Resolved Nestle Coffee-mate Creamerchange in formula - nasty taste

R Review updated:

Do not buy nestle coffee-mate creamer!!! Anyone using nestle coffee-mate creamer, beware! After purchasing french vanilla and hazelnut, I found the flavors to be different - not very good at all. I communicated this with the company, who informed me that "formula" changes were made to "balance the ingredients." no one bothered doing a taste test. Their response was that they were "trying to resolve the problem."
Do not buy nestle coffee-mate! If they see their sales drop, they may do something.

• Zo
    Zoe225 Jan 04, 2009

I agree. I have been drinking Coffee Mate Vanilla Creamer everyday for the past 10 years. I am so upset with the new flavor. It tastes very strange...almost as if the coffee has been diluted. It is also very foamy now, it was neverl like that before. I also wrote to Nestle to complain and received the same response. I hope they fix the formula quickly! I no longer buy the creamer and have switched to International Delight, but it's not as good as the Coffee Mate used to be.

• Ji
    Jim K Jan 23, 2009

Thank you SO much to the two previous posters! I thought I was losing my mind - I also use (or at least USED to use) the Cofeemate Hazelnut creamer. I noticed about a month or so ago that my coffee tasted HORRIBLE. I thought it was the coffee grounds. Nestle - if you're reading this, you can count me as a dissatisfied consumer who is no longer purchasing your product. IT'S ***GROSS***.

• Ge
    gene Jan 23, 2009

Fat Free:
    WATER,
    CORN SYRUP SOLIDS,
    PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL (adds a trivial amount of fat),
    AND LESS THEN 2% OF SUGAR,

SALT,
    CELLULOSE GEL,
    CELLULOSE GUM

Definitely NOT the same

I’m Mixing the Powered Form Fat Free with Water. It tastes close the old because it still has CORN SYRUP SOLIDS in it. Can't wait for Nestle to correct the PROBLEM.

• Me
    mercedes Jan 26, 2009

I agree with all of you. the regular vanilla creamer is disgusting it has o trans fat on the bottle know. the taste is so different and you cant find the regular no where I cant drink it in my coffee. I use the other brand internationals delight it taste better then the new french vanilla coffee mate, its better then nothing.

• Ge
    gene Jan 30, 2009

January 26, 2009

Dear Mr.********

Thank you for contacting Nestlé® Coffee-mate® Non-Dairy Creamer regarding the difference in taste that you noticed. We appreciate that you took the time to let us know about your experience. Your feedback plays an integral role in our ongoing efforts to further improve our products and services.

We recently made a change to our formula for Coffee-mate Liquid Original that was based on capabilities at our new factory. However, we soon realized there was an unintended change to the taste.

We quickly put all our resources behind resolving this issue and have corrected the formula to more closely match the flavor you were accustomed to. The interim, most current formulation will have Sell By dates beginning with 3/5/09 and is very similar to the original formula. You may want to watch for those codes to appear soon at your local retailer.

We know that you want the old formula back and the good news is that beginning in late March or early April, you'll see the regular, original formula, Coffee-mate liquid return to your retailers' shelves. (We do not yet have date codes available to share.) The date is yet to be determined for the FF and Lite formulas.

You are a valued customer and we feel confident that you will be completely satisfied with our product in the future. Please provide us with your complete mailing address so we can send a letter via regular mail containing a full value coupon towards a future purchase.

We appreciate your patience and we feel extremely lucky to have passionate Coffee-mate customers like you. We thank you for your loyalty and hope you'll visit our website often for latest information on Nestlé products and promotions.

Sincerely,
    Beverly Watson
    Consumer Response Representative

• Mo
    montysgrl Feb 14, 2009

I too found my coffemate fat free hazelnut undrinkable, what a shock to my system after drink at least 3 cups a day since it came out. I won't buy it anymore. They will loose 300.00 a yr on me alone. My coffee is too important to ruin. I was good while it lasted but I've had to move on.
    LM summerville sc

• So
    socal Feb 26, 2009

Im so glad I saw this forum, I also thought it was me, its totally undrinkable why would you change a perfect formula?
    I dont like internation delight creamers, and thats what this tastes like now!!

• Li
    Linda Raymond Mar 02, 2009

Thank you to everyone who posted on this website. I have used Coffee-Mate Original Fat-Free Creamer for years and loved the taste, as well as the fact it is so low-cal with no fat grams. For the past couple months, I have consistently noticed a sour, bitter taste and thought it was the filtered water I was using, knowing that the creamer was fresh. What a relief to know this is not my imagination! I SO miss good coffee throughout my work day and am glad the company is addressing the issue.

• Su
    Susan K. Mar 14, 2009

March 14, 2009
    I thought the different taste was because of my medication, and after reading the comments made above, I know it's the new Coffee-mate!
    I am going to change to another brand until Coffee-mate goes back to the way it was. The new Coffee-mate is terrible and I can't wait until the original Creme Brulee returns! And yes, I too miss GOOD coffee first thing in the morning. Susan K.

• Ln
    lnx_fan Mar 18, 2009

I am in total agreement with you guys. What else I found was that when I don't drink my coffee w/in 30-minutes, it seems to congeal as well - like a gritty thin pancake batter. Yuck! I so hope they bring back the old formula. I want my French Vanilla back!

• Im
    ImpiousAngell Mar 18, 2009

GREAT NEWS! THEY ARE FINALLY CHANGING THE FORMULA BACK!! I e-mailed Nestle and complained about the taste and they e-mailed once to say OOPS sorry we changed the formula, we know it sucks, we're changing it back and we'll let you know when we change it back. SO I got an e-mail yesterday saying THEY HAVE CHANGED THE FRENCH VANILLA 32 OZ CONTAINERS BACK TO THE ORIGINAL YUMMY FORMULA AND TO LOOK FOR BEST BY DATES OF MAY 30 2009 OR LATER. They are still in the process of changing the 16 oz and the 64 oz though. Just thought I would let everyone know...

elliemae Mar 21, 2009

THANK YOU for the info, ImpiousAngell. I am counting the days until the original formula is back on the shelves where I live. For now, I am making do with International Delights.

I also contacted Nestle last week about how awful their new formula tastes, and received coupons from them for a couple free bottles. I can't wait to enjoy my morning coffee again...

• Ka
    Karen Mar 22, 2009

I have wasted so much money on CoffeeMate in the last few weeks trying to get my hands on a bottle that doesn't taste like sewer. I've been buying International Delight, but holy moly that stuff isn't much better and it makes my stomach upset. I am so miserable without my CoffeeMate Cinnamon Vanilla.

• Ad
    addicted_to_Hazelnut Mar 25, 2009

Would you all believe that I just emailed Nestle yesterday regarding the same complaint...I'm so glad I googled it and found this forum today..
    I noticed several months ago that some of their products had new labeling. My absolute favorite for YEARS: Fat Free Hazelnut was still in the older packaging.(maybe due to geographic location-Washington) At any rate, I am a hard core coffee w/ FF Hazelnut drinker. My husband and I drink at LEAST one every other day. I take it everywhere I'll have to drink coffee...when I study late at the diner, when I go on vacations, holidays at the relatives..etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Well, for someone that drinks this much- I nearly spit it out when I took my first swig of coffee...what the ??. So, I rounded up the little kids (I have 5) and off the store we went. I was SURE they had changed the formula and wanted to see if I was correct. Well, I had the same findings as the previous poster, they changed it quite a bit. I've been searching all the local grocery stores for some more "old" packaging..no luck. I've even tried to *like* the new kind, but it is AWFUL!!! I have a horrible bitter beer face every drink I take. I am SOOOO disappointed. I guess I'm glad to hear that they are switching back, but I'm wondering when that will hit our stores out here in Washington. It will be interesting to hear what, or if, they reply to me...I'm also miserable without my Fat Free Hazelnut CoffeeMate Creamer!

• Ho
    Holly Mar 25, 2009

hi...I too contacted the company regarding the horrible taste of my french vanilla. I can't even drink my coffee and have been going to Starbucks almost every morning (very expensive) but my morning java is very important!

I thought about switching to International Delight, however, I really do not like the taste of their creamers. I really do hope that Nestle's returns all flavors to their original formula! If not they will lose a lot of loyal customers.

Why would you mess with a good thing??

debbie Mar 26, 2009

I have used the FF Hazelnut for 10 years and absolutly hate the new formula. I just sent a complaint to Nestle and then found this. I'm glad to know it's not just me and I hope they change it back. Does anyone know any other products thast are better?

• Au
    auntcat50 Mar 29, 2009

I too have been drinking Fat Free Hazelnut for ~ 5 years. Two weeks ago I noticed the change and thought it was me. Off I go to the store to buy Regular Hazelnut. Not as bad but, not the same. After that I switched to Irish Cream (which I used to drink) and even that's changed. I have to have my Fat Free Hazelnut and can't wait till they go back to the old formula. I'm so glad I found this Forum. By-the-way, forget International Delight. I can't even stand the smell!

• Le
    Lenora Mar 30, 2009

Why does the liquid coffee mate feel like plastic when it dries?

• So
    socal Mar 30, 2009

I had posted earlier, and also contacted Nestle, they told me they were soon to be reverting back to a formula close to the old one, I dont know about everyone else but I dont want close i want exact!!
    I decided to experiment and for those who live on the East coast and have Hannaford supermarket chain available you have to try their store brand hazelnut creamer I was so excited!! it tastes exactly like the old Nestle and its much cheaper apparently its made by Hood
    Im going to go tothe other supermarket chains around here and see if their own brand is good also,
    Nestles other response was to mail me coupons !!now why would I want coupons for something I hate!!

• Nc
    N Campbell Mar 31, 2009

Add me to the list of long-time FF Hazelnut creamer consumers who's run into the effects of this recent formula change. It was soooo nasty tasting I had to Google to see if I was imagining it. Don't they taste test their formula changes?!? It's dreadful now.

I'm looking forward to seeing the problem fixed sometime soon. The shame of it is that I have 2 large containers of the nasty stuff that will go to waste.

• Li
    Lisag29 Apr 01, 2009

I thought I searched all over the net for something about this and couldn't find anything. I guess I was using the wrong search words. I finally emailed Nestle about it. I really thought I was going crazy. I even bought new coffee thinking my old coffee was "old" but it didn't help. I'm to the point where I drink about 1/2 cup in the morning and that's it. I was sooo happy to get a response from them telling me that I wasn't crazy (they did change the formula) and better that they'll be changing it back. Anxiously awaiting my old creamer...

• Kr
    Kristi Apr 05, 2009

I am so glad its not all in my head!! I thought I was just losing my taste for coffee. Around the holidays I always stock up on the gingerbread creamer. I love it!! When I finally used up my last bottle about the middle of February I purchased a bottle of the Vanilla Chia Spice. I noticed the new packaging and thought it looked nice.
    The flavor however... yuc, talk about nasty! It's that bitter aftertaste, like artifical sweetner gone bad. I thought it must be me and then bought a bottle of Cinnamon vanilla cream. Same awful taste. I too have tried all the other creamers on the market and nothing compares. I dont enjoy having my coffee in the morning anymore and have been drinking tea. This makes me sad, I miss my morning rituals. I really hope Nestle gets the message and returns to their original formulas on all of their creamers not just a few. What a poor marketing decision on their part. They may be saving a few bucks on production but I'm sure it will cost them in the long run if they keep thier new formula as is. I know I wont buy it again.

• Mi
    Mike Apr 10, 2009

I concur with everyone; the new formula tastes horrible.
    I have not purchased Cinnamon Vanilla (my favorite) in over a month. I used to drink 1.5 large bottles a week. In the interim (or will it be permanent) I've tried Lucerne and International brands, both are Ok but not as good as the old formula Cinn-Van.

Nestle; you made a blunder - fix it or lose your most loyal, best revenue customers.

• Le
    Lee Apr 12, 2009

I too emailed Nestle months ago and was told they had changed the formula. I got a letter last week from Nestle telling me that the nasty taste problem was resolved and that the new product was on the way the retailer and that I should look for product with expiration date of June 17, 2009 and beyond. I checked in the grocery yesterday and the expiration dates were still in May so I guess the changed stuff has not arrived yet at the stores. Not sure if it differs depending on the state you live in but I live in north Florida. I cannot wait to get the old formula back!!

• Lo
    loyolala Apr 12, 2009

NEstle had replace all food scientists in their laboritories with indians on H1B visa. since indian pallette less refined than American the difference in taste was not noted as being bad to american sensibility.
    Now they hire american team again to fix taste up, new version still not like old, but it do not have the nasty afterfeel anymore and the mouthfeel has been return. many companies realize indian are not like american in many way from customer service to company loyal, just there for paycheck/greencards.

Denise Apr 14, 2009

I, too, have went round and round with Nestle after noticing a few months back that my favorite daily addiction of Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Mate was absolutely undrinkable due to a disgusting bitter aftertaste. I've since switched brands but did buy two small bottles of other Coffee Mate flavors yesterday, couldn't find Chocolate Raspberry, even though my refrigerator still holds many undrinkable, expired bottles. Unfortunately the two new bottles continue to have the bitter aftertaste. I, too, spent a fortune on Coffee Mate regularly only to have it ruined with nothing to fill the void. I miss my addiction terribly!

• Co
    coffeedrinker Apr 15, 2009

I too am glad to find all of these postings! I have been using the FF Hazelnut creamer for many years. The last couple of months I had found that the creamer tasted like chemical. I thought I had possibly purchased a bad batch from one of my local stores so purchased another at a different store. Still very gross! I also noticed that the closure caps on the new formula containers do not close that well. I have purchased 3-4 of the large creamers and feel that I have wasted my money. I have now switched to the Lucerne Hazelnut brand. It does not come in Fat Free but the trade-off of actually enjoying my coffee in the morning is worth the extra fat!

Hopefully the Coffee-Mate will solve this problem soon and get the original formula back in stores. They must realized that they are loosing a lot of loyal customers.

• Ci
    CiCi318 Apr 18, 2009

Okay - so I tossed an almost full bag of coffee thinking that was the problem, go to the store and buy another bag only to find it taste horrible as well. It was only then I realized it had to be the creamer. This taste like something they would serve military personnel in a war zone (it might actually take their mind off the war it's so bad LOL) I wrote the company and was sent free coupons, but like someone else said - why would I want something that taste like this - free or not! I can' t imagine what they were thinking - surely they had people taste the stuff before replacing, what I would think, is one of their best selling products. It seems thinner than the old too, so maybe it was an economical decision more that really trying to "balance the taste of the ingredients" - whatever that means.

• Sm
    smd Apr 21, 2009

I agree totally. I thought it was just me, but those creamers that used to be my favorites now taste REALLY bad.

• Br
    Brian in Chino, CA. May 05, 2009

What a bummer, heh? On top of the big banks yanking our life savings / plans away, on top of the huge housing bubble **pop**, on top of a totally hijacked economy, I get to start out my day with a crappy cup of coffee. I refuse to hold onto hope that the taste will come back. I am no longer disallusioned, rather I am forced to change. Good luck to you all!

Denise May 19, 2009

Update from my post 34 days ago. Ventured out today with my second free coupon sent from Nestle for Coffee-Mate to try yet again to see if my beloved Chocolate Raspberry had returned to a drinkable version. My first hopeful clue was new packaging, so I bought the one bottle (I used to buy four at a time) and must say I am shockingly pleased to announce that I do believe they have returned to the original version. My tastebuds are still afraid of finding the bitter aftertaste, but I do believe it's been banished. After six months of misery and missing my Chocolate Raspberry, summer iced coffees are looking up again. Am very surprised someone actually listened, though it took quite a while to get it right again. Thank you Nestle for listening to your loyal supporters and please leave the recipe alone from here on out.

• Da
    Dallas May 26, 2009

Months ago I saw new packaging for the Hazelnut creamer. The taste was horrible. There were still bottles of the old packaging on the shelves. So I bought that and it tasted fine. Eventually all of the old packaging disappeared along with the good taste. I too thought it was me that noticed the bad taste. Glad to hear others felt the same. I have gone back to half and half.

• Do
    Dottie Herman Jun 24, 2009

The cap continually leaks after pouring and drips on counter and in fridge.

ellie mae Jun 27, 2009

Denise, I'm glad you've gotten the good stuff back where you live. No such luck here in Colorado yet. What was different with the packaging so I can be on the lookout for it?

Every morning when I pour my coffee and know it STILL doesn't taste right, the whole Coffee-mate thing annoys me all over again. For now, I'll make do with half and half...

• Do
    DONNA MARIE Mar 01, 2010

RETURN THE PRODUCT TO YOUR STORE THEY WILL REIMBURSE YOU IT NASTY

• Cm
    CMAC6 Mar 08, 2010

So frustrating! I have been lucky enough to find the old formula at our King Soopers (Kroger) here in Colorado a few times. Of course, I bought a ton...but now it's gone. Everytime I've found it with a foil seal under the cap, it's the old stuff. If it has the plastic pull off tab, it's the new toxic formula.

• Su
    Susan on the West Coast Mar 11, 2010

I'm so glad to know I'm not crazy. Hazelnut creamer was a staple at our house for years (including emergency runs to the store at night if we were out) until last January when I went back to using it when all the Peppermint Mocha (I had stockpiled it) was gone. I immediately noticed the flavor change and haven't had it since. I'm nearly inconsolable about this. And NOW, imagine my excitement to find that Peppermint Mocha is year-round (be still my heart!) only to find that IT tastes different, too! What the heck, Nestle? If you are trying to use cheaper ingredients, just charge me more. If you are trying to make it "healthier" don't bother - I'll run an extra mile each week and leave the butter off my toast for the rest of my life. My morning coffee is next to God and you've screwed it up!

• Ms
    MSully Mar 19, 2010

To change the subject only slightly, my concern is with the regular old powder coffee mate - and this actually goes back several years. When I first started using it sometime in the '70s, it had a very rich taste that was very unique to the brand - and then some years back, I noticed that it lost that very rich and creamy taste. I have basically been resigned to live with it, but now I am curious if anyone else has had this experience? And maybe - just maybe - we can get that changed back too! Not holding my breath however.

ellenm15 Dec 20, 2010

The Hazelnut powdered Coffee-Mate is just horrible. I thought it was the coffee. It tastes like something you never would drink. How can they make something so bad. It's not just me, I had other people taste it and they had to spit it out. UGH!!!

NoPlanB Mar 25, 2011

It's now March 2011 and all these complaints which began apx 2 years ago we're slightly under my radar. But for maybe the last 6 months I've been subconsciouly aware that the forumla for FF French Vanilla has been quite thin. Figured it was a slick trick by Nestle to get us to use more & therefore buy more. I also seem to have more problem getting my cup of coffee to taste just right. Been thinking it's me not being consistent with how much coffee I put in the coffee maker and complicated by a fair amount coffee brand switching. After reading these comments I now believe my dissatisfaction in large part is with the CM Liquid creamer.

Next trip to the store were picking up a bottle of International delight and good old half & half . If we decide half & half is the way to go (like someone above mentioned) I'll just run an extra mile.