Projects Abroadvolunteer service - complete fraud

V

This is a glorified travel agency and nothing else. My daughter who is 17 'applied' for the two week High School program 6 days before it was to start. There was no screening of her what-so-ever, no parental consent needed, no background check before she received an email saying she had been accepted. This company only cares about getting the money. It is a total fraud organization that is for profit.

My 17 year old daughter had filled out the application and paid the $295 application fee, without sending the parental consent. Her mother, nor I signed anything. The company happily accepted the fee and when we requested it back a day later because we decided she shouldn't go we were told it was not refundable.

I find it quite alarming a person would be accepted without any screening at all for a volunteer program in Africa. I certainly wouldn't want my child to go somewhere where the others hadn't been properly screened. And this is my point, this company only cares about receiving the fees. It also, of course, 'generously' offers and suggests one book the travel arrangements through it. Just one more way to make money.

My wife has volunteered on several occasions around the world through legitimate volunteer organizations. There is an abundance of screening and competition for these spots. I strongly recommend anyone who is looking to volunteer to get in touch with a local organization or local University and find a legitimate volunteer organization that is actually in it to help and not primarily to make money.