can not afford to keep investing in them, and am unwilling to do so after my conversation with what they call customer care, but if that is customer care then I would hate to see what they call customer service. Thank you all for your time in listening to my issues, and I hope that somehow all of us pissed off customers can come together and take this company down. People need to stop investing in Sony and invest in a good lawyer that can get all of our money back plus some to get a different brand of game console. Steve

• Ri
    riceroni Jun 24, 2009

Sony is ###ing despicable!! I pre-ordered a launch system wich actually worked for two years before breaking down. Back in February of this year I had sent it in and received a new one, now just two weeks out of their ### 90 day limited warranty it froze up in the middle of GTA IV and haven't read any disc since. Now they tell me I have to pay another $150 to send this one back!! Am I going to have to pay $150 every 3 months just to have this ###ing thing? I be damned!! ### Sony!!! Microsoft just got a new customer!

chillywilly64 Jun 29, 2009

PS3 is a throw away piece of CRAP!! Don't waste your hard earned money on this JUNK!!

• Jk
    J.Keys Jul 31, 2009

i purchased a ps3 for my son on the day the came out, 23rd march 07. now it has broken and we have been told that is pretty much it. my son has had every console from sony since the playstation, including the psp, for a cost of £425 just for the console i am disgusted of the life of this machine. my son watied for 2 years for the ps3 not having any other big birthday or christmas present in that time, because the lauch was delayed. i would like to send the console back with a letter of complaint but am having a lot of difficulty finding an address in England to return it to.

my son (14 years old) is now trying to find a job dog walking or lawn cutting to save up for another one, as even though they have come down in price i cannot just go and replace it.

Do sony know what customer service is about? i dont think so.