Phone Powerit is a scam

I purchased a Phone Power modem and signed up for a 1-year contract with the 2nd year free. The call quality for international calls were dismal despite spending many hours with Phone Power support over 3 months. After tweaks, service would be OK for 1 call, then the next day it is poor again. I eventually gave up on this service as a $400 mistake. The equipment could not even give a dial-tone, so the emergency local service I expected to get has not been operational for the past 8 months.

Now a year later, I received an email that they will soon charge me $38 in taxes for the 2nd-year "free" service. I canceled the account, then received notice that I must send them at my expense, the modem I bought outright from Best Buy, else they will charge me $99 for my own modem.

Their billing practices are not transparent. They tack on 20% taxes on top of the call fees. They charge for calls when a connection was never established. They charge me for the calls they *asked* me to make so they could listen in (with permission) to monitor the waves of static. I wonder how many calls they listened in on that I was not aware off. I allowed the eavesdropping in the hope that I could end with service that might work -- it never did.

They will charge you $99 when you cancel your account half-way through the 2 years you paid for upfront. You can avoid that charge if you send them (at your expense) the hardware you bought outright. That is stealing one way or the other.

And since I cannot "remove" my credit card they keep on file, I had to change my credit card to prevent them from making ad-hoc charges as they see fit.

Phone Power is a scam. Enough of us have suffered and lost. Don't join.