Smileboxcharged for a "free" membership after cancelling

R Nov 19, 2019

On November 14, 2019 I looked at my credit card statement and saw that I had been charged an annual Smilebox membership fee of $47.88. I was surprised because I knew I no longer had a paid subscription. I signed into my Smilebox account and sure enough, my status said "Basic Membership" which is free. Had I known Smilebox would be dishonest, I would have taken a screen shot to support my claim, but unfortunately I gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking surely I would have no trouble getting refunded since they could see on their end that I had a basic membership. I looked back at my old statements and saw that not only had I been charged $47.88 in November 2019, but also had been charged in November of 2018 and 2017 as well. This likely went back farther than the statements I could access online but I only requested the $143.88 refunded that I could see. I contacted them with my request and they responded that I had a Premium membership (untrue- my profile indicated basic) but they would "cancel" and refund. I replied back for clarification that they were in fact refunding the full $143.88 not just one year. They responded that no, it would only be $47.88 because of their "no refund policy" and the "terms of membership" I had "agreed to". I replied that I had not agreed to that- as evidenced my by BASIC membership. Their final response was to send me a copy of the Terms of Membership and close my case. I will be taking up the matter with my credit card company as well but I'm not optimistic about being able to dispute charges that are 1 and 2 years old. Additionally, I wanted to be sure to alert as many people as possible to their dishonest business practices and their unwillingness to correct their mistake and refund my own incorrectly billed money.