Orkin Pest ControlHeartless management and horrible company to work for!

I am a past employee of orkin pest control from a few years ago... If you are considering a career with this company, I urge you to reconsider! While at the interview they make it sound like it's the best job on earth! When in reality it is anything but! If you take a job with this company, be prepared to work very long hours with no compensation! When I worked there I put in an excess of 55 to 60 hours a week, 6 days a week...

Most people would think, "well it's a lot of hours, but at least you make alot of money from overtime!" wrong! They pay you on a production basis, which means you make a percentage of the production you make for the day... Which is a very small percentage! What does this mean??? That's right... No overtime pay whatsoever!!! The company realizes this and takes advantage of their employees because they can legally work their employees 60 hours a week and not have to pay any extra out of their own pocket! Aside from that, the benefits from the job are horrific!!! They do offer medical, dental, life... Etc... But the coverage is so unbelieveably horrible it's not even worth getting! They do have company vehicles of which you have restricted use, (which means you can only use it for work purposes and that's it!) which would be fine, except they take out a hefty amount out of your own pay for using their trucks to do their work!!! If you are caught using it for other purposes other than work, there are hefty consequences! And don't think you can just use it anyway and get away with it... Nope... They have gps units equipped on every vehicle so they know your every move! Any extra expenses required for work (i.E. Cell phone calls [of which they require from you everyday]tolls, work uniforms, and basically anything else aside from gas, you are required to pay out of your own pocket with no reimbursement from the company.

All this combined with heartless management makes this an all around horrible company to work for! Leaving the company was the smartest decision i've ever made! And if you are considering employment with them, I strongly urge you to reconsider.

BurgGirl Feb 29, 2020

Melanie (Fulk) Miller is using co time and property to engage in an extramarital affair w/ a married man. This unprofessional, unethical, and morally reprehensible behavior is a reflection upon the co. A co employing people lacking in moral character demonstrates a lack of professionalism and honesty. Employees should be held to a code of ethics.

• Mi
    Mike34545 Aug 06, 2019

Working driver runs red light and barely misses causing a significant traffic accident. Truck number 53494

• Sh
    Sheila Underwood May 14, 2019

Called today to make a payment and schedule service at [protected], I was told very rudely that weekend appointments are not an option period this year.

Well ok Orkin I will take my business elsewhere thank you

The customer service lady really was not listening to me either

Mable Brown Jan 05, 2019

I can not believe you have your techs working on Christmas EVE!! You need to really do something about being open on that day!! Absolutely ridiculous -- I will be finding a new company to do my pest control! Family is more important

• Du
    DugtheDawg Oct 29, 2018

These folks complaining are full of crap.
    I have worked for Orkin for 19 years. I work as a commercial pest technician.
    Pay - basically you can make as much as you want, depending on how much you want to work.
    I work Monday thru Friday, 40 to 45 hours a week, depending on starts and call backs, in addition to my monthly schedule. I make between 70 and 80, 000 a year. We have techs that make over 100, 000 a year, working weekends, and longer days.

Benefits - I currently have 15 days of vacation a year, in addition to 3 floating holidays (take whenever I want)
    10 days sick leave. Our 401 k is very robust, and the company just increased what they match, and gave all employees stocks.

All these crybabies just are whiners that cannot work at a job that you have to earn your pay. You do the work, and you get paid.

Also drive a co pany vehicle and take it home. Gas card, etc.

• Dl
    DLBailey Jan 30, 2016

Everything this person Valerie posted is true. I worked for Orkin off and on for 15 years. I have also worked for mom and pop companies in the pest industry. Overall, this industry is nothing but a huge rip off scam designed to feed off the phobias of people afraid of pests. Sometimes there are genuine pest issues that need to be taken care of, but mostly these companies thrive off forcing people into long term contracts and milking money from them. With Orkin, it is the worse. When I first started with them in the 1990's, they were a good company. But over time, they have developed nonsensical business practices that force technicians to work very long hours with no real compensation. I worked out the wages per hour I worked, and basically I was working close to minimum wage. I had also developed health issues several years ago, and Orkin was not compassionate to my needs nor very accommodating . Their excuse was that I had to be 100% or not work at all. To the person who calls himself "orkinman" and insulted many people on here who have worked for this company and have viable complaints:I have news for you. I chose to go back to college, earn a degree, and am now teaching in the interim while I get certifications to go into forensic work in Law Enforcement. I am not a wimp. You need to go back to school and learn proper grammar or else you will end up as a Walmart greeter, especially since now Orkin institutes audits on technicians and if there are discrepancies, including not properly communicating, you will be fired, like someone I know who worked for the company for 12 years just had happened.

• El
    El Mojado Blanco Feb 25, 2015

I understand many of the complaints on the board but having worked for Orkin at 2 different branches, one mixed, other only commercial, I think I can give a broader evaluation. I currently work for Terminix as an Outside sales/termite inspector. Orkins training was far superior to what I received from Terminix. Not because their training specialist were bad, but because there is not nearly enough time given for the training and OJT is a freaking joke. Orkin puts you with another tech who has been through a class for trainers and who has a reasonable amount of experience. At least for service techs where I was, I don't know about sales people? Some Orkin branches could be tight with giving out chem. That is usually because of pressure from on high for better numbers. You will face stupid crap from ANY and EVERY, large multi-national pest company unless you where recently purchased by one and they haven't had the chance to screw it up yet. I saw good integrity at Orkin with my Branch managers and almost all service managers, even the one I didn't care for wasn't a lair to my knowledge, she was just ready to through anyone under the bus (bigger companies seem to promote that for those who want to climb the ladder). Both Terminix and Orkin have some great people performing the service, (not everybody, but there's always a floater somewhere). The problem is both companies are trying from the top to be merely profit and numbers driven. Corners can be cut to make growth appear numerically, but if you lose focus on service, you will continually be searching for new customers and spending more on advertising/marketing. Terminix is totally that way. So is Orkin to some extent. If you want to be a service tech and make money, it is dependent on your route. Even if you inherit the tightest, sweetest route ever, it takes a certain amount of time to make it yours, win over customers, who'd been service by another tech for possibly years, and deal with new stuff. I was always paid over time when I was a start tech, I did feel a little pressure to under report hours but it was mostly self applied. This stuff about serving 37 stops in a day, and and walking away with $700 bucks at the end of the month, seems out there from what I've seen and experienced. If that happened to me I would have seen it rectified or left quickly. If you don't wanna get pimped, don't let somebody treat you like a Ho. In the end a lot depends on your branch, how the branch manager is and the sale(s) and service manager(s). Where ever you go you should learn as much as you can, cause that's the one thing you can take with you.

• Or
    orkintag May 11, 2014

I am still going through the training process... Commercial side ...so far this is what i have evaluated my BM is great, helps with whatever I need. I got the truck on the 1st day i arrived for training and I went on a 2 week ride along and from what i learned its the price on the ticket is cut in half for the time it should take you to do the job. For instance $30.00 15mins $100 50mins i believe... commercial side is more fun to me because
    1. there is hardly ever a ticket less than $100 unless it's a gas station or something small like that
    2. lots of exterior only no dealing with people or customers!!!
    3. the hardest part is when you start to do your route you have to figure out which stops to do first!! Some you can do all day, some will want you as early as 5 am its just figuring out who wants you when. But the main problem is callbacks..have to many and you can't get anything done.
    4.my route manager is cool too if i need help with anything he prefers i call him before anyone else he also does paperwork and helps others finish their routes if they can't finish it. BM pretty much the same way
    5.i got my tools and my uniforms and my bags to carry stuff in yesterday...all free i know because it didn't come out of my check :-)
    6.techs are real friendly too each one said " Hey if you got a problem or if there's any questions please... give one of us a call or the RM so that you get the help you need."

• Ko
    kopyritte Apr 21, 2014

Been with the company for 9 years and love it and especially the people I work with. I have worked at 3 different branches in my area and helped train a merging company. I hate to say it, but a lot of you complaining sound like a bunch of screw ups. Nobody has 37 calls, works after 7 p.m. at the most. Plus how are you going to treat in the dark properly?, yes you get paid overtime even on commission salary, and the car take home charge is only 110 a month. Of course you cant take you company truck out anywhere as a personal vehicle and management does not care if you stop at places while in route. Im guessing some of you were driving and doing things that were interfering with you daily work. Dont get me wrong there are some c*** managers out in the Orkin world. Region also helps solve branch problems by having town hall meetings once a year to discuss problems set aside without management. Ive seen the results and im not complainer. Also to the guy complaining about broken equipment technically a lot of it just needs to be fixed due to wear with simple tools use your dam brain lol.

• Go
    Godsangel Nov 04, 2013

Hello my husband worked for Orkin west control for 3 years and recently walked away and it was the best decision we could have ever made. When he was hired they feed him a lot of c*** which didn't come to past after he got good and seasoned. He is a very good people person and all his customers loved him they would even by him little things for Christmas or if they had a overflow of vegetables from the garden they would share some with him which really helped a lot considering we have three children to feed. The management at the branch where he worked was very unorganized and unprofessional and rarely did there jobs but expected the techs to do what they were suppose to do. I do understand that people might say that we are in a recession and you are good to have a job but no job is worth risking your health, life, or family values. If you are a single person you might can handle the job for a little while but eventually you will get burned out. The pay is not worth it the stress is not worth it you are better off working for McDonalds or Wal-Mart. I really wish there was some way that we can all bind together to have one voice so we could file a class action lawsuit against this company. If you are a employee for this company right now and you are considering leaving don't hesitate, if would be the best decision you could ever make. :) hope this help someone.

sadden2453 Aug 28, 2013

I see people on here defending there company, that it changes from region to region. Where i find flexibility in a company nice considering each region has different problems with pest control. be thankful you have a good job, however your fellow orkin employee have the same underlining problem consistent from different regions and shouldn't be ignored. IT'S TIME VS PAY! I worked for maid service that was the same way, actually working very little hours; working your tail off in that short amount of time to get an entire house thoroughly cleaned. Not getting paid for travel time, or gas used for those sites traveling long distances; which took the most time of my day. So here i was having to spend 60+ hours away from home and at the end of the month making $400-600. I know how you feel, and recommend anyone going into this business read these complaints and ask questions about the pay, how they handle there customers, what will you be compensated for and what you will not, before taking the job. NOTHING is worse than realizing your working for slave wages and showing nothing for it. no thank you's, no bonuses, nothing! And then knowing there is nothing you can do about it, because it's better than no money, or the smug on your work history. I really do feel for you guys.

• Pe
    Pest Tech Jun 20, 2013

I've been working for this company for less than a week. I can tell you know, everyone I work with loves their job. I couldn't afford work boots, so my Service Manager gave me money to buy a pair. The branch manager took the new hires out for a nice lunch. Yesterday, I made a big mistake and fell through the floor of a customer's attic. If I don't lose my job over that, I really will know how great this company is. Ready these reviews makes me very happy with the branch I'm working out of.

• Su
    Support Cat Jan 18, 2013

"Orkinman" (obviously a company shill), get a clue. You may or may not agree to this complaint, based on your IQ <and honor quotient>. I worked for this company for 5 years, it's all true. Hours plus, very little compensation. Clueless management only interested in the big dream which extreme very few realize. Good luck sir, I hope you make it. However, I think you will rethink your career choice when realization strikes you hard, as I did. God speed!

• Na
    NathanC Aug 06, 2012

I have to say it seems like the branches most of you work at are awful. I am a branch manager at Orkin in the deep south. I find a lot of employees trick themselves into thinking they are hard workers and are being mistreated. You may work 16 hours one day but you tend to forget the other 5 you finished early. My Orkin is a franchise (a larger one, I run 16 counties, and 4 parishes) and my guys work very hard. I have also fired many employees that I have found to be lazy, stupid, or some combination of the two. People have to understand if you have any position at my company your also a salesman. My guys do work long hours, 7am to 6pm, M-F. They may even work more if they have an early stop or a late clean out. I go out of my to provide for my guys because if they are on my team they are outstanding workers. I pay their heath care (no out of pocket for them), I allow my trucks to be used at no charge to go back and forth to work, I have a scheduler for them, they make 22% of their route charges (most are at 14, 000 a month), pay them 10% on all contracts they sell (10% of the yearly total of contract), 50.00 per sold lead if they give it to a salesperson, access to all the chemicals they need (if they use more than they should they have to explain way to prevent ghost routes), and I pay 50% of whatever their phone bill is because they do use their personnel phone for company use. It may be that your branch is really bad or your are. If these Orkin or Terminex branches are really that bad how do they have employees left? It seems to me they wouldn't be able to keep anyone and they would shut their doors.

• Ka
    KARMA IS A COMING FOR YOU May 10, 2012

Written by Seeking Legal Action II on May 10, 2012

I am seeking legal action against this company they are a bad bad company. You are absolutly right they are not only getting rich off their customers but there employees as well. I was one of their best techs work wise but not a kiss *** and/or played into their political correctness control issues bs. This company Orkin is a revolving door they can't keep good techs or bad techs. They use us they basically suck the life out of you and take advantage of you. Then finally when the tech has had enough starts complaining or cutting down on hours to have a life and showing attitude and sticking up for themselves and fights back they deem you a problem worker a bad tech with an attitude problem. God forbid you work less than a 10 hour day with this company and try to have a life. It's pretty sad when an office manager has more control over your immediate branch mgr guess where all puppets on a string. This company creates hostile work environments for the techs period. Then when the tech has finally had enough and decides to leave this awful co and give their 2 week resignation they turn around and promptly dismiss you and not let you finish your 2 weeks which is illegal in many states hoping you don't figure out you can still file for unemployment and win because of them abbruptly dismissing you and then they(Office Mgr/Regional Mgr screw with all of your vacation floating hoidays and finagle it to make it look like you used it and then to top it all off they start given you bad references so you can't find other employment which is also illegal. Whats sad is all the big pest control companies are this way now it is one of the most back stabbing unethical buisness to be in and quite frankly I am thru working for these types of companies I will be starting my own buisness if able or I'm getting out all together. I think all of us former Orkin employees need to ban together across the nation and bring a class action law suit and finally expose this company and the pest control industry for who and what they really are! Either way I'm seeking legal action!

• Ka
    KARMA IS A COMING FOR YOU May 10, 2012

Written by Seeking Legal Action II on May 10, 2012
    Regena when many many complaints come from many many different states its an Orkin problem period manager/mgmts are puppetts on strings period. I too am seeking legal action against this company they are a bad bad company. You are absolutly right they are not only getting rich off their customers but there employees as well. I was one of their best techs work wise but not a kiss *** and/or played into their political correctness control issues bs. This company Orkin is a revolving door they can't keep good techs or bad techs. They use us and they basically suck the life out of you and take advantage of you. Then finally when the tech has had enough starts complaining and showing attitude and sticking up for themselves and fights back they deem you a problem worker a bad tech with an attitude problem. God forbid you work less than a 10 hour day with this company and try to have a life. It's pretty sad when an office manager has more control over your immediate branch mgr guess where all puppets on a string. This company creates hostile work environments for the techs period. Then when the tech has finally had enough and decides to leave this awful co and give their 2 week resignation they turn around and promptly dismiss you and not let you finish your 2 weeks which is illegal in many states hoping you don't figure out you can still file for unemployment and win because of them abbruptly dismissing you and they screw with all of your vacation floating hoidays and finagle it (office Managers) to make it look like you used it and then to top it all off they start given you bad references so you can't find other employment which is also illegal. Whats sad is all the big pest control companies are this way now it is one of the most sad back stabbing unethical buisness to be in and quite frankly I am thru working for these types of companies I will be starting my own buisness if able or I'm getting out all together. I think all of us former Orkin employees need to ban together across the nation and brng a class action law suit and finally expose this company and the pest control industry for who and what they really are! Either way I'm seeking legal action!

• Re
    regenaCFT Apr 21, 2012

Sounds like to me you guys have bad management in place. You should have called your regional manager & fixed whatever problems were going on first. I work for Orkin now as a pc tech & have gone on to be a trainer. The people that i have read in this post I have seen come through the offices of Cooks and Orkin. You simply didnt know how to properly manage your route. I start at 7:30am or sometimes 8 or 9am & run 12 to 14 stops a day and home by 4. Thats even if i get a new start. I dont have many call backs because I make sure I do a through job while i am at my stop to ensure no call back. Its very easy. I totally agree with the insurance. It sucks. I cancelled it. I pay $60 twice a month to take my truck home & no place else. This is due to high price of insurance that the company has to pay. Which I live 25 miles from my office so that is cheap since it will take $400 a month to drive my big truck to work. My Management is supportive & helps me all they can. They expect me to get my stops done which is 200 stops a month. which with the 2 reinspections i do daily I usually gross $45k per year.
    ITS SIMPLE. WORK SMART NOT HARD & STOP COMPLAINING & WORK. People are so lazy these days and want to get paid for doing half the work or none at all. This job takes being extreamly organized, punctual and great customer service skills. If you dont have these you wont make it. Regena at the best company out there... ORKIN Madison TN

• Fr
    free man Feb 10, 2012

I worked for orkin for 4 years in Florida, the most abusive corporation i ever worked, with a half way good sorry ### benefits, slavery hours, not over tI'me pay, poor medical coverage. i just couldn't make a strait decision, pay medical, and live in my car, or buy food and provide to family a home, yeah!!! For those Orkin lovers, buy some self steam books please... i quit 4 months a go, i miss all my co-workers, and 90% of my customers, but I'm free now...

• Wr
    wrongjob4me Nov 12, 2011

I 100% agree with all the negative comments. They are spending as much money as they can to not pay me or help me after getting an industry related illness. Also, as far as the comments being made about documentation...they want you to make no written requests of any kind so there is no paper trail. As far as the hours that was never an issue, I have no problem with working long hours and I do have a family and they understood my long hours, however the compensation and excuses of not being compensated for sales made every month was a toll. The lies and dishonesty from upper management level is disgusting. In my belief, not only are the employees taken advantage of there is a major disservice done to their customers. We were told on numerous occasions not to go back to certain customers homes due to the risk of having to pay out claims for work not performed correctly in the past.

• La
    ladybugkiller Sep 19, 2011

Sounds just like Terminix to me!

notloyal Sep 13, 2011

As an employee of two years, all the working as slaves is completely true. And, in part, yes it does vary by what branch manager u have. But, when u have a branch manager that cares, somewhere down the line, the upper guys find ways to get rid of them. The hours u work is true as they come. Worked a total of 70 hours of work, and only was paid for the hours of service., which came to 56. The remaining time wasn't paid to me, due to a law being amended which gave them the right to not pay u for drive time, which in my case was about ten extra hours of work for free a week. The overtime is set as a fluctuating work week, which is Chinese overtime, in short. Nothing about ur services changes, unless there's a problem in the account. Beyond that, slaves is what they make out of u. Currently looking for alternate company to work for. Got screwed out of what money I was making, no matter how well ur customers talk u up, they always have a reason not to pay u more for what u do for their company. The workers make the company, and they have lost that vision by allowing themselves get too big, too fast. We are the reflection of that company, and our customers see the tech, not orkin.

• Fu
    fuorkin Sep 08, 2011

I agree with the negative feedback..my husband has been with orkin for over 8 years...even though the company started out good they have taken a turn for the worst.the branch manager only sees things he wants to see but then when something big happens he says he was blind sided when really he didnt pay attention..the new tech manager well was timid at first now she tries to throw her weight around and thinks she owns the place..she did this volunteer thing and dont get me wrong i believe in helping people out when needed but when she goes to the house to clean up or paint on the clock to me that is not volunteering..then when she asked other people to help out and volunteer their evening or weekend she would send texts and call or make statements about not volunteering..volunteering is just that volunteering no obligations to it..she also brings in pictures of herself in bikinis..what the hell is that..who care what you looked like 20 years ago you arent going to get it back...she is to busy sucking the new region presidents ### to really do the work she needs to do...also to busy going to walmart to go shopping..also telling the techs that they have a stack of applications and anybody can be replacedm well honey so can you...my husband works his ### off and spends long hours and this job and they want him to slave away..he cant take a vacation because he has to have his people done before he can go..thought taking a vacation was for that reason so you didnt have to worry about the customers for a week...now you have to fill out all this paper work so the customer can see what you done and what youll be doing the next time..really do the customers give a ###..more likely no as long as there tech is getting the job done..they talk about customer service for the techs but it works all around..the call centers are a piece of ###..half the time he never gets the message about customers that reschedule or starts..the customers get transferred many times before they get to talk to anybody and they are rude..i know the seceratry at my husbands office is a ### and for some reason they keep her around..then they turn around and wonder why the customer is mad...well id be mad to if they gave me a time frame and nobody showed and come to find out the tech knew nothing about it...branch manager says the call center is working out the bugs..my thing is it has been over a year and a half and there still is bugs then something is not working...also orkin changes the rates of customers every 2 years..well this year instead of being a couple of bucks it was between 8 and 10 dollars. then they wonder why customers cancel..get a clue..they say that is how the techs get there raises but how do they get raises when they higher the rate and people cancel because the rate is to high???? stupid ###...just because you have a college degree and sit inside an ice cold ac dont make you smarter than the small person...the techs are the ones that are making orkin the money and as far and management and all the uppers they either have forgotten or are just to stupid to see the full picture...as far as benefits...orkin is a fortune 500 company and the benifits are ###...husband needs lab work and insurance dont pay for any of it..so he cant get it...wtf...truck use well they take it out of his check and then return it but tax it...orkin can pencil whip that for their taxes we cant..they will replace you on a dime and make some excuse to make them feel better about firing you..(well he owns another business and has a qp hell be ok, or he wasnt a team player) there is no team playing at this job..its work out in the 115 degree weather in the summer if you start early to beat the heat your bad cause something may come in your on call until this time...if you have a family you might as well chalk it up as not seeing them cause you very rarely do...beware of orkin..if the job maket was better believe me my husband would be somewhere else that appriecates him...not this crap where the company keeps getting richer while the little people work for all the money and get a very small percentage..

• i got into an auto accident recently was rear ended with severe whiplash and back injury they after one week trying to work they went against doctors advice made me crawl on my hands and knees replacing bait stations while the manager talked on his cell phone they threatened me with workers comp fraud suspended my pay after a week because i was unable to drive the 1hour to the office they dont reinburse for highway tools or gas i paid for on my vehicle i am going to formally file a class action lawsuit against orkin they are a nightmare from hell their manager at my branch is very abusive its time i went and found something else to do . right now i have no income for an accident i did not cause. orkin just does not care about any employee we are a bag of money to them their overtime i call it chinese overtime its based on production its horrible this co has changed my faith in corporate america being from europe orkin would be shut down there for its employee practices

• Bi
    Bilbo Baggins Jul 19, 2011

My wife has used Orkin for nearly 20 years. As a customer, they were good before the merger with Western, then service went downhill, response time went downhill. As usual, a merger of 2 large companies rarely benefits the consumer in any way; the only way to pay for teh lawyers and executive bonuses for the merger is to lay a lot of people off, then work the rest to death.

I sympathize with the worker bees, they do work hard, but the company is now understaffed and service sucks. We'll be calling a competitor soon.

• Gl
    Glad to be Gone Mar 24, 2011

It has been very interesting to read the above comments. I just recently resigned from Orkin do to failure to meet contractual and verbal committments. Orkin decided they we pay commissions how they wanted too not how was defined in contract. Management at Orkin is so top heavy and so self centered and wrapped in numbers its virtually impossible to do your work. There is two levels of employees, management then basic employees. Teamwork doesnt exsist as management will work to insure it won't exsist. Benefits are the worst I have ever experienced in my 45 years of working. So when looking at Orkin make sure you do your homework as they will tell you anything but it changes after you go to work.

• Js
    jstdeneau Dec 27, 2010

Was employed at Orkin Inc for 18 years. Been through 14 different branch managers. Seen lots in that amount of years. Bettered myself, took Purdue, Texas A&M, AIB 2 service manager scools etc. Made the mistake of saying I wanted to go into management ( I am female) took the online Helms test passed with flying colors. I was told by Region management to help 2 "male" employees to pass the same test. Was promised advancement that "fell through" told to train my replacement. Told Region management I did not want to train my replacement when I had nowhere to go. Forced to do so. Now guess what? After 18 years I have been fired on some BS that was either ok'd by Region management or was ok'd by internal audit. Shame on me, my replacement has been trained by me. Guess I was ok to train my replacement but not ok to work at the office. Not just me but a technician that is about to get fired's roomate was asked if he could swing the rent by himself. Talked to a lawyer and he stated Orkin could give me a bad reference as long as they told the half truth. Eighteen years of sacrafice for nothing. Oh yeah it means nothing that sales inspectors have forged customer signatures on inspections, "talked 'elderly customers into signing contracts etc. all ok'd by management even though I brought it to their attention.

• Mi
    MikeHunt Nov 09, 2010

Now let a Manager throw his two cents in... "EVERYTHING" stated negative towards this Company "IS TRUE"! You think you have it bad as a technician, try being a manager for this Company! ITS HORRIBLE! They abuse the hell out of you! I work for a branch manager who is rarely ever in work yet has an astronomical amount of time coming to him! He is screwing the help and steals from the Company! I have to pick up his slack along with the other managers too! (They are partners in crime) The regional manager is a [censored]bag and has it in for everyone! I MEAN EVERYONE! This is probably the worst job I have ever had and am looking forward to getting the hell out of there! So you technicians out there, past and present, dont think ALL of the management staff are as happy as you think! The job sucks but we unfortunately, like you, have to feed the family and pay the mortgage too!

Jolene Weinstein Oct 06, 2010

I have watched my brother in law for over 2 years slave for this company - Everything Jay C says in the beginning is correct. What they do to their employees is shameful... I will never use Orkin and I tell everyone the stories that I know that they do to their employees. The federal government is sueing them for discrimination as of May 2010. They are the equivalent of sweat shops.

• Re
    REAL TALK Aug 10, 2010

I currently work in the Midwest region, I like what I do. I except the challenging days and the easy ones. The pay is o.k too, but the rises SUCK especially when your Branch Manger is a CHEAP [censor] SUCKER!!! It's not the company that we're upset with it's the BRANCH MANAGERS and the SERVICES MANAGER THAT SUCK MAJOR!!! The customer are o.k same time and when they're not most of the time they have good reason. The BIGGEST problem is those idiot's in Atlanta sale center PLEASE GUYS GET A CLUE. The company do offer good growth opportunities in same position. But if your Branch Manager is the man with his foot in your neck its time to look for a new job Orkin is not for everyone.

• My
    myopinion2010 Jun 21, 2010

If you get fired from a company or quit, you're obviously going to have negative feelings about it. Having worked for Orkin for a little over a year now, in HO. I can say that, yes there are many people whom i disagree with and think they are doing their job poorly, but that has nothing to do with me, I do my work, get paid very well and at the end of the day I am happy. If you had/have a problem with someone and it's effecting your job, maybe grow up and talk to them, or another manager about it. The only way to resolve an issue is to let the person know you actually have an issue. Personally all you downing the company, remember that Orkin is all over the world, they have helped millions upon millions of people. If they were a bad company, logically they wouldn't have made it this far. They did, and I'm glad to be part of the company, as I talk to thankful customer's everyday. The people I work for and with are amazing, and it is a very rewarding job. If you care about helping people, not just [censor]ing about them, it's a good company to work for.

• Or
    orkinman Mar 08, 2010

anyone who says orkin sucks well u suck yourself because orkin is the best company i ever worked for. So dont make up any bull crap about orkin because like they tell u before you start if ur a wimp and you cant take the long hours, realy good pay and benefits then go work at walmart as a door greeter cus thats all u would be good for anyway.

• Ap
    Applicant Mar 04, 2010

I am interested in becoming a service tech in Los Angeles for Orkin, but I really don't know how much I can make. So before I go through the application, etc., can someone please explain how I will get paid - it sounds confusing. It sounds like I will get a base hourly rate (like $10 / hr), and then a bonus if other things happen? What are the "other things". How much could I make if all goes well. Thanks for any help.

• Tp
    TPW Feb 18, 2010

Here is the real truth. I worked for Orkin back in the 90's for 8 years as a Termite salesman in South Florida. I made over 60k per year every year with ease and had a company car that I could use anywhere. I also got gas allowance of $250.00 every month. I lost my job due to a DUI

I am happy to say that I am back home working for Orkin in Taylors SC with a group of folks that love the job. The customer service is the best I have ever seen. Little to no complaints and the very few complaints are handled right away to the customers satisfaction. My training was for three months and still ongoing.

I can say from 9 years with this company that they have great integrity and respect for the employee and the customer. Orkin is far better then any other pest control company I have ever seen and I have seen alot.

The service will vary from one region to the next, depending upon the manager. The companys policy is outstanding for the customers and the employee. If you called the home office, you would be treated like gold and your problem would be resolved. And the branch manager would here about it.

As for me. I'M an Orkin man and I will retire here this time. As for the bashing all I can say is it's very hard for me to believe the bologna I have read. Orkin pays the employees well and is not a bad company to work for.

Signed,
    The Orkin Man

• Ro
    roachkiller Feb 07, 2010

I've worked for Orkin for the past 6 years. I'm miserable. Although, I do love my customers, management sucks a big one. They push and push. I have no life anymore. Threated constantly of being fired. I work 50 plus hours a week. No thanks yous around that office at all. We are treated like child labor. awful.

• Ps
    PSC sucks Oct 16, 2009

Currently work for this company for the last 4.7 years and each day it gets worse. First off they lay off or transferred the office staff to a new call center in So Cal about 20 months ago. Someone thought this was a great ideal, since all the calls will go to one centralized place. [NOT!!!] I think the turn around at the call center must be allot, since half of the time I never get paged about a call back or about a customer who rescheduled there service for the next day. So when I come into the office the next morning, I will discovered that I have extra stops that I didn't know about and it will be in areas that are about 20 to 25 miles away from the area that I'll be working in that day. So when I call my customers the night before and give them a time frame when I will be coming, sometimes I will be late. I just love that they only give you a 2 way pager that doesn't even work where I live. I had to have them send the pages to an e-mail account so I can make sure I get, when they DO send me the page. I just love how they only go by numbers [CXL %, bad debt, On Time, Sales, production/hr & Allowances] instead of customer service for your pay raises, so my pay has gone up .87 cents since I have been working there. I just love how they keep telling us that they pay the highest to there employees. I have former coworkers who work at other National pest control companies and there hour base pay starts about $1.5 to $2 more per hour. The other thing that sucks about this company is there is no motive to take a week vacation, since you only get paid your hour base pay. For example if you have an $8, 000 route and say you do $2, 000 per week and you take one week vacation? You will not get your commission check since you need to do $6, 000 in production before you get any commission. So I never take a week off and only take one day at a time. They get pissed off, if you try to the week stops that you will be on vacation if you have any overtime. I almost forgot about the 5 days that I did take off this summer [3 5th days and the weekend], I discovered that if there was any call backs for the days that I was off, they called the customer and told them that we need to reschedule since the tech (me) called in sick. I found out this info from the customer when I did the service. But for the stops that were a regular service where the tech will get commission, they had no problem doing it. Currently looking for another job where the employer cares for there employees.

bullrider Oct 01, 2009

im not too surprised bywhat ive read thus far i will not let thisneanderthal ruin my life!!!
    this brach manager is mike gilles from south lac he has ruined many lives throughout the course of rejeem
    he will harrass and harrass till the brink! women and full grown men have walked out of the office with a litteral cryng breakdown because of mr gilles. why he still remains is unknown? this non-human was supposed to be fired with the other ### jack kurdsburg but somehow redeem himself at the last minute.
    m.gilles will speak to all employees as if they are incoherent adults and offer advised in a negeative way..and he treats gay people unfair and he talks about blacks being lazy he just will not use his mind when he speaks to see if any open ear is around this ### needs to be gone soon!!!
    orkin should look into the unfair treatment of this manager seriuusly!!!
    before another lawsuit goes into effect!!!

bullrider Oct 01, 2009

yes they suck!!! orkkn that is!

• Un
    unknownnnn Sep 13, 2009

Former Orkin tech here also. 2 yrs. Residential and Commercial. One of the WORST companies I worked for. Office manager never made sure there was enough supplies for all of us. When the truck came in, techs would clamor over each other trying to fill their truck with supplies. When my B&G broke, they told me just use it "for now" which turned into 2 months before I picked up a new one. I brazed the hole over in the wand after a week of waiting. Backpack always leaked. Service managers were just clueless. Asked them for some help and nada. It was like a giant backstabbing fest there all the time. Office girls would take messages from customers and wouldnt bother paging us until 5 min before they left. They knew by time we got the actual page they'd be out of the office.

Now on to the "mandatory meetings" twice a month. Nothing was more infuriating than being told at one branch meeting we need to change the way we set up rodent controls to this format, then the next branch meeting told to do it yet another way. With the number of accounts on my route, it would had taken me 2 months to finish up the first change they wanted.

Pay. Biggest thing that sucks on salary+comm is overtime being expected. Plus who knows exactly how to figure your check out with all the various pay scale setups they used. Also was real fun to be in a Walmarts/Home Depot/theatre chain/Kmart/malls that are on national accounts for hours treating the place only to get maybe 10% of the monthly charge (which was about $40/month for each of the walmart/Home Depot/Kmart stores I did).

Another big gripe was going into a new account totally blind. Sales people in the branch I worked in rarely ever left us notes or maps to where they put rodent controls or if it was a hidden key account where the key would be. I had one lady go ballistic when I asked which area of the house had the carpenter ant problem. Wasnt the first time sales did that to me. The salesman was buddy buddy with the office mgr so saying anything wouldnt had done anything.

Office girls would give out your personal cell number to ANYONE who calls the office, but when I asked for one of the salesmens cell number so I could ask him a question about the account I was at that he sold, the office girls said they cant give out personal info.

Like Mr Walker said, they do like playing games with the employees. My day ran from 6am to and sometimes past 9pm. When I ran a residential route they told me NOTHING was to be scheduled prior to 7am and after 5pm. Commercial I could somewhat expect though. Although when they fired me they said they were not gonna fight unemployment, which if they did, I would be all over the Dept of Agriculture about the disposal of unused chemicals at the branch ad lack of proper PPE being issued to the techs. I bought my own respirator, gloves, chem suit and chemical boots.

• Tw
    T.WALKER Aug 20, 2009

I AGREE THAT ORKIN SUCKS BIG TIME !!! I HAVE BEEN AN EXTERMINATOR FOR OVER 10 YEARS . IN THAT TIME, , I BASICALLY SEEN IT ALL FROM "MOM AND POP" COMPANIES TO "MAJOR PEST CONTROL PLAYERS" ( LIKE WESTERN, QUINN AND ORKIN ) . FIRST OF ALL THEY HIRED ME TWO YEARS AGO WITH "LAVISH PROMISES", BUT JUST LIKE JAY C SAYS, THEY ARE "HEARTLESS ###" . I HAVE NEVER WORKED FOR AN "EXTERMINATING COMPANY", , THAT PUT "EXTREME WORK PRESSURE" ON YOU WITH NO APPRECIATION OR ANY "REAL LEVEL OF COMPENSATION" FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT . IF YOU ARE YOUNG AND DATING OR MARRIED YOU WILL HAVE A VERY "UNHAPPY WIFE" . ONE SUPERVISOR FROM ORKIN EVEN TOLD ME AND OTHER CO WORKERS TO "FORGET ABOUT HAVING ANY RELATIONSHIPS CAUSE WE ARE BASICALLY MARRIED TO ORKIN NOW" . MAYBE HE THOUGHT WE WOULD LAUGH, BECAUSE AT FIRST HE SAID IT "JOKINGLY" .. AFTERWARDS WE REALIZED IT WAS REAL !! IT WAS LIKE THEY PUSHED AND PUSHED AND PUSHED TO GET MORE AND MORE PRODUCTION OUT OF YOU ... FOR EXAMPLE : " CHANGING SCHEDULES AT THE LAST MINUTE SENDING YOU WAY OUT OF YOUR WAY, , , OR WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET OFF WORK BECAUSE YOU MAY HAVE PLANS ( DOC. APPOINTMENTS, FAMILY EMERGENCY, OR MAYBE YOU JUST WANT TO GO HOME BECAUSE YOU'RE TIRED ) FORGET ABOUT IT, , THEY HIT YOU WITH "EXTRA STOPS" REAL QUICK ON SOME SNEAKY SH*T .. HEY GUYS, , I THINK I AM A "LOYAL SOIDER", BUT THEY DO THESE THINGS TO YOU ON ALMOST ON A DAILY BASIS WITHOUT CARING ABOUT YOU HAVING A LIFE OUTSIDE OF ORKIN ... I MEAN, , IT WOULD BE "ALL GOOD" IF AT LEAST THEY GAVE YOU "POSITIVE FEEDBACK" AND PRETENDED LIKE THEY APPRECIATED HOW YOU ARE "SLAVING FOR THEM", , , BUT I WORKED FROM ABOUT 7:00, , 7:30 AM, TILL ABOUT 6:00PM TO SOMETIMES 7:30 EVEN 9 PM AT NIGHT " NO LIE OR EXAGERATION " . NOW, , I ALSO WORK OUT AND I'M A YOUNG GUY SO I "MANNED UP" AND "GOT TUFF" AND DEALT WITH IT, , ( MAN ITS A RECCESION RIGHT ) . AFTER ABOUT 6 TO 9 MONTHS I PHYSICALLY STARTED WEARING DOWN . I NOTICED WHEN I CAME TO THE OFFICE 80 % OF THE TIME, , MY "DAYS WORK" WAS NEVER READY SO I HAD TO WAIT AROUND THE OFFICE TILL ABOUT 8:30 AM TO 9:30 AM .. AT THIS TIME WHILE I'M IN THE OFFICE WAITING ON THESE "DITSY SECRETARIES AND SUPERVISORS ", , , AND CUSTOMERS WOULD BE CALLING AT THE SAME TIME COMPLAINING THAT I'M NOT AT THERE HOUSE YET, , BECAUSE I'M WAITING IN THE OFFICE FOR MY PAPERWORK HELLO !!! THEN SOON AS I GOT MY WORK AND LEFT THE OFFICE, , , ORKIN WOULD WITHIN "5 TO 10 MINUTES" CALL ME ON THE WALKIE - TALKIE HARRASSING ME LIKE " WHERE ARE YOU AT ??, WHEN WILL YOU GET TO THE CUSTOMER ??, HURRY UP !!, ETC " WHEN I AM RUNNING LATE BECAUSE OF THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE !!! WOW !! NOW I GOT "PISSED OF CUSTOMERS" MAD BECAUSE ORKIN IS NEVER ON TIME AND SUPERVISORS AND SECRETARIES WHO ARE PISSED OFF IN THE OFFICE BECAUSE CUSTOMERS ARE CURSING THEM TO HELL LOL .. WHO DO YOU THINK SUFFERS THE MOST IMPACT OF COMPLAINTS ?? HMM, , YOU GUESSED IT, , ME THE WORKER IN THE FIELD TRYING TO MANUVER A STICK SHIFT TRUCK THAT THEY NEVER, EVER TAUGHT ME TO DRIVE ( MY CO-WORKER WOULD TAKE HIS SPARE TIME AFTER WORK NEGLECTING HIS OWN FAMILY AND RESPONSIBILITIES TO LOOK OUT AND TAUGHT ME IN 3 WEEKS HOW TO DRIVE STICK ) ... I AM ONLY VENTING THIS BECAUSE I GAVE ALOT OF MYSELF TO THIS JOB I MEAN ALOT YOU WOULDN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT, , EVEN MY ORIGINAL BOSS WHO HIRED ME "QUIT" BECAUSE HE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE "REGIONAL BRANCH MANAGER" ... WHEN THEY HIRED "THE NEW BOSS", , THE OFFICE HAD "EXTREME TENSION" .. NOBODY KNEW WHO WAS GOING TO GET THE AX NEXT !!! SOON AFTER, , THEY FIRED 3 OF MY CO WORKERS AND "THE NEW BOSS" STARTED BRINGING HIS PEOPLE IN .. THEN 3 MONTHS AGO THEY FIRED ME FOR "NO GOOD REASON" !! I THEN FILED UNEMPLOYMENT AND RECIEVED BENEFITS UNTILL MY "EX SUPERVISOR' LIED AND SAID, "I QUIT BECAUSE I WAS FUSTRATED " A COMPLETE LIE !!! ... MY BILLS GOT BACKED UP, CABLE AND PHONE CUT OFF ... CELL PHONE CUT OFF .. FAMILY DEPENDING ON ME NOW ARE HUNGRY ... I DON'T WANT A "HAND OUT" BUT I WAS FIRED SO DIRTY AND SO QUICKLY THAT IT WAS HARD TO ADJUST RIGHT AWAY ... I MEAN, , , I WENT FROM WORKING VERY, VERY HARD FOR 2 YEARS, , , TO OVERNIGHT NO PAYCHECKS AND GOING TO COURT FOR MY BENEFITS NOW ... THAT HURTS YOUR PRIDE, CONFIDENCE, BILLS SIUATION AND IS DOWNRIGHT EMBARRISING !! NOW, , , NOT ONLY AM I OUT OF WORK STRUGGLING IN THIS ECONOMY, , , BUT NOW UNEMPLOYMENT FLIPPED THE SCRIPT ON ME AND SAYS I HAVE TO PAY THEM BACK "$4, 500" DOLLARS BECAUSE THEY TOOK MY "EX SUPERVISORS" WORD OVER MINES, , "WOW" !!! ... SO, , IF YOU GET A JOB WORKING FOR ORKIN, , GOOD LUCK ... BUT DOCUMENT EVERYTHING !!! KEEP RECEIPTS, , BUY A SMALL DIGITAL TAPE RECORDER AND BRING IT WITH YOU IN THE OFFICE EVERYDAY HIDDEN OF COURSE ... TAPE THE CONVERSATIONS THAT YOU HAVE WITH YOUR "SUPERVISORS" OR "SECRETARIES", , ETC ... I MAY HAVE TOOK A "BIG HIT" RIGHT NOW, , BUT I HOPE MY STORY CAN SAVE SOME ONE ELSES JOB OR HELP YOU TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION ... THANK YOU FOR READING THIS ...

• Ha
    hatechrismoore Jul 13, 2009

Carmon Palifroni is an idiot and so is Chris Moore. Both need to be fired from Terminix. They are running south Florida into the gutter.