Salvation Armysalvation army

I worked for the Salvation Army for 6 1/2 years as a Thrift Store Manager. One year and 5 months ago our Major didn't feel that the location of the store was in our best interest, rented a new building, much larger in the same town. Once we moved he set new goals for our daily sales. The Major did no new advertising to help with our business. I told him that his goals were unreasonable for the depressed area that we live in. After we moved 2 more thrift stores opened up in the same town. We never did reach the goal of $1000 daily. Over the past 4 months I received 2 written warnings for not making $1000 a day. I responded that it was unfair, I wasn't responsible for 1) the number of people who came in to the store OR 2) the amount of money they spent. Still he did no advertising, I did what free advertising I could on-line. But still we never hit the $1000 daily mark.

Two weeks ago I was fired for the reason that the store didn't meet it's goals, I have that in writing. I quote what was said to me.."It's nothing personal it's all about the numbers" I applied for Unemployment and was shocked to find that all four earning quarters were $0.00!! I called unemployment to find out the error, I was told nothing was EVER paid in for me as the SA is tax exempt and doesn't have to pay!

So much for the SALVATION ARMY DOING THE MOST GOOD! Since then I have been doing some research and have found the the SA is very anti-gay, much of their Christmas Bucket money goes the help anti -gay programs. The SA even tried to break New York anti- discrimination state law by not allowing gays into shelters and soup kitchens. They threatened to close shelters in NYC if the state would not let them around this law! The SA thinks it is above the law in many ways!

I am urging people to make their donations elsewhere and to support other thrift stores. Take a 2nd look at that bell ringer at Christmas time and know they are supporting the anti-gay movement! The Salvation doesn't do the most good!!!

• Ho
    hobbitfeet Aug 06, 2012

Sure they do help needy families and yes they do help people with vouchers. Yes they are a religious org. but if indeed they are Christian they can't pick a choose what kind of people they accept. I'm a better Christian as I accept all people as we are all God's children. My God loves all his children not just a select few. I'm sorry that you are not so accepting .
    Catholic Charities advertises BTW

But the Salvation Army is indeed heartless when it comes to their employees, there is no more to this story other than What I have told I'm being very honest here. If I was fired justifiably I would lick my wounds and be quiet about it. This was just very unfair what they did!!

• Ho
    hobbitfeet Aug 07, 2012

The store is not in an area where it can make $1000 a day it is an unreasonable goal. It is the entire store that can't reach it's goal not just me.That is what I am trying to point out. I am not making up lies...I have my exit paper in writing! It was all about the money and nothing more! Don't believe me I don't really care. I am just one small voice.

I never said I was Christian, I said I was a better Christian as I accept all people for who they are it is not my right to judge. I also said My God...my God may not be the same as yours.

• English Ian Aug 07, 2012

probably a good way of getting rid of a ### employee! well done Major. what is the real underlying issue hobbit?

• English Ian Aug 07, 2012

it seems clear that hobbit was relieved of duties because of anti gay beliefs...

• English Ian Aug 07, 2012

oops... wrote that wrong! never mind

• Al
    aliwithani84 Aug 07, 2012

"They are a religous org. They don'y have to accept or condone ###. I'm gonna make a HUGE donation to the Salvation Army right now, thanks." Well Ian if think that's the case with hobbitfeet.. that puts paul in the same category.

• English Ian Aug 07, 2012

ta slimey... boy how I have missed you! So wot's new jimbob?