Santanderpoor customer service

I had a car accident over four months ago. Geico sent me a check with my name and santanders on it. I cannot get santander to endorse the check and have the person I chose do the work. The man I was going to use was a good friend and was going to do all the work as long as I bought the parts. They want me to pay a shop because they dont trust the work will get done correctly??? I pay for the car every month but they say its there property untill its paid off? So I guess if its there property they should pay for the tires gas and brakes too right? I dont get it I pay my car and I pay my insurance but I cant have my money to fix it the way I choose??? What a scam I feel like leaving the check in the car and telling them to come pick up there car! I mean its not mine right? The last person I talked to told me it was against the law for them to endorse the check and let me do what I want with it? When a tree fell on my house my home owners insurance and bank who I pay for the house stated I could fix it any way I wanted as long as it got fixed. They told me after I got it fixed that the person did a better job and I got way more for my money then they could belive. Why can my home insurance and my bank take care of me but santander could care less? Also if my payment is one day late the phone never stops ringing why is it okay to take my money but not give me my money owed to me?