Real Property ManagementRental

A

I have been waiting quite some time to write this review for real property management and now that I am finally no longer living in a property managed by them, I can do so without fear of repercussion on management’s behalf. I suspect that is why there are not scads more of these exact type of reviews. This will be long, but if you are considering renting one of their properties or using them to manage your property, it is well worth the read, and yes you will hear the name margaret gledhill. Burn it in your brain to never do business with her. I honestly do not understand how this woman has a job.
Once this company has you signed off on your lease (Or contract) that is where there service ends. We rented a three bedroom one and a half bath home with a dishwasher and nice big yard with a fence, great for our school aged children and the house is situated on a busy road. Our lease began in march and we were told that the fence would be fixed (As it was in disrepair) and there was a cracked window in the dining room that we were told would be replaced, as would all of them eventually as they are older windows that bring in a lot of cold air in the winter. The owner wanted to get a few months of rent in escrow. First lesson learned... Get everything in writing. None of these things happened.
In june, just three months after we’d moved in, we notice during a rainstorm one night that water was leaking out of the electrical box in the basement. We immediately contacted the 24 hour maintenance number and a plumber was sent out. Now this was a sunday evening. The plumber came out, took one look and basically shrugged his shoulders and said it is probably from a crack in the foundation and he would let the property manager know. Excuse me what? Thank god my husband and I have brains, because we decided that was an unacceptable answer. Since margaret didn’t care to address the issue beyond this one plumber she sent out, we contacted our friendly local fire department and asked them to please come take a look because we were concerned this was a fire hazard. Guess what? Turned out it was a major fire hazard. In fact, the town building inspector came out at ten o'clock at night and told us the house was uninhabitable, we needed to leave immediately and he put a nice big neon orange sign on the front and back doors. So we woke up our children, packed our things up and found a local hotel. The electricity had to be cut from the house due to the fire hazard so we lost a refrigerator full of perishable foods. It took my husband and I days of constantly calling margaret to find out what was going on and when we could get back into the house. Meanwhile, we are racking up hotel costs and other incurred expenses from being displaced (Meals out, laundromat facilities, etc). Finally she got back to us on tuesday that she had a few electricians out to give estimates. You might think it would be her job to meet said contractors to get estimates. You’d be wrong. My husband was forced to take time off from work in order to get this done. If we waited on her, we’d be waiting for hell to freeze over. Finally, she selected someone (Lowest bid no doubt) and the job was completed by friday, however, the building inspector had to come and ensure everything was properly fixed and safe and the power supply needed to be restored. We got back in the house finally on sunday. We had a verbal agreement (Again, get everything this woman says in writing!) that we would forgo our june rent because with our incurred costs of being displaced for a week were equivalent to our monthly rent which was $1400. We saved all of our receipts, but she never asked and so we just let it go, figured we were good. A few weeks later, we get a late notice from real property mgmt. Oh no no. My husband called immediately and the representative he spoke to stated that was in error and to ignore the late notice. It was automatically generated. Ok, still thinking we are good. It is worth mentioning that not once during this ordeal did margaret utter an apology for this horrible inconvenience. The property owner dropped off all new smoke detectors for the house which my husband installed and seemed to wonder why he was paying this agency at all and profusely apologized for everything that had happened. His house could have gone up in flames, do you think margaret would have cared?
August rolls around. Our dishwasher stops working. We call margaret again. She sends a plumber who says the unit needs to be replaced. Margaret tells us a dishwasher is not an essential appliance and the owner has opted not to replace until october. October. So we were not happy. We moved out of that place at the end of february and guess what never got replaced... For those of you playing along, if you said dishwasher... Ding ding ding! For seven months of the twelve month lease, we did not have a working dishwasher. Furthermore, in december, the toilet in the half bathroom on the first floor stopped working. It’s a very simple repair, the chain only needed to be replaced. Do you want to know if that ever happened while we were living there? Nope! Guess what else? The cracked window... Still cracked... The broken fence... Still broken.
Although we were not planning to renew our lease due to all of these issues, we had hoped to go month to month in order to avoid moving in the middle of winter again and didn’t want to uproot our children in the middle of the school year. This is a good time to mention that when we first looked at the house and asked if the owner planned to sell or move back in anytime soon, she said “oh no, I wouldn’t even show it to you if I thought that. ” now, of course she doesn’t have a crystal ball (Although I do suspect she may have a broomstick) , but this human being (Term used loosely here) sent us a thirty day notice that our lease would not be renewed and the owner intends to move back in. I don’t know if this is true, or she just got good and sick of our complaints, but either way, it is a really crappy thing to do to a family. I get that all that is legally required is thirty day notice, but an actual human being with a heart wouldn’t do this to people. On top of this thirty day notice to find a new place in the middle of the school year and the winter, this rude and unprofessional person had the audacity to report us delinquent in our rent because why? We didn’t pay our june rent. So the entire time we thought june rent was squared away, she was just tacking on our (What we thought current) rent to back rent from june, leaving us delinquent pretty much the whole time. Then, when we found a lovely place to live that works out great for our family (And actually maintains the property) , we pass a credit and income check, but margaret had the audacity to report us delinquent, literally attempting to block us from moving out of the house. She said we never paid june rent and when the leasing agent read our account of what happened, she stated that “well they were only out of the house for a week. ” I honestly think she hoped we’d end up homeless.
She could not really care less about her tenants and her flat affect and dispassionate response to any request for her to do her job is just deplorable. Thank the lord in heaven that when the leasing agent made attempts to get in writing the numbers from margaret (Which would require her lifting a finger) , she couldn’t be bothered and we have other landlord references. I literally think that this woman is the most rude, inconsiderate and downright cold hearted and lazy person i’ve ever had the displeasure of interacting with.
She is “holding” our security deposit of $3400 due to the house not being “clean” enough. She literally sent a picture of an empty water bottle on a window sill. Last I checked, a house cleaner is a hell of lot cheaper than $3400. Such is margaret and real property management.
I know how it works. Renting that house from margaret gledhill and real property management was seriously one of the biggest mistakes and major hassles i’ve ever dealt with. I should have known when we were signing our lease and she was actively dodging calls from tenants, muttering under her breath about them.
Seriously, if you are thinking of doing business with real property management, think long and hard, pray on it, and go back and read the reviews on google and on yelp. I wish I had before we rented with them. It’s all there in black and white. You can do better. At least, you couldn’t do any worse than working with this company, especially margaret gledhill.