New World Video Direct Complaints & Reviews

New World Video Direct5 year extended warranty

Daughter & son-in-law ordered a refurbished TV from NWVDIRECT.COM; it was given to me as a birthday gift. Inside packaging was flyer to purchase a 5 year extended warranty. I used my VISA credit card over the phone and purchased the 5 year extended warranty. New World Video sent me an acknowledgement of my payment of $280 to them for the 5 year extended warranty. The TV worked fine until a month ago when I phoned NWVdirect.com and told them I had an extended warranty; they advised me that they do not sell extended warranties and to google Repair Tech for their phone number. Repair Tech is a scam and no longer in business. My payment was sent to NWVdirect not to Repair Tech. I believe NWV direct should return my $280.

5 year extended warranty
5 year extended warranty

New World Video DirectOnline Sales Scam

My order with this online company revealed at least part (or all) of their "business" involves sales scams, in which the web site offers "teaser" good pricing on original equipment supplier and model number products; HOWEVER, they have NO INTENTION of ever shipping you the quality OEM part/product. Once you place the order, the scam starts. They use your contact information to call you up and tell you "Oh, that part/product is 'back-ordered' 'so it will take SEVERAL MONTHS to ship it to you." (They are LYING) Then comes the scam pitch: "However, the original supplier of this part has just changed to a new manufacturer called <insert name of crappy 3rd world supplier of CHEAP KNOCK-OFF parts/products> and we are offering you the 'newer' part/product from that company to you for the SAME PRICE." (what a RIP-OFF!)
    "So would you accept the part made by that better supplier?"
    CONCLUSION: this company milks your contact information out of you by offering TEASER pricing on products/parts you want but they will NEVER sell to you. They they try to sell you CRAP knock-off parts of much lower quality for a high price.
    RECOMMENDATION: do what I did, tell these clowns you are not interested in their high-cost knock-off RIP-OFF low quality products/parts, then report your credit card as stolen so your card gets re-issued with a new number (different than the card New World Video Direct has). I'm not suggesting New World Video Direct has stolen your credit card or will use your credit card fraudulently. I'm only suggesting you play it safe by closing out the credit card number you gave to New World Video Direct.

New World Video DirectBait and Switch

On October 5, 2010 I purchased a Canon CA-920 power cord for my video camera from this company for $89.00. With shipping and handling the total came to $100.50. Later that day I received a phone call from someone at New World Video Direct stating that this product had been recalled and was no longer available for purchase (although it remains on your website even today). This person convinced me to accept a different but comparable item which he stated "costs more", but will be given to me at the same price as the item I originally ordered. When I received the substituted item, it appeared to be a very cheaply made battery charger from China. When I googled this item, I found many other companies carry it for quite a bit less with one company charging only $14.00 for this very same item. The next day I called New World Video Direct to let them know I wished to return this item for a full refund as it was not what I ordered and had been sent an inferior product in exchange. I was given a return merchandise number and I sent it back to them. When I phoned NWD earlier today, they said they had returned $75.65 of my money via Paypal on October 26, 2010 for this item. I was not able to locate this transaction and called Paypal with the transaction number given to me by NWV and was told this is not a valid transaction number.
      From what other NWVD customers are saying this sounds like it's their standard business practice to operate in this manner. Hope this helps some other sucker avoid the same mistake that I made in assuming they were legit.

• Sh
          SHConstant Jan 13, 2012

I had the same Bait and Switch problem. Same thing. Placed the order for an Olympus TCON-17 1.7x Tele-Converter Lens for C-Series & SP-500 Digital Cameras for $85.00. Received a phone call same day saying that this lense was old, was not in stock and had been replaced by a newer model. For $125.00 he could replace it with the new model that was 2.2x and therefore even better. I said okay. I was sent a receipt via email showing: Optics High Definition Ultra Compact 2.2x Telephoto Lens (Black) MFG# HD-T58B. I didn't notice that there was no manufacturer listed in the definition. Last night UPS delivered a "Hila Optics" 2.2x telecoverter lense. Not what I ordered. Not what I agreed to on the phone. Not at all what I was expecting. Googled "Hila Optics" and the first listings that came up were numerous complait postings about New World Video Direct. Bait and Switch is clearly their business model. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the fight to send it back and stop payment with my credit card company. My husband says that he thinks the lens might be worth the price--just not what I was expecting and to look for reviews on the lens (not the bait and switch) to see if I can find any. I will check it out this morning. Either way, the experience leaves me feeling cheated.

• Ti
          Ticked Off 4 Reel Dec 18, 2010

I too have had a very similar experience.
          I ordered a Panasonic teleconversion lens for my Panasonic Lumix FZ28 (DMW-LT55 ), an adapter ring, and a polarizing filter a little over 2 weeks ago.
          I never received an email or phone call from them, and today I finally received my order.
          I was so excited... UNTIL I realized that it was NOT EXACTLY WHAT I ORDERED!!! Instead of sending me my Panasonic LT55, they took it upon themselves to send me a Hila Optics 2.2x Professional Telephoto Lens High Definition.
          I paid $139.00 for my Panasonic LT55. When I searched the web to get more information about this lens, the only place that I could find that was selling it was New World Video Direct. Now I'm really suspicious and getting more upset. Now oddly, the cost for this Hila Telephoto lens is listed at $399.00????????????????????? Oh but wait, nobody else is selling it anywhere, so did they just put this very expensive price tag on this item in their attempt to make me feel like I got a much better product so that I should not complain or return the item??????? I just cannot get over the fact that they took it upon themselves to send me whatever it was that they felt like. To say that I am upset is an understatement!