Us Search Complaints & Reviews

Us SearchPaying for Monthly Subscription I never ordered

I went to USSearch.com to find a phone number, agreed to pay $1.95 but for some reason, I'm now enrolled in the monthly $19.95 subscription that I remember checking "no" on. I called their customer service number and he couldn't even find my account! They have no problem charging me, but they conveniently can't find me when I want to cancel. After yelling at the unhelpful guy, he told me I had to take it up with my credit card company. Why? They weren't the ones charging me, US Search was. This company is a scam.

• In
    Intelius_Customer_Support1 Apr 15, 2013

We apologize for any confusion arising from the use of our service and would like the opportunity to assist you.

Intelius offers a variety of services during the purchase process. The majority of our memberships are activated through either the acceptance of discounted pricing for individual reports, or through the acceptance of a full page offer advertised just prior to viewing the report. All of our offers describe the specifics of the service, including billing. Additionally, all of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

If you still need assistance with your account, please visit the contact us page on the Intelius website for a variety of options to contact Customer Care.

www.intelius.com/emailcontact.php

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

Us SearchUnauthorized Debit Card Charge

I was charged $19.95 and $19.98, in the same day. Forgot to mention, there is usually a phone number following INT* US Search and it is: [protected]. I have NEVER in my life been to this website, let alone ordered services. My bank is resolving the issue and I hope it doesn't take too long. Something seriously needs to be done. Taking money from people, that I'm sure in most cases don't have alot to begin with. Outrageous!!!

• Us
    USSearch_Customer_Support Jan 18, 2013

We apologize for any inconvenience and would like the opportunity to assist you.

US Search is an internet based company. We collect and compile public records and publicly available information. We offer services like background checks, people searches, and phone number look-ups. Additionally, US Search offers a variety of promotions and services during the checkout process on our website. All of our services are non-contractual so there is no obligation to continue using the service.

If you still need assistance, please visit the contact us page on the US Search website for a variety of options to contact Customer Care.

We value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

Us Searchbait & switch scam

A litle while ago I agreed to a $1.95 fee for an advertised basic search. I used my debit card. I then left their site, went to my online banking site, and found that they had debited three amounts: $19.95, $19.95, and $1.45. All unauthorized. The $1.95 fee I did authorize isn't even listed. I called my banking service, and they told me I was also now enrolled in a service requiring me to pay an additional $19.95 per month fee. And, according to my banker, there is nothing I can do, but beg them for the return of the overcharges, and to be released from their monthly enrollment program. What a scam.

Us SearchUnjustified transaction from Mastercard

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!

My Mastercard shows the expenses below. I am not aware that I did any buiseness with you during this time. Please specify the positions in case I am wrong. Please reimburse all this money to my account. In case there was an contract, please discontinue immediately and do not cash any money from my Mastercard account!

Yours sincerely
Claus Schnarrenberger

03.08.2010 04.08.2010 US SEARCH, [protected] USA USD 14, 00 1.30606 -10, 72
03.08.2010 04.08.2010 Auslandseinsatzentgelt -0, 16
03.09.2010 06.09.2010 US SEARCH, [protected] USA USD 14, 00 1.26953 -11, 03
03.09.2010 06.09.2010 Auslandseinsatzentgelt -0, 17

Us SearchRip-off

I ordered an advanced background check for $76.75 from US Search. A total rip-off...90% of the information I got in their report was on individuals totally unrelated to the individual I requested the search on.

Their pricing is way out of line compared to competitors. I had to send multiple emails requesting a full refund and they finally agreed to refund half of what I paid. I will be sending a complaint to the President of the company as their Customer Service is totally lame.

Don't waste a dime on this online search company!

Us SearchPrivacy Matters 123 Scam

I paid for a search on US Search to obtain a case number on an arrest. I was charged 19.95 and did not get the information I requested. The only information returned was for two vehicle violations for the same person. I emailed US Search and was told that I would have to pay more money to obtain the information I already paid for.

The next day, I noticed an email from Privacy Matters 123 stating that my credit card would be charged if I did not cancel my account. I did not know where this came from but after searching them on the internet I found out that its a scam from using US Search and People finders. Subsequently, I was able to find a link on the 123 email that allowed me to cancel the account.

I want people to be aware of this scam. I did not click anything on the US Search site to allow Privacy Matters 123 access to my credit card information. The affiliation that US Search/People Finders has with Privacy Matters is negligent and I don't recommend anyone user either site.

Mara S Sep 20, 2010

They did the same thing to me and I did not notice it for 9 months, shame on me.

Us Searchreverse fax number

I accidentally faxed sensitive information to the wrong fax number and tried very hard to find out who it belonged to, including faxing back to the same number requesting that they destroy the information and call me, but did not hear back. So I started searching online. Among many other companies I contacted online US Search - USsearch.com was the only one that said they found the number and for $4.95 (a discount of $10 over the "normal" $14.95 price) I could get all the information.

A couple of sites had said that finding reverse fax numbers was not possible any longer, so I called US Search to verify that they had found the number before I committed my credit card. The woman in sales I spoke to said they could not find fax numbers. I said I'm looking at their screen and it says "Search Successful!" next to the fax number I typed in. The woman called me a liar. I could not believe she could be this blatant. When I tried to tell her I was looking directly at their screen with this information plainly listed she transferred me to another extension. I called back and when it sounded like the same person (odd, but true) I asked for her name. Without another word she transferred me again! I got customer service, and instead of helping me this guy keeps asking me for my credit card! I kept saying I needed to ask him about the fax number and he said he needed my credit card. Naturally I hung up.

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM!! DON'T GET SUCKED IN. I SEE THERE ARE TONS OF OTHER COMPLAINTS ABOUT THEM, SO PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEIR SITE AND SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY.

Us SearchCramming My Bank Account

In June 2009, I completed a small transaction with US Search for $4.95.

A few months later, a new $14 charge showed up on my bank account for a "membership." I never asked for or authorized a membership. The $14 charge put my account into a negative balance, and my bank charged me a $34 penalty.

When I called US Search, they offered to issue me a credit almost before all the words were out of my mouth. I asked that if my bank did not clear the penalty charge, would they also credit me the $34. I was put on the phone with a supervisor who clearly said, "Yes."

When I called my bank, I was disappointed they refused to clear the charge, their attitude being, "It's your problem. US Search should pay the penalty, and you should contact the Better Business Bureau." I contacted US Search again -- only to be told its records showed two transactions: the first one in June and a membership in August. They refuse to refund the $34 penalty fee that they caused.

Like many in the United States, I am currently laid off and subsisting on a small unemployment check. So this is a major issue for me. If I was flush with money, I wouldn't hesitate hire an attorney and sue. Perhaps an attorney would like to take on US Search in a class action suit? I am just as frustrated with my bank for not backing me (or their entire customer base) by their lack of concern with US Search's fraud.

• Te
    texaslawyer Sep 04, 2009

the same thing happened to me. I order one search, never got any results and now they are cramming my bank account.
    Google their supposed license number 329-0017714 and you've see these scammers operate under all sorts of names, but never really identify themselves. They show a physical adress in Florida, so I encourage everyone to complain to the Florida Attorney General

• Ly
    Lydia0 Sep 15, 2009

You are not alone, File your complaint. I think if everybody did file a complaint against thiese scammer, maybe they will be remove from the internet.

• Pa
    patsmi Nov 22, 2009

Someone at USsearch used the debit card number I used to go on a spending spree 2 days after I used my debit card for a search that ended up being nothing but a lot of false information that caused a lot of grief.

Patty

Us SearchUnauthorized charges

I received a charge on my debit card from us search, i called in and disputed the charge with them, I never authorized use of service to begin with.

• Jq
    jquest Oct 12, 2010

I got charged $1.95 for an un-authorized credit card charge. The credit card company flagged them as a fraud company and stopped payment. I called US Search from the number listed on the credit card transaction. They did in fact answer and state that the money had been refunded. When asked about what the charge was for, they stated that I had paid for a search service which did not return the results I needed so the money was going to be refunded. I have never heard of US Search, nor did I ever give a credit card number to such any service even remotely near that. They are ripping people off and should burn for the time wasted in having to get a new credit card!

All the Info I have on this pathetic attempt of a company:

US SEARCH 888-999-4384 CA 0
    UNITED STATES
    Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase

• Ge
    geoman7447 Jan 18, 2013

I was charged $19.95 per month for two years after intending to pay for a one-time search. When I called the 8889994384 number to complain, they cheerfully closed my account but I'm out nearly $500 for a service that I was not aware I had agreed to.

Us Search — Scam charges!

I asked for specific info on e mail address. Agreed to pay 'special' price of $1.95. Info shown wa...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices