Silvermine KennelTerrible breeder!

Within in a day or two of getting Zoe we noticed she wasn't eating much, but we weren't to worried as it was one of the hottest days of the year out, and she was just getting used to her new home. But within the next day or so, she was progressively getting worse (severe vomiting A little less than a year ago my family and I purchased a puppy from Silvermine Kennels. In a March '07 Lady/Gambler litter our little Zoe was born. I had called up in hopes to find a puppy to train to become a 'seizure alert' dog, as I have epilepsy. And that's where it all begins.

Within in a day or two of getting Zoe we noticed she wasn't eating much, but we weren't to worried as it was one of the hottest days of the year out, and she was just getting used to her new home. But within the next day or so, she was progressively getting worse (severe vomiting and diarrhea), and we took her to Emergency vet (under the advice of our regular vet) near death. Both our vet. and the emergency room staff said that Zoe was underweight and small for her age. After many x-rays, IV's, and antibiotics, they found the culprit of what was making Zoe so ill. It was a worm.

Strongyloides 'Threadworm' infestation. Usually this worm derives from cattle, humid, and cramped places. When we called up Mike Denny to let him know what was going on, he was rude and defensive. He said our vet. was 'not qualified.'. We let him know that our vet told us our pup most likely contracted the 'threadworm from her mother, and to let the breeder know (so that he could check the mother and alert the other owners of the pups). Mike seemed defensive once again and angry with us.

We sent him copies off all of her doctor's labwork, and the total of what we had paid for all of her work (ER: $484.49 Vet: $470.00 Total: $954.49) and Silvermine paid $350.00 out of the emergency vet bill because they 'felt' that's all they were responsible for. Silvermine would not fully pay for her vet bills because we took her in 4 days (and not the 3 as the contract states), even though we took her into emergency near death. And we had kept Silvermine Kennel posted the whole entire time. No agreements could be met. Although Mike Denny did threaten us with court if we pursued or pushed him/them any further...

Just this last Friday (March 7th 2008) we took Zoe into the vet. To our dismay we found out she has a very severe case of hip dysplasia for a dog her age (11 1/2 months old). She is looking to get a $2000.00 surgery on both of her back hips (by a specialist). Silvermine's contract states that within two years, if your dog shows it's dysplastic they will replace the current dog with a new pup (that's not verbatim the contract). But we want to keep Zoe so we called up Mike Denny to see if we couldn't come to some sort of agreement and to let him know one of his dogs has hip dysplasia.

The most damaging proof we have against Silvermine Kennel is the medical paperwork on Zoe. Saying that she came to us partially anorexic, that she had a doughy abdomen when entering the emergency room (meaning she had been underfed for quite sometime), and that she's got a worm infestation (strongyloidies 'threadworm') that is caused from things that are not in our environment altogether, and all of the antibiotics, x-rays, etc that she had to have... And now the hip dysplasia. This is Silvermine's wall of shame.

Please be careful when you're researching for a working dog, or family pet. Do not be fooled! You can run into a whole host of problems with unethical breeders such as Mike Denny and his family at Silvermine Kennel. BE AWARE! Stay Away From Silvermine Kennel!and diarrhea), and we took her to Emergency vet (under the advice of our regular vet) near death. Both our vet. and the emergency room staff said that Zoe was underweight and small for her age. After x-rays and IV's, they found the culprit of what was making Zoe so ill. It was a worm (parasite). Strongyloides 'Threadworm' infestation. Usually this worm derives from cattle, and cramped places.

When we called up Mike Denny to let him know what was going on, he was rude and defensive. He said our vet. was 'not qualified.'. We let him know that our vet told us our pup most likely contracted the 'threadworm from her mother, and to let the breeder know (so that he could check the mother and alert the other owners of the pups). Mike seemed defensive once again and angry with us. We sent him copies off all of Zoe's labwork, and the total of what we had paid for all of her work (ER: $484.49 Vet: $470.00 Total: $954.49) and Silvermine paid $350.00 out of the emergency vet bill because they 'felt' that's all they were responsible for. Silvermine would not fully pay for her vet bills because we took her in 4 days (and not the 3 as the contract states), even though we took her into emergency near death.

And we had kept Silvermine Kennel posted the whole entire time. No agreements could be met. Although Mike Denny did threaten us with court if we pursued or pushed him/them any further. Just this last Friday (March 7th 2008) we took Zoe into the vet. To our dismay we found out she has a very severe case of hip dysplasia for a dog her age (11 1/2 months old). She is looking to get a $2000.00 surgery on both of her back hips (by a specialist).

Silvermine's contract states that within two years, if your dog shows it's dysplastic they will replace the current dog with a new pup (that's not verbatim the contract). But we want to keep Zoe so we called up Mike Denny to see if we couldn't come to some sort of agreement and to let him know one of his dogs has hip dysplasia. He knows how sick she's been in the past and we asked if we could at least get a partial refund (on the original amount we spent to adopt her), to pay for Zoe's surgery and medical bills. He said that we could send her there to get the surgery and he would send us a new puppy. My husband tried to reason, saying it would just be saving him the cost of shipping and surgery, but Mike wasn't buying (and he was losing his temper). And of course, there's no way we'd send our Zoe back to those people.

The most damaging proof we have against Silvermine Kennel is the medical paperwork on Zoe. Saying that she came to us partially anorexic, that she had a doughy abdomen when entering the emergency room (meaning she had been underfed for quite sometime), and that she's got a worm infestation (strongyloidies 'threadworm') that is caused from things that are not in our environment altogether, and all of the de-wormer, x-rays, IV's, etc that she had to have... And now the hip dysplasia. This is Silvermine's wall of shame.

Please be careful when you're researching buying your next puppy. Do not be fooled! You can run into a whole host of problems with unethical breeders such as Mike Denny and his family at Silvermine Kennel. BE AWARE! Stay Away From Silvermine Kennel!

• Ri
    Rippedoffbysilvermine Mar 26, 2013

On July 17th2011, we received our puppy that we purchased for $3000.00 dollars from www.silverminekennel.com. $2500 for the dog and $500 for shipping. As expected we received an absolutely beautiful 7.5 week old English Golden Retriever. Everything about him was perfect and he took to his surroundings immediately. He is loved beyond words by my family and I wouldn’t trade him for any dog on the planet. The puppy within 24hours of arrival was diagnosed with Giardia, which is a common type parasite, I understand. We spent the money to fix it, to the tune of $200 including meds. The following week, the pup was diagnosed with an additional Protozoa, which again, we got it..it happens. We fixed that too and the price tag was another $200 with visit and meds. I did although call the owner Mike Denny to let him know what was happening. A couple of months later when the dog was 5 months old, he started limping on his front left leg. After several visits to two different veterinarians, an orthopedic specialist diagnosed our 5 month old puppy with Elbow Dysplagia….5 months old !!!

I again, called Mr. Denny and he basically said, “it happens, send me back the dog and I’ll give you a new one”. It was his intention to put my dog DOWN and send me another runt from his litter. That was not going to happen after acclimating the dog to my family and loving him now for almost 5 months. The cost of the surgery to repair the dogs elbow was $4600 (not including the cost of the prior x-rays and sedatives) Of course, we opted to have it done and were instructed to keep him quiet and on a leash at all times for the next 3 months so he can heal. Mr. Denny refused all requests to “meet us half way” with the
    vet bills. What a great guy… BIG heart.

Well, (2) months into his elbow healing he starts limping on his left rear leg. (Remember, the dog has been kept confined and quiet so his front leg could heal. No running, no jumping, no playing, nothing!) Back to the Orthopedic Vet, more x-rays and sedation. I was informed IN WRITING from our vet, that the dog’s Anterior cruciate ligament was slowly starting to tear, and in no way, shape or form, could this be a result of an injury due to the location of the tearing. He said it’s a slow tear and the dog will be lame within a short time if it’s not repaired. Again, I called Mike Denny about this situation. Mike Denny thinks he has the verbal articulation to talk his way out of anything and he has a contract to prove it.

So again, Mr. Denny slammed the door on any negotiations other than “send the dog back and I’ll give you a new one”. Does this man actually think I would take ANOTHER dog from him given what I’ve been through with the one he sold me?? Now, I started doing my own research and have found other owners who too, have gotten an inferior dog from this couple at www.silverminekennel.com

Mr. Denny said, “I protect myself from people like you with my contract. It is what it is, you signed the contract and now you want to change it ?” He kept repeating that ridiculous statement over and over and over. He had nothing else to defend his poor breeding practices with other than his “contract”. I consider myself to be a reasonable person. I’m not looking for a full refund on the dog, I, like several other breeders of this type of dog thought…he would stand behind his dogs and his business and make sure that I didn’t walk away angry. The breeders I have spoken to and the people who purchase dogs from them, say they never heard of such an atrocity! They could never in good consciousness do that to anyone who spent that kind of money in good faith. Now, keep in mind…the Denny’s are no spring chickens and it makes perfect sense that he’s heading for or already in retirement so what does he care? This man could care less that his business is getting smeared all over the internet. I have been in touch with others that have bought a dog from him with the same results I got.

He just doesn’t care. He’s a callous man who should not be in the breeding business AT ALL. His dogs, property and business practices are sub-level and sub-human. Mr. Denny has not only taught me a hard lesson…don’t buy dogs on the internet, but he has ruined a lot of business practices for the breeders out there that are ethical and have great reputations and would respond promptly so as not to have their good name tarnished. This man and his wife have absolutely no ethics whatsoever. The bottom line is…

BUYER BEWARE OF SILVERMINEKENNEL.COM !!!

• Ri
    Rippedoffbysilvermine Jan 28, 2013

If you wish to read "scam report" you will find the entire story of our nightmare experience with Silvermine Kennels as well as others. Bottom Line, Buyer beware. We love our dog, but there is no love loss for Silvermine Kennels. Buy your "English Creme" Golden elsewhere. Google LOOOOOVES silvermine kennels ;)

• Kr
    Kristal from NM Jan 07, 2012

Silvermine Kennel was recommended to me by another breeder that had no puppies at the time. We bought our male from them and he was in perfect health, very well socialized, and is so smart, we just love him to death. Silvermine is a very reputable breeder, he sends certification of hips, elbows, heart, and eyes, he makes sure to give information on how to take care of your new family member and is very educational and will answer any questions you have regarding their dogs or your new addition. They were very helpful to us and showed to be of excellent character. Please, if I may, where does it say that if you own and breed allot of dogs that you don't love them. Just because they have many dogs does not mean they do not love and care for them all, you can have a business in something you love and LOVE what you do, isn't that the American dream. He is offering people a chance to own a wonderful breed and ALL of their dogs are very well taken care of. They are all healthy and that is the main concern. Why should you judge someone by the number of dogs they have. Horse breeders do it all the time yet no one complains about them because it a business of something someone loves to do. If you have a license and you take care of your product and have a good product that consumers want, don't you increase your product so that you may offer more of it to the consumers, YES. Silvermine has all the makings of a GREAT BREEDER and a GREAT SMALL BUSINESS owner, They do all that is required and go beyond that for great customer relations. I own 4 English Goldens at the moment and love every single one of my dogs, they are family, we will also be offering puppies in the next year and will increase our family with new additions, and I can tell you right now that with every new dog that we add to our family it will be given all the love and care we can give. This is what I see when I look at Silvermine, don't judge because of the number of animals he has. Look at the quality, care and love a breeder gives, that is what is important.

cfmom Nov 30, 2011

It's not always feasible to go and visit the facility. I have been to Silvermine Kennels and I wouldn't want my dog to eat off their floor. Maybe if you ate your food off their floor you would end up with all those diseases these puppies come home with. I know several people who have purchased completely healthy puppies. It's because they were bred by ethical breeders, not breeders who are churning out puppies left and right for greed.

silvermineLOVEStheirdogs Nov 29, 2011

I find it really funny that many of the negative comments about how their dog has been "poorly treated" are by people who bought their puppy over the internet and never visited it prior to purchasing it. I have, in fact, visited their facilities at Silvermine, and I would personally eat my food off of their kennel's floor. The staff there love every one of the dogs, and I have visited the puppy I have picked out. My family did our homework, went and spent some time with Mike and Claudia and their staff (from another state!) and are very confident that Mike is a true man of his word. I could never believe that anyone that works there from their puppy nanny and kennel keeper all the way up to Mike himself could ever allow any dog to be hurt or neglected. Though they have quite a few dogs, each one gets one on one time with people, and as I walked among all of their dogs, I felt safe putting my hand through the fence as even the biggest studs licked my hand. All their dogs love people, and a dog that has been neglected does NOT love people. Our family has seriously and professionally bread dogs in the past, and from talking with Mike, he is one of the most knowledgeable people we have ever talked with about dogs. Yes puppies have problems, but they are problems that cannot be helped. Be responsible in your choices, and make sure you are ready for a puppy if you are buying a puppy! You are not buying a car with a manufactures warranty, you are buying a living, breathing creature. Things go wrong, but many many more things go right! I know you all love your dogs, and know that I believe Mike and his family love and care for each and every dog in their kennel.

• Kl
    KLI Dec 05, 2010

Silverlmine Kennel!!! First of all I am not a19 year old girl and yes I have breed golden retrievers before. I am 30 years old and I don't know why my age has anything to do with this. I have never run into a more rude and unprofessional breeder than the Silvermine Kennel. I would just want everyone to steer away from purchasing from these people. If you want a healthy, beautiful puppy always refer to the AKC website. Silvermine Kennel is AKC certified.

cfmom Oct 30, 2010

How does Silvermine "know" that they haven't done business with 12 of the posters here? The comments here are too serious to ignore. Good for those of us that have posted and even better for those who find this page.
    If you don't think Silvermine is a puppy mill, check out their web page of upcoming litters. WAY too many dogs! Those dogs live in their shed away from their house just bred to support their lifestyle. You're only paying for their trips to Europe, their Cadillac and Mrs. Denney's horses if you buy from them.
    Also, they have older puppies for sale...these are probably the dogs with hip dysplasia that were turned in by buyers who bought them with the breeding rights and the extra price tag. Thank goodness we picked the dog that ended up with hip dysplasia. We will make sure he lives a wonderful life rather than "return" him to Silvermine only to end up in a shelter or put down.

Bullsh*t Oct 12, 2010

If you are going to allow "good comments" from happy customers, than it seems to me that you should also allow negative comments on your "clients share" page. I am sure no negative comments make it through. It would be interesting to see tha ratio of good vs. bad comments. I understand it is a business you are trying to run, however when dealing with a retail store for example, their web page allows for all feedback. Don't try to tell me that no negative comments ever come through. If that was the case then this this page would not exist. There again, no one is going to "exchange " their puppy, giving it back to a breeder who is responsible for the defect in the first place. Who is to say you don't put the puppy down? You really expect us to think that we ship a sick puppy back to you and you then pay to get them well? Why not pay for the puppy to get better and let the client keep the puppy, if you are supposedly going to pay for the puppy to get better anyways? Sounds to me that dogs are indesposible to you.
    Good for you, two2afull. I am a strong believer in doing research before making any purchase, especially when it involves a life. The more educated you can be on a subject the better. Especially when there are so many puppy mills out there selling their own over bread pups to the public and pet stores.

silverminekennel Sep 09, 2010

I did some counting and not counting duplicate postings their are 26 total posters, 12 that have not done any business with us, 1 that concerns our son, 1 that is pure fabrication, 3 with dysplasia, 2 with worms, 1 with a cold, and 1 with a skin problem. There are 7 that are favorable to us. Considering the number of people that have purchased Silvermine pups this is not really a bad record. Of course we are sorry and concerned about the 7 dogs that have had problems but these are things that we cannot change. Most dog owners are aware that illness and vet bills come with owning dogs. We make all of our clients read and sign that they understand that we have limited responsibility for these vet bills. In all of these negative complaints we have lived up to our contract. We offered to exchange all of the dogs with hip issues. The rest were completely out of our control. Please visit our site www.silverminekennel.com and see our "Clients Share" page where many of our clients tell of their good experiences with us

• Tw
    two2afull Sep 09, 2010

Have to say the we are in the market for a Golden and was seriously considering Silvermine Kennels. NOT after reading all these comments and complaints! One or two complaints I could understand, but there are far too many complaints here to ignore. Thanks to one and all for possibly saving my family unnecessary expense and heartache. I'll stick to breeders that have a few good litters a year that insist on limited registration. Always suspicious of breeders that always have litters and will offer full registration "for a price". Those were the red flags that prompted me to check the web for any complaints. Best of luck to all of you with your dogs.

silverminekennel Sep 01, 2010

This was a surprise inspection. AKC does not announce upcoming inspections. We passed in every aspect.

• Rf
    rformanaz Aug 19, 2010

I find it very hard to believe anyone at Silvermine could purposely do anything harmful or negligent with their dogs, their business or their customers. I have a 4 year old golden from Silvermine. At the time I was not an experienced dog person but did a lot of research on the web and through friends. It became very clear to me that Silvermine had my best interest in mind in matching a puppy to our family. They even had a chance to sell me a puppy earlier than they did but suggested I wait to see what come out of a future litter because the parents had temperament closer to what I was looking for.
    The Denny’s dropped our puppy (Winslow) off in person and have always been available for suggestions and questions. I couldn’t have written a better outcome for Winslow if I tried. He has been absolutely perfect in every way. He is very intelligent, gentle, playful, funny, and overly friendly, the list goes on. Everyone comes over to see him when we are out. When my wife jogs with him every morning people we don’t even know say hi to the dog.
    I feel terrible for the people that have had difficult experiences with their dogs. I wish everyone could have the experience we have had. For an honest opinion from someone with nothing to gain or lose I would highly recommend, and often do, Silvermine to anyone looking for loving goldens and a great experience. (btw: everyone has to brag a little – Winslow is on the front page of the silvermine website – he is the one all wet standing in a lake in Canada).
    If anyone is considering silvermine and wants to contact me in person for a recommendation please feel free to do so. [email protected]

Bullsh*t Aug 15, 2010

Straight from the ASPCA website...

1. Airline’s Puppy Deaths Spark Debate about Commercial Breeders

As animal lovers become more aware that purchasing a dog from a pet store supports the inhumane practices of puppy mills, commercial breeders are using online sources to get their dogs directly into homes across the country.

On August 3, seven puppies died of suspected heat-related complications in the cargo hold of a plane en route from Tulsa, OK, to Chicago, IL. The victims were seven of 14 pups transported by the airline, and reportedly came from a commercial breeder in Oklahoma—many of the puppies were booked on connecting flights, making it likely that they were purchased online by buyers in different cities.

“Puppy mill operators are creating professional looking websites that convincingly dupe consumers into thinking they are reputable breeders, ” says Cori Menkin, ASPCA Senior Director of Legislative Initiatives. “A sure way to spot a scam is that they often offer to ship the dogs to the buyer without ever meeting in person. No reputable breeder would ever ship a puppy to a buyer sight unseen.”

Buying a puppy over the Internet is just as risky as buying from a pet store—you can’t see the puppy’s breeding premises or meet his parents. Furthermore, those who sell animals online are not held to regulations established by the Animal Welfare Act.

“The Animal Welfare Act requires breeders to be licensed and meet specific minimum standards of care for animals bred for resale, but a loophole allows puppy breeders who sell directly to the public—which includes over the Internet—to go unregulated, ” says Menkin. “They are able to keep inspectors away and operate without being accountable to anyone.”

“The bottom line is the only way to be sure your new puppy isn't a product of cruel and inhumane conditions is to see for yourself where he lives—visit the breeder’s facilities and meet the puppy’s parents, ” Menkin states. “Or better yet, adopt from your local shelter.”

For more information on the risks associated with buying a puppy in a pet store or online, please visit our online Puppy Mill campaign.

silverminekennel Jul 09, 2010

In response to Dillon and others who have said nasty things about our kennel and our dogs. We had our AKC inspection yesterday. AKC inspects these areas and ranks these areas either Acceptable, Needs improvement or Unacceptable.
    Kennel conditions
    E. Fresh air and absence of odor Acceptable
    F. Ample light Acceptable

Cleanliness
    A. Is overall appearance clean Acceptable
    B. is there an absence of fecal material Acceptable
    C. Are water containers clean with
    enough fresh water. Acceptable

A. Are there visible parasites Acceptable
    B. Any signs of untreated or visible wounds Acceptable
    C. Any coats inordinately matted/dirty/ neglected Acceptable
    D. Are any dogs grossly underweight Acceptable
    E. Do dogs have access to daily exercise out of
    cage or pen Yes

We passed every category with the best rating possible with no area needing improvement.

The inspectors conclusion:
    "I arrived on [protected] to do An General Inspection. I checked dog records first, I checked 12 records and all were ok. Next I checked on dogs, Dogs are kept in an outer building with indoor/outdoor runs...Customer is in compliance with AKC on this day of inspection."

So to Dillon and others who have said nasty things about our kennel and the condition of our dogs IT'S JUST NOT TRUE.

• He
    helpyourself May 12, 2010

Some very interesting comments and a lot of emotion in all of these posts. I do have English type Creams and American Goldens, My family and I work them in field trials and in conformation. I do breed and have a kennel name but don’t wish to advertise at this time. THE BOTTOM line is, that if a breeder does nothing with there dogs then there are a puppy mill. [censor]es should not be breed back to back and anyone who will import a puppy for you is also running a puppy mill. 2500 is not that much to pay for a quality pup if that is what you are getting. A breeder should never have two prices on their puppies. The quality is unchanged regardless of the papering, I will only sell a dog with unrestricted papers as a co-owner. This allows me to have an input on that dogs breeding and protects the dogs lines. There are many good breeders of American Goldens and a few good breeders of English Types here in the U.S, But do your research and run their pedigrees on www.K9DATA.com Make sure subject breeders are not in their three generation lines.

silverminekennel Apr 26, 2010

I should have said prior to you

cfmom Apr 26, 2010

Hmmmm, until now you have never had a client tell you that their vet would not accept shots given by a breeder??? We called you the following day we brought our sick puppy home to tell you that. ALSO, your warranty company also stated that they do not recognize vaccines given by a non veterinary professional. Any ethical veterinarian will not accept vaccines given without the certification from another vet. There is no harm in the puppies having their shots redone. If someone is thinking about buying from Silvermine, call your veterinarian first and see if they will accept the vaccines being administered by a breeder. If not, you will have to have your pet revaccinated at your cost, not covered under the warranty.
    Regardless of how I feel about you and your breeding practices, we love our dog. I just wish I would have run across this thread before we bought from you. Thank goodness for the internet, people can at least make an informed decision before they buy.

silverminekennel Apr 24, 2010

The author "cfmom" does not identify herself so I don't know whom I am responding to. I would not knowingly send out a sick puppy. I may very well have wiped a puppies eyes but not repeatedly for "eye snot". Most Breeders give their own shots and until now I have never had a client tell me that their vet would not accept shots given by a breeder. My opinion is that the vet here is just padding the bill. There is also a danger of over vaccination if shots are repeated. I have talked about hip dysplasia in other comments in this forum, unfortunately we cannot completely prevent hip dysplasia but we do have a very low percentage incident of dyplasia in puppies produced here. If you read this entire thread and our "Clients Share" page on our site www.silverminekennel.com you will find other comments by people who have visited our kennel praising our facility. It is relatively new and so far we have about $75, 000.00 invested in the kennel building, hardly a "shed". In addition we have large individual outside yards for each dog. We are in the process of fencing 1-2 acre yards where several dogs can run and play together. We feed Black/Gold Premium which is a high quality food fed by many kennels. Although we do make money breeding our dogs our goal is to produce family pets and we get daily emails from clients telling us how much they love their dogs. This is our reason for breeding.

cfmom Apr 13, 2010

I wish I would have come upon this page before we bought our puppy from Silvermine Kennels. I definitely wouldn't have bought from them if I had read this. We got our puppy and he was sick from the day we brought him home. When we picked him up at the Denney's house in KY, Mike kept wiping away his eye "snot" which turned out to be an eye infection amongst many other ailments. The warranty company is only second to Silvermine in dealing with rude people. It's only a false sense of security giving you a puppy with a warranty. The warranty didn't cover all the medical costs for taking our puppy in the second day we had him. Any credible licensed veterinarian does not accept immunizations done through a breeder, so our puppy had to be reimmunized as well. I am sure the veterinarian who signs off on the puppy in KY is just as unethical as they are because it was very obvious our puppy was very sick. Now our beloved dog has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. I only stumbled upon this page because it immediately came up when I went to Google and typed in Silvermine Kennel and hip dysplasia. I would never "exchange" my dog for another knowing the living conditions at Silvermine Kennels. They love to boast about their 50+ acre ranch, but the conditions of the dogs was not a standard I would want my dog to live in and eat the crap food they fed their dogs. The mother of our puppy was sick when we were there as well as another dog. They are breeding for the love of money, not the love of the dogs. They had too many dogs, it's no wonder the dogs are sick. That's fine if that's their business, but knowing what I know now, I rather have bought a puppy from a breeder who only breeds once or twice a year and have their dogs in their house, not some huge shed amongst 25 other dogs. There are good breeders out there, just keep looking and don't settle on Silvermine Kennels because they can breed you a puppy any time of the year.

Bullsh*t Apr 01, 2010

Rolling over laughing. There is no way in hell I would post my my name or exact location. You have a business that you are advertising online, so it would make sense for you to post your name and location. I am not a breeder so I would have no reason to post my information, I'm not asking for some idiot to come burn my house down. I think it is more then obvious that I live in GA as I said before I work with Adopt A Golden Atlanta. Hmm that should narrow it down even more. SoCal says you should sue Kira, whom he/she is claiming is me "Such BS", so yeah I can read. AND I never said I rescue only English Creme Goldens, but all Goldens. A joke and not worth your time huh? Bet you can't keep from responding. What good is a Champ bloodline dog if it has all kinds of health problems?? You would be better off getting a mutt from the pound. At least then you would be saving a life instead of helping bad breeders thrive. Silvermine-If your are going to "spend whatever is nessessary to to take care of any dogs sold with health problems", then why exchange them? Why not help the owner to get the dog the proper care, instead of having them "exchange" the dog they have grown to love like it is a pair of shoes that doesn't fit. Of course people are going to get attached and not accapt your offer. But of course your butt is covered because you can say "oh, well we offered". Ya'll are too funny, I really hope people decide to research before buying and stumble upon this site, as it comes up as one of the first pages when Silvermine Kennels is googled. I don't have to do business with someone to have done my research and know they are shady. I still think that SoCal and Silvermine are one and the same. Watch out, they have changed their name and location more then once. It could be Mike's son.

silverminekennel Mar 31, 2010

To BS
    I would just like to add. We have never done any business whatsoever, yet you chose to believe the lies and half truths that you read on this forum and completely ignore the many people that have bought pups from us that are more than perfectly satisfied. I will readily admit that we have occasionally produced dogs with medical problems but nowhere will you find anyone saying that we do not live up to the terms of our contract. We will and have exchanged dogs with medical problems. We then spend whatever is nessesary to take care of them with our vets. I have no idea why you have decided that we are not good breeders. We breed and sell dogs from some of the finest pedigrees in the world and are constantly seeking and importing new lines from International Champions to improve our lines and therefore the breed as a whole. I will no longer respond to anything that you have to say as it is admittedly not anything from your experience only what you have heard from others.

socalgoldens Mar 31, 2010

To BS, such bs, and other alias', from SoCal
    Well, seeing you do so much research and are so competent, and care so much why don't you publish your name and location. You know where we are. Silvermine publishes their name, address, phone #. Mine is on my web site at www.socalgoldens.com . So the only one missing is you. Gee! I am sure that is just an oversight on your part because being such a caring person, rescuing all the English Creme Goldens that are dumped at the pound, surely you would want everyone to have your name and location so that when we got tired of our Ch. Line dogs we could just call you!!! You are a joke and not worth my time. Maybe you are afraid if all us reputable breeders know who you are the only thing you will be able to secure is a virtual pet, and a couple slander suits. Go Away!!

silverminekennel Mar 31, 2010

For the record we have never "dumped" a dog at a shelter or pound. We have several senior girls here and only on rare occasions do we even let them be adopted out and then only to people that just fall in love with one of them. We have 54 acres here so we have plenty of room here. As far as this forum being for complaints only it is and has been acceptable for me to rebut your comments as well as for others to add their thoughts. By the way Socal was suggesting that I sue Kira and you claim not to be her. So maybe you should "Learn to Read". I do know Socal but we are just friends.
    Mike

• Ca
    Calling BS on SoCal Mar 31, 2010

I can not stress enough that this forum is for COMPLAINTS...as far as "If I was Silvermine, I would be having my attorney start filing a few motion's at the very least starting with a "slander and cease and desist order." Try, you have no freaking clue who I am so that would be kind of hard. I am going by what I have read as well as researched about Silvermine Kennels. Oh and by the way, you want to try and say that I am "Kira", hmm seems to me like So Cal is Silvermine posing as a customer to make them look better. Perhaps SoCal Goldens is just another branch of Silvermine. Two can accuse and point fingers. I have contacted Katie and have been talking to her regularly for over a year just keeping up with how her dogs are doing. So she is already well aware that I will be purchasing a puppy from her within the next year unless an English Creme Golden comes through the foster program I work with. It will be within the next year because I currently foster Goldens that are no longer producing enough puppies and questionable breeders such as Silvermine dump at the pound. If you want a Golden Retriever I suggest you look into www.adoptagoldenatlanta.com. Now I have not only suggested a very well qualified breeder but also a rescue. Still want to call me a jealous breeder? If I was don't you think I would be promoting my business not that of others?

• Ww
    www.SoCalGoldens.com Mar 29, 2010

No complaints from me about Silvermine. However, I am suspicious about some of these posts. Golden Mommy posted that 'she had 2 goldens, 10mo(Rylie) and 4mo(Bentlie) & the parents of both were the same, Mom 8 yrs old & Dad 14 yrs old.
    First! There is only a six month span in the birth of the above pups. This means that this poor 8 yr. old dog was bred only 4 months after birthing the Rylie litter. RED FLAG. Seems too soon for the mom to come in heat but I am open minded & I imagine it could happen. I personally would not breed a dog that was 8 yrs old to a 14 yr old, or to any dog, especially twice in 6 months. How many other times was this poor "Pet" bred?
    Golden Mommy states she got Rylie at 6 weeks. A little early, but depending on pup & new home, within the realm of being acceptable. But then Golden Mommy says she went back 6 months later and got (3) five week old pups. Wow! this is a little too early for pups to leave mom. And FYI-many pups do have parasites/worms but not all and hook & round are treated by breeder at 2-3 wks. Coccidia & Giardia are common & many breeders treat with prophylatic for these parasites.
    Then Golden Mommy says the breeder contacted her that a pup in the litter had parvo. Golden Mommy's pups were removed earlier and didn't get it. So somewhere between the 5-7 weeks the remaining dogs were placed & contracted parvo; but, their new owners didn't treat it soon enough??? So did they have it when they left the breeder or did each of these new people somehow track parvo to a new pup?? Then Golden Mommy goes on to say that 3 of the 7 remaining pups died. Golden Mommy took 3 at 5 weeks so this was a litter of 10. Ten pups with one 8 yr. old mom really would not be nourished enough to leave at the stated 5 weeks in my opinion.
    Golden Mommy starts giving her "Red Flag" advice. At this point I would wave a Red Flag at who NOT to place your pups with.
    Her Red Flags are: About buying a pup from a breeder that holds back a couple dogs for themselves. First, what I may find attractive in a pup, you may not. Some people want the biggest, the smallest, the darkest, the lightest, the calmest, the most active. We are all different in what we like. No pup is "better" than the other. I happen to like males that are chubby, very shy, lazy, goofy pups, with the "Duh" expression.
    Golden Mommy thinks it is a crime to retire and place an older dog. Really?? All my dogs are pets. Unfortunately, I do have more than a couple and cannot give them the one to one attention 24/7. I only breed a female 3 times, then I retire her to a family where she is Queen of the home. How can I do such a terrible thing?? Give my beloved pet to another?? Well, it is because she is my beloved pet that I can give her what I cannot provide. If you find fault with that I am sorry.
    Then Golden Mommy's next Red Flag is breeders with too many dogs. First, do you know how much land Silvermine has? Are you aware they have people who work there night and day caring for and loving all the dogs? I have never talked to Mike that he wasn't holding or carting around a pup.
    Regarding shipping. I agree shipping whether by plane, train or automobile is not desirable. Not everyone lives next door to their breeder. Pups are not placed in the "hot" part of the plane nor are they sedated. They actually do very well. As far as I know Silvermine has no problem with people coming to their facility to pick out a pup.
    Golden Mommy makes a comment about a withdrawn/shy pup having underlying problems. How would you know when you are taking pups home at 5-6 weeks? And here is a little tip. It is easier to bring a shy pup out of his shell than put a psycho pup back in.
    As a breeder I definitely think about the fact that I want all my pups to go to forever homes. If I sell my pups for $50-250 then I get $50-250 people & I go broke. If you can't afford to pay my price then how can you afford the high priced food, the vitamins, the shots, the training, the flea, tick, heartworm medication or the vet bills? Dogs are not cheap to maintain. In Dec. 2009 when my old boy was ill I spent over $4000.00 taking him to specialists in Newport Beach only to find out he had terminal cancer. The same month one of my females got her tennis ball stuck under the fence and in trying to dig under to get it, cut her foot resulting in an ER visit, with stitches, to the tune of $900. The same female got a spider bite and had to be operated on to remove dead tissue around the bite. Another $1000.+. Then I retired her had her spayed, her teeth cleaned, blood work and gave her to a family who needed a service animal. Add all that up and then tell me us breeders charge too much. I bet your breeder that unloaded the 3 five week old pups on you didn't spend much. As far as us paying YOUR vet bills. Why??? We have no idea what you have fed the dog or let the dog eat. We don't know how many times you have let the dog jump out of a pick up truck onto concrete, or if your yard contains toxic plants that can cause liver shunts or heart conditions. We have no idea if you let your children drag the pup around by it's collar, damaging nerves in it's neck. You bought 3 fifty dollar dogs. That tells me that you either A) are not willing to spend much money B) don't have the money or C) Feel a sense of entitlement and are possibly waiting for Obama to send you some TARP money so you can buy another dog.
    And the comment that "some of Silvermine dogs look like they have a slant of a German Shepard" Are you serious? I don't even know how to address that comment as it is so bizarre. All I can say is by your above comments the German Shepard comment is to be expected. OK I am done with you.
    P.S. I am the breeder (Silvermine refers to) that paid $2000. for the C-section. Late at night an ER visit with surgery is very expensive in Southern California
    On to Kira from Oceanside who goes by many screen names. Most recent posts are under "Such BS"
    I believe if you go way back on some of the first posts you will see posts from this person and the comments are not consistent with facts. I believe she is either a miserable person, or another breeder that feels she can only place her dogs by bashing others.
    So now Kira is getting her next pup from Lucky Lady. Lucky Lady seems to have very nice dogs. Katie is a dedicated breeder. You will find all breeders have different opinions, we all don't see eye to eye on everything. FYI to Kira...If you think Lucky Lady is going to put up with your crap or complaining you may be surprised. Katie is opinionated, knows her stuff, and doesn't need your business, nor do the rest of us.
    Kira..This is a forum for complaints, comments etc., however, you would be wise to be able to back up your claims and accusations. If I was Silvermine, I would be having my attorney start filing a few motion's at the very least starting with a "slander and cease and desist order." And if I was Lucky Lady I would not even deal with you. It is obvious that no breeder will ever breed a dog that you will be happy with, as you are the type of person that "knows it all" and has a complaint about everything and everybody. You distort the facts, have no first hand knowledge & to be quite honest don't make a whole lot of sense. My advice or 2 cents would be for you to get with Golden Mommy and get one of those $50 dogs. Now then you would have something to complain about.
    FYI again... I breed goldens for temperament, health, looks. I do not breed for show. My pups are sold as service and/or therapy animals or pets, therefore many of mine are larger and fall out of breed standard. ALL my dogs are sold on limited registration with a spay or neuter contract, as although they are AKC OFA etc., because some are too large to be of breed standard in keeping with the GRCA AKC guidelines, I do not want them bred & guard against indiscriminate breeding.
    Sorry to be so terse; but, all this breeder bashing is unnecessary. Most respectable breeders do not bash other breeders to try and sell their dogs as they don't need to. We each have our own opinions and respect other breeders, even if we do not agree with everything they believe.
    Have a great day!!!

Bullsh*t Mar 29, 2010

AAAANNNNDDDD if you read the second post from Such BS was copied and pasted from researching your name online. Never once did I claim to have purchased a puppy from you. LEARN to READ

Bullsh*t Mar 29, 2010

Such BS, has never nor will never purchase a puppy from you. It's funny how you keep ASSuming the people complaining about your "business" are previous disgruntled customers. I don't know who Island Kira is. Stop selling your Bull.

silverminekennel Mar 28, 2010

The last 2 postings from "Such BS" are actually from "Island Kira" whose Family bought a pup from my son Zach over 2 years ago. Kira has posted one lie after another on this and other forums. Here she is again trying to pose as someone who has never bought one of our pups in the first post and in the second post as someone else whose family has "recently purchased a pup", when in fact it was over 2 years ago. She has posted this same complaint several times as if it were new so that it shows up as another complaint and then says "Your name keeps popping up". There is nothing that we can do to prevent this girl from continuing to post her lies and deceptions except point them out when ever we see her post.

• Su
    Such BS Nov 25, 2009

Anyone considering buying from Silvermine should also read this...CLEARLY this has become a nice little family scam. Stop getting mad because we are opening peoples eyes to what they should look for in a breeder. After reading this I don't think you really need any more proof.

My family recently purchased a puppy from the Snow White Goldens Kennel in Phoenix, AZ. We were under the influence that we were purchasing an AKC certified, champion line, pure breed Cream English Golden Retriever for $2500. This is a significant amount of money for a dog, but the breeder and the breeders parent's had us convinced that we would be getting a beautiful, cream colored golden retreiver. The breeders name is Zachary Denny and he is affiliated with his parent's who run the Silvermine Kennel in Greensburg, Kentucky.

These people have lied and scammed our family from day one. My mother called the parent's in Kentucky first to see if they had any puppies available and they said they didn't, but that their son did. So they reffered my mother to Zachary who lives in Phoenix. My mother decided after talking with Zachary and researching his website that she wanted to put a down payment on a puppy. The down payment is $500 and is required in order to save the dog.

Soon there after my mother put a down payment, Zachary conveniently made himself unavailable! He wouldn't answer his phone, and he wouldn't return my mother's phone calls or emails until days later. He claimed the dog was healthy, free of parasites, and ready to go home, so my mother decided to fly to his home in phoenix and pick up the puppy or else it would cost $400 for him to ship the puppy, according to Zachary.

As soon as my mother got to his house, he would not let her in, he wouldn't let her see the Mom of the puppy, and then he proceeded to tell her that the mom dog died two weeks prior because she escaped and was hit by a car! B.S.! The day before my mom got on the plane to go pick up the puppy, she asked if the mom dog was on site and he replied, YES! Zachary, who claims to be an experienced kennel technician, due to his training from his parent's in Kentucky, lives in extreme filth! My mom took the dog, and as soon as she got home she took the puppy to the vet the following day! The vet told her right off the bat, "This is not a Golden Retriever and it is extremely malnourished"! Zachary claimed the dog to be 9 weeks old, but the dog only weighed 4 lbs! A 9 week old golden retriever on average weighs 10 lbs. You could feel the puppies skeleton poking out of her skin, she also had an extremely large belly.

According to the vet the puppy had parasites and was not feed properly! This is animal abuse! My mom was furious, and didn't know what to do. So she called the AKC, and the humane society, and the police. The police said that this was an FBI issue, and the AKC said that they have never heard of these breeders before, and that they were definitely running a puppy farm. The humane society in Phoenix said they would try to investigate him! I would just like everyone to know that these people are liars, cheats, and inhumane! They need to be put out of business! Please do not buy from them! Every animal deserves to be treated humanely!

Kira
    Oceanside, California
    U.S.A.

• Su
    Such BS Nov 25, 2009

I have done months of research and will be getting my Golden from Lucky Lady Farms and Kennels. If you are in the market for an English Creme I suggest you check her out. She does not SHIP puppies like they are freaking livestock so yes you would actually have to put effort into getting your new family member. I would never buy a puppy and not meet the mother and father. If you have 20 some odd females, that should be a red flag...there is NO WAY you can possibly show love and affection to all, that is BS...BTW that sounds to me like borderline hoarding. Check out any breeder that is in it for the love of the dog and they won't have more then 5 or 6 females at the most. Anyways, Silvermine the last time I checked this was an open forum to discuss sh*tty breeders and your name seems to keep popping up, or have you changed it yet again? I am not a breeder nor to I personally know any breeders so don't pull that crap with me. My current Goldens may not be English Creme, and we may have only paid a fraction of what you OVERcharge for them but our dogs are healthy and thats all that matters. No one said we don't expect to pay much more for an English Creme, but there are several other English Creme breeders I have looked into and when typing their names into Google no complaints came up...only yours. So yes, everyone shouls be careful when adding a new member to their family. God know there are backyard breeders everywhere.

silverminekennel Aug 19, 2009

I have no idea why this "complaint" is even here we have never to my knowledge done business with this person. First of all let me address a glaring inaccuracy about shipping. Airlines will not accept dogs that are sedated. Neither do they ship puppies in a Hot environment. The portion of the hold that they are in has the same atmosphere as the cabin that you fly in. In answer to the question why do people want their puppies shipped, many times that is the only way for them to get them. We ship worldwide and air travel is required. Even on a trip of 1000 miles or less it is better to ship a pup than have it travel by car 12-14 hours. We have never had a pup have any problems with shipping.
    We are criticized here for the number of dogs we have. We have 3 family members and 3 full time employees whose job it is to take care of our Goldens. We do not ever have "left over" pups. We have never had a pup that was not placed in a home. This lady went to a breeder and bought 3 dogs that were not sold before she got there. We do charge for our pups and so does every other breeder. We have traveled the world to get our dogs and in some cases paid enormous amounts of money for them because we wanted particular blood lines to breed forward. We charge what we consider to be a fair price for our world class English Creme Goldens taking into account the cost of the parents and the maintainance . This is the second time that someone has said that they don't like one or another of our dogs. Let me assure you people have different tastes and although you might favor one over another many of our clients would disagree and choose pups from the dogs that you don't like. Certainly we do not own a Golden that has characteristics of a German Shepherd.

As far as our exchange guarantee many people are not in a position to care for an ill dog and appreciate that we will assume both their care and the cost of that care. We cannot do as you suggest and "split" the cost of vet care because we have no control over the cost of that care. For instance I spoke with another breeder whose vet charged her over $2000.00 for a C-section. Our vet charges just over $300.00.

You are looking for an English Creme be prepared you are not going to get one for $50.00 or even $250.00. All in all think that you are right this is your two cents worth and no more.

• Go
    Golden Mommy Aug 17, 2009

I have 2 American golden retrievers, 10mo(Rylie) and 4mo(Bentlie). Both came from the same set of parents. The people that we purchased them from are not breeders (I know, I know), they have one female and one male. The female is 8 and the male is 14!! So, we had been in the market for a little while for a dark red puppy, FOUND HER. We didn't care that she didn't come from an AKC/CKC line. We paid $250 for her. We aren't breeding, we aren't showing, we aren't doing anything with her that would require papers so we were fine with her not having any. Her mother has papers but her father didn't, but you could tell by looking at them that they were pure bred goldens!

Anyways... We got her at 6 weeks and she was as perfect as perfect could get in our eyes! She potty trained her self within a week!! Anyways, we were so happy with her that we wanted another one! Partly because Rylie needed a playmate and partly because I wanted another. So, we got an email from them saying her mother was pregnant again and we went to look at them when they were 5weeks old. We ended up taking them then (we took 3 puppies), I know we shouldn't have but we did. They were eating dry food and were prefectly healthy.

***ALL PUPPIES when they are born will have some sort of worms. ALL of the puppies we had did!***

We kept a boy (Bentlie) the runt, my mom got a girl (Baylie) the talker and our family friend got the other boy (Jaxson) the fat one! Anyways, we were contacted by the people about 2 weeks later that one of the other puppies had contracted parvo. Luckily since we took them so early they hadn't gotten it. Out of 7 puppies 3 died. Mainly because their new parents didn't treat them as soon as the signs started. Ours were tested and are PERFECTLY healthy.

Point to this story is:
    Things can happen that are out of their control. (I am in NO WAY defending Silvermine or any other breeder). I don't blame them for the parvo incident. It was pretty much out of their control since the mother probably brought it in to the babies from their yard or pasture. They all had worms, a simple visit to the vet will treat that. I don't necessarily think that an excessive amount of money will get you a better dog (ie: characteristics, health, temperament, ect). We paid $250 for Rylie and since they knew the others would be going to a great home, we only paid $50 for each of the other 3.

We are looking to get an English Crème Golden within the next year or so and have a few breeders in mind. This forum has made me re-think everything all over again!!! I will be investigating these breeders even more than I have been.

We have been looking at websites after websites and these are red flags to me:

Lots of breeding dogs- Too many males and females. I understand that having a few different males ensures no inbreeding. But to have as many females and males as Silvermine has is to me excessive. It does worry me that they say that they get first pick of the litter and keep what they want out of that litter. I have been on their website and there always seems to be some "left over" that they are still advertising are available. To Me: If you are that great of a breeder you should have people lined up, on waiting lists for your puppies. If you breed according to "demand" you shouldn't have any puppies that have not found their forever homes.

Breeders who sell their retired females or males. These dogs have been with you for years... I understand that you are no longer making any money off of them, but why get rid of them? You are a part of their pack. They love you. And if you truely love them and are in it for the dogs, you shouldn't be trying to sell the retired ones.

Breeders that sell their puppies for an un-Godly amount of money.

Breeders who offer to ship their puppies. First of all, its not good for the puppies, they have to be in a sedated state, if they are flown they are kept in the HOT part of the plane that the other luggage is kept, they can dehydrate very easily or go comatose. Also, why would you want to have your puppy shipped? Its traumatic enough to suddenly be away from your mom and littermates much less be in an unfamiliar place with loud, unfamiliar noises. Wouldn't you like to see the conditions your puppy has been raised in, wouldn't you like to see mom and dad, spend some time with them and see their temperaments and characteristics so you can know what to expect from your puppy, wouldn't you like to see the littermates and how your puppy interacts with them to see if they play or are withdrawn (this can indicate temperament and health.
    I do appreciate the breeders that offer a new puppy if your becomes sick or has a genetic disorder within a certain amount of time.

BREEDERS: THINK ABOUT THIS SERIOUSLY!!! If I adopt a puppy from you, you obviously want me to be their forever home, right? MOST people that pay a significant amount of money for their dog/puppy end up immediately falling in love with them and they become part of the family. WHY would one want to give their dog, their family member back to you, just because they are sick or have developed an illness? Why would they want you to "exchange" their dog for another puppy? I know I wouldn't. Dogs are not material items, they are not like a defective tv or computer that can just be replaced, they are a member of the family (or at least should be). I would much rather prefer a sincere apology and an offer to assist with the vet bills since if I give them back to you, you will have to pay the vet bills anyways. At least that way its a win-win. I keep the member of my family and you don't have to pay the whole vet bill. Just a thought from an animal lover!

I do agree with a previous comment that a few of their breeding dogs have a slant to them that is not a characteristic of a golden, that is more of a german shepard characteristic. I do also feel sorry for the parents who didn't have a good experience with this particular breeder or any other breeder for that matter.

Sorry I have rambled on. This is my $.02!!

• Ti
    TimberDog Apr 28, 2009

Thank you for the post... your complaint led me to more in depth research, and I'm glad I did. I could have made a very terrible, expensive, mistake.

SoCalGoldens Apr 22, 2009

I think most breeders, like myself, breed for great health first, then temperament, then the looks, (blocky head, silky coat, and an ultra light white/champagne color)
    Considering how many pups Silvermine places, there seems to be very few complaints. Obviously there are always going to be people that feel they should have gotten a perfect dog at 8 wks old. When I purchased Nadia (Goose and Lady) Mike was very helpful in explaining the shipping process as I had never shipped a dog before. He spent a lot of time going over just what I was looking for in a pup. He gave me many tips about where to purchase supplies & shared with me his importing experiences. I found him to be very pleasant and accommodating to the 3 times I changed my mind regarding my choice of pup. Seeing I only had pictures to go on, I finally just told him what I was looking for in the order of importance and asked him to pick one. Nadia was exactly what I was looking for and a great compliment to either of my stud dogs.
    I thought "Boy, did I get lucky, " but since getting Nadia I have talked with other breeders that have Silvermine dogs & are very happy with them. The breeders I have spoken with all agree on one thing, Mike really knows his stuff! He is a very knowledgeable breeder. If I have any complaints it is with the Vet's. I have had many conflicting statements from vet's regarding everything from parvo to whelping. I had one pup that had diarrhea for 2 days. I gave him some Kaopectate which did not help. I walked into the vet's and before the vet ever looked at him she ordered about $400 worth of lab tests. I refused and we then ran one at a time and found it was the all too common coccidia on the first test. I had the RX at home and within a few days he was fine for a $30 office visit and $25 test. Maybe I am naive but in my experience I have found that most breeders are very honest and love and care for their dogs. You have to understand that we deal with people that don't follow directions on feeding, caring for, training etc. Then when the pup is sick, or unruly, suddenly we are bad breeders. As far as the cost of the dog, yes, 2000 to 3000 is very expensive. You can get a dog in the pennysaver for $200. & maybe you will get real lucky and get a good one. We charge a higher price for many reasons. One is that a $200 dog fetches a $200 owner! I don't want any of my precious pups going to someone that on a whim decides to get a dog. Also, most breeders are much more knowledgeable than the guy who is selling for $200. We know to order certain vaccines, wormers, etc. and when to give them. Many of us Avid Chip and have the parents checked out for genetic problems. Many of us keep records of each pups journey through life & note problems so we don't duplicate a problem in another litter. Many of us guarantee for several genetic problems & you know where to find us. Most breeders will only breed mom so many times and then retire her. We feed only the best along with the proper vitamins and supplements. Most of us will take back a dog if you have a problem and can't keep it. We then can find it another home. **I have one laying right here sleeping under my chair that is 1 1/2 whose owner took ill. She came to me untrained, unruly, and in 2 weeks she has been spayed, housebroken, kind of leash trained and will go to a retired woman for free. I just put $450. out for her medical bills. The people that buy from us do not want to go to the shelter for a dog. Some have tried the rescues, but many rescues never return a phone call. The costs we incur are astronomical. Plus, most of us donate to organizations like the shelters. We are animal lovers. You cannot do this if you don't like dogs. The cost of vacuum cleaners alone is enough to break you. I have never met a breeder that doesn't have several non-working vacuum cleaners in their garage; each one has bit the dust within a few months. So yes, the cost of a dog may be high but the net profit for each dog is not. Some kennels are much bigger so the volume helps with a larger net profit. I guess as the years go by and your kennels and equipment get paid for you make a few bucks more but no one that I know is wealthy selling dogs. Sorry that I have gotten completely off the track. My suggestion to anyone that has a problem with a pup, whether it be from Silvermine or anywhere else is to be upfront about the problem and not fling accusations until they know more of what they are talking about. There is nothing worse than getting a call that one of your pups has something wrong with it. I think as a breeder you kind of take it personally like getting the call that your kid is in trouble at school. Good luck to all in adding that new furry family member and may you have many years of health and happiness with your Golden.

• Ta
    Tasha Apr 19, 2009

Oh my god, I am so happy I read this - I was thinking of purchasing a puppy from Silvermine. 22 females?! Of course it's a puppy mill. Underfed puppies? I believe that. Those people will get what comes for them at one point or another.
    I hope Zoe is doing well.

Love my golden Apr 15, 2009

Yes I am sure I got what I paid for!!! Thanks for your concern though. I had a friend who actually went to this kennel 2 years ago and picked up her pup. That dog has now checked great for hips, heart, elbow and eyes. She did say it took longer to recieve her import papers but had no problem registering with the AKC and doing DNA testing through the AKC. So I took her advice and she helped me with this same breeder. Good for you with your good experience. I wish mine would have been. Because as I mentioned in an earlier thread that some of their dogs do look good and they have the papers to back them. But of course following a complaint Silvermine jumps on and says you are a jealous breeder. Well I am not a breeder nor did a "jealous breeder" tell me to give my complaint. Your Nadia was nice looking and I am sure the care and training you provide is excellent. I posted my bad experience as did many others because this is a complaints board. Thus the name -Complaints Board-. I did agree with many that yes dogs get worms and parasites. My pup had to be treated. I was not shocked because every puppy I have ever known has had to get treatment for something. They eat crap for goodness sakes. But I have taken the proper precautions as a pet owner to take care of this animal. My pup is a healthy 6 month old boy now doing great. Yes I paid for my animal because I expect quality that went into the champion breeding. But I do wish people would quit using Platinum Blonde or Snow white for the descriptions. This only preys on the people who think they are buying something RARE. False advertising! My personal opinion. Look at your Hunter on socalgoldens. He looks just like my import in color and build. This is a cream color. Although his mother was "White" she was not advertised as such. His father a very warm cream color. But it is not about the color-it is the temperment and health. When you are at a dog show here or overseas, they don't say now entering the ring the Rare white platinum blonde snowy white Golden Retriever. Not once on your website did I see the words Rare White or Platinum or Platinum Blonde or Snowy white pups metioned. I respect socalgoldens for that. Have a great day to all, Silvermine lovers or Not.

socalgoldens Apr 14, 2009

I purchased a pup 10 months ago from Silvermine. She is beautiful, sweet, gentle, well adjusted, etc. She is from Goose and Lady.
    I had no trouble with contract, paperwork, delivery or anything. The pup had mild coccidia which is very, very common.
    I just had hips and heart pre lim done and she is excellent. While at vet I ran into someone that had another Silvermine male from Adam and ??? He was breathtaking. He tested excellent for heart, hips, elbows.
    If you complainers knew anything about pups you would know that they go thru a chubby stage, thinner stage, they do get parasites, and they don't live forever. It is only common sense to take a pup in for stool samples often. I mean they eat everything; bird crap, cat crap, their own crap, etc.
    My Nadia is still eating stuff that makes me cringe and then there are the occasional pieces of gravel, wood chips etc.
    But I have no complaints about Silvermine and of course they have to make money, duh! Did you expect them to be a non-profit org. As far as over populating, don't even go there. People that buy golden retrievers want golden retrievers, not the over bred and discarded pit bulls that are flooding our shelters. If an occasional purebred GR is turned in to the shelter the rescues snap them up in a heartbeat and sell them at top dollar so the "Everyone should run down and get a shelter dog" doesn't fly with me. Go after those pit bull breeders. All mine are Avid chipped and I am the last name on the contact so they would call me if there was a problem. Not only that but I and many of my breeder friends donate money and a lot of other stuff to the shelters.
    And for the person that researched the lines and imported a dog themselves. Good for you!! Are you sure you got what you paid for??? I know someone that got the dog but no papers. Try to re-coup that loss.
    If you are interested in looking at my Silvermine pup at 10 mo. visit www.socalgoldens.com

• Dm
    Dmac Apr 05, 2009

Who cares if someone breeds for money. I would think that would be a plus if they breed for money. They have a stake in how well their puppies are doing and I would assume invest large amounts of money to continue their business's success. If you have pure bread dogs that have puppies, and you sell them, you are breeding for money. I have no problem at all with that. It sounds to me like these guys did everything they could to make this lady happy including paying some medical bills and offering to replace the puppy. THEY TRIED TO REPLACE THE PUPPY! . Isnt that a show of good faith. It just doesnt sound like something a crook would do.

Love our Golden Feb 24, 2009

By the way Silvermine, it is 1st not 1rst.

Love our Golden Feb 24, 2009

I found a good website to check out. Heroes Gold Golden Retriever. Check out the CHOOSE A BREEDER SECTION. Breeder, Brooker or Pet Store? This would help many in search for the right direction to look for in a puppy breeder.