Shark Steam IronDangerous and unsafe

D Review updated:

I bought this steam iron and I am very unhappy with it. I just called the company and they cannot do anything about it. They are blaming my ironing board. It is unsafe and dangerous. When it is upright, it easily tips over and falls. I have had the iron for 10 months and I am more upset because it fell on the floor when I accidentally hit my ironing board last week. This is the second time it has fallen on the floor while it was heated. I cannot return to the retailer because I have had the iron too long. I know I should have returned the iron from the beginning, but it is now apparent that is unsafe.

Anonymous in NY Feb 24, 2010

Yes! Very true it tips over easily!!!
    I also bought this iron 3months ago (*December 2009) and it burned out yesterday (*strong electrical/plastic burning scent). I just called and was told if I want to have it repaired - it will take them 4-6wks to fix it, I must insure it for it's retail value, send with proof of purchase and/or with a copy of the owners manual guide because they need the warranty date. Meanwhile, you know this iron was manufactured Jan. 4, 2009 because the digits on the plug say so.

**I have returned items of much more value and have had replacements sent at no cost and within 10 business days.

Shark has a whole new meaning...

Andrea Miller Jun 11, 2010

the other day I went to turn on my professional shark steam iron on and it had just stopped working .It was still under warranty...I called the number from the manual...I would have to pay to ship it and I was to put a check in the box for another 9.95 dollars to have it shipped back from repair/ it would take 6 - 8 weeks for them to resend the iron back..
    I wouldn't have an iron for that long.
    I purchased the iron 6/15/09...from Walmart.and from the start date of purchase the iron tips over very easy off the ironing board...and in a few months the steam stopped working and didn't give off much steam anymore and the push buttons are very hard to push down.. while you iron you accidently hit the off button and have to restart it. The iron automatically shuts off too early, so you have to restart it again, while you are ironing...it is heavy and clumsy to operate...I never liked it much and should have returned it within the 90 days back to walmart...now they wouldn't take it back.
    I had to purchase another iron that cost less then the shipping and handling had I sent the shark iron back for repair...I have had a much cheaper iron that I purchased and had worked for several years... and the cost was under 20.00 dollars /// this iron cost me almost 50.00 dollars and I was hoping that it would last me much longer and to my disappointment it only lasted under just a year!!!

• Lz
    lzlzlsdid;dl Aug 30, 2010

We bought a Shark iron just over a year ago and it just stopped working. No more Shark irons in this house. Walmart should stand up to this vendor and tell them to either give it a longer warranty and be prepared to fix these things or just make them better. Another reason not to shop at Walmart, they sell junk at lower prices and there is no support when things break earlier than they should. Shark, they must also loan people money the way they operate their iron division.

• Ir
    Ironing girl Sep 22, 2010

Horrible, horrible product. I bought one because it was light weight. I had it, probably 4 months when it simply stopped heating up. So, stupid me, I went back to Kmart and bought the same iron again (light weight) and had it for less than 1 month when, all of a sudden, it started smoking and burning inside. It looks as though the bottom plate is coming off on one side. It was never dropped. I didn't have it long enough for it to sustain any damage ! I was able to unplug it but the burning continued. I was able to get it outside but the entire laundry room was filled with smoke & electrical burning smell. Horrible product. I didn't keep either receipt because my house would be cluttered up if I kept my receipts for inexpensive items like irons. So no recourse. But do not buy one as it could catch on fire when you are not in the room.

• Ir
    Iron Guy Oct 28, 2010

We bought the Shark Model GI468C 10 for $100.00 because it was said to be the top of line Steam Iron. What a piece of junk. Whoever designed this iron and its flexible cord system should fired and then whipped with the cord. It falls over shuts off and just recently quit altogether. The connection where the cord goes into the handle is obviously damaged because when you wiggle it the lights go on and off. Shark needs to take a good look at why they ever entered into the Steam iron market, and concentrate on something simple like a vaccuum cleaner. We had to go buy another iron so we selected a T-Fal model for $35.00 ... Yeah, I know another piece of junk from China with limited warranty. When are we going to be able to buy a quality North American product that is built by people who take pride in what they do? My mothers iron is made by Sunbeam and is over thirty years old and still pressing... She's refused to sell it to me.

• B4
    B4realestate Oct 31, 2010

I received a shark steam iron for mother' day as a gift and should not have thrown the box away. Three month's later it just stopped working. The local kmart agreed to exchange it when they noticed it was pratically brand new but they wouldn't leave it in the box which was fine. I have been using the new iron for 2 months, it started making a sound like an electrical shortage while i was using it, then it started to smell of burned rubber or wire, the lights started flashing and water disbursed and it never came on again. The cost of the shark iron is about $60.00. I have purchased irons for $9.00 that lasted a whole lot longer. I do not recommend anyone purchase a shark steam iron.

• To
    Tom keen Feb 25, 2011

I too bought a Shark model G1468 10 at Walmart, the cord broke where the swival enters the iron. I repaired it, and now the after a week of useage it started smoking internally (not the cord this time) and fails to come on. What a piece of junk, just as everyone else said...I have an old Black and decker that is over 20 years old that still works. This thing only lasted 7 months...I believe their is definetly a fire safety problem. It should be recalled for fire hazard...

angry ironer Apr 24, 2011

I also bought a shark ultimate professional iron, and because it said professional, I thought Iwas finally buying a great iron, especially since it cost more than the other brands, I haven't had the iron for 6 months when I plugged it in and it wouldn't heat up at all. How disappointed to not be able to iron, right before having to be at work, had to go to work with a few wrinkles, I would never ever recommend this iron, they are taking people money and not carrying about the guality that they are producing. Such a shame.

Shark Stinks May 20, 2011

Consumer BEWARE!!!
    I also purchased a Shark Iron Model G1435 11 at Wal Mart in Sep of 2010. Well it did not last long, it broke in May of 2011. Electrical problem I guess, it just burned out internally, smelled like burned rubber. This should be reported as a fire hazard and should be recalled.

• St
    Steven Mcintosh Jun 03, 2011

I purchased a shark Gi49011 for the second time any turned out with the same results, leaky iron that shuts off to soon that will eventually stop working . oh boy, what a rip off !!!

martha alvarez Dec 13, 2011

I agree with the rip off part, this irons and yes I was an idiot since I bout a total of 5 in under 5 years this last one only lasted 11 months. I will never buy another shark of any form since they are junk or maybe refurbished. When you call they will replace or repair but its money up front and you have no iron until they determine what is the problem. I iron every day and can not afford to be with out. I could get a replacement one for the price of a new one out of the store.. Rip offs!! I will do everything in my power to bad mouth shark.

• Ji
    Jim1969 Jan 10, 2012

Same problem. After 12mo no longer heats, no lights, no work, no good. Done buying Shark China products.

• Sb
    sb2jssk4 Feb 11, 2012

Wow, after reading all the other complaints about the Shark iron I can see I am not the only one who really dislikes it. It does tip over easily, and my steam button broke so now I can't get any steam to work. I guess it's time to research irons and see what not only works, but who stands behind their product.

• Rm
    rmartin67 Mar 02, 2012

My shark iron GI405Z JUST SHORTED OUT fire came out of the handle where the cord goes into the iron. beware!!!

johnnyx Mar 15, 2012

Thought I was the only one with Shark iron problem until I got to this site. Got mine for about a year and now it is dead. No power what so ever. No more Shark iron or product in this house!

• Dm
    Dmwilson26508 May 02, 2012

I agree this iron is junk. Mine heated up great but now it will turn itself off and it won't come back on. I have to unplug it, wait, and then plug it back in. I can't get one item completel ironed before it turns off. I brought a cheaper iron to get by and it just doesn't get hot enough. My husband wants to buy me one of those really expensive irons that they show on the quilting shows but I just can't see paying almost $200 for an iron. I guess I will just use the one that doesn't get as hot as I like. It at least stays on.

• Di
    Disappointed Christian Jul 19, 2012

I bought this iron about 10 months ago from wal-mart. Can't return it because they won't take it back. This really stinks. I turned it on and when I was ready to iron, I put it on the garment and it burned it. The iron heated up so much that it made the garment crack like I had left the iron on it for a long while. I unplugged it and tried to start it up again, it won't turn on anymore. It is a major hazard and something should be done about it. I will report it to consumer digest to see if anything can be done.

• Ju
    jubabe296 Sep 14, 2012

This iron is a piece of junk! As well as being easily toppled over it is a fire hazard! MIne just shorted out and filled my home with electrical smoke!! I will be buying a new iron but it sure won't be a Shark!! The company needs a recall on this iron before someone's house burns to the ground because of it!!

• Oh
    oh_no Oct 12, 2012

My Shark & Professional&; iron crapped out after 3 years of light use. It originally cost about $80. In comparison, my old Black & Decker iron ($15) that I got in freshman year of college still works. I will never by another Shark product again.

Cheapshark Jan 16, 2013

I bought one too, it was working good then a few months later stopped, i called the number to get it fixed and was yold the same thing as many here, so yhey offered to replace it since it was still under warranty and they said i would get one of same value, well surprise they sent me the cheapest one they had and it was worst when i wanted to use the steam it poured water thru the top buttons i stoped usimg it since there was a ridk pf getting electrocuted, .

• Wj
    w jon Jan 21, 2013

I just brought a Shark Iron for $70 dollar Saturday. I used it twice and on the second time it started to ooze some oil/sticky liquid from it. I was leary about putting it on my shirt so I put it on the very bottom and push the steam, it left a perfect impression of the steam holes on my shirt with the oily/sticky stuff. I have a 20+ year old Black and Decker travel iron, that works perfectly. This one's going back and by something other that a Shark.

• Wh
    Why me??? Jan 28, 2013

I have the shark ultimate professional GI568 10 and I haven't had the iron at least 1 month initially and the setting button came off.Very cheap needless to say I kept it anyway and I'm at about 12 months or so and the cord at the base where the cord enters the iron has a whole and exposes the wires from internal heating of the unit. It is unsafe and a pure hazard. The unit has not been mishandled or anything, and had I not paid attention to the green light shorting out I could have experienced being shocked etc.

Very Bad Product. And the warranty is a joke being that you have to pay for shipping for a defaulted iron which cost about $20 and wait approx. 6 to 8 weeks. You are better off buying a better brand like Black and Decker. Boycott Shark products from Walmart or where ever.

• St
    stop defects Oct 09, 2013

Bought the GI468C 10 from Walmart and six months later the cord shorted out. How dangerous. Shark you should be ashamed but what can you expect from China. It's beyond ridiculous trying to find replacement parts because they want you to send it back to fix at a cost. What a bunch of crock. I suggest no one buy any Shark products. They are truly a waste of your hard earned dollars.

SharkAttachk Nov 07, 2013

Darn... my Shark shuts off about 2 minutes after I plug it in and turn on... then I have to unplug it and plug it back in to keep going. This thing is a piece of crapolla and annoying as all get out.

• Mo
    Moeasha Nov 25, 2013

I bought the shark iron about a year ago at Kohl's this morning while ironing it stopped working so I unplugged it then plugged it back in, in about 10 minutes it started heating up but the button wouldn't move off the power button then it started popping and smoking so I quickly unplugged it. It was like it was going to catch fire glad I didn't walk off and leave it. Will not be buying another Shark iron. Very dangerous

sha-na-na Jan 22, 2014

My husband bought me a Professional Shark Iron for Christmas a couple of years ago. I iron two pieces of clothes everyday. I take care of my iron. I have never knocked it off the ironing board or anything like that. I too was disappointed in the cord connection. The lights started flickering like there was an electrical problem. I have an old Black and Decker iron that still works. This is a defective product and I would not buy another one. Shame on the manufacturer for not replacing this hunk of junk.

• Zl
    zlady Feb 10, 2014

I just replaced my 1 yr. old Shark iron with a Sunbeam. I will NEVER have another Shark iron! It hasn't worked right since I got it.
    The cord was always shorting out, plus it tipped over constantly. These are both safety hazards. So done with Shark.

• Zl
    zlady Feb 10, 2014

Shark irons are a piece of junk. Had mine less than a year. It shorted out constantly at the base of the iron, where the cord connected. I also have had the iron tip over many times. Both are safety hazards. I just went out & bought a Sunbeam. No more Sharks for me.

• Da
    Dave Disappointed Mar 22, 2014

I bought a Shark gi435n steam iron and for the first 2 1/2 years thought it was perhaps the best iron I've ever owned. However, it developed a short in the electrical cord right where it enters the iron. To make matters worse, i can't figure out what tool to use to remove the screws/bolts on the bottom to get inside the iron. If I could get inside, I think that I could probably fix it. None of the tools I have will fit. Then, when I called to Shark to find out what they would do about it. They could sent it in for repair, but I would have to pay for the cost of the repair, plus shipping to and from Shark. Or, they said they could sell me an express replacement iron for 20, with free shipping. However, the only iron they had to send was a lower end model. I am very disappointed with Shark and will not only never buy another Shark product, but I will warn other against them as well.

• Wm
    WMfromWI Apr 21, 2014

Ditto on the cord problem. My first one lasted about 14 months. I looked at was available at the local stores and the Shark still seemed like the best of the bunch. "Fool me twice, shame on me." Another cord shorting problem after about 12 months. Will never purchase a Shark product of any type again. Don't waste your money.

• Mo
    monaganman40 May 25, 2014

I had 3 shark irons in 3 years. They all just stopped working within 1 year. I keep taking them back and demanding a replacement. I dont even want a replacement of this crap. Buyer Beware!!!

• Su
    Subette May 25, 2014

I bought my Shark Rotator after watching the
    infomercial on April 26 2014. They advertised that you had 60 days to try out the machine and if you did not like it, it was fully refundable including the delivery charge to send it back to them.. They would refund ALL monies if you were not satisfied. I took it one step further and went to their website. In bold letters it stated that if you were not satisfied, they would fully refund your money including the cost to ship it back to them. I called them today as this is not at all the vacuum that I thought it would be. Today's date is May 24 2014. They told me that they do not include the delivery fee, and I was mistaken, The website has now changed and there is no longer a contact number like before. This is clearly a case of bait and switch. I have asked for a supervisor to return my call as this is not what I signed up for.

• Cc
    CCarterlee Jun 04, 2014

I agree with all of the above complaints. I will NEVER purchase a product from them again. They are clueless about customer service which is demonstrated in their request for me to send them back the second defective iron at my own expense. I'll just throw it away and buy another iron.

• Mp
    Mpeer Jul 25, 2014

I ended up with 3 Shark Irons, It stopped heating after just a few months! The Professional Ha Ha

• Ju
    Julie S Thompson Aug 22, 2014

While I really did like the performance of the Shark G1505 series iron I purchased, I am VERY disappointed by it's 7 month life cycle! I spent $50 plus tax on the appliance in January and it completely stopped working in mid-August--no lights, no heat, no power at all. I got out my owners guide and warranty information only to find out that--while the product was under the one year warranty --I had to ship it to the company AT MY EXPENSE and if they deemed fit they would repair/replace but I was to include a check for $13 to cover return postage. Ridiculous! Needless to say, I tossed the Shark iron and replaced it with a Black and Decker. I would not consider buying a Shark product in the future.

• Ke
    KerrySB Feb 10, 2015

I too hate my Shark Professional Iron. Mine will not maintain a constant temperature, when you set a specific setting it will work for a bit but then will automatically increase the amount of heat and you end up either burning what you're ironing or having to decrease the setting and wait for 10 minutes or so while it cools down. I hate using it and will never buy another SHARK!

• Ve
    vee1 Feb 17, 2015

shark g1468 10 caught fire. lots of other issues b4 then. so called intelligent electronic controls was unreliable most of the time b4 fire. hard to maintain and/or regulate temp. However very smooth when working. but prone to fall over.

• Br
    Brian Matthey May 11, 2015

Two family who own Shark irons-both burned up execectedly-both fire hazards both unstable-judging from the complaints here seems to be a common problem for some time and yet no action by the company-this could best be related to a consumer "scam' being repeatably played on and one.Problem is most people will complain but take no action other than buy a new iron.Shark is counting on complacency.
    Relatives [censor]ed and went out and bought a new iron
    If enough people filed complaints there would be a consumer advisory issued maybe causing the compnay to take action.It would be interesting to see how many other people have been scammed but said nothing.Betchs there is a ton.

• Tj
    TJ Quilts Jul 11, 2015

I'm a quilter and this is the worst. Everything everyone else has said. Mine leaks, turns off constantly, have to unplug it to get it to come back on. Hate this iron.

• Wh
    whatkindofbsisthis Sep 03, 2015

I have the shark iron # G1468N almost new.as i was ironing today it kept losing power.then all of a sudden there was a loud pop and sparks started shooting from where the cord goes into the iron.it caught my ironing board cover on fire.Now i have a fire in my dinning area where i was ironing. Thank goodness my son was able to put the fire out.Now i am out my iron and ironing board cover..This is so dangerous. I want Shark to make this right.