Singh Auto WorldTerrible company

We found a Mercedes that we liked for $4600, but the dealer was in a town 1.5 hours away. We asked them to bring the car to their Lancaster lot and as long as there wasn't anything major wrong with the car, we would take it. They couldn't bring it down for about a week -- she said they had to replace the air-intake valve.

We met at the lot on Friday 2/6. There was a lot wrong with the car. The seat controls on the driver's door were pushed into the door and couldn't be used. The rear view mirror was loose and could not be adjusted into place. There was a whine in the engine compartment that sounded like a power steering pump going out, but sounded like it was coming from further forward in the engine compartment from where the steering pump is located. The valence below the front bumper was cracked and held together with electrical tape. The inspection ran out at the end of February. The car was filthy.

We didn't want the car in this condition, but told them that if they agreed to fix these things we would be happy to renegotiate the price, within reason. For the next three weeks I was in touch with them by phone, checking on their progress. They agreed to do the work if I would pay for the parts. I agreed, and the price went up by about $400.

Finally they brought the car back to Lancaster on 2/27. The driver seat switches, the mirror, and the valence had been fixed; but the engine whine was still there and they hadn't done the inspection. The car was still filthy. We had had enough of dealing with these clowns and decided to take the car and have it inspected ourselves.

Our mechanic found a number of things wrong with the car that had to be dealt with for inspection -- a tie rod on the passenger side, an AIR INTAKE VALVE (remember the original delay was because they had to replace it?) that had to be replaced to pass the emissions test, and the 'whine' was being caused by a faulty pulley on the serpentine belt. These repairs combined cost $1100.

Our mechanic also found an oil leak 'in the front of the engine, near the cylinder head.' They said they were uncomfortable attempting to find/fix that and that I should take it to someone more experienced with Mercedes specifically. The estimates I've gotten to repair that leak thus far ranged from $1500 to $1800.

One other thing -- the ad for the car said it had heated leather seats, it does not.

More Singh Auto World Complaints & Reviews

• Mr
    mrsmisty Jun 03, 2015

BEWARE!!!
    I purchased a 07 Volvo in April 2011. While in the automatic car wash my bumper fell right off. The body shop I went to said the whole front end was previously repaired incorrectly. Over the course of 4 years I replaced tie rods 3 times, had the exhaust system fixed that was falling and repairs too numerous to mention. I paid off this car early and traded in in recently at a reputable dealer. When they pulls up the carfax - alas it showed two major structural damage accidents before I bought the car. The worst thing is that I read the reviews for this dealer and I viewed the carfax before I purchased the car. The carfax I viewed on the Singh website was clean and that is what angers me. They lied. The car was a good price but it was not a "steal". I cut my losses and made a very expensive mistake. Learn from my mistake and don't buy a car here even if the carfax looks good. I don't know if this practice of altering the carfax is legal but it's certainty not ethical. Please please go to a reputable dealer.

• IronGrudge89 Apr 09, 2011

Odd. I purchased a vehicle there over a year ago and haven't had a single problem. I had a friend (mechanic) thoroughly inspect the car and he found no damage or issues. Singh even called me personally a few months after I bought the car to ask me how it was. Before you ask if I work for them, I do not. And if I did, I wouldn't make it obvious like "Ankan Mitra" haha.

• Px
    Px1 Feb 22, 2011

I did purchase a vehicle from these guys and ever since i feel like the car had been in a major accident. It looks excellent but given the fact that car is fairy old with fresh paint throughout the whole body and It has very low mileage but does not perform like a low mileage vehicle. Somehow this car has a clean carfax report. Something is very fishy with these guys. I regret i made an impulsive purchase. I will NEVER purchase any other car from Singh Auto.

• Se
    SEP10 Sep 08, 2010

BEWARE! My daughter purchased what seemed to be a nice 06 Scion. However, someone bumped into the car in a parking lot and when we took it in to get the small repair fixed at the Toyota dealer, they uncovered MAJOR FRAME DAMAGE from a prior accident. Apparently the damage had just been covered up, both front and rear. All crumple zones were crushed and the bumpers were glued back together. The Toyota dealer said my daughter could have been KILLED in the car since all impact crush zones were compressed.
    When purchased, the car was INSPECTED by Singh as required, but this car would never have passed a state inspection. It was clearly obvious when the wheels were removed that the frame itself was crushed. The damage had been carefully concealed from the car buyer.
    When I contacted Singh, I was told repeatedly that they would call me back at a certain time, but they never did. I needed to chase them down. They DID ADMIT FAULT however, and offered a different car at their cost. However, when we visited the dealership, they offered us only some cars of lower value than the Scion. Eventually they agreed to refund the cost of the car.
    I would never trust this dealer again. Clearly it is their responsibility by state law to ensure the safety of a car they sell. "We must have missed it" is no excuse for selling a car with such major damage to anyone, let alone my 18 year old. There is something amiss with their State Inspection process.
    If you've purchased here, get it checked out. If you're considering purchasing here, get it checked out on your own or avoid this dealer. What seems like a good deal probably is not.
    One more thing: The CARFAX on this car was completely CLEAR. I assume this is because the damage was NEVER FIXED.

Ankan Mitra Aug 29, 2010

A Mercedes for $5K odd and she is complaining??..i mean are you kidding me...I have dealt with these guys and they are fantastic. Huge variety, very friendly and every single car is priced to sell.
    I say go for them. Sing is King! Ankan ( Syracuse, NY)

• Ga
    GA83 Apr 09, 2010

Hi awp, Salvage title is Reconstructed title, Every dealer BY LAW HAVE TO DISCLOSE. If you find out that the car ever had salvage history you are entitled for full refund. So i hope you take this car back to dealer, and if you dont then may be you are making things up.

• Aw
    awp Feb 22, 2010

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THOSE GUYS !!! somehow they "clean" up the Carfax Report, but on most Cars if you go to www.autocheck.com ( backed by Equifax )you can get the "truth" about the Cars they sell, alot of their Cars have "cleaned" Titles from other States, so you may be buying a "Salvage" Vehicle with a clean PA Title like I did and after getting in a very serious Accident, my Insurance told me that this was a New "York Salvage" Title Car and they only pay the "salvage" Value, not Book Value on the Car which is causing me some serious financial and legal liabilities.

• Sm
    smith15 Feb 08, 2010

they buy accident cars from auction and sells it for a little cheaper but some cars turns out to be good others you have to check very carefully. I bought an 07 accord and its running very smooth no problems. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN U GO TO CHECK OUT THE CAR.

chokung Nov 24, 2009

Over advertise on one side, Bad luck on the other!

sammy May 19, 2009

she wants brandnew car in 4995:-)

• Si
    singh auto world Mar 16, 2009

Hi Jessica,
    I apologize for the bad experience that you had with our dealership. It is 1997 Mercedes with 120, 000 miles.
    You bought the car for $4995.00 The retail book value as per KBB.com is about $7000.00. Here is the link for kbb.com
    Yes, The car was with us for about three weeks. You were offered to take the deposit back during that period. You had almost three weeks to make up your mind on this car. You also got this car checked out by your mechanic in Lancaster. There was absolutely no pressure on you to buy this car. As a matter of fact we have printed on our bill of sale that the deposit is 100% refundable.
    Even though you were aware of everything, you went ahead and purchased the car.
    We were never contacted about anything. We do take care of our customers. If you think there is something more that should be done, let us know.