Salvation Army Thrift Storebroken dryer

J

We recently bought a dryer from our local salvation army. It was forty dollars which was a reasonable price for what it was. The cashier told me upon check out that if it didn't work they would be able to give us at least a store credit. Sure enough the heating element did not work. We returned the next business day to speak with a manager about a refund. He was called to the front three times and we waited over half an hour with a increasingly cranky 1.5 year old. Finally my husband went to the back of the store trying to find the manager. He was right there in the store. He crossed his arms and looked at him and said "what?" my husband caught off guard by his bluntness politely explained our problem. Jim the manager interrupted him and said "we have a no return policy". Now we have a 250 pound hunk of metal sitting in our house and have forty less dollars. Because one person (Or many) was dishonest the consumer was punished. I thought the salvation army was meant to help people like my family better afford reasonalbe accomidations, not to rip off the working poor. How christian is that? I'm pretty sure jesus didn't steal from the poor to pay the poor.

ann Jan 23, 2009

tell me about it i have the same problem, i got a wedding dress for a friend and it didnt fit her. i called thrift store she said i can give u store credit but no money. well what else would i need from there, now its sitting in my closet and wasted my $50 dollars. atleast they should understand pplz problem..

• Mi
    MIKITO9849 Dec 06, 2009

SAME HERE BUY MANY ITEMS WAY TO EXPENSIVE SITING AROUND BECAUSE THEY DONT WORCK YOU DONT GET CREDIT BACK AND EVERYTHING IS OVER PRICE
    BESIDES I LEARN THAT SOME OF THIS STORES CHECK PRICES ONLINE TO SELL
    OTHER PEOPLE'S DONATIONS THATS VERY UNFAIR AND ITS A BAD PRACTICE
    THE BAD THING ITS THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS
    AND THEY HELP BUYING THIS WAY TO EXPENSIVE THINGS THIS ITS TRUE IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT WRITE SOME OF THE ITEMS MODEL NUMBERS DOWN
    AND CHECK FOR YOUR SELFS THE PRICES FOR BROKENG ITEMS UNBILIBIBABLE
    THIS ITS SAD ITS NOT THE SAME EVERY BODY TAKES AVANTAGE OF OTHERS SPECIALY POOR PEOPLE LOOKING TO SAVE SOME MONEY.

• Ci
    Citizen312 Aug 20, 2018

Salvation Army at clybourn & Ashland in Chicago. Lincoln Park. Mgr refused to pack items into bag. Is it ever ok for the mgr/cashie to tell your last customer of the day when your wkly $50+ items is left on the counter after completing the transaction "it's after 10:00, we don't do that (pack your purchases in a bag) after 10:00 pm... you do it.

LaurenS32 Aug 20, 2018

It is my belief that the manager at the store located in Royal Oak Michigan is abusing alcohol as well as smoking Marijuana. Several employees at that location smoke in a daily basis. I don't think the leaders of this " Christan " based company would allow or promote such behaviour.

• Ez
    Ezra Y Aug 20, 2018

Store on: 7707 W Commercial Blvd, Sunrise, FL 33321

I want to this branch today and I couldn't believe how filthy the grounds are.
    There is trash everywhere; even a old tire is laying on the parking lot.

It makes you feel insecure, I won't be going there so soon.

Thank you in advance.

*Please send this email to whom it may concern.

• Am
    Ama5 Aug 20, 2018

Salvation army on 194 front street has the most outrageous prices on their beds. Prices are even cheaper at Macy's and they are New. Please have it checked. Over $750 for a used queen size bed is beyond absurd. Also so many of their big ticketed items are not priced and they just come up with a price off the top of their heads. Very unorganized.

• Jm
    Jmd1337 Aug 20, 2018

I purchased a good that was defective. I found out upon leaving the store and loading into my car. It was a folding rolling cart. It was in a package and i was unable to see that it did not open correctly before purchase.I went in to return rigjt after and was told no refunds or exchanges(even if defective), but they would take as donation.Crooks!

Lalove Sep 01, 2018

Huge complaint. Contact me ASAP [protected] my name is Lalove King. It's to much to type but I have a very big complaint that's too much to type. Referring to the caldwell, ID location. Terrible review!!...seriously I need to speak with an actual person to resolve this!!!

No one you know88 Sep 02, 2018

Only been here a week and there is no heat.it feels like we are sleeping outside. Extremely filthy. Room has stains on floor and bed mattress. They don't have pillows. Bathrooms are terrible.

• El
    Elbert53 Sep 02, 2018

The case manager kicked me out of the shelter because she said I left my last residence volunterraily. I had a eviction notice and had to leave town because of people trying to kill me.Elbert Rutherford I had to sleep on the streets like I did before I came in

Larisa T. Sep 05, 2018

Assistant manager in the Nostrand Avenue store in Brooklyn has been loud, aggressive, harassing people, disrespectful, attacking consumers, removes and hides new items from selling.

• Mi
    Missdenham Sep 05, 2018

I purchased a couch this morning. I barrowed a truck this afternoon drove 40 minutes to pick it up and was told it was too late. I asked for a refund and was told no. Now out $95.00.
    Melissa Denham

• Am
    Amber Marie16382405 Sep 18, 2018

When I approached the cash register, there was a dirty blonde haired worker named Amy . She was being very rude & disrespectful towards me for no reason . She gave me dirty looks & rolled her eyes when I asked questions . She wanted me to do HER JOB & take the clothes off of the hangers . But when I asked if it was her job she got snobby with me .

• Dg
    dghost Sep 19, 2018

I am disgusted that the Salvation Army would even consider having a conference at this expensive place, as a charity organization. Why in the world would you set it there, instead of some moderate costing conference setting!! I will never give to the Salvation Army again. I am appalled.

• Le
    LeLe9146 Oct 14, 2018

On 09/29/18, I made a purchase and apparently the items were not in my bag when I got home. On 10/01/18, I attempted to reach the Matthews store to request a hold on the items. Twelve calls to the direct store, corporate office and the operator line. No success. The phone rings and then terminates the call. ClerkID: Walker2, Ref #: 1098.

Thanks

• Al
    Alfred Lafon Oct 15, 2018

Well after trying a large number of e-mails i found it's
    become very clear that the Salvation Army will not respond
    in any way! I however got the unlicensed radio operator off
    GMRS band when we took mobile antennas to and around
    Camp Tomahawk. We were meet on a public road by a very
    upset camp manager who thinks he can stop cars on public
    roads?

• Fp
    Fpquantum Oct 27, 2018

Date: 6/5/17 1pm
    Store employees smoking in front of delivery door as customers are dropping off donations. State law requires people to smoke at leas 25ft from any entrance. Location:1601 W 23rd St
    Lawrence, KS 66046

• Hu
    Huhdude Nov 11, 2018

The black attendees, employees, and staff are showing for more concern for blacks. For whites and myself seem to have strickter guide lines and more action concenquences to have less of chance making bed time. The operations manager is this way towards me.

• Tr
    Trkdrvr71 Nov 11, 2018

I have a disability and unable to work, and I have provided proper documentation to my caseworker name Tony Thompson here at the Bowling Green, Kentucky Salvation Army Shelter. In a month's time since I have been here they have denied me the right to take a shower approximately 12 times.

• Be
    Bekahwhite2015 Nov 12, 2018

All pants I was trying on had all the price tags stapled onto the pants and it sliced up my side of my leg and sliced open my thumb! Asked for a bandaid and she didn't even ask if I was okay!

Chad Korte Nov 12, 2018

Reading the rivebender page and came across this. This is the prejudice people you employ. I am done shopping and donating to this company and putting this picture all over.

SalArmySucks Nov 13, 2018

I attempted to drop off 2 boxes for donation and was accosted by a Salvation Army Driver at 1:15 pm and the St. Charles, MO location. 'Don' (was on his shirt) yelled at me and instructed that if i drop off my donation, he and his asst will 'do something' about it. I will never donate to this shameful organization again. Good day.