NorthStar Alarm Services Logo

NorthStar Alarm Services

Having problems with NorthStar Alarm Services?

+1 800 775 7827 (Customer Service)
+1 877 252 4720 (Get a Quote)
545 East University Parkway, Suite 500
Sat7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

deceptive practices

Northstar Alarm Services is a criminal activity. There, I said it. I dare them to challenge me. To my...

dishonest customer service reps

On January 28, 2013, I contacted a representative about a payoff for my mortgage. A representative said that...

fired from northstar collections for my disabilities

Hi Harpo Studios & Oprah, regretfully this will be my last email, my life in the past 24 hrs has been a book in itself. As I sit here writing listening to my new favorite music to keep me sane, Lindsey Stirling amazing violinist. in short version I was fired on 1/9/13, my son, Ashers 10th birthday. I worked for Northstar Location Services for 5 years. They lost Chase as a client due to the history of numerous complaints. This agency knew for a while they were gradually decreasing in paper to collect and continued to dwindle down little by little to an announcement as if they woke up and just received an email from Chase that they are pulling.

With that being said is why 2 weeks before Christmas they fired over 25 part timers calling one by one questioning schedules and bring up paper trails of write ups finding justifiable reasons to either force them to have no choice but to resign or be fired for a non logical reasons. Some qualified for unemployment others were denied. I had documents on file in human resources explaining because of medical conditions from a bulging disc in my upper spine and a small fracture in my neck unexplainable, unexplainable caused, so I have to start physical therapy, and can only work part time.

In addition I came back on maternity leave in Sept 2011 with doc notes stating because of my mental health and physical health I was limited to but not restricted to work as long as it is not above a certain amount of hours. They knew this and had no problem. I have no paper trail nor write ups to an over excessive extent to have justification to fire me.

So on 1/9/13 I was being harassed by one of my managers on the collections floor by his approach. I was told within that day to RE-FILL out a form that every end of month needs to be done by all collectors that are either handed in or collected by management. I informed him that I could not perform that task because I had a scheduled doc appt(my therapist) @ 2:30 and that my wrist really hurt that day to have to refill out a full month of Decembers daily log by hand. I have arthritis in my shoulders, elbows, and wrist. I have all proof of documents to support everything I am writing and so did Northstar HR.

My manager continued to harass me so I went to HR to tell some one. I was approached by the VP of HR and was told that those are really strong words and accusation, I said to her again I am being harassed so she asked what happened I informed her of the same as above. She began to twist and turn my words around in such a political way, she asked ” so what your admitting is that your manager asked you to do something which is my job to fill out a monthly roadmap which I did do and always do. Again some how the same manager has either lost misplaced mine again within just the last 3x in just the past 6months of 5 yrs of being here and have no write ups for it.

I advised human resources that I could not fill it out because I was done with my schedule for the day because of a doc appt and that my wrist were hurting that day to re hand fill out a form. The next morning I come in and was approached my another one of my mangers asking me to come to HR. I go in there and with a lady and manager. I was being terminated for insubordinate, for not doing what my manager asked of me and I refused and they even added on that day that I refused to take a Spanish call, and I did not take the call because I had to go to the bathroom.

So all they wanted to hear was that I refused take a Spanish call and I refused to refill out my roadmap on that specific day 1/8/13 because my wrist hurt. I went to go and correct the wording on the write up because it was invalid and false. The HR woman snatched it from under my hand and yelled at me that I cannot do that because that is there form. I informed them that I have no problem signing anything as long as its the truth and I needed a copy why I was being terminated and they refused said that they no longer needed my services. They refused to listen to me and began to become aggressive with there body language and words making up lies about and making my managers nod yes in agreement by telling them that they did witness and hear false lies.

I left that day with nothing, from that moment on that day came one event after event leading me to Memorial Hospital mental ward on my sons birthday. Its principle, you cant treat people like this and me. People say its collections, you can go anywhere tomorrow and get a job, go on un employment, which they will fight and I have been calling for the past 2 days and just go round and round on the message service. I’m not afraid to speak out the truth. I know I have a law suit and will pursue it. I left the hospital and walked 4 hours home with nothing, no money no cell ph no phone numbers memorized because the only other one is my fiancé and no service no money to pay bills.

As I sit here on my couch with ice on my legs from walking, and exhausted from life wanting to fill in every in between detail knowing I only have 2000 characters on Oprah email cuts it short for me. I will call the news, I will write letters I will post my story on Facebook, twitter, word of mouth because I have a voice and I don’t agree and will make a stand. I have written Oprah for about over a month almost everyday about me, my life, and family. ‘I’ve asked every time to please look at my Facebook page Justbcreative Byjustb. I still have the necktie I made for Oprah. I am taking a big risk but I am at my lowest point in life anyway.

My amazing fiancé of 5 years, we met at the same workplace and have been inseparable since so I lost my job but gained a lifetime friend, love, my #1 fan, he quit in October after 7 years of dedicating time as an employee and manager and Northstar to venture his own collection agency with 2 partners he called and honestly believed they were his friends, one being my 17month yr old sons god father quit within less than 30 days of commitment and signing contracts and walks off with out a warning without a reason. My fiancé did not quit did not give up struggled on with the other partner who soon gradually diminished too as off this week. I believed in him, because he has the ability to move mountains but had to pebbles to help. He turned around and went right back to Northstar because that’s all we know. He just started on Monday and by Wednesday they fire me.

I don’t want my job back I don’t want to work in collections a day in my life again. I’m drained emotionally, physically and mentally. I will continue to pursue my dream and goals because I have 3 kids and my fiancé that believe in me and I don’t want to let them down. I have talent from making to writing a book and that’s what puts a smile in my heart. Life isn’t fair, imp grateful i have my hearing, sight arms, and legs but one thing i have and we all have in common is deepest dark depression that can make or break you…

extra charges

I had a loan with another company for years paying a monthly payment. Then this company Nationstar mortgage wrote that I was behind in my monthly payments. No one told me that my loan was sold. So they wanted several months payment plus charges.
The company should be investagated for by the federal government.

• Th
    th!sman Aug 20, 2012

If your mortgage is not sold over to them write them a cease and desist letter, who are they to you anyway?!

deceptive practices

Beware of Northstar Alarm. Their contracts are very deceptive and their goal is to continually lock you into...

contract cancellation/misrepresentation

Like the numerous other complaints on this site about this company, I too was scammed by this business. The salesman misrepresented the contract terms including the contract length, the services provided, and that NorthStar cared about anything other then billing me. Customer Service exists for the sole purpose of telling customers NorthStar won't do anything to resolve your problems, read your contract. NorthStar will, consistently, lose as many notifications, letters of cancellation, and documentation of complaint as it takes to keep billing you and billing you and billing you. I have not read one single positive review about this company yet and now feel very, very foolish for not reviewing them two years ago. I thought the BBB logo was a sign of quality; it is not. NorthStar has no intention of resolving customer complaints and will continue to blithly respond to complaints with no resolution goal simply to reatin and "responsive" rating. I strongly recommend reporting a fraud alert to your bank or credit card to stop their fraudelent billing and cancellation practices. It is the only way I got them to stop stealing my money.

• Js
    J.Sam Jan 22, 2013

I'm having the same problem!

• Js
    J.Sam Jan 22, 2013

I have been trying to cancel this service after the three week of getting it. I see that they don't care about customer service. I did get a copy of my contract when they install it. I did know I had a three day graces period. Now I'm stuck in a 5 year contract. I explain to them about having family problem and we are not even using it and it don't even work after the 3rd day of 3rd day of install.It did do no good so now I will have to go to my bank to stop payment since they don't want to meet me half way.

• Mc
    mcsilver Apr 19, 2013

Did North Star alarm systems send you to a collection agency?

• Mi
    Michelle Stiverson Oct 13, 2015

Same problem for our family ! I read somewhere else that filing a fraud complaint with our credit union might work ! What did you do to resolve paying ?

• Yv
    Yvette Ward Manzelmann Jul 20, 2017

I can't believe they can get away with what they are doing. I signed a 3 year contract and I know when I signed up for and when it would expire. I called to cancel the service, in the month it was to expire, and I was told no you signed a 5 year contract. For starters I would NEVER sign a 5 year contract with anything but a car or a home. I told the representative that the contract had been fraudulently tampered with and I wanted to see what they had in writing. I said I could see how it was tampered with 36 month and 60 month both have a six in it. They just added the -0-. I demanded that a copy of what they say I signed to be mailed to me. As of today nothing has arrived which again is over a month ago. They are a bad company and they don't care about anything but to screw their customers. If you are reading this PLEASE BEWARE!

MARTY894 Jul 24, 2018

I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING A 5 YEAR SERVICE FROM NORTHSTAR. I WAS WRONG . IT WAS A CONTRACT FOR 5 YEARS.
    IF I CANCEL NOW IT WILL COST ME $3000.00 FOR EARLY OUT. ADT AND AT&T DIGITAL LIFE SECURITY SYSTEM WAS NO CANCELLATION FEES TO PAY.
    NORTHSTAR WAS WILLING TO ADD SOME OTHER ITEM TO MY SYSTEM AT A PRICE. I CALLED, I EMAILED, AND TEXTED. AND WOULD NOT CANCELL THE SERVICE. I AM AT THERE MERCY.

lying advertising director!

I also got ripped off by this company. The ADVERTISING DIRECTOR MICHAEL WALKER from Indianapolis came to my...

deceit in contract

Beware of Northstar Alarm Services. This company came door to door in our town offering a special price if...

contract cancellation

After waiting for our 36 month contract to be up for renewal, we decided to go with another alarm service. In calling to request cancellation of continued services, we were told that we needed to provide written cancellation and it would take 60 days for our payment to stop being deducted from our account. In this day in age where everything is so system generated, why the 60 day time frame to prepare our account to be cancelled. We waited out our 36 month agreement. We have paid every month on time, no questions asked, with little service provided. It is unbelievable that I will need to continue paying for services we are not using for an addition 2 months ($80.00)...and from the looks of things based on other reviews, it will be much longer since they will lose my fax and continue deducting our payment. Ridiculous!!!

• Gr
    Grant Suchotzky Oct 25, 2011

I completely agree. Our system hasn't even worked for 6 months. Come home the other night to the alarm going off. No police no phone calls nothing. Called Northstar to voice my concern and they said "yes it looks like your screen is let up". when I asked why they didn't call, they had no answer. They sent a service guy out to fix it and it still doesn't work. Northstar Alarm is a fraud.

cancelling contract

After providing 4 months notice to cancel monitoring service, this company has continued to debit my account for monthly monitoring fees and does not respond to numerous requests to resolve the issue. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. If they would steal money out of your bank account, you really don't want them "protecting your property". I will find every web page I can register a complaint and post to it.

anaismnorthstar Jun 23, 2011

This is Anais at NorthStar. First, I want to apologize profusely for the problems you have been having resolving this issue. If you could please contact me directly at 801.373.7827 ext. 100 or email me directly at [email protected], I will personally make sure to address the problem with our Customer Care Manager and see that we resolve it immediately.

Thank you in advance and I apologize again for any misunderstanding. We definitely want to make things right.

-Anais M.
    Marketing and Corporate Communications
    NorthStar Alarm
    801.373.7827 ext. 100
    [email protected]

• Do
    DON"T USE NORTHSTAR ALARM COMPANY Aug 04, 2011

I just want to follow-up and thank Mr. Moody for resolving this issue for me quickly. I wanted to wait and make sure the auto-pay was not continued before I felt that it was REALLY resolved..Mr. Moody's intervention brought this to a successful conclusion.

harrassment

I am receiving phone calls from Northstar Location Services for my Mother who does not live with me nor in the same state. We are financially linked in any way whatsoever. Regardless of what or why they are attempting to reach my Mother, it has no impact or relevance to my credit status and I consider it to be harrassment by being notified by these people for any reason that does not concern me directly. THey attempted to get contact information for my Mother, which I refused to offer. So apparantly they are trying to reach individuals by harrassing potential family members and THAT I will not stand for under any circumstances. The toll free number that called was [protected] Good Luck in addressing this.

• Oh
    oHIo 1 Nov 26, 2012

Yes, these callers are harassing...
    "Debt collecting" should be illegal; the only people truly involved are the debtor and the party/company that they entered the agreement with. (NOT a third party maggot/vulcher) Besides, once the debt collector starts calling, they signify that credit damage is already done and irreversible and that the debt is already written off by the company - so what does paying off a debt to a debt collector really afford anyone? (Especially for those in the worst financial condition in our society and those that are already in need)

• Th
    th!sman Dec 06, 2012

Debt collectors push you around if they sniff you don't know their game or more aptly your legal rights. So before you engage them to make any arrangement Google these and become an informed consumer, it will save you potential trouble in the future.
    1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
    2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
    3-Validation of debt (VOD), cease and desist (C&D), CMRRR
    4-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
    5-post your questions at debtorboards dot com if things get thick
    6-Settlement Offer Letter - very important don't pay anything without it.
    -If your state's SOL is expired the debt is noncollectable, period! That's why you
    -Never ever accept/agree/acknowledge you owe/own a debt. Per Federal law first demand a VOD. Use CMRRR (you can call but not recommended. Be sure to record the call)
    -VOD must be the original document with your signature on it, not a letterhead stating some amounts owed.
    -NEVER EVER confirm your your personal info. Tell them to mail whatever to the address on file.
    -if you legitimately owe a debt don't pay anything without a settlement offer letter.
    -mail checks with tracking No. or signature required, no electronic access to your bank ac. you will be cleaned out. Keep records for life.

TOO MANY CALLS, CALLS TO FRIENDS, WORK ETC
    -Send a C&D by CMRRR stating when, frequency and how they will contact you.
    -If you talk to a CA ALWAYS write down immediately, who called, where from, said what, why, when, what, i.e. everything. This is acceptable evidence in court.
    -If CA violate your rights each infraction is worth $1000 to you. Thus, use CMRRR and/or record all calls ->evidence is $$$ for you. No lawyer?, sue pro se, see #5 above

contract

I signed a contract with Northstar for 36 months at theedn of 36 momths I proceeded to cancel the contract, or so I thought. In there contract is a clause stateing if you do not notify them 3 months in advance they will extend your contract another 18 months. Its states cleary on my copy that it expired at 36mo. BEWARE they are trying to collect another 18 mo. which I offered to eve send there alarm system back

everything

North Star Alarm Company suckered me into signing a 3 year contract right after I was robbed. They told me I...

soliciting a senior citizen

On April 28th, 2008 a sales representative from Northstar Security, ignored the “no soliciting” signs on my mothers’ door, entered her home while her caregiver was out, and convinced her that she needed their product. She is an elderly woman with Alzheimer’s, and at the time was also recovering from a stroke. Later I discovered that she had signed this contract and gave the representative her personal banking information. She is on a fixed income and has been paying for this system for a full year when I found out. She not only cannot afford it, as soon as the representative left, she had no idea how to use it. Never one time has her system been turned on in the years she’s had it! She said that the representative told her it was “free”. She did not understand the terms of the contract when she signed and still gave him banking information. The “no soliciting” sign was put on her door for her protection and to prevent sales people from doing exactly what their salesman did; take advantage of her. My brothers and I made numerous phone calls and did exactly what they said and sent a cancellation request letter (more that once) and they rejected it. Now they have sold her debt to Hillcrest Davidson collections agency that has been calling and harassing her with threats to put a lein on her house. She is 79 years old and these calls are confusing and upsetting her.

fraud

signed a contract and even sent in several statements telling them i am cancelling when contract is up. Even got a call from their representative and asked me why i was wanting to cancel. Now they tell me that i had to cancel 60 days prior and tell me that they have no records of me doing that...i did 120 days 90 days and 60 days. Even wrote on my checks to cancel ..Now they try to extend me another 18 months..I will not pay and hope others email me and will take action against this kind of fraud...They email me saying that they did not know i wanted to cancel. Its not my fault their people did not do their job...

dishonest sales practice

This company is a fraud. The salesman used a bait and switch teqnique to get us locked into a 5 yr contract...

contract/customer service

I am completely disgusted with this company and their "customer service"! Two years ago my parents, who are...

fraud alert

I purchased a corporation from this company for $10, 000 back in March/2009 and it was due to arrive at my office in 45-60 days as per our written contract and if it didn't i would recieve a full refund. The Corporation or the refund never arrived and it is 8 mths. later.

falsification of services

NorthStar Alarm Systems charged for services not rendered. The Alarm System cannot work without a telephone...

harassment

I'm unemployed and my husband is on SSI, so why they keep trying to reach me ( Cellphone ) is beyond my...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices