Complaints & Reviews

Paid for furniture which never arrived

I bought furniture 6 months ago for a total of €11, 000.00 from MRI to go into an apartment and it has never been delivered and they do not reply to any of my notes sent to MRI Aftersales Service.

izzy Aug 20, 2009

If you paid by credit card, see if they will refund the money to you. Where did you buy.

• Ki
    Kitkat Aug 24, 2009

Unfortunately MRI are far too crafty and too much time has passed now for you to claim on your credit card. We also had the misfortune of purchasing our furniture from them for both apartments we had purchased. One set was delivered but what a disaster not what we had ordered at all - we purchased for €13K and what we got probably would have cost €3K - absolutely disgusting. Of course no-one acknowledges phone calls, emails, letters, faxes and to try and get a name is next to impossible. We still await delivery of the second batch - we do not hold out much hope. When we do manage to get through to someone at MRI they are so aggressive and refuse to put us through to anyone who can help instead telling us that all queries should be emailed! Frustration isn't the word.

• Br
    breathnach Sep 20, 2009

I had the same problem. It took 9 months and multiple phone-calls/emails to finally get a name of someone responsible for the furniture packages. Try emailing variations of 'Wendy Mc Anthony' at variations of 'MRI/macanthonyrealty.com' etc, etc, then keep emailling ad infinitum. It may now be too late, as they seem to have pulled out of many countries, but it worked for me!
    DB

• Al
    alan Marwick Oct 23, 2009

i Also bought furniture from these cowboys almost 8 months ago all paid for and am still waiting, they do not reply to e-mails, so a loss as what to do next

AnneC Mar 21, 2010

I believe the Marbella Office has gone into liquidation. Can anyone verify this? We paid over 15, 000 euros for our furniture package and now that our apartment in Cyprus is completed wanted to order the goods. However, over the last two weeks, I have been able to phone (number not available) and e-mails not answered. How do we get onto the Creditors' list?

Any help would be appreciated.

Anne

CAPE VERDE

purchase of furniture package with mri for villa verde, paid for in sept/oct 08 and have not been given installation date or delivery date at present getting no reply from e mails or letters sent . any one in the same situation please contact me [protected]

• As
    A.Soleas1 Oct 25, 2009

If you are still in this position of not receiving your furniture pack which I am as well we are contacting bbc watchdog at the moment. Due to the late completiong of our apts we ave since been told that the furniture packs we paid for at £5, ooo each have become expired. This is apparently in terms and conditions that I have never seen. Laughable isn't it if it wasn't so distressing.

• Se
    Sean J K Jan 21, 2011

Pure scam. MRI are as dodgy as they come. The Solrs in Cape Verde are just as bad. I have wrote to them on numerous occasions but as you can guess there was no reply, except for an email advising that we were obliged to transfer the remainder of the money or we were in breach of our contract, despite the fact they MRI have breached their contract by delaying completion of apartments for over 3 yrs.

Money scam

I've recently (August 2008) returned from a viewing trip to Bulgaria with MRI Overseas Property and I feel like I've been hustled. I was referred to MRI by a friend so I was expecting that it would be a reasonably comfortable experience.

I called MRI and had a professional and pleasant discussion with them to organise a trip to Bansko to look at some skiing property. The lady who helped organise the trip was very friendly and helpful, she organised flights and arranged for me to be met at the airport in Sofia. Notes of my budget and expectations were recorded and passed on specifically the requested I made about a cooling off period after the visit.

I arrived in Sofia and while there was nobody there initially to meet me I was not to worried I'm used to travelling on my own and so I'd made sure my mobile would work in Bulgaria and took contact details and telephone numbers fo the person I was supposed to be meeting. I called the lady back explaining that nobody was here to meet me, she made some enquiries and 30 minutes later a friendly Bulgarian man turned up with an MRI folder. We waited for two other people on a later flight and then set off for Bansko. So far so good.

After the trip I was delighted to be checked into the Kempinski Hotel. We were greeted by our MRI host (the salesman) for the weekend and taken to a nearby traditional restaurant for a meal. The meal was fantastic and soon we returned to the hotel having agreed to meet up after breakfast.

On Saturday morning the the salesman (Alan) went through the notes with me and explained that he had a bit of an issue with the fact that I had requested a cooling off period and that MRI was not into the business of subsidising peoples weekend trips away. I explained that I was serious about buying a place and that I'd rather be with my family. We discussed some figures and what I was looking for and I felt comfortable that we'd both been upfront and honest with each other so I was looking forward to a productive day.

Around lunch time we set off to view some properties and we (the other guys joined us) saw a number of properties near the kempinski to illustrate the poor quality of construction and the general chaos of this area. We were also shown the new Pirun appartments, the show home was closed and there was nobody to greet us or explain which appartments were available. We drove a bit more and headed out to 'the valley'. Now in the morning we were told about the valley being a winderful investment opportunity because of the golf courses being built in that area. This we were told meant a double income of rental (summer for golf, and winter for skiing). It was during this time I started to lose interest and confidence. I thought I'd been clear that I was after a ski property but here I was being shown golf appartments. In fact MRI built property projects. I was told that these sales guys had convinced many investors to buy in this area as it was bound to be a real solid investment. It was slightly intimidating, if these other people had bought multiple properties why would I doubt them!

After a stop for lunch I was pleased to be seperated from Alan and the other guys, I new my dispondent attitude by this time was becoming a risk for Alan to get his sale (later I was told by the Alan that I'd been rude). So another sales rep (Dave) met me and we had another frank talk. Now I'm normally quite patient but by this time I explained that I wasn't really here for golf. Anyway I was shown another few golf places (yet more MRI builds) and given a hard sell that this one appartment block would be a sure winner because it was on the main road before you arrive into Bansko. Great! Not near the slopes, the pretty town of Bansko, in the valley. The best I could compare it to was a travel lodge. We headed into another small village 'Razlog'. Now at this point I'd not been in Bansko village. In fact it seemed that we'd been encouraged away from the centre. The Kempinski is a good 20 minutes walk from the Bansko village centre so it wasn't until Sunday I got to see how wonderfully pretty it is. So as you can understand by mid afternoon Saturday after seeing a few golf places Razlog had some character, not much but some. Dave left me to myself to ponder and walk around. I met up a little while later and explained that I was having a problem accepting the golf based Valley appartments becuase it was not what I was expecting from the trip and needed a change of mindset. I asked to go up the valley to the area where there was more construction, to explore that area (I later was told that this area, actually within the golf park, was being developed by a developer that owed MRI a lot of money) so that's why we drove back to Bansko. We drove around some more properties in the chaotic area and I was disuaded from this area as a bad investment. I asked if there were more executive areas, nice areas, since I didn't mind paying a bit more than the going rate for something nice. By this time I was begining to think I'd wasted a weekend away from my family. These guys were clearly trying to push the MRI properties, they even explained that they had quotas to limit the number of properties they could sell to any individual becuase of the queue of other visitors due to arrive in Bansko. It was Dave's last day in Bansko and he left me at the hotel around 4 or 5pm.

Disillusioned I surfed the web. Not believing that my friend would have bought something that I'd been shown. I made a few calls and spoke to a local lady (Vanya) who agreed to meet me in 30 minutes or so and show me round some properties. Now by this time I felt intimidated by MRI and actually felt the need to ask Vanya to meet me somewhere other than the kempinski. You see MRI had several salesmen floating around on the 1st floor, the sales director was there and other customers, it was all very exclusive, but I felt the need to hide contacting another agency. So I met Vanya and she took me to see a fantastic set of appartments in the St Ivan area, a short drive from the gondola, up the Pirin Mountain with wonderful views of the village and surrounding area. This set of appartments was amazing. All I could say after the previous hours with MRI was WOW. I could believe that this appartment block would be something credible, something I could actually buy. We headed back to Vanya's office and had some discussions abuot prices and schedules. She was the opposite of pushy, let me know what schedule you would like, I'll make a discount for you (which worked out at around 1250 euro / m2). I walked into the village and had some thoughts about how to handle MRI the next day. I mentionned to the two guys I'd previous spemt some time with and they'd agreed to buy something for a quick turn-around, I'd mentioned I'd been to see something else and was now convinced that MRI were taking us for suckers.

I was apprehensive about meeting Alan in the morning, but sure enough I met him around 10am. We exchanged some feedback about Saturday and I was clear that I felt like I'd been taken for a run and that I was not here to look at golf places and that I understood that MRI had their own properties to sell but that I was not here for that. I was confronted with the "we've put you up in the Kempinski and taken you to lunch" and that I was not playing fair. They also found out that I'd met with Vanya which annoyed them, "did I not trust them", "why did I go behind their backs", "they did not pay for my trip for me to meet other agents". I exchanged a few harsh truths with Alan at which point he brought Sales Director (Malcolm) into speak to me to difuse the situation. I explained that I was not here to fight, that I was here to buy a place and that I'd felt like I'd been messed around. We agreed to put the past behind us and have a look at some places in Bansko. Now it felt like the tables had turned, that these guys were now trying to help me find a place I wanted. They found a place near the gondolas that looked interesting, they arranged to meet with the developer so I could get inside the building. Brilliant, some progress at last.

Alan and I walked round to this building to meet the developer. He turned up to meet us and tried to take us inside one of the three blocks. Now the developer guy did not speak english and Alan did not speak Bulgarian. I had been told that the appartment was in Block 1 and the developer guy was showing us Block 3. Alan called him a useless #@&$% and walked off (now who's rude!) towards Block 1. To be fair Alan was really trying to show me the right appartment but didn;t have the support from his team to work out which appartment was the correct one. I was told that the appartment should be 88.25 m2 facing up the mountain. We found an appartment that was at most 68m2 including balconies. So the interesting 1450 euro / m2 became a less interesting 1750 euro / m2. I was shown first floor up the mountain. Great! Despite the 68m2 I could see this as an investment worth making. I asked if Alan was sure it was 88m2 and if he was sure it was 1st floor. The numbering didn't seem logical for it to be on the first floor.

We returned to the Kempinski and I asked to see the floor plans so I could get confirmation of the floor area and that the appartment was indeed the one I'd physically seen. An hour or so later Malcolm and Alan had produced these plans but it did not include the one I was supposedly buying. The plans I was seeing were for 1st and second floors and did not include my appartment. So here we are Sunday evening and I've seen something that could work but I've got reservations about it being the right appartment. MRI were eager to take money off me and started offering me some extensions to the 10 day limit, offered me a 72 hours refundable deposit. The solictor was in the building (convieniently) and I was genuinely interested so I agreed that I'd put down the 3000 euro refundable deposit subject to 72 hours cooling off, and the confirmation of appartment location, and a draft copy of the Private Purchase Contract. I decided not to use the legal team provided by MRI, it all seemed too easy.

I returned to the UK all excited and 3000 euro lighter. I awaited for the plans and PPC. The plans were sent through on the Tuesday and not the Monday as promised. The floor area was about 64 m2 according to the plans and I exchanged a few emails with MRI trying to understand where the 14.25 m2 of communal area was located. The appartment faced a different way to the one I had been shown and was now on the 3rd floor. I looked closer at the plans and the shape of teh building corresponded better with Block 3 than Block 1. On the Wednesday I asked for further confirmation that the appartment was in Block 1 or 3. I had no reply but was still interested. I'd not yet receievd the PPC and I was still unconvinced of the location of the appartment. The email went cold. I copied Malcolm and the regional sales manager, but no reply! By Friday I phoned the contact centre and spoke to a lady who was in a priveledged position to help me becuase her team had 'special access' to Darragh MacAnthony and the Sales Director Malcolm. I explained that I'd lost interest and confidence that MRI knew which appartment it was selling me and that I wanted my refund based on our agreement. That was last week now and I've not yet heard anything. I contacted the legal guys 'legal-independent' as well and again I've heard nothing. So I feel like I've been hustled and wanted to write this hoping that it will help someone else avoid making the same mistake of using MRI Overseas Property.

• Pj
    pjmet Dec 24, 2009

Wow. Me and my parents have been scammed too. In 2006 we went to spain with MRI to look at property in Almiramar Spain. We were told that the development was almost sold out and that we needed to put our deposit in right away in order to secure the price. We were also promised that they would allow us to sell the units after we had the units in contract and paid the deposit. So long story short we put our deposit in of 100, 000 euros. Then we immediately ask to put the unit back on the market for what they promised buyers were buying the units for. Then MRI came back and said that we had to wait 6 months before we could actually sell our contracts. (This was never disclosed until after we wired our deposit for the units) By the time 6 months ended the market had changed completely and there were no more buyers. The story gets worse from here. We then were forced to purchase the units when the units were completed. We were also told when we put the deposit money down that if we were not able to sell them that we were for sure going to be able finance the properties and rent them out. By the time the units were completed the property had fallen to half the price we secured with our deposit. Now in order to finance the properties that we paid a 100, 000 euro deposit on we needed to come up with another 150, 000 euros otherwise we could not get a loan because the value dropped by so much. We have begged for our money back and ask for help many times from the local attorney's that are handling the development. They are now wanting us to come up with more money or they are going to take legal action to me and my parents for not fulfilling the contract..

Has anyone had any luck with a class action against MRI??? THANKS FOR THE HELP

• Cp
    CPC Holding Jun 29, 2011

Hi,

I'm not trying to Spam this post or anything I hasten to add it's just that I work for a company called CPC Holding.

My name's Samantha Roberts and CPC Holding is the company, we help throughout the UK and have recently had an enquiry about MRI here in the office which led to a good bit of research and it being added to our (very long) list of problem companies.

It seems that we're able to help in a lot of instances and I spoke to my boss and anyone who gives us a ring and quotes the complaints board we are prepared to give you guys a free no obiligation consultation...

I've been looking at the mess some of the people are in and it quite simply infuriates me.

It's our job to solve problems abroad and I think that there's a lot of members on here that we can help.

The company was formed out of being disgusted at the way some people have been treated in the past and how so many people feel lost in a minefield.

We spend everyday campaigning for clients and helping in any way we can. if anyone wants to ring us you're more than welcome to just have a chat because I can imagine a lot of people are really upset. 01913782389.

www.cpcholding.co.uk

I truly hope we can help some of you.

Sam

Fraud about Property in Italy

As a lot of you people in here I guess we were really screwed by MRI. We went to Calabria/Pizzo in march...

Italy - Sunset Tropea Phase II

Went on an inspection trip in August 2007, saw the plot for a 1 bed apartment (Sunset Tropea Phase II - Italy), I paid about 40k Euro for the deposit. Last week finally got the call to say no work has started (is supposed to be completed in July 2009). I couldn't make the meeting which was on Saturday 13 June and have heard nothing since and today came across this site which has now got me really worried! I had an insurance policy for the deposit which I thought I would get back as they work hasn't started and will not be complete, but my Italian lawyer has told me that 'the system of Bank guarantee of security bond does not exist in Italy' and the insurance on covers me if the developer goes bankrupt and the deposit was paid to the develop back in May 2008. Has any else had issues in Italy with MRI?

Any and all help appreciated.

• Ka
    Kai-Roger Jul 14, 2009

Hi,
    Almost the same happened to me in Pizzo, just a few miles from where you bought. We paid 53.000 Euros in deposit last easter. We didn't hear anything until january this year, when I called them to get status on project. Then I was told that they have pulled out of all project in Italy several months ago...

I asked now what, and was told that I was on my own, because the contract was with the constructor. They said that they would try to help me anyway. Called me the day after and said that they could get my deposit back, but I had to commit to use those money in a project in Losbon. We didn, t want that.

We have got a written confirmation from their lawyers telling that my deposit is still on their client account, and that we have the right to get all our money back. My lawier is now preparing to send the claim to them. So will time show if they still have the money...

Br,
    Kai-Roger
    Norway

Scammed Out Of 13,000 euro

Hi,
I purchased two properties with MRI in the summer of 2006, i was a victim of the false selling by MRI. I paid way too much for my properties and now i am in negative equity of about 20% and rising. I was also lislead into purchasing both the rental marketing pacakges and the furniture packages with MRI, neither of which service i ever received. I am like many others in that i have made many attempts by email and telephone to get in contact with someone who may be able to help me get my money back, but without success. Like others MRI are now ignoring my emails and refuse to take my calls.
Surley there must be some law, or international law firm who can help all of us victims get our money back.

Denis.

Saddler Jun 19, 2009

There is a group of people who are trying to get something sorted on the following website:

www.mri-sg.org

Join up on there and they will keep you abrest of further developements. Like you I have lost a large ammount of cash with MRI and I feel the only way forward is through group legal action. If you have any questions drop me line

• Pl
    Playboy22 Jul 12, 2009

hello we have also reserved a property in calabria with MRI and are now out of pocket for the deposit paid in 2007.

what did your lawyers say about the situation?

thanks for posting the details of the website about the MRI action group, ill check it out tonight

i was using the lawyers recommended by MRI (legal factory) but now one of our friends recommended another firm of lawyers who are independent from them and the builders, these new lawyers represent a lot of people who are buying in calabria

they have written to MRI that - if we dont get the money back by 30 July - they will file a claim at court for double the deposit. apparently they have already issued other claims against MRI and legal factory in calabria, do you think that legal action is the best option?

if you want to stay in touch, my email is [email protected]

• Ol
    olivercharles Jul 22, 2009

Hi,

I was misled with my property purchase in Romania through MRI. I have lost thousands of pounds.

I am looking to sue them for the loss and try and claim back my money.

Has anyone had ny luckor know of how to go about it?

Regards

• Dp
    dpsurb Jul 24, 2009

Hi Same with us. The property is not finished (nowhere near it) and now they are threatening legal action via a lawyers called Gugushev and Partners from Sophia to forgo all the monies we have paid (£20k+++) I suspect that MRI are going bust. They do not answer any direct questions and I am beginning to think the law company recommended for the property purchase by MRI works in 'concert' with them.

Get in contact if you think I can help. [email protected]

izzy Aug 19, 2009

Hi all.
    I am in touch with many people who have had problems.
    I am liaising with an MP in an effort to get something done about what has happened to us, and others.
    If anyone is interested, please contact me.

• Sm
    SMcDonald Sep 20, 2009

Hi All

We are exactly in the same position as everyone else above.

We were given the hard sell in 2006 and went ahead with the 50% on two apartments in Bansko... Bulgaria then pulled the mortgages and now we are struggling to get anywhere legally.

We also paid a large amount for so called furniture pack through MRI in Dec 2006 and like everyone else they now dont return calls, emails and refusing the refund this we even sourced storage but they just ignore everything.

• Up
    upset2010 Oct 20, 2009

has anybody bought an apartment through mri in panorama bay in st vlas. i did and they couldnot come up with the mortgage for the place, i have lost the lot(26, 000 euros approx) if anybody here has any ideas on hopw to go about getting your money back from these people, drop a line here and i'll get back to you. they were in ireland last week, trying to flog their apartments in bansko, but i had to find anothe 7, 000 euros if i wanted a property, just be very careful and dont sign anything with these people

• Gr
    grahamstewart Nov 19, 2009

Hi everyone
    I also paid MRI for furniture which had not been delivered. My apartment in Bansko was completed in May 2009 and MRI are not replying to any correspondence. I have even been to Bansko but have still been unable to get any answers. How can a company take your money and then refuse to supply goods?

izzy Mar 17, 2010

Send detailed complaints about what has happened to you to the Serious Fraud Squad.

• Ru
    RUPINDER DHILLON Mar 24, 2011

I purchased a property from MRI in Romania in 2008. They assured me that I will get my mortgage and also lied to me that if I don't my deposit would be refunded back. I have almost lost over £50, 000. I tried contacting them, but was not getting nowhere. I later was contacted by MRI and an appointment was made for me to meet one of the senior management team. They were trying to sell another property in Bulgaria...which they were selling to me for double the price! Howver they made me believe that they were helping me, when instead they were profiting again. MRI have made over 30k euro in commission for mis-selling and lying to me.

Scammed by MRI

Hi. MRI did a hard-sell on us to purchase 2 properties in Bella Vista in Morocco in 2007. The propertie...

Cape Verde properties

We purchased in cape verde on Sal 2008.In May 2009 were told to attend a meeting .To be told we had lost our money .Sum total of 43, 000 euro.The MRI then suggested that we could roll the moneyover onto another property in Bulgaria meaning they would discount the Bulgarian property by 43, 000 euros. informing us that there was only 4 one bedroomed apartments left and would be gone by the end of the day.iWhich at the time seemed like a good idea to save losing the money paying a resevation fee of 6, 000 euros.We returned
home after doing research and talking to a solictor realized we had made a mistake and been conned by the MRI as we are still in a contract with the Cape verde builder and should not have been pressurised into doing this.We asked the MRI for our reservation fee back but they have refused

• Ka
    Kai-Roger Jul 14, 2009

Hi,

The same happened to us it Italy/Pizzo. We paid 53.000 Euros in deposit for our apartment in Easter 2008. We didn't hear anything until January this year when I called them to get status.
    Then I was told that MRI has pulled out of all projects in Italy several months ago.
    They couldn't help me because our contract was with the constructor, not with MRI. They called me the day after and said that they could help me after all. They could get my deposit back, but then I had to commit to use thos money in a project in Lisbon, and of course pay a fee for this.
    We didn't want that, and contacted cosumer help in Norway. They contacted consumer help in Italy, who contacted the lawyers wich MRI used. They said that the deposit was on their client account and that we were entiteled to get all our money back. The project in Lisbon was just ment as an extra service to us!!! What at lot of crap!

Our lawyer is now preparing our claim to the lawyers, but I don't have much hope to get my money back.

Br,
    Kai-Roger
    Norway

• Bs
    BSN Legal Dec 06, 2010

To anyone paying reservation fees using their credit cards or Visa debit card - if MRI or your Estate Agent refuses to pay you back, put in a claim against your card company. If you're not sure how, get in touch and I'll send you a claim form.

• Bs
    BSN Legal Apr 15, 2011

Further to my previous post we have to qualify the terms of a credit card claim: the UK Section 75 will not cover the claim if the whole amount of the product purchased is over £30, 000. We were looking at ways to get around using section 75 - especially in Eire where UK legislation is not applicable.
    It seems that every card issuer there applies it's own rules and, of course, they are not very forthcoming in providing the information we have requested. Even the clients, themselves, have found it difficult to get the relevant information from the banks. Jury is still out on this situation, I'm afraid, but we will let everyone know if anything changes.

Terrible experience

MRI overseas property is traping small ivestors into their overseas property scam since last three year...

Lakesview apartments

My late fater and I was scamed into buying 2 offplan apartments in the Lakesview resort turkey. (Roughly 2 years ago). My father placed the initial deposits plus 30% upfront and the remaining 70% on completion. Unfortunatley my father past away in January and I am at a loose end. I have tried numerous of times trying to get some aanswers from MRI, the aftersales team and also legel independance and yet I have heard nothing. I feel physically sick knowing my fathers hard earn money has fallen into the hands of conmen and I may never see it again. Apparantly they are trying to negoiate with the developers to transfer both deposits onto 1 but I have heard nothing for months and am not holding my breath.Is there anyone who can give any advice on this and is there anyone who has brought on the Lakesview resort? Thanks Ben [protected]@hotmail.co.uk

Chris Barton Oct 20, 2009

My husband and I bought a furniture package for our apartment in Sal, Cape Verde from MRI back in September 2017. Also friends of ours have had the misfortune to do the same. They hounded us with phone calls advising us to buy from them and not from Tecnicil who are the developers of the apartment we bought. Now it seems Tecnicil will not allow us to join their rental programme because we have not bought from them. But apart from that we are not very hopeful of ever getting this furniture package which by the way cost us around 20, 000 euros. We have emailed and phoned an infinate number of times to try and find out when we will be in possession of our package. They say that as only a few clients have completed on their apartments it would not be viable to ship the packages over to Sal until they have at least 25%. We would love to hear from anyone who has also had the misfortune to get involved with this 'company'!!!

• As
    A.Soleas Oct 25, 2009

To give you a warning with regards to your furniture package, I would demand they supply your furniture package now as we have just been told that due to the development we have invested in completing late our furniture package has expired. They may be stalling to achieve this with you. They claim this s in the terms nad conditions which I have never seen.L Do not let these con artists get way with this. You have paid, demand they supply it even if it means you store if yourself..

izzy Feb 09, 2010

Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"FIGHT TO STOP OVERSEAS PROPERTIES SCAMS - "

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time.

Thanks!

• Gi
    Ginger1 Feb 15, 2010

If you need a contact for MRI in the UK then I would contact Grant Henderson who knows the guys who run this company.
    His contact details are as follows:

• Gi
    Ginger1 Feb 15, 2010

P.S. please don't explain where you have got his details from.

Scammed me for 3000 euros

Disillusioned I surfed the web. Not believing that my friend would have bought something that I'd been shown. I made a few calls and spoke to a local lady (Vanya) who agreed to meet me in 30 minutes or so and show me round some properties. Now by this time I felt intimidated by MRI and actually felt the need to ask Vanya to meet me somewhere other than the kempinski. You see MRI had several salesmen floating around on the 1st floor, the sales director was there and other customers, it was all very exclusive, but I felt the need to hide contacting another agency. So I met Vanya and she took me to see a fantastic set of appartments in the St Ivan area, a short drive from the gondola, up the Pirin Mountain with wonderful views of the village and surrounding area. This set of appartments was amazing. All I could say after the previous hours with MRI was WOW. I could believe that this appartment block would be something credible, something I could actually buy. We headed back to Vanya's office and had some discussions abuot prices and schedules. She was the opposite of pushy, let me know what schedule you would like, I'll make a discount for you (which worked out at around 1250 euro - m2). I walked into the village and had some thoughts about how to handle MRI the next day. I mentionned to the two guys I'd previous spemt some time with and they'd agreed to buy something for a quick turn-around, I'd mentioned I'd been to see something else and was now convinced that MRI were taking us for suckers.

Alan and I walked round to this building to meet the developer. He turned up to meet us and tried to take us inside one of the three blocks. Now the developer guy did not speak english and Alan did not speak Bulgarian. I had been told that the appartment was in Block 1 and the developer guy was showing us Block 3. Alan called him a useless #@&$% and walked off (now who's rude!) towards Block 1. To be fair Alan was really trying to show me the right appartment but didn;t have the support from his team to work out which appartment was the correct one. I was told that the appartment should be 88.25 m2 facing up the mountain. We found an appartment that was at most 68m2 including balconies. So the interesting 1450 euro - m2 became a less interesting 1750 euro - m2. I was shown first floor up the mountain. Great! Despite the 68m2 I could see this as an investment worth making. I asked if Alan was sure it was 88m2 and if he was sure it was 1st floor. The numbering didn't seem logical for it to be on the first floor.

Chris Woodward Mar 25, 2009

Hi just picked these threads up having placed my own complaint elsewhere on the site yesterday. Webought a property through MRI off an allegedly independant builder and there is nothing to suggest otherwise to date that he is just than that. Albeit a little slow, two years on at least the roof's on, ' siga, siga' (slowly slowly) apparently!
    If were conned and I've every reason to believe we were that is in respect of having bought into the 'MRI Lifetime Aftersales'. We were promised regular updates/photos of progress, meet and greet and once the property was complete the completion of a 'snagging' visit. whilst it would be difficult to complete the latter we have been unable to maintain communication with the MRI Cyprus officeas the staff were forever changing.
    Having travelled over last year we visited the office and met with a new manager who appeared very genuine and from his manner obviously was wondering what he had taken on. Not surprisingly he's no longer there!
    He did his best, especially considering any record of our original visit andpurchase had vanished.
    I'm back across next week to check out whats occurring. Sadly what was a dream is turning into a nightmare, not helped by falling property values here in the UK. In hindsight we should have resisted diving in with both feet. Chris

• Ne
    neconst Sep 23, 2009

Response to the original guy who posted:

I'm one of the 2 other guys you mention...I still can't believe I found this posting of yours, the world is so small !! Interesting to read how the rest of your weekend & adventure transpired.

From our side, we also found the Customer service wanting, and decided to pull out after the financial crisis swept. We lost our 30% deposit, but it was still a fun weekend.

What are you up to these days?

Nicolas ([email protected])

• Cp
    CPC Holding Jun 29, 2011

www.cpcholding.co.uk

I truly hope we can help some of you.

Sam

loss of £15000

In feb 2006 i was sold an apartment in bansko by Nigel Andrews MRI sales rip off person he did not bother to...

help....letters needed please about MRI...

hi all...could anybody please please be so kind and take a little time to write how...

lies and untrust worthy

hi, as anybody had any bad dealing with mri in or out of bulgaria i myself are in a battle with them at the...

HIDDEN CHARGES

To whom It May Concern Clients using MRI furniture packages please be aware, I Brought an Apartment with...

cheating/false advertising/lies

After I responded to an e mail from the mri overseass property advertising for £99 trip to Florida...

rental service

As with other complainants I paid 1760 Euros for the MRI after sales rental package and received nothing in...

Misleading information /lies

MRI Overseas Property's staff in Cyprus showed me several properties. As I found them all too expensive...

fraud

In oct 04 we put a deposit of $70, 500 on a pre construction villa in orlando .This villa has not been built .Mri assured us the firm Platinum Properties led by its ceo David weiker was a reputable and established builders and our money was safe.Mri led us to believe they were acting for us as we visited one of there road shows in the Uk, they now say that they are a transactual broker who only introduce clients.Platinum properties have filed for banckrupcy chapter 11 and David weiker has been arrested for fraud but Mri who received 20% of our deposit for telling us we had to put down 20% depositon the on villa not 10% have retained there commission even though there closing directer Michael Ellis said they would only get payed when the contract closed.
We were also advised by there broker Russell Pierce to invest in acondo hotel called Lake Bueno Vista Resort Village and Spa he said we would not have to close on the property as he would sell on before it was built this again was not true we had to close on the property or lose our deposit. Mri received a commisson in excess of $30, 000 and refused to take any responcibillity for there brokers action or statements. Apparantly Russell Pierce was also arrested and convicted of fraud in an unrelated issue but we were advised he had just moved on.

• Th
    the info man Jun 05, 2009

USA USA USA and THE WORLD
    You bought in one of the most regulated real estate markets on the planet. And even if your troubles are in another country, you can register complaints. These people don’t play games, and will investigate. Everyone person on the planet who has a complaint with MRI should e mal these depts.

Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR)
    They govern lawyers, law firms and Real Estate companies and agents.
    Contact Us :: 1940 North Monroe Street, Tallahassee FL 32399 :
    [email protected] :: Customer Contact Center: 850.487.1395

Florida Real Estate Commission (FREC) They set laws and rules for real estate companies, and take complains seriously.

Thomas O' Bryant, Jr, Director
    Division of Real Estate
    400 West Robinson Street, N801
    Orlando, Fl 32801
    Phone: 850.487.1395
    Fax: 407.317.7245

Both these organizations are powerful, and protect their names. Contact them and lodge complaints.

http://www.realtor.org/ National Association of Realtors

http://www.floridarealtors.org/ Florida Association of Realtors

Want more info? [email protected]

misleading information, inaction

Signed up with this company using their rental(scam)
Paid 1760-00 euros, this included advertising my property, installing rental ready accessory pack and 500 euro deposit.
Totally false information was used to advertise my property, rental package was never installed and had one weeks rental for 400 euro when promised I would have ten weeks at 1000 euro per week.
Impossible company to contact, after reading other peoples horry stories can't understand how this company still be in business.

• Fi
    Fiona Jun 02, 2009

We have also purchased properties from MRI and now we are reaping the reward, Dept! They have sold properties promising summer rental and winter rental prices and to date they are rubbish. Companies like this need to be stopped. They are nothing but confidence tricksters.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices