Provident Fundingfraudulent late fee charges

Deliberately delay of crediting clients' account then claim late receipt of mortgage payments for assessing late fees.

• Je
    jenny Mar 23, 2009

I would love to start a class action suit if anyone else is willing. This bank is notorious for delaying payments and has costed me multiple late fees. They are the ONLY bank I have ever had a problem with posting payments on time. That sounds just a little fishy to me???

Anna Apr 01, 2009

Hi, I would be interested in a class action lawsuit as well. I have tried several times to remove a late fee but been practically laughed at while speaking to their customer service team.

• Mi
    Mike Apr 16, 2009

Hi, I am having the same problem with this company. Sent payment ten days prior to due date. On the due date were to ld our payment had not been recieved and charged us $15.00 to process over phone. Our check, the one they claimed they never recieved, was then processed the very next day. It looks like the same situation is about to happen again this month. It's getting close to the due date and our check has not been processed yet. Class action lawsuit sounds good to us.

• Di
    DisgustedinFairfield Jun 27, 2009

Reading these comments is making me sick! This lender has been delaying funding my loan for over a week. We get a call about needing to sign "corrected" forms, and when we see the forms, they have switched information so that the forms are now wrong. When the escrow officer calls about the forms, no one can answer any questions. A day after submitting the "corrected" form, we get another phone call asking for more information, which turns out to only be necessary because they have made yet another mistake on the forms.

We are supposed to close in three days. I don't think they will be able to get it done. And even if they do, it looks like I'm in for a miserable experience.

• Mj
    mjoyce Aug 05, 2009

Thank you for theses comments and complaints. We were told they would give us a loan as our credit scores have dropped very low due to a major illness and bankruptcy. However since we have read this we surely donot need any more stress and problems. the company that suggested Provident Funding was AMAC Funding Corp.

• Br
    brn2bplt Jan 12, 2010

Posting payment late deliberately by provident funding seems like a systematic phenomenon. I sent my payment with coupon on Jan 5th and as of today (12/12) they still haven't received the payment. Seems like a legal action is the only option to rein them in.

• Rk
    rktx Mar 12, 2011

My insurance company sent them proof of our mortgage insurance that they say they never received. They are trying to charge us extra for a policy that they bought. I called to clear this up over the phone and my insurance agent sent them a copy of the policy with a note informing them that our insurance has never lapsed. They sent back our payment because we have to keep paying for the policy they bought until it is cancelled. They have proof of our mortgage insurance but still want us to keep paying for their policy. And they are going to charge us a late fee for the payment they sent back. This has been happening for years. Anyone else having this problem? I would definitely bring a class action suit. The manager was a real jackass on the phone.

• Ti
    Timpilot Feb 25, 2012

Sent our payment on the 3rd. Provident said they did not receive it so we stopped payment and sent another check. Then, on the 21st, they say they received BOTH checks and charged a $54.77 late fee! I called and talked very calmly and nice but Provident customer service rep was rude, talked over me repeatedly, and refused to reverse the late fee and refused to let me speak to his supervisor. I totally agree with other comments that Provident does this systematically and on purpose. Or, they are incompetent and lose people's payments within their system. This company needs to be investigated by the California State Attorney General AND a class action lawsuit needs to be started. Provident Funding is a terrible company and deserves to be out of business.

• Mi
    Midtowne1 May 17, 2012

Provident Funding put forced place hazard insurance on my property because my insurance was cancelled for non payment. Provident pays my insurance through escrow. Our insurance company let us no that the policy would be cancelled because PF didn't pay. We called PF who paid that day but it went out too late and the check was returned. When I received a letter stating my monthly mortgage payments would be going up as a result of the forced placed insurance (which was almost 1000% the cost of regular insurance) I called to rectify the situation-to no avail. PF accused the insurance company of failing to bill them, that they had never received the bill. I called the insurance company who sent me proof of mail that the invoices had been sent on 3 different occasions. When I finally got a supervisor at PF he blamed the postal service. This company refuses to take any blame when it comes to clerical errors and leaves the consumer holding the bag. I can't help but wonder if this is a scheme to make you pay for the forced place insurance.

By the way they tried to pull the same stunt just last week with my flood insurance. Because I had been privileged to go through this incompetence/fraud the last time I was able to nip it in the bud.

I can't afford a lawyer on my own but I would love for PF to be answerable to the many compaints I've seen lodged against them here on the internet.

antique May 27, 2012

I am contacting Fox 4 news in Dallas to see if they will do something about this company. I was refused for a loan(refi) after 3 months of condition after condition after condition. My credit score is closed to 800 and no debt. Loan amount about 280, 000 with annual income about 1/2 of the loan amount. My cousin have the same situation like you. They received payments and said they got them late. Would not take 25 days to get to them. Just want to charge you a late fee.

• Nu
    nunyabiznesss May 31, 2014

They are the worst they are not only vindictive towards customers but also the brokers who try to sell their loans.
    They blackball brokers for months at a time at a whim. THE WORST ... PROVIDENT FUNDING IS POWER HUNGRY

Janki Patel Jan 18, 2016

Hello, I am also interested

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices