Midwest Publishers IncOrder Cancellation Refusal

Midwest Publishers Inc. signed me up to receive 4 magazines for 1 year. Cost was to be $37.38/mo for 6 months. I was told that after I received documentation in the mail that I would have the right to cancel if it was not as I understood it.

They took first payment out $37.38 on 2/16/11. Since they did not hear from me they assumed I would continue. But did not get the documentation until late February 26.

The documentation shows $37.38 for 20 months for $747.60 total. It is for 4 magazines for 1 year each - it is printed that way - h0wever, a telephone call to them says it is for 4 years each - hence the cost.

They will not cancel the order- they want the $747.60 total one way or the other - they will not reduce the amount to 1 years worth of magazines. They said the only thing they could do would be to change the monthly amount to $18 for 40 months.

I want to cancel the entire thing and I should be able to

• Me
    mehmet demirel Oct 25, 2017

Midwest Publishing Inc is a company that runs every scam they can make $$$ with. One day they will try to sell you something on another day they will collect money for a scam charity. These guys use every loophole to avoid being thrown in jail and it is working for them. AVOID signing up/donating/buying anything from a random call you receive.

SACRAMento916 Oct 18, 2017

Dude was very aggressive and tried to get my card information which i did not like at all. He was rude and was telling me why i didn't have my wallet with me and all this bull crap. I told him no and he just hung up lol. [censor]

Charles Roberts Jr Dec 23, 2016

This company definetly is a scam. I let myself be talked into a subscription from these con artists and tried to cancel when my magazines never came in. The only way i could keep them out of my wallet was to cancel my debit card. I then found out a short time later that my magazines were NOT coming through Midwest bit through another subscription company!

Oh and the gift card's they promise you, all lies.

• He
    Heather McCaulley Aug 31, 2016

Sadly enough, I too am a scam victim from this same company. Two days ago, I got a call from someone named Morgan who said he was with Midwest Publishers. Okay, all fine and good. He proceeds to go through his schpeel about magazines and that I needed to verify my information in order to be taken off their "Do Not Call, Do Not Renew" list. So I did. Unfortunately for me, what they said and what they did were two different things. Fast forward 12 hours and I'm checking my account online yesterday morning. There's a CHARGE to my account from Midwest Home Office Crystal for $39.90 that I didn't authorize. I called up the company via the number I found for them and this guy who answers proceeds to give me lip and says I don't have an account with them. I said that's impossible, they just called me yesterday. He says, rather rudely, "you DON'T have an account with us", then hangs up on me without another word. If I have no account with them, how is it possible to charge my account from this company's name? If I have no account with them, there should be no charges. Everything I've read about this company since yesterday morning when this happened is far from good. the BBB has revoked their standing, given them an F grading, and people have complained about this company and their fraudulent practices since 2009. WHY is this place still in business?!?! I've had to cancel the card they used, which puts other monthly charges in hiatus until my new card arrives, and now I'm afraid I'll start getting those "collections agency" calls from Midwest because of it. I've spoken to the Fraud department at my bank and told them everything, filed a report against Midwest Publishers and my bank is currently investigating the incident AND the company. Come to find out, there are three different company names all run by the same 2 people and they're all fraudulent businesses. These people need to be stopped. But what do you do if even the BBB won't shut them down?

• My
    Myrtle Waters Norman Feb 26, 2015

I ordered a new wave oven . The next thing I new I started getting mag. I have been getting harassing phone calls and bill notices . I have told them to cancel all subscription I told them I did not like any of them. And yet they still come . Please how do I get them to stop

• K8
    k85 Nov 24, 2014

These people are absolutely insane. They got me a YEAR AND A HALF AGO and got my credit card information. I never agreed to anything NOR did I ever receive a single magazine (not that I wanted any). In August of 2013, I called their customer service rep which was NOT associated with their company - it was an outside company that managed their customer service. The woman was wonderful and completely took down all my notes and heard my story out about this fraudulent company. She had enough evidence against them that she was able to cancel out my account and get my money refunded...They never sent her the "recording" of me stating my information so she had enough grounds to know they were a scam. I was refunded and all was taken care of. Let's now jump to today, November 2014, and I got a call from them (different number now) threatening me with collections. After explaining to the guy that this was taken care of forever ago, he told me that my notes have NO information on any cancellation OR refunding and I owed them something like 740 dollars. ! I happened to save the lady's number that helped me last time and I called her up. She said they no longer work with Midwest Publishing but sent them all of their old customer information. They altered it! She was baffled to hear that they DELETED all the comments we spoke about that cleared up the situation. I have a credit card statement to prove the refund FROM them! Sounds like they are trying to get some new credit card information from old customers. She says that if you were really put into collections, you will receive a letter from a real company - not their bulls**t collection agency.

• Br
    Bruno4444 Nov 19, 2014

For those that are still dealing with this, let me share how I got them to leave me alone. First of all, I filed reports with the BBB, FTC, USPS Inspector General, and more. I have also contacted their local police and mayor who are now working on the case.

When i called them back after harassing my wife, I knew enough to incriminate them. Check your state law, and get to know what they are doing that is illegal. Know that they conveniently don't have records of cancelling or what have you. What broke the camels back for this was calling them out. Told them I knew they were lying and that I was prepared with the evidence I needed from the material they sent me to take a case to the State Attorney General. Don't let them intimidate you. If they say they will take you to collections, tell them you are not worried, that you know they can do nothing as a fraudulent company. When I did this (though it was a much longer conversation where I tried being nice but called them out when it became obvious), they hung up. They called back 5 minutes later and the lady said she had talked to her supervisor and that I no longer owe them anything; my account was wiped out.

I'll let you know if I get any calls, but be fearless, help them see that you are educated on who they are and what your rights are. Know what laws they have broken and make sure you are confident in threatening to take them before the State Attorney General.

• Br
    bratty Jul 03, 2014

I had a guy feeling as soon as I got off the phone that this was wrong. I came into work and called the number that dialed me back. They were real friendly (which I know doesn't jive with all the other comments) and gave me the customer service line. I called and spoke with Morgan [protected]) and got it cancelled right away. This was all done within 20 minutes of placing the order btw, but I'll just have to wait and see if it actually happens.

• Fr
    Frustrated222222 Sep 25, 2013

I have an odd situation with Midwest Publishers. I have never had any interaction with them. However, in the spring I started getting calls on my cell phone for a person I've never heard of. When I tell the person calling ( who never identifies themselves, by the way), they have the wrong number, thay curse at me, yell at me, etc. One of the times they called and harrassed me, I was home from work because I had major surgery a couple days earlier. Again, I was cursed at and hung up on for not being or knowing the person they were looking for. Tonight was the last straw. I had not received any calls from them for a while. I answered my phone when I saw an 888 phone number. The woman asked me if the same person was available. I said, " Sorry, you have the wrong number." She then verified the number she called, I said it was correct. Again, she still hasn't identified herself. She then asked if this was a landline or cell phone number. I told her cell phone. She then asked how long I had the number. I told her it's >5 years. She then called me an "F-ing lying B" and hung up on me. I called back the 888 # on my caller id and found out the name of the company. Of course, I couldn't reach a live person. Anyone have any tips on how to end these calls once and for all?

• Bu
    buddyrmac Aug 06, 2013

The easiest way to get there attention is to ask them if they want an inquiry from your State's Attorney General. That should move them along.

• Ne
    neveragainthisgullible Apr 01, 2013

I called today and the first thing I said was "please promise not to yell at me. I've had terrible customer service experience in the past". Then I asked to cancel my subscription and they said okay. I asked for a cancellation confirmation number they said they would send me a letter with my cancellation on it. I repeated at least three times that "my account will not be billed next month" and the customer service rep said "yes that is correct". Lets hope they won't bill me!!!

• On
    onemadlady Mar 18, 2013

I did some research online about "Statue of Fraud" and called the company back. Started throwing some facts at them, and all of a sudden after they continued to argue with me, my subscription was canceled. Told them that anything that was "deceptive and unfair" was illegal. That statue states that any goods sold over $500 has to be in a written contract. Over the phone is not good. They tried telling me that when they sent me the confirmation(that I said I didn't get), that was our contract. I said that was unfair. If I didn't get it, how was I saying I was agreeing to it. He told me I earlier admitted I got the letter. I told him, no I didn't say that. I asked him if he sent the confirmation registered? How can you prove I got it? You can't! So, next month we will see if I get charged. I did get a confirmation number.

• Es
    escott5483 Mar 06, 2013

Midwest publishers is a scam they actually drained my bank account. someone got a hold of my credit card number over there and went on a little shopping spree and drained my bank account. they are a joke and it took me 6 weeks to get my money back because of them i closed that bank account and went elsewhere and opened up another bank account and i haven't heard from Midwest publishers since i changed bank accounts. they also told me i could cancel my subscription at any time i never seen an agreement and they told me i was in the contract for 5 years and then they i told them i never seen an agreement and never signed a contract at all and they told me that when i said yes to the contract over the phone that was me saying yes to the contract. i also told them to cancel my subscription they told me no and they also said that in the state they live in that when i agree over the phone that is a contract still. i don't think so it isn't an agreement until i sign something or until i read something. I never agreed to anything over the phone this company is a joke. I even talked to a supervisor over there and he told me the same thing about the contract. I am going to contact the attorney general and the better business bureau about this company.

• To
    tonic332 Nov 16, 2012

I'm so glad I was able to read these posts! I can't believe I have been paying these people for the last couple of years. I think my total was around $500, but I was oblivious at the time. I still get magazines I never ordered and I have asked them to stop. I get phone calls from them to. I just sent them a payment and for some reason, they never received it. I also asked them to send me a bill. They never that either. Man, am I the stupid one.

• Me
    m.e.b May 24, 2012

I was just reading some of your posts about Midwest Publishers. Is this the same company based in New Hope, MN? They are the ones who are trying to collect from me for magazines another company is also charging me for. They seem to change location, go to another state, use different phone numbers, etc. MidWest Publishers, Inc. are the ones on my last nerve, home office in New Hope, MN, and there's quite a bit of negative posts concerning thus company. I recently dealt with Magazine Solutions of Lakewood, Colo. They took $ from my bank account before I ever saw an 'agreement', actually, I never did see one. I finally told them my attorney was involved now and would take them to Small Claims if they did not stop this scam. They quit, because I had figured them out! These companies must sell each other our names and info because now I have Midwest and Direct Clearing trying to make me pay for magazines. Still working on these ones though.

• Si
    SimplyMeii Nov 24, 2011

I just recently received a letter form Midwest publishers saying that they are going to refer my account to collections in 75days if i don't call and make arrangements to pay the 787 dollars in full!! Are these people out of their minds?? I have tried over and over again to cancel with this company but the keep saying that i cannot cancel because they have already paid a company in FULL for the magazines (sounds like a lie). But i tired of being harassed by these people every week. So if anyone has any information can you please email me [email protected]
    Glad i use a walmart card instead of my bank card...

• Su
    suarezm Sep 22, 2011

I keep getting threatening calls from Midwest Publishers Collections and they're demanding that I pay the balance of my bill which is close to $500.00! Can anyone please please please help me get them off my back? They call me at work also. I never agreed to pay this outragious amount of money for stupid magazines that i don't even want or read! The ones that I did want they told me weren't in publication anymore. LIARS! I looked the magazines up and the general public can still get them. I get Bass Masters, I've never fished and I'm not interested in ever fishing, Some Gold magazine, no one is my household golfs, well, maybe miniture golf, Some Entepenuer who cares, Parent Magazine my daughter is 34 years old yeah I have grandchildren but she's doing just great without a Parent Magazine. Get the picture everyone? I never ordered these magazines and don't want them. So, please help me! Thanks. Maria

• Em
    Emily1987 Sep 20, 2011

Personal question, has anyone actually been taken to collections since they disputed with this company? Just want to be prepared.

• Em
    Emily1987 Sep 20, 2011

Yep I got scammed too. The rep I talked to was a complete bully and was not nice at all. They wanted me to pay the outstanding bill of over $1000 and when I said no they said they had just filled with collections against me. They tried to offer me a deal of only paying $800 but I refuse to pay for a service I do not want. The company never sent me any copies of what I had agreed to in the mail or over the internet. The only documentation I have is their magazine list. They would not let me hear the conversation from the day I signed up. Maybe I would pay up if I heard myself say the words. The whole thing is a huge scam. It sounded like there was a party in the backgroud. I got hung up on. Horrible customer service! The guy I talked to gave me attitude like a teenager would and tried to suggest how I live my life. Anyone have any suggestions on how to not end up paying any money at all??

• Sc
    scott miga Aug 23, 2011

I just received my subscription and formto fill out for my $1000.00 Prize, which will probably be junk. I had a bad feeling after I hung-up from my winning call from Midwest Publishing Co.that it was a scam, and now I know it was. I have been unable to get anyone to answer the telephone at Midwest to say I want out. However, after reading complaints from others who have been scammed, it does not look like it will be easy to get out of But I am going to try!!!

• Su
    suarezm Jul 08, 2011

I cancelled my visa debit card and they called me back and threatened to report it on my bredit report and send me to cellections. I didn't get the letter stating that I had signed up for $598.00 worth of magazines until weeks later and they had already taken money from my account. They said that i was too late and I couldn't cancel even thought I had just rec'd my letter. They then put me on $14.95 a month payment and I still wasn't getting the magazines that i wanted. They're sending me magazines that i throw or give away because I don't care for them. Can someone please help me to get them off my back?

• Li
    lightisnice Jun 29, 2011

Thank you for your postings! You have helped me greatly! This is a scam and Jason and Tammy are really working it!
    I was able to cancel my thing with them as told to me by Jason yesterday, as I was in the week cancel period. He told me that he was not able to refund my initial payment because he needed it for his admin. costs! He had also told me that he does not know of what is represented on the web page for the $1000 shopping spree (has not seen it) "Because any of my employees could then go on it and rack up a spending spree!, but postage and handling would be minimal unless it was a bulky item!" Yes, I told him it was not lawful to keep my $ without services received. and he knows he is an ###. many times over.

So i called my bank. (Wells Fargo Bankers are so Great) This is an Unauthorized Transaction because it is made by a third party whom is not the sender of the goods and I did not receive the merchandise. My bank will recapture the funds from them. I also needed to cancel and change my card in order to prevent future fraud from them. Good Luck!

• Ni
    Nix N May 26, 2011

The Midwest Publishers definitely sounds like a scam. My wife has the same problem as you all. This magazine company don't even care who it is dealing with especially its customer's consent, budget and background and so forth. All they want to do is to make money!!! My wife is being billed for atleast about $600 for six months of services for a contract she did NOT even agree to initially. They have been sending these magzines or articles which are utterly irrelevant to us. It's NOT that she tried to called them to STOP it initially (she has tried every means) but they have insisted that she has a 3 year contract commitment with they and she has to pay irrespectively- this is totally a LIE!! This publisher's treatment has been a 'nightmare' for us especially when my wife was expecting our baby and the company is taking advantage to suppress our limited budget. They called recently and told my wife a so-called debt-recovery team (legal team) will follow up to collect this sum for the organization. This is really a torture for us - please let us know when one of you find out the solution to this problem. Our email is [email protected] Thanks!

• Ea
    EASELLS36544 May 17, 2011

I have the same problem. I received their letter in the mail after the 7 days cancellation period. I have not received any magazines but yet they say I am obligated to the publishers for the subscriptions and they refuse to cancel it. I threatened to close the account that it is billed to and they said it would go against my credit as an unpaid bill. I am tempted to contact the published directly. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? There are numerous complaints to the Better Business Bureau against them. Please contact me if you have a solution [email protected]

• Vi
    victoria lynn May 13, 2011

how can i stop these people from billing me ?! i just got the phone call today :(

• Sh
    Sheila D. Kiser May 12, 2011

When they talk to a person they put you down. I thought you should have time before you could canceled the order. They are nasty with the people that they talk to. Try to explain to them about why you changed your mind, they get mad. I have wrote a nice litter. In other words you should be able to cancel the order anytime. I will never do business with this company again.

• Ka
    kala123 Apr 29, 2011

Yep the same thing happened to me. I called in to cancel because everything they said was a lie and I haven't even got my magazines yet and they wouldn't do it. They said I'm locked in when in the beginning they said that it was no contract and I could cancel anytime. I haven't signed anything, but they are still making me pay $44.85 for 20 mos.

Charles R. Mar 08, 2011

The same thing happened to me. I was promised by the telephone salesman that I could cancel at any time. Now they will not. The total payment is $897.00 dollars over 20 months. Is this not a scam? How do we get some help on canceling this? I didn't sign anything.

• Ag
    AGrubbs Mar 02, 2011

did you get the $1, 000 gift card? I just talked to them today and was looking up information about them and found your complaint.

• Ni
    nicka0246 Sep 08, 2009

im am dealing with the same problem but worse i think. i sent out a cancelation letter in writing that i would like to cancel my account because im a single mother and i have to cut back and i can definetly live without magazines. i kept recieveing bills so i called customer service and they claimed they never recieved it(bs). so i said to her than cancel my account RIGHT NOW, i want nothing to do with your company and hung up angry. its been its been almost 8 months and ive just recieved another bill for an outragious amount, you have got to be out of your mind if you want me to pay that amount since i canceled by letter and verbally on the phone. did she not understand what i want to cancel meant. now im trying to reach the number and i cant seem to reach them its the same message that they're either busy or on the phone. so i went online and found another number, they too are not answering. im starting to think that they are not a legit company. advice to anyone planning on signing up with this company STAY AWAY. your better off subscribing with the actual magazine companies instead of dealing with liars and scammers like this company. and by the way where are my forms and papers that i was supposed to recieve, never got those either

jodie roberts Sep 07, 2009

they call you, and make it sond like you get magezines from them, then when you get the bill and find out they are not with the magezines you get, and you try to cancel they say you can not. then they will let you out of itby paying a fee. they say you have to return the cancelation and disclosure form that they sent when you subscribed. They never sent it to us and we did not even know about the form until we received a copy of it from the credit card company. The BBB was no help because the company will not change the policy. They call and harass us and will not let you talk to management until you give them more info about yourself which is just part of their run around. Anyone that does call is not able to help you. My main compaint is the run around and that they are lying as they did not send the forms to us as they should have.