Complaints & Reviews

Watch out!! I worked there

Not fully knowing how these people operate I started working there around December, soon I learned how
it works...The only reason Im revealing these practices is for everyone to watch out and be careful when doing business with them.

First, customer service is only trained to sell you more equiptment and to upgrade.
The customer service managers constantly push the customer service reps to force
customer to buy more sensors and more equiptment .
For example they will cold call you, and tell you that you need to upgrade
your keypad, to a new digital one that costs about $300.00, why? because the
rep makes 20%, the manager another 20% and the worst part is that the very same
equitpment that they try to sell you for $309.00 actually costs $54.00 out there in the store.

Second, when you sign up, they are not told about the 3 year contrac and how it AUTOMATICALLY
renews, WITH your permission OR WITHOUT, like the managers say it dont make a difference
"We will make them pay, until we get all out money""...same words my manager told me when
a distressed unemployed customer called trying to cancel.

Third, when customers call, I always picked up the call and helped them, however other reps, would
simply drop the call just because they "didnt feel" like talking to the customer at that moment.

Fourth, the reason I no longer work there is because I told a customer he could
return the equiptment he had purchased, and I was being monitored.
I was called to a meeting where I was told I was not supposed to let
customers return anything, my manager then said "Remember, we are
bonusing out of those sales "...The customer had already qualified for
upgraded equiptment, but he was mislead in order to force him to buy
more equiptment.

Last, people if I write this is because I saw it first hand, there are good customer service reps, however
it's out of our hands and we are forced by our manages Steven, Susan and Bradley to
SELL, SELL, SELL, and tough luck for the "poor" sucker who signed up ...

Please send you CXL letter before they suck you in for 3 more years...

• Co
    coming to america Jul 31, 2009

how can u cancel after a yr do you pay the full amount owed?

Thats Me Oct 28, 2009

My system doesn't work EVER! It fails all of the time, and when they state they will have someone call to fix the "under warranty" system, they never do. They couldn't even get their payment system worked out!! They wouldn't take credit cards because of some kind of transition, then they wanted an automatic draft ... I told them no way ...not unless they fixed everything ... Now I just tell them no way! They had their chance!

I had someone tell me I could get out of the contract and now they are saying that I can't; the flip back and forth; and have no clue what is going on!

So I faxed and emailed them the same information that I am not paying for DEFECTIVE equipment, and a system that is not being monitored!

Everyone needs to file a complaint here if they contacted these people online!

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).

ps. I have already sent in TWO cancellations!! And they are still ignoring them. It is going to take more than that to stop these thieves!

Terrible experience

On December 23, 2017 we lost our home in a fire. Prior to the fire we had a 3-year house alarm contract with Protect America, Inc. which would have expired the earlier part of 2017. Following the fire, I called all the pertaining home suppliers (water, electricity, gas etc) including Protect America advising them of our situation. They all required copies of the fire report. Protect America indicated that they need a copy of the fire report in order to suspend their services. A copy of the fire report was faxed to them.

I followed up with a phone call to Protect America requesting that all future billing be suspended until the house was rebuilt. Further the fire destroyed all the necessary devices that accommodated the alarm system. I also mentioned that since the company would not be able to provide alarm services during reconstruction, we will be willing to pick up where we left off as soon as we reoccupied the home, and possible re-enlist their services.

Once we returned home in January 2017, I informed Protect America we were ready to continue our contract. I was told that the company had referred the account to a collection agency. Several attempts to discuss the matter with managers failed.

Subsequently, I received a call from a collection agency, 'Anderson, Crenshaw & Associates' requesting settlement of the account. After many inappropriate behaviors from the collection agency representatives, we agreed on a settlement of $250.00. We paid the funds and requested written confirmation which was never sent to us. Our phone calls were futile.

Almost a year later, on October 2017 we received a letter from Protect America demanding that we signed a contract for the company to provide alarm services for 3 years @ $34/monthly or $1258.20 plus $309 for equipment. Should we not comply, we would be reported to the credit bureau.

Such tactics we consider fraudulent and an attempt to cheat consumers out of their hard earn money.

• Da
    Darrell Butlett Sep 12, 2007

I have sent the company many letters requesting that my service be disconnected. They told me because of the automatic renewal I couldn't cancel. The system has not worked in months. I call and calls are not returned. I was told in July by Katie that my contract would be canceled if I sent in a letter I did. The contract is still in force they say that they had to receive that letter on the same day. Contracts written with automatic renewal are not fair. Can't something be done about these kind of consumer ripoffs. If a someone is suing this company over they business practices let me know.

• Jm
    J McGaha Jun 01, 2008

Ordered their service in Apr 08 the sales rep told me is was a basic "Plug and Play" with broadband monitoring. When the sensors arrived some of the equipment was missing so numerous phone calls later I finally received what had been ordered. After installing the system I called back to the service dept for some help in programming a couple of the sensors, the tech had me open and close a couple of the windows, I asked him point blank if he was receiving the alarms, he assured me he was.

In May I called the monitoring station to see if they where getting a signal from my system, and as you can guess they were not. I called Protect America numerous times for HOURS to set up a PLUG and PLAY system which still does not work. After a while the tech tells me that I can go to their website and download a trouble shooting guide which tells me to contact them if the monitoring center does not get a signal.

The bottom line here is the system does not work. We are paying $40.00+ a month and not getting a service. Can't cancel because of the contract.

I will tell anyone that asks not to deal with this DISHONEST and UNETHICAL company.

JOSEPH Dec 15, 2008

I contacted ProtectAmerica because i wanted to have a home security system (pre-installed) activated in our home we just moved in. They called me on December 1, 2017 and the sales person aggresively pursuaded me to purchase the service from them, which i did. I thought they would have my system up and running in no time. After 3 days of not hearing anything from them, i received a call from them asking me what model was my existing system. So when i got home to check, i relayed the info to them.

The following day, she asked what specific model number, and again i relayed the information that night. The following day she asked me if i knew the master code, and to try the default. By this time i was getting irritated because she could have saved me the time by asking all the details she needed on the first day. After several days, they called again, and Kristen said that she would send me a converter panel that she was 'not sure' would be used by the technician when he gets there, but she wanted to charge me shipping for the panel regardless. I refused to pay for something that i would not use, and after talking with the supervisor, said i wont be charged for the shipping.

You can imagine my surprise when i was charged for it. Kristen did not want to schedule the technician without the panel arriving at my home, so she advised that i wait for the panel first, and then call back to schedule for the installation. On december 9, i received the panel, and when i called up Protectamerica (i wait about 15-20 minutes to talk to someone), they told me that the technician would come to install the system on December 22. After all this wait, my system would be installed 3 weeks after i purchased the service? I was not comfortable living for 3 weeks with no security, so i told them i would cancel the service. Kristen noted the cancellation on my account, and said that Terika from cancellation would call me for the details.

I called another security company and they had my system running in 1 day. Terika never called, and i attempted several time to get a hold of her, she was either out of the office or talking to someone else, but never returned my call. I am just trying to cancel my account, and i have to go thru so much trouble. I called twice on December 12 and finally got a hold of Terika, and now she informs me my account was not cancelled, i need to send in the converter panel for them to cancel the account. In the mean time i was charged for the first and last month, and SHIPPING charges. Plus there is a $79 restocking fee, which was stipulated in the agreement that i never received.

The staff are rude, i was on the phone for 60 minutes and was passed to 5 different people. The supervisors werent much help either, they were apathetic to your sentiments. One supervisor (Reginald Thomas) said he couldn't do anything, and that i should have read the agreement that they never sent me. I was hung up twice, once when i asked a customer rep that i wanted to speak to his supervisor. This company is bad, just look at the number of complaints with BBB, 1029 in the past 36 weeks. The service is horrible, the staff are downright rude, and nobody wants to help you with you concerns. These guys have no regard for CUSTOMER SATISFACTION, and will rip you off with swindling business ethics

Jack Jan 15, 2009

I have returened my security system to Protect america 1 year ago and the are still charging my account even though I do not use there service! I have tried several times to get answers but each time the rep. is less informed about procedures then the last one I spoken to.

Consumer be carefull there not a good company to do business with!They will keep ur money, equipment and will not be in any way accomodating to any and all phonecalls!

I even tried to get to any customer service supervisor and I came to the conclusion they dont exist! Rip off!!

• Ke
    Kevin Feb 18, 2009

First the sales guy lied to me saying I absolutely had to buy the system the same day I called in or I couldn't get free sensors. I was forced to buy it before I had my Vonage phone system equipment. So by the time I got my VOnage system I was past my grace period to cancel the service. I learned later that I had to buy extra equipment for $300 because the alarm system doesn't work on Vonage, unlike what the sales guy told me. I was disgusted with their lies and service but they refused to let me cancel the service. So I just stop paying them since it didn't work anyway. A few months later some lawyer who buys their collections send me a letter wanted $1100. They actually want me to pay for 3 years of service that I never had and never worked. What a scam. I'm never paying these D**cks.

• Co
    CommonSense Feb 18, 2009

"I was forced to buy it before I had my Vonage phone system equipment."You were? Unless there was a gun to your head, you were NOT forced.

"they refused to let me cancel the service." Did you read your contract? I suspect not.

"So I just stop paying them". Oh that's a bright idea... that always works!

"A few months later some lawyer who buys their collections send me a letter wanted $1100" Guess that wasn't a good idea after all.

"They actually want me to pay for 3 years of service that I never had and never worked." Again, that pesky contract thing again.

Man you're really NOT ready for prime time.

A box of junk

I purchased this alarm system in January 2008. The salesman told me I would get all doors and windows alarmed plus a fire alarm. What I got was 3 door alarms and nothing else. Not only was I lied to, but the system did not work properly. It would beep all the time for no reason. I called PA but was told I would be charged if I wanted someone to come out and repair it. Meanwhile, they were taking $35 every month from my checking account via my debit card. For five months I tried to resolve this issue even included the bbb. Nothing. By the way, they have an unsatisfactory rating with bbb.

My only choice was to cancel the debit card and get a new one. Now they call 3-4 times a week for their payment. I spoke to them one time to no avail. Now I don't answer their calls. Let them take me to court and I will produce the faulty equipment they sent me. A box of junk.

• Te
    texasconsumer1968 Jan 07, 2011

I also purchased a box of junk back in August of 2009 from Protect Ameica. It never worked and they continued to charge me until I canceled debit card. Now they keep harrassing me for payment, but I am not paying for something that has never worked! They finally agreed to send me new equipment. We received new equipment but that was junk as well.

Save yourself a headache!

Protect America, Inc.
5100 N. IH-35, Suite B
Round Rock, TX 78681

I had a recent episode with a company called Protect America, an alarm monitoring service with whom I have been a loyal customer for over 4 years. I purchased the service in 2003, after my home was burglarized.

Unfortunately, the industry in which I am employed has been slow for the past few months. I decided it was time to start cutting back on my monthly bills to help support my family. I cancelled my home phone, cut back my internet service to basic service, cancelled my satellite TV, and cancelled my alarm monitoring service.

All the companies I contacted were fairly easy to deal with, except one: Protect America. These corporate criminals use legal binding contracts to trap customers into keeping their service. After using their service for over 4 years, I had a legitimate reason for cancelling. I simply can't afford it.

The customer service representative offered to give me a lower rate of $29.95 a month. Well, this was still significantly higher than the $17.95 a month offered by The Alarm Store, so I kindly declined the offer, and asked that she simply cancel the service. She then referred me to section 2 of the agreement, which I signed over 4 years ago. The agreement clearly states:

The initial terms of this Agreement shall be 2 years, starting on the first day of the month that Company or its Authorized Dealer installs and connects the Equipment. This Agreement will automatically continue for successive two-year renewal terms unless the Customer or Company gives written notice of cancellation to the other at least 60 days prior to the end of any initial or renewal term hereof.

There it is in black and white. I'm stuck paying $45.00 a month for service I don't even want for the next 18 months. That's $810 I could be using to buy groceries for my family. Well, being the kind-hearted people they are, they offered to cancel the account after I pay a fee of $253. That's $253 I could be using to buy groceries for my family.

Sadly, I signed the stupid agreement without knowing that 4 years down the line I would need that extra money to feed my family. So, I agreed to pay the $253 and walk away from the contract. Let this be a lesson to all the other consumers in the world looking to secure their homes. Signing a contract with Protect America is no different from allowing a criminal to walk into your house and steal cash from your home. Save yourself some money and headaches by signing up with a reputable monitoring service.

• Cr
    cr Jul 17, 2008

What did you ever do to convince them to let you pay a cancellation fee? These buggers are the rudest, crudest people I have ever met.

• Dr
    D. Richards Sep 17, 2008

I am going through the anguish torment of getting rid of Protect America. I finished a 3 year contract with them, called them to cancel in advance, was told I had to send a cancelation letter, did so and then walla, I found I had been renewed for another year. Why? Well, they tell me I missed the dead line, It is and automatic if your letter isn't on time. What time? I didn't sign up for another year, Pay for what equipment I am not using No Way!!! I contacted better buisiness bureau and sure enough, Protect America calls me, not the better business. They called me four times in one morning saying if I payed $59.20 they would send me a form to cancel my account. Sounds like I am paying for the form because I sure am not using their system. The answer is still no to paying anymore to them. I fullfilled my contract now they need to fullfill their part, stop harassing me for more money.

• Mi
    Michael Steffens Nov 24, 2008

They are unscrupulous ###. I was fortunate enough to be put off by their strong-arm sales tactics before they even came out to look at the place, but they ignore every instruction to stop calling me and my girlfriend. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR NUMBER. DO NOT ORDER SERVICE FROM THEM. I have complained to their "customer service", their CEO, the Better Business Bureau and the Indiana Attorney General.

Joyson Jul 08, 2009

I had the same problem. Ieven called them before ending my three year contract. They said, you have to fullfill the contract. I waited for that and february 2008 was the end date. So i called tehm to cancell. Then they said, now yours renewed for another year! You should have cancelled it 45 days prior to ending the contact! Now I became serious about it. I send them e-mail asking to cancell it right away! they did not cancel it ( iwas paying through my credit card and they kept on charging it!). But I called them many times and as you said, they kept on saying hte same thing. So, I called an attorney and asked for advise. He said, just send a certified letter to protoect america to cancell and send a copy to him. He said, if he has to go to the court, then I will have to pay him. Otherwise no need to pay!
    Well, I send it and here they calls me ASAP! I said, I need refund from the day i have completed 3 years. They argued and finally ( 29.99) i agreed and they cancelled.

just imagine, they 've got my 3 years worth money (>$1000)! Still they are GREEDY!!!

Don't ever do busines with those guys.

Will not release me from contract

Beware of this company. Their sales persons mislead and give the wrong information. The customer service is inflexible and is quick to site reasons why you cannot stop a contract, despite the good faith actions of its consumers.

After paying $29.95 for 3 years I attempted to cancel the contract. They continued to take money from my bank account. I went to the bank and stopped that. Then I was told by customer service that my letter was not received on time, so I had to pay another year. I disagreed with them and now they have turned me over to a collection agency, which is a first for me! This a predatory business and I would never, never recommend them.

• Ro
    Robin Tucker Feb 21, 2008

Exact same thing happened to me. I fulfilled my contract and then cancelled my service. I don't even live at the house anymore. I now have a collection agency calling me saying I owe them over 800 dollars--as they renewed my contract anyway! Also, while they guarantee equipment they failed to replace and my downstairs doors remained unarmed, I begged and begged for the letter to the insurance company to get my discount...never got it. If equipment fails they will simply keep telling you to "replace a battery". We had experienced a home invasion and were in horrendous shock...the sales agent "hurried" us through as we were a "special case"..he said he didn't want us being unsafe..etc. All documents were quickly faxed...he assured me the contract was exactly as we agreed upon. I honestly believed he cared that we had been through so much and was straight up. This company got more than what I contracted for... I paid every dime, every month. If a company performs good company service they don't have to be clandestine about renewals. If they are doing the job people will happily renew their service. I have contacted the BBB and will go through the State Attorney General's Office they are having people sign contracts under extreme duress--I feel like I have been assaulted twice...

• La
    lance leach Jun 20, 2008

same thing happened to me i now have a collection company threatning me to sue me for 800 dollars the alarm always went off without notice and police were always at my door. theyrefused to take the alarm back and never cancelled my service. I had to get the bank to stop it from being deducted now they call me daily and threaten me

These fools are crazy! Stay away!

I have had my fair share of bad experiences, but Protect America employees take the cake. These people are CRAZY! I have been turned off each time I am contacted by one of them that I have never set up service. I called once to inquiry about the service and have been getting stalked by the company ever since. The sales reps are EXTREMELY arrogant and rude. I have never heard a full staff of employees talk so negatively about the competition or just other companies in general. It was a HUGE turn off. Another subject was all the lies I was told. Each sale rep had a different story. It almost became a game for me to see how many new lies the next rep would tell me. PLEASE STAY AWAY from this company. You know the saying, you get what you pay for. If they have such a superior service, why are they giving away what other companies charge for?

No cancellation allowed!

I would like to let people know that in August of 2004, on a personal referral, I signed a contract for a security system by Protect America. I was charged 36.00 a month for a 2 year contract. I had nothing but problems with the stick on magnets on the windows... I often found the parts on the floor where the adhesive had simply disintegrated... when I called to complain that the system interfered with my telephone system and that the stick on 2" bars were falling off all over the place, it was suggested I screw them in place. I did not want to screw anything in to the brand new vinyl windows I had installed.

Every time I called this company, the person I last spoke with, no longer was employed by the company... hhmmmm... I wonder why???...

Anyway, to cut a long story short... I sold my house this year and have been trying to cancel the service, seeing that I no longer own the home. Today I was informed that I would have to give 60 days notice to cancel. I told them that 30 days should be adequate. They also informed me that my 2 year contract was automatically renewed for another year in August 2006.

I can see a lawsuit in the future, with this company. If you have had problems with this company with regard your contract, please contact me. I would like to band together to stop this company from taking advantage of people. They will keep on doing this type of business unless someone stands up... and attempts to stop them...

• Fr
    Frank Rizzo Dec 21, 2006

Protect America is the work of SATAN!!!!! How dare those ###, we must band together and become one mind one entity so that we may defeat the hose beast the anti-Christ.....thank you come again.

jANE JONES Nov 29, 2007

Ripped me off also but I'm still working on getting them back said to return motion sensor for credit and after they received they are refusing to credit my mastercard but I have disputed the charged since I have not paid them yet and I have the post office receipts where I returned their product.

Ana Apr 26, 2008

On October 30th, 2004, Abraham Stallins, a PA representative misled me into believing that I could purchase a Protect America alarm system without a phone line. I did not have one and did not want one, because I felt that a cell phone was sufficient. Unfortunately, after I signed, I was told that a phone line was necessary, so instead of paying $30 dollars a month, I have been paying an additional $40 dollars a month. Well, I waited for the three years to be over so I can cancel my service, and the PA representatives are telling me I had to cancel 60 days before the 36-month contract agreement. Although the agreement states that it will be renewed, it does not state that I am obligated to pay for another year. I also want out of this unethical company.

Everyone needs to file a complaint here if they contacted these people online!

Protect America is ripping me off and they'll rip you off too!

Beware of Protect America Inc, 5100 N IH 35 # B, Round Rock TX 78681 (phone: [protected]). Protect America...

Service is horrible

Our experience with this company has been horrible and I wish I would have found out they have over 700 unresolved complaints with the BBB Texas before I did business with them. Thinking that they were a large reputable company who sell GE alarms, I thought they were okay. I might ad they use high pressure sales pitches and before you know it, you've agreed to a contract.

Protect America misrepresented the product and has not offered a solution for ongoing system problems. System does not work properly in home, interferes with other equipment (telephones), contacts have glued backing which does not hold on windows, doors, etc. (several have fallen off). Their solution was to screw contacts to window, but I have vinyl windows, so that will not work.

The salesperson misquoted monitoring fee for package (for Silver package $29.95 monthly) and the next person I spoke with told me it was $34.95 mo.. When I said never mind, they got a supervisor to agree to a price adjustment on the equipment to offset monthly monitoring increase, but credit was never given. They still charged the full price for the equipment $168.90 and $34.95 monthly.

The original salesperson is no longer with the company and on several occasions, I called and several people took messages, but no one will ever call us back. They have just left us hanging with a system that is ineffective.

When I check on the BBB website, it basically says you are bound to the 36 month contract since you signed it. They don't care if the company is selling lousy products and I'm surprised that GE is not getting any repercussions. Hey, I think I will file a complaint with them too!

• To
    Tom Chase Nov 28, 2006

I totally agree. I just had the unpleasant experience to trying to cancel after two years and two months of (service?), the last year it wasn't even turned on. I also had to use hot melt glue to reattach the contacts.
    I am wondering if there has been anymore resolvent to the contract issues yet.

• Bo
    Bob Jensen Jul 22, 2008

This company is a total scam, and when you complain over their lack of performance to the contract they report you to collections. Only thing I suggest is to pay these extorionist if you value your credit. These statements are my personal opinion.. These guys are ### and you really should think twice before doing business with them.

More complaints here ...

/URL removed/

/URL removed/

make sure you read page two also

1039 complaints filed against business at the Better Business Bureau

Here is a link for feedback that supposedly goes straight to the CEO!

Here is the link for your state licensing information ... contact them too!

Don't forget to file complaints by email and you can copy paste everything. It makes it easier on you. If you signed up online file with

The BBB only takes complaints and makes recommendations. Complaints need to be made with the Attorney General and the IC3; the Governor ... whoever ...just copy and paste ... send it everywhere ... if you see someone recommending them; send this list of complaints! Let them know that there is way too many complaints; and over 1000 at the BBB stands for something. The BBB has started taking and logging complaints even on businesses that aren't members; so it is a good place to check.

• Mo
    motozine Jan 12, 2010

Ahhh...should have found this post before i dealt with them.

This is what happen last one week.
    Just had installed (Jan6th, 2010) and went vacation right after. My neighbor called (Jan8th), not Protect Amercial nor police, there is alarm sounds in my house. Called PA Monitoring center couldn't find my record so after I've been trying 30min, i could get in touch with service center. After speaking to rep, Simple they weren't sure it's actual break-in or bad motion sensor fault. There was nothing they could do remotely, equipment was really poor. It's past 1 hr 30min after I end phone conversation with them. Was just horrible experience, again i was on vacation.

Two days later (Jan10th night) came back home and I found actually there was break-in, my window was fully opened. So called service rep asked about why just alarm, no police no calls. Told me reason no one called due to i had familialization period but i denied when i contracted. I was just so upset and they explain there is re-stocking fee of $80 also.
    What can be worse than this.

People just stay away from them. Protect America doesn't do nothing but fooling with GE branded equipment.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices