Sonic CamerasScam and thieve!

These people are total scams!! I bought a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens on April 2, 2008 for $1, 199 with my American Express card and they sent an email confirmation of a four digit number but no confirmation of the amount of money I just spent. The next morning I get a call from a man named Michael at Phone # [protected] ext 222 saying they needed to confirm my order from the night before, which I thought was really weird. Michael proceeds to tell me that they no longer accept American Express and if there was another way for me to pay. I told him that I only use my AMX card for charges and I don't use anything else. So he tried to talk me into doing a C.O.D or pull cash off my credit card. I told him, I will not do that and to forget about my order and cancel it. He said he would cancel it.

I still felt a little leery, so when I got home from work I called AMX and told them my situation and asked them to check if there were any charges from this company on my card. They said there were no charges. I still was not satisfied so I did some digging myself and googled Sonic Cameras and found a whole lot of bad trash of other consumers being scammed. All bad reviews. These people are sick! I did cancel my card with AMX and got fraud protection and they are reissuing me a new card. BEWARE THIS FAKE COMPANY IS A FRAUD!!! DON'T FALL FOR THERE CHEAPER PRICES LIKE I DID!!! DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THESE A-HOLES! I also believe they may be doing business by another name called BEST PRICE CAMERA'S the website sites look exactly the same and the prices are exactly the same... WATCH OUT FOR YOUR POCKETS!

• Su
    SupriyaM Oct 22, 2018

I have puchased Sonic caller Id phone in May in big sale of Amazon.in
    Now phone stops rining...what should I do...
    We are unable to contact at home..beacuase it doesn't rin, shows light only.
    Hoping that u will help me to resolve my problem. It is in warranty period.
    Kindly do the needful on urgent basis.

Regards,
    Supriya Mali
    [protected]

John Jun 10, 2016

I placed an order for a Nikon SB800 when I called to check the status they said there was a 4-6 week back order. I called again after 4 weeks and I was then told there was an 8 week back order. I do not think they can deliver the item.

• Ca
    c.a.j. Jun 10, 2016

be very very careful with this company. i just cancelled a online order -- they aske me to call them to "confirm" the order, but in reality it was to cheapen down the order, for example, claiming that the nikon d300 body was made of plastic, so i had better take the higher priced option for the magnesium body. and on it went, when i realized i was being scammed.

duh, i should have realized the price was too out of line of everybody else's.

• Bo
    BOB Jun 10, 2016

I placed an order for a Sony SR-11 The price was good, when I called to check the status they said the order was Shipped and I never received the product.It took me 8 months to get my money back, they didnt provided any tracking information of my order, how can one ship a product worth 600$ in First class mail (Highly Suspicious). The kind of frustation I went through is not less than HELL.

Better Purchase from Trusted delear and pay 50 $ Extra ... Believe me never buy online sites you dont know.

• Ba
    bad place Jun 10, 2016

I called them to make sure that everything is cool with the site's prices before i bought the Sony HDR SR-11 camcorder. First the agent asks which package i wanted and then he hangs up. I called again and the guy rudely yells at me and says that we dont have the product even though the site said they did and then he hung up. Their site says they have #1 customer service, i was so shocked. The next time i called they said if i dont want a different camcorder then i could go F*ck myself. I was breath taken and could not believe that they are still in business

• Th
    Theodor Jun 10, 2016

Fully agree
    They advertise a Canon 40D camera and when you want only the body and do not buy accessories, then suddenly the camera is chinises made and lesser quality than Canon. Wonder if Canon knows that.

• Th
    Theodor Jun 10, 2016

sorry, , , chinese made

and they do not list it seemingly on their web site that it is chinese made and less than Canon quality

Quote: it is not as good as Canon: unquote

one wonders hoe is that possible, , , less than Canon quality with Canon name on it !!!

• Sh
    sharon Jun 10, 2016

I am currently doing battle with this scam company. The same thing happened to me as the other folks. I plan on filing a complaint with the NY Attorney General's office about this company and their illegal actions. I have also put my credit card charge into dispute and will have a screaming match in the next few hours with customer service. At http://www.resellerratings.com/ you will find 75 other people with much the same complaints against this online store. STAY AWAY FROM THIS STORE. This is a scam operation!!!

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WWW.SONICCAMERAS.COM (NOTE THE PLURAL OF CAMERA AT THE END TO GET THE CORRECT ADDRESS).

• Ga
    Galina Jun 10, 2016

My experience with Sonic Camera's is the same as everybody elses. I just wanted the Canon 40D. I originally purchased it from ShopDigitalDirect(another scam company) and once the order was placed, I could not get through to them so I sent them an email and cancelled my order. I then went to Sonic Camera for the same item and found it for 319 plus 219 for the 28-135 IS USM Canon lens. When I called in to "verify" my order, it took 4 people and 20 minutes before someone could help me, then, I asked if they had the camera and lens in. They said yes. When I told them that I was not interested in purchasing the battery and charger b/c it was way overpriced, they all of a sudden did not have the camera in stock and said that it would be 4-6 weeks before it came in. Their USA warranty - it was with Sonic for parts only. Shoot, what's the difference b/w that and toilet paper, got me right now after reading all the other posts by others. I will be checking my cc to see if additional things have been added from others and dispute them. the next day i received an email from them stating that they are going to be putting me on a wait list until the camera comes in stock. No thank you. I cancelled my order when they said that the camera had no battery, no charger, no software or firmware. Sounds shabby to me. Stay away from. They would have been glad to sell me the "upgraded" kit for 1099.99. I turned them down! Stay away as the others have found out too!

• Cj
    CJM1 Jun 10, 2016

Last fall I ordered a camera from Sonic Cameras of which when I placed the order on line, they called me to verify the order. I had only ordered the camera body and a lens. When they got me on the phone and ended up getting me to change lenses and to order a battery and the charger. Later I found out that it was at a much higher price than what I could have purchased at Best Buy. The customer service rep that I talked to was very pushy I tried to call them back after I found out that information but no one ever answered the phone and it went to an answering machine that obviously was never updated. The camera and lens did come and it seems to work fine. It was not the Canon warranty which was not disclosed anywhere on the website nor was it mentioned when they tried to pressure me into purchasing the extended warranty. I have been extremely careful with the camera as I did not know if was gray market or what.

• Ba
    bajaskier Jun 10, 2016

See all the other complaints. Threaten them with small claims court; if they don't flinch, follow through with it.

Tom

• Su
    suz Jun 10, 2016

DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE PEOPLE!!! I should have known...
    Of course they are very inviting due to their low prices. If you order online, you then have to CALL them to confirm your order, at which point they try to make you feel like an idiot and push you into order a million things that "aren't included". Batteries, chargers etc. They tried to tell me that the camera I was purchasing did not use the same batteries as another one of my Canon's and also needed a different type of charger!

So, I placed the order, reluctantly, and moved on. Well, after about an hour of thinking I decided to call them back to change the order, upgrade to a different body and get rid of all of the extras they had pushed on me. At that time, according to them, the order had already been send to be shipped ( I had requested and paid for overnight) so I was UNABLE to change my order. I would have to wait until I received the package, call back and return it.. at which point I am now having to pay $200 in restocking!!! what the heck?

Not only did it not get here the next day, when I called to take care of this, the supposed manager kept pushing me off asking me, "well, if this wasn't the camera you wanted, why did you order it?" I said, well, I'm pretty sure people change their mind! Jeez. So after quite a heated conversation he pushed me off saying he had A LOT of other people waiting on the line and let's just hurry up and move on with our lives!! Oh My God.. I have never had someone treat me like this who is supposed to be doing customer service.

So PLEASE DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!

• Sm
    Smith Jun 10, 2016

My wife said i could get a new camera for my 40th birthday so i stated searching around for a cannon mark2 5d. I came across sonic cameras and saw what I thouhgt was a great deal.When i called the salesman told me the camera was on sale for 1699 but the sale was going to be over soon. I begged my wife and she gave in unfortunatley. When I called back he told me i needed a memory card, charger, and battery. when I asked him for a cannon 24-105 lens he talked me into a sigma 28-300 which he said was 1299. About a mounth later the lens lock stoped working so I tried contacting soni, and there phones are down, and there seems to be no email that works.So I tried contacting sigma, which by the way no one answeres there either so i happened to search around there sight to look at the same lens that sonic said was 1299.00 and found that retail was 400.00$$.I beleive they cornholed me on the lens charger and everything else they said I needed.They are scammers and will suck you in on what you think is a good deal, and then cornhole you hard with no lube on the back side. Growing up in miami I should know all the scams, but I wasso excited to get such a bad ### camera for my 40th birthday I wasnt doing all my other homework on the other items he was ripping me off on.

• St
    Stan Brew Dec 27, 2009

BEWARE!!!

Avoid Rip Offs and Scams. Look for a Customer Satisfaction Index on a website before you shop.

Find out more at www.iNetRating.com

• Na
    Nancyd Apr 27, 2009

This jerks did the same thing to me. I Ordered a CanonEF70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. The guy told me it would not work with my EOS 20D. He got excessively rude and pushy. Then saying "You can order whatever you want but it WON'T work with your camera. I am so worried about giving these guys my credit card number! I will have to change it ASAP!
    HORRIBLE PEOPLE!
    Nancy

jonniev Apr 25, 2009

Thank you very much for telling me about this site. I was seriously considering buying a SONY DSR-PD170 camcorder from this site for $1, 539 with a plethera of add ons in the package. I knew it was too good to be true. This camera retails at B&H photo for 2, 799.95. I'm surprised that I linked to this site through VideoMaker magazine site. Thank you!!! I will continue my search.

jonniev

• Cr
    Creede Mike Apr 02, 2009

Thanks very much to all of you who have written the complaints! I looked at their web site when I did see a really good price on a HD Video Camera, it was so low that I was very cautious. I tried to contact the BBB and the Chamber of Commerce and there was no listing for Sonic Cameras at all.
    It certainly pays to listen to that little voice in your noggin.

john Mar 21, 2009

Thank you so much i was about to do bussiness with them but i wasn't too comfortable with the prices so I thought i would be a good idea to check them out and it was true these prices could never be true/

• Ca
    carolinamom Mar 09, 2009

They are still doing business this way...and not sure why they have not been stopped yet. They "have" the lowest price on a Nikon 18-200 lens so I placed an order. Two days later they called & advised that the AMEX machine was not working did I have another card. I gave them a Visa --- however, they were trying to sell me a Signma for more than the Nikon and said it was much better suited for my camera. I said no and to please proceed with my order. Now I have received an email stating that the lens was oversold & is now on backorder. I called the company (no previous info given) to see if a lens was in stock. He said it was, but proceeded to go through the same lines as before to sell me something different. I told him no, I know this is the lens I want and the line was disconnected. --- found all the other complaints so guess the price was too good to be true.

• Tu
    tutumiles1 Mar 06, 2009

I agree, this company is bad news! Do avoid

• Wa
    Ward Feb 13, 2009

I agree with everything I have read so far about these people ... I was interested in a Canon lens and I had called CanonUSA to check out what to expect, was this lens compartible with my Canon 40D and the 2x II extender ... How was the len built and what was included in the box ... When I was calling around, I did call Sonic and asked them a few questions ... First they do not like answering questions ... Not only were the person rude, he was bold enough to tell me the CanonUSA tech / parts people did not know what they were talking about regarding that lens and he knew more ... When I asked what was included in the box his answer was just the lens ... Front and rear caps, soft case and shoulder strap were an extra cost factor ... When I mention that the CanonUSA parts people said what was included again the guy told me they do not know what they are talking about ... I called CanonUSA back they said this practice was called "stripping" ... Its a practice of removing every thing of either the camera or lens boxes and selling those items separately to you driving the price upward ... If you shop with them be warned these people have many years of experience screwing people with no regard ... Thanks, Ward

• Ri
    rick Feb 12, 2009

Add me to the list, I had the same experience as Jerrod. I tried for the same lens, but Mark(ext.223)told me it wouldn't work with my Canon Rebel. He tried with the Sigma and I said okay. A quick look on the internet showed it for about $100. less than he quoted. I called back and canceled. He told me that it was already shipped! This was in a matter of 4 minutes! I called my credit card company and have stopped any charges from these crooks.
    How do you get in touch with the BBB, or anybody that can put these theives out of business?
    Rick

• Je
    Jerrod Feb 11, 2009

Sunday Feb. 8th I ordered a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens w/1 Year USA Warranty w/FREE Cap Keeper for $309.00
    Sub-Total: $309.00
    Shipping Method (8 to 10 Day Ground): $0.00
    Total: $309.00
    Tuesday the 10th recieved voice mail requesting I call [protected] ext 223 (Mark) for a confirmation. When I called right out of the gate he asked what camera I was using the lense for. When I told him it was a Canon 30D, he said it was for a full frame camera, and my camera has a 1.3 factor. Mark told me I needed a Sigma but it was $599.00 on his site. He could sell it to me for $399. I said that wasn't in my budget, then he lowered the price to $349. I said no, then he said if you buy it right now he would give it to me for the same price as the canon lense. I told him to cancel the order. I am really worried about them having my credit card numbers. That isn't a busines, it's a racket.

• Ji
    jimru21 Feb 10, 2009

I hope I did not get ripped off by these guys. I tried to purchase a Nikon lens from them yesterday. This morning I got a email asking me to call to confirm my order. After being put on hold for ten minutes I was told that the lens I ordered was a gray market lens and was not in stock, would I like to buy the US version at a much higher price? I told them no and asked why it was not indicated that the lens was gray market in their ad? They said that people do not care.
    Any way Sonic said that my card had not been charged and my order had been canceled. Hope, hope hope.
    DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, IT IS A SCAM!!!

madashell2 Feb 04, 2009

soniccamera are total scammers! I ordered a cnon XHA1- they told me it did not come with a lense...but they wouldn't let me cancel the order because they said they already shipped the battery... then they told me that they would have to charge me 269.99 no matter what... please complain to google and don't let them advertize on google adwords

• Ct
    CTL Photos Dec 16, 2008

A friend stopped by with his new 50D camera yesterday. Below is what the package is supposed to include. He didn’t have the 70-200 lens with him but I smell a rat. The 24-70 that he told me was the same Canon lens I had was a Sigma, which retails for a third of the Canon. Look at the list and enjoy the laugh. He may be a good shopper but he got screwed this time. Sonic actually advertizes the 50D for $550.00 (down from 620.00 a week ago).
    This is what they list on their website and in bold is what he got:
    Canon EOS 50D Digital Camera Body 1100.00 (these prices are from Adorama)
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L EF USM Lens Canon lens $1200.00 Sigma 435.00
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L EF IS USM Lens 1500.00 Sigma 715.00
    Canon 580EX II Shoe Mount Speedlite Flash 380.00 Aftermarket less than 100.00
    Canon BG-E2 Vertical Battery Holder Grip 220.00 Aftermarket 85.00 wasn’t on camera
    4GB Compact Flash Card 40.00
    Compact Flash Card Reader 15.00 @ new egg
    Deluxe Digital Camera Carrying Case 50.00
    Deluxe Lens Care & Maintenance Package
    Full Size Tripod 25.00
    Pack Of LCD Screen Protectors 12.00
    Cap Keeper 2.00
    The Package is actual worth with all the Sigma and aftermarket items 2590.00 he paid 3300.00
    They now have it listed at 2499.00 which is all it is worth. No wonder they list a 50D alone for 550.00, you can order it you just can’t get it. They package it up with this other junk and you end up with a retail DEAL. No thanks I’ll stick to B&H and Adorama and stay away from Sonic.¬

• Ho
    howard Dec 03, 2008

SONIC A HOLES : CLASSIC BAIT AND SWITCH. YOU'LL NEVER GET THE ADVERTISED CAMERA. LIES ABOUT USA AND GREY MARKET WARRANTY. STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THESE GUYS AS POSSIBLE.

• Al
    alex J Nov 20, 2008

SONIC CAMERS IS AN INTERNET SCAM
    I ordered a $850 Canon lens and they switched my order to a "better" lens for $1190, which turned out to be a Sigma retailing elsewhere for $390. thanks to sites like this I was able to cancel my VISA card before they could bill me. Thanks bloggers! Next time I will google the company before I submit my credit card.

• Za
    Zach Nov 13, 2008

While trying to confirm an order over the phone an employee who said he was the supervisor deliberately lied to me about the product I was ordering in order to get me to purchase more accessories. In the end my order was canceled by this Supervisor because I wouldn't buy the extra accessories. He was extremely rude and what he was doing was illegal.

• Ha
    harry Nov 11, 2008

Total rip off

/URL removed/

• Ro
    Robert Bohr Sep 28, 2008

Sonic camera got me for1000.00 dollars for a 419.00 lens 69.00dollars for a lens hood that is only 19.95 and a filter kit for 400.00 that is only 149.00 and a warranty for the lens.
    it was a scam do not buy a thing from this camera shop or you will get taking

• Sl
    Sloan, Samuel R. Sep 15, 2008

DON'T BUY FROM SONIC CAMERAS, PERIOD.

I really wish I would have read this before doing business with Sonic Cameras. I fell for their scams and ended up paying out the ### for a camcorder that I didn't even want. I returned the camera, paying 410 dollars for a restocking fee, then they have the audacity to claim that I did not return everything and that I now have to buy a composite cable and remote for a camera I don't have anymore, and they are not going to return my money until I pay. Dirty ###! I know I returned these items because I have witnesses and I have double-checked everywhere I took the camera. Plus, I never even used the remote, so it never left the box! They piss me off with their lies!

• Bo
    Bob204 Sep 02, 2008

Surfe glad I checked out the complaint dept. I was just about to order a lense from Sonicamers.com . I don't have the money to go full retail though.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Ad
    Adrienne Aug 28, 2008

I originally ordered a Canon Speedlite 580EX online from Sonic Cameras. I WISH I had read these reviews first, because in true Sonic Camera fashion, I got the same treatment as all of these other customers. I got the email that said to call and confirm your order. When I called he asked if I wanted to buy a battery charger also. I agreed. Then he said what kind of camera do you have? Oh, the metal shoe mount will work much better for that, would you like to switch? I said OK. Then when I got my flash alright and it was switched!!! To a Sigma 530!!!

So, I called customer service to ask why it had been switched. He said you asked for it. I said I NEVER asked for a Sigma flash, I ordered a Canon flash. And his response was "I find it very ODD that you are calling 9 days later!" At that point I said "is this CUSTOMER SERVICE?, could I please speak to your manager, you are being very rude?" He said no. I don't have one. I asked again and he said "I own this place". I said "well then I won't be buying anything else from you". He said "FINE!" I will be reporting this to the BBB.

• Va
    Valdemar Jul 31, 2008

The moment you see the prices it's obvious this is A SCAM, and there's lot of additional "red lights" flashing while you go through these people's website (eg. Customer Testimonials, what a joke.) Eventually these clowns will be forced to shut down this shady, dishonest operation. Don't order anything from these CROOKS aka Sonic Camera!

• To
    Tony A Jun 15, 2008

I purchased a canon 40 d online from them with a lens -price 689.00. I got a call from SonicCameras who tried to make me get an extended warrantee and another battery. He said the battery from canon lasts 20 minutes. When I told him I wasn't interested in the additional battery, he had the audacity to tell me the camera from Canon lasts only one time-when it was discharged, that was it.
    He said if I wasn
    t going to get the additional warrantee and battery, then "forget it. I am cancelling the order". I then told him that I want to cancel the order immediately.These people are dishonest.

• Fr
    Fred May 18, 2008

I had the same experience recently. I had to verbally cancel my order, which Sonic Camera said that they did. I asked for email confirmation that my order was cancelled and have yet to receive written confirmation from them...something that is always done with legitimate internet business companies. Same M.O. with respect to using American Express and with upgrade of lens. I am hoping that New York State for the FBI investigate their legitimacy to execute business within or off of the internet.
    I too am shopping at a legitmate retailer...priceless lesson learned...

• Ed
    Ed May 12, 2008

Amazing - same M.O. I get an email to confirm order, they waffle and tell me it will be shipped from China and could not be here for 4-6 weeks. Waste of time.

• Ra
    Randy May 09, 2008

AVOID SONIC CAMERA AT ALL COSTS !!! Also had a bad experience withe these guys. There is no way they will ever sell you a camera at their advertised low price. It is all bait and switch. The only way to even buy a camera is to get accessories or packages where they promise high quality lenses etc, but they are all generic crap that you can buy for a fraction of what they offer them for. Very hard to deal with by phone if trying to return an item. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. Even after they mislead you they want a 15% restocking fee. Similar impression I get with 86th street photo, Best Price Cameras, Broadway Photo, Lenses and More. Wish I would have just gone to a retailer and paid more rather than to have the experience I had with Sonic Camera.

• Ri
    Rita May 02, 2008

These guys are running a bait and switch operation out of Brooklyn. I believe they've operated under several other names which were found to be scam companies. They are REALLY GOOD liars. DO NOT believe them and DO NOT buy from them. They are currently under investigation by the Better Business Bureau.