Mountain Area CommunicationsFraud

S

I have tried and tried to cancel my account only to find out to my disbelief that they want to me to pay $1000 for all these magazines and I'm not even getting all the one's I wanted.
They lied to me about how much to pay a month. They told me $3.99 a week...so $15.96 a month. Not bad huh? Yea until I got a bill for $49.90 a month. I tried to cancel but they won't let me. They're rude. I hung up on them once out of frustration only to find they called me back and said I don't appriciate you hanging up in my face. Who from a company actually calls you back to say that? They claim they never told me I could cancel my account for $99 fee. They said they never said that.
I'm frustrated and want out.

• Ta
    Tammake Jun 21, 2016

They called me one day to tell me i had won a $1000 shopping spree online. The only catch was that I pay for magazines. I thought it was a great deal so I went with it. After a couple weeks I still had not received anything. The took their payment out the first time, then i closed the account. They called me later wanting to know when i would make my next payment i told them i would not be paying anything else til i got the card. They said they had sent it but they could send me a grocery card instead if i would like. I waited on that but it never came either. Now they wont answer my calls and they are still taking money out of my new account.

Cathy H. Jun 21, 2016

I too am a victim of this scam. I never agree to magazines and have been 4x in one month from them. We, my husband and I, are both disabled, living on social security.This has us behind in our bills, caused overdrafts with the bank and caused me to become physically sick with worry. We don't read magazines and would never order the ones we have gotten. I need all my money back and soon.

• Mo
    moondrop45 Jun 21, 2016

I don't know how I stumbled upon this mess of a business, but I think it was through some online survey I was taking for a Wal-Mart gift card. These people called me, then fast talked me into some bogus ### contract of buying mags for $49.90 for 20 months. They also told me that I could cancel my subscription at any time...so I did within 7 of receiving the contracted letter, which was my option. They tell me you can't because they've already prepaid a couple of months in my behalf...bull! So, make a long story short, I had to set up a payment plan to pay back $200.00 that they said that I owed them for them paying for me in advance for these magazines. This business is one of the biggest scams in history! Please don't get duped into this like I did...

Spicerack Jun 21, 2016

Report all poor business practices to the Federal Trade Commission - https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ - interstate fraud is a crime.

• Bi
    bitchnMoan Jun 21, 2016

go to the better business bureau if you got no magazines and no free gift and they will cancel your account. it worked for me

• Fe
    FedupMtac Jun 21, 2016

They got me after I had just been off work from a 12 hour day getting ready for a store inventory count the next day. I of coarse got charged the very next day for 49.00, though it was supposed to be a hold. After a few monthes of trying to contact them here and there to cancel the account, cause you can never get ahold of anyone, I finally did. A supervisor or owner or what have you gets on the line and tells me sir, if they said you could cancel the account, then they where lieing and they would be fired for it, I said well, looks like you have some training todo on your end, have a nice day cancel my account. Of coarse they said no, so I got on the phone with my bank right after the call and canceled my card so they could not debit out anything else from me. Few monthes later, after not answering there calls, I get a call on my house line, hmm how nice. But this time is from some Mirand Response lady saying how she aggrees that I should not be having to pay and that they did me wrong, but I could resolve all of this if I paid them 120.00 for the next few monthes, since she could cut my total due in half. Or if i wanted to be done with it completely and not get any other magizines and such, that I could simply pay them 480.00 and it would be resolved. Supposedly she did not work for Mountain Area, though in the back ground I heard a lady answering the phone prolly in the next little cubical saying, Thanks for calling Mountain Area Magizine, haha. Now I heard the recording, and yeah it sounded like me, so I can not dispute the fact they got me when I was gulliable I suppose, but when I started stating the fact to this Daniel chick at Mirand Response( AKA Mountain Area Communications) she started getting all offensive, and sure I did have a little more loudness to my voice by this time, told her that I would not be paying and then she said, well you will pay in time, you will be hearing from our Lawyers. So guess its time to get a laywer myself, as I would rather pay them the 2k then pay that scam of a company another dime. Its sad to see all these others that have been duked by these people, but is nice to see that I was not the only one. So, looks like my next adventure begins. Oh did some looking on this Mirand company, they are a collections agency based out of Jamica or something like that. Looks like they hired some thugs to try to get there cash. Well, will keep you all posted on my little adventure against a scam bs company. Could think of other things I could be doing at this time I tell ya.

• I started getting magazines, then the last six months they stopped. I called and they said they would fix it but they didn't and they kept billing me.. Good thing the Attorney General is involved. #givememymoney :) BACK!!! lmao

• Lo
    Loss Jun 26, 2012

Don't know how they verified my credit card info but they did charge my card i canceled the card and started billing me...i called to cancel and they said that it would go to collections so i gave them a new number to pay the back owed subscriptions then i came across this site what now?

• Di
    disgusted 123 Mar 15, 2012

Same thing here, just got off phone with them. They claim it is a non cancel and that they have a recording of order. say now that the order will take 3 months to receive.have already debited my account 2 times. do not believe they will ever come or according to Walmart they have no Knowledge of 1, 00.00 dollars gift certificates for this company. how can this be stopped? the person i talked to first said the would go out immediately

• Th
    TheyGotMe123 Feb 06, 2012

did the fcc do anything for you? these people tricked me too and i have 2 small kids and lots of overdue billd already ! : (
    I literally feel like i was like walking down the street and was literally violated by these people. Especially when they made me sit through my voice recording, it was like they were taunting me

Carefull everyone Feb 03, 2012

I really dont understand why you guys would be so gullable. why would u give your CC info to a company without researching it. the number kept popping up on my caller ID so i did a reverse lookup on it and it came back to this company. the lady left me several messages saying "Mr. ****** (last name omitted to protect my ID) i have some good news and bad news. the good news isd you won a $250 gift card. the bad news is u missed my call". i immediately knew this was a bad deal. i wont call it a scam because that would mean that i get nothing out if it and they take my money, steel my ID etc... you people should really be more careful about giving your info out like that in this day and time. all these "employees posting on here are probably part of it and it sounds like a scam just by the way they post. this cannot be a very large company maybe 50 employees. i work for a company that has about 250 and i can say i know most of them and we are in 6 different locations in my area. you guys should just be more careful and learn from this. call youur BBB or attourney general. that usually gets results. if the company were so upstanding they would be able to cancel the subscription or i would get in touch with the publisher of the magazines and let them know that this company is doing it. if you get enough of them behind there customers and they drop this company for doing bad buisness then they will be out of business.

Not Very Happy 5155 Jan 18, 2012

I say we who have been burned by this company should start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

• Ti
    timara Dec 11, 2011

Ok to all you dedicated employees which one of you idiots failed to bill me even thought you had my account information and had done so before, then failed to try to contact me to tell me I had a bill, then sent a $600 some odd dollar bill to collections? How the hell was I supposed to know I even owed money if I never got a bill? Ya'll are shady and I hope soon you all are jobless. HAVE A NICE DAY!

• Kh
    khphleb Nov 15, 2011

In reading these comments, I have been completely appalled by the comments made by the "employees" of this scamming business. I got a call from them yesterday. A $1, 000 gift certificate. It sounded legitimate. She informed me that she was in league with my credit card company and was a preferred customer. I was "exclusively" selected from a group of lucky candidates. Like many of you, I was unwise enough to give them the information for which they asked. They did not tell me I was being recorded. They did not tell me I was submitting to a verbal contract. And, the icing on the cake, they told me that they were not charging anything to my account. She just wanted to check and make sure that it was a valid card. She told me that I would not have to worry about any payments or anything until I had completed the paperwork they were sending to me. A few hours later I had a really sick feeling so I went and checked my bank account. A charge for $49.90 had been sent through my account. Not only was this a transaction which I did NOT agree to, but it caused me to be overdrawn in my checking account. I immediately called my bank and reported fraud. They closed my account for a fraudulent transaction which I did not authorize. The next morning, I got a verification call from the company again telling me that they were about to send out my paperwork and needed to check one last time my address and information. I told her that I was no longer interested and wanted to completely cancel everything. Instead of cancelling, she tried to set me up with a less expensive deal. Informing her that I was still not interested, she became very defensive and told me what a hassle it was to cancel an order and in the future I need to pay more attention to what is being offered to me over the phone. Working in the health care field, I am very aware that the worst possible way to please people or get them to do what you want is to manipulate them! This company is sly, cunning, and needs to be stopped! I am awe-struck that any company would allow their employees to say the things they say, do the things they do, and act the way they act. These employees may say what they wish, but this is a scamming, fraudulent company. The definition of a scam is "a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit." I have closed the account of which they had my information. I am working with my sister's father-in-law, who is an attorney, to make sure there will be no repercussions from cancelling this bogus deal. Anyone within the reach of this comment, PLEASE, I beg you, do NOT get involved with this company! They will destroy you if they can! Millions of dollars have been scammed from this company and I am thankful that I was able to be released from their clutches before it was too late. They carefully and slowly lure you into interest, entice you into their grasp, and slam the trap shut! They might be able to slither around, behind, and under the law...but their careless, conniving, immoral actions will someday come back to haunt them. This business is immoral, unethical, fraudulent, unprofessional, aggressive, disrespectful, dishonest, deceptive, and destructive!

• Ms
    msbombshell Oct 12, 2011

i NEVER received my mags. i just got those magazine componies try to bill me! i tried to cancel they said that i cant i only could make changes. WTF!!! o btw that whole "shopping spree" thing is a peice of ###!!! u have to pay the "taxes" on the items u want. how in the world is $16.99 tax on a $17 item?! i just want to cancel this stupid membership!!!

• Di
    Dissatisfied 'Customer" Sep 28, 2011

I think MAC is nothing but a SCAM!! My sister answered my phone and made the order in my name. I WASN'T EVEN HOME AND SHE'S UNDER 18!! That means she can't enter into any LEGAL CONTRACTS!! When I found out about it I called to cancel and they told me I couldn't. They said I had to pay over $1000 to 'pay the account in full'. I told them it wasn't me that made the order and they said that it was and that they had 'voice recognition' software. BS!! The guy on the phone was VERY RUDE to me and said that they would contact a lawyer to get the money out of me. I found out from my bank that since the order was being taken out of my account through my debit card, I could cancel that card and order a new one with a new number and they couldn't take anymore money out of my account. IT WORKED!! They haven't been able to take another penny out of my account!! I would tell anybody that is having problems with them, DO THIS... Go to your bank and order a new debit card or close your account and start a new one ASAP!! I know it's a hassle but it's better than paying $49.90 a month for some SH*TY MAGAZINES you are never going to read anyways. It's the only way to stop them from being able to take your hard earned money!! Best of luck to all of you who got scammed!! I hope this helps!!

• Du
    durango2002 Sep 04, 2011

This is the biggest ripoff there ever was. If you get a call from them hang the phone up in their ear. We all should get together and file one big lawsuit against them.

• Ag
    A.G. vs. MAC Aug 30, 2011

I was manipulated into setting up an account. I felt very uncomfortable the entire conversation I had with the woman, but she assured me that I could cancel my account at any time if I was unsatisfied. As soon as I hung up the phone with the woman I realized that I had fallen victim to a scam. I check my account balance, they placed a $50.00 hold on my account, which we had not agreed to. I called to cancel my account and they said I couldn't, I would have to pay some absurd cancellation fee. After threatening them with legal action they took the hold off my account and I immediately cancelled my credit card. Months later I started receiving harassing calls from MAC. In frustration I hung up and they called back saying how rude I was and that I owed them $800.00. Finally I smartened up and reported the company to the Vermont Attorney General's office. The next time MAC and a creditor called I explained that I would not be speaking with them any further; any correspondence had to be done in writing and that the Attorney General was involved in the matter. The Attorney General's office took care of everything. There are laws to protect consumers, in the state of VT there is a three day cancellation window with phone orders. The A.G. had them restore my credit and I will never hear from them again.

My point is simply, use the resources available to you! If you think you have been taken advantage of contact your states Attorney General. MAC made my life miserable for months but I am happy to say I never paid those jerks a single dollar.

angel_of_rights Aug 27, 2011

First, I used a card only authorized by my husband. When he called and said he did not authorize them to use it, they told him to send in a police report! He made one and faxed it! Ha! Then we had to go to the bank and cancel the card with the number they had. That SHUT off their ability to obtain the funds. Then I faked being an attorney to get some answers out of them. They walked right into it! They emailed saying they had a piece of paper with my SIGNATURE! LOL Since they said this, they actually made it easy for me to LEGALLY file charges for fraud :) We are looking into a class action lawsuit against this!! After all of this AND a report I filed with the BBB, they responded to the complaint stating "in order to keep our outstanding customer service, we cancelled her order." LMAO again! They didn't cancel because of that, they were 1: cut off from funds 2:threatened by a "lawyer" and 3: Knew they were committing fraud by using and un-authorized card and subjecting this company to credit card fraud :) My account was dropped because I was sticking it to THEM for a change and I have to say...my hubby was like "Wow! I am so glad you watched all of those crime shows and I am way proud of you for not letting them screw with you"

• Li
    Lindsey M. Harding Aug 24, 2011

I think that this company should give back every red cent to the people here in th U.S. from scammers.

• Li
    lil2nija Aug 10, 2011

I am under similar circumstances! did you at least receive all of what they promised?

• Ke
    Keep your word Aug 01, 2011

I asked about canceling before signing up, and never got a clear answer. The lady said we like to have people who will keep the service. This was not a yes or no. Then I was told that I would not be charged for 2 weeks, but was charged that day. And this is why I wanted to cancel. Don't tell a person that you are going are not going to bill them right away then bill them the same day. When I called I was first told that I could not cancel, the I was tol I could but it would be a $700 fee which was never sated before. The lady got mad at me and hung up the phone. Anyone else looking for a lawsuit aginst them? I don't have aproblem about the payments as I did listen, but I was not told that you could not cancel and I askd directly. I also should not hav been billed for two weeks but was billed right away and the charge was not taken off even after I ws told the first time I called it would be taken off.

caramel_07 Jun 24, 2011

### this company yhe big ### scam and should be close down and my attorney will see of that also the police will definetley be apart. My dad is a officer and he and our great lawayer asured me this will be takeing care of. So to everybody thia happen to sorry it happen and it will be over very very very soon

• Te
    Teresa Berglund Jun 11, 2011

They lied to my boyfriend. He didn't know what he was getting into until the bill came in the mail today. I totally flipped. I warned him about this. They took $50.00 out from our Visa Card, and this is suppose to go on for the next 60 months. Wrong! I will fight this by seeking a lawyer, and stopping ### like this happening again. I know what everybody is going through, and I know how you all feel about this company. This is crime and fraud. A bunch of scam artists they are.

• Ra
    Raregem23 Apr 18, 2011

When I was being asked if I wanted to sign up I specifically asked the care rep and the supervisor I spoke to if I could cancel at any time due to I did not want to be locked into anything for 60 months knowing things could change (finances, job) and they told me they could not tell me I could not cancel but they prefer I didn't. Then when I called today due to my car broke down and now I must buy a new one and I list my wallet so I had to stop all my cards and accts and told them I wanted to cancel the sup Cindy told me I cannot cancel but only change the magazines but this is not what I was told and I am mad as hell because I cannot afford to pay for this magazine subscription anymore.

• Sh
    Short_one Feb 22, 2011

WELL Done "MAC, Read your Acts and Laws" !!! They just canceled my account after i went to the BBB and complained. They said they wanted to "maintain their excellent customer service", they make me sick!

MAC, Read your Acts and Laws Feb 19, 2011

So MAC, I noticed you do not have a Better Business Bureau stamp of approval... If you are such a legitimate company and have been in business for "35 years" as your employee's like to tell people over the phone then you would think you might have a pretty good customer baseline or a good rating right???... I can't wait to see you get shut down :)

MAC, Read your Acts and Laws Feb 18, 2011

First and foremost, Sasha (MAC Employee) you can't even spell so you need to shut your mouth. What kind of legitimate company hires an individual that cannot spell, type or speak in proper form? Second, what kind of company knowingly allows their employee's to come online to swear, slander and harass individuals who have complaints about their services? I am no rocket scientist MAC, but you are most certainly not professional at the least, if not complete frauds all together. Third, a legitimate communications company would take their customer complaints, especially of folks who are at the point of sheer anger and listen to them because they are obviously not doing something right if they are receiving such horrible complaints and reviews. It does not matter if you have "thousands" of happy customers (which I find very hard to believe) because if you have even one unhappy customer then you need to fix something. Bottom line, is that the customer is always right when it comes to owning a business and you must respect them, listen to them and try to work with them at all times. Instead of coming online to facilitate more anger and defend your nefarious activities, your priority should be your customers, not your defense, sorry but that is the truth! You need to listen to what these people are saying and fix the problems they are saying you are causing otherwise you will end up with not only people screaming in your face, but legal action which i am sure is already in the works in most cases. I myself reported you to the FBI and several other fraudulent claims agencies because the bottom line is that you lied to me and several other folks and i wasn't even stupid enough to pay for your silly little service, it was simply in the call you made to my phone and the call i gave you back... lying to an American citizen, offering false prizes and prizes with "catches" or fees attached in anyway is Illegal my friends according to Federal Law. You may have fine print telling people they can't cancel and that they will receive a $1000 gift card or prize if they buy some magazines that you MAC think will keep you safe in a court of Law; however maybe you need to do your research and read some Federal Law fine print... you can go to websites such as oh I don't know www.ftc.gov (The Federal Trade Commission Website) and read about "companies" identical to MAC offering Prizes in exchange for a purchase of a "product" and it deems those companies scam artists right there or you could read the actual Federal Acts on the matter below in which i have posted below... at least the ones that are applicable to MAC. Oh and MAC don't worry, even though you may not record your calls for "quality assurance" I record calls from scam artists such as yourselves (we talked twice by the way, you may remember me) and I will be just down right thrilled to give you a heaping lawsuit from it. MAC take a lesson, fair and open disclosure to you on my behalf, you should try it on yours... So about those Federal Acts, please see below:

Unfair or Deceptive Practices Affecting Consumers

Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act, 15 U.S.C. § 45 grants the FTC power to investigate and prevent deceptive trade practices. The statute declares that “unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce, are hereby declared unlawful.”[8] Unfairness and deception towards consumers represent two distinct areas of FTC enforcement and authority. The FTC also has authority over unfair methods of competition between businesses.[9]
    [edit] Deception Practices

In a letter to the Chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, the FTC defined the elements of deception cases. First, “there must be a representation, omission or practice that is likely to mislead the consumer.”[10] In the case of omissions, the Commission considers the implied representations understood by the consumer. A misleading omission occurs when information is not disclosed to correct reasonable consumer expectations.[10] Second, the Commission examines the practice from the perspective of a reasonable consumer being targeted by the practice. Finally the representation or omission must be a material one—that is one that would have changed consumer behavior.[10]

In its 2000 Dot Com Disclosures guide, [11] the FTC said that “[d]isclosures that are required to prevent deception or to provide consumers material information about a transaction must be presented clearly and conspicuously.”[11] The FTC suggested a number of different factors that would help determine whether the information was “clear and conspicuous” including:

* the placement of the disclosure in an advertisement and its proximity to the claim it is qualifying,
    * the prominence of the disclosure,
    * whether items in other parts of the advertisement distract attention from the disclosure,
    * whether the advertisement is so lengthy that the disclosure needs to be repeated,
    * whether disclosures in audio messages are presented in an adequate volume and cadence and visual disclosures appear for a sufficient duration, and
    * whether the language of the disclosure is understandable to the intended audience.[11]

Quote from the FTC homepage:

"There's a big difference between legitimate sweepstakes and fraudulent ones. Prizes in legitimate contests are awarded solely by chance, and contestants don't have to pay a fee or buy something to enter or increase their odds of winning. In fraudulent schemes, however, "winners" almost always have to dip into their pockets to enter a contest or collect their "prize."

"The Telemarketing Sales Rule helps protect consumers from fraudulent telemarketers who use prize promotions as a lure. In every telemarketing call involving a prize promotion, the law requires telemarketers to tell you:

* the odds of winning a prize. If the odds can't be determined in advance, the promoter must tell you the factors used to calculate the odds.
    * that you don't have to pay a fee or buy something to win a prize or participate in the promotion.
    * if you ask, how to participate in the contest without buying or paying anything.
    * what you'll have to pay or the conditions you'll have to meet to receive or redeem a prize.

The Telemarketing Sales Rule prohibits telemarketers from misrepresenting any of these facts, as well as the nature or value of the prizes. It also requires telemarketers who call you to pitch a prize promotion to tell you before they describe the prize that you don't have to buy or pay anything to enter or win."

- MAC, in the 2 calls in which we spoke you definitely misrepresented your sweepstakes (you deemed it a sweepstakes prize as well, your guy Henry with that TN accent called it a "sweepstakes" not me) promotion (which that promotion part was of course not mentioned until the end of my first call and when I inquired about it my answers were always diverted back to the prize I had supposedly won), DID NOT follow the Telemarketing Sales Rule in pitching a "prize promotion" during or before you told me about my "$1000 sweepstakes" that I had one with "no strings attached" and only later mentioned the subscriptions... I believe that part is covered in the Act above and it is called "A misleading omission" and it definitely falls under the "whether items in other parts of the advertisement distract attention from the disclosure" part of that ACT not to mention all other parts that apply to your scheme.

angle123 Feb 15, 2011

Mountain area communication scam
    You can report this to the FBI at

• Sh
    Short_one Feb 10, 2011

Every time i talk to these people they are rude and so heartless! The women on the phone knew she was being heartless as well. I'm also in the middle of hopefully settling this. They sure have a way with confusing and tricking people into buying these magazines it's amazing that these are also (so called) human beings. I too havent recieved magazines anymore but only recieved harrasing phone calls and a bill. There is no excuse for the way they treat their customers, if only you knew what kind of people they really are before you say "okay i guess i'll try the magazines".

notcho15 Jan 25, 2011

i am in the process of fighting this company. after paying the initial fee i did not receive the magazines that i asked for nor did i receive it in a timely fashion. it took about 3 months to get the first magazine and it was outdated. note: during their sign up process i asked about canceling the service and they stated they hope that i wouldn't cancel. they also said nothing about a cancelation fee, which they sprung upon me in a heated conversation. the fee was around 600 dollars!!! i don't know how these women can look at themselves in the mirror or sleep at night. so what i did was cancel my debit card that i used and told them to cancel my account. they refused and continue sending me bills without sending me magazines. finally they gave up and now a collections agency and lawyer (the lawyer is from montana. it took them that many miles to find a lawyer stupid enough to represent them). They are looking for 280 dollars now or so and i am still refusing to pay it. I am willing to participate in a class action lawsuit and pull out as much money from these women as possible. They caused unnecessary stress and harassed me excessively.

• Ta
    TAMICKA Dec 30, 2010

This company is a bunch of bull. Please someone shut them down, money is hard to come by and I don't need them taking the little I have.

• Xc
    xcor Dec 21, 2010

Complaint has been filed. I am now going to an attorney general about this. I've been harassed by this company for long enough. It caused me to close all of my bank accounts. I was misled into this "loan" because that's what it is. A 940 dollar loan that is about to go into default, atleast that is what leticia said on my voicemail. I will not pay for this. I never signed a contract, or gave a SSN. Threats to go to the credit bureau won't work, sorry Mac.

• Ap
    apps44cal Dec 09, 2010

slimy [censor]

• Ka
    Kari Caldas Dec 08, 2010

I was scammed by these people through an unsolicited phone call and they said I had been chosen to receive a $1000 shopping spree sponsored by VISA. Long story short I had to close my debit card account. Now they are harassing me and saying they are going to turn me into all 3 credit bureaus for default on a $750 loan. Please hang up if MOUNTAIN AREA COMMUNICATIONS calls you. I know of no other recourse than to file a complain against them.

Spicerack Dec 07, 2010

Report all poor business practices to the Federal Trade Commission - https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ - interstate fraud is a federal crime.

Spicerack Dec 07, 2010

Please please please do not fall for their scam. Do NOT allow them to bill you. If you are charged against your will, PLEASE contact the Federal Trade Commission and report to them your problems. If fraud is perpetrated across state lines, it is a federal CRIME, but if you do not complain, nothing will happen, and they will find more victims. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/