Menu
Home Building, Construction Menards awful place to work in

Menards  - awful place to work in

V
Author of the complaint
6:09 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Menard's inc. is a HORRIBLE place to work the don't care about their guest or there team members they care about making money like the rest of America, so tell Menard's to stop ling in all there advertisements about caring about quality and service. They are full of s***, they force you to stay after they close and clean even when your schedule off at a time and tell you u cant leave until u finish. They wont let you take lunch unless u stay an extra half hour to make up for you taking a lunch. The owners of Menard's are piece of *** and need to learn how to help and take care of their employees Menard's inc. is a sweet shop of modern day. I hope Menard's goes out of business soon. and john and Larry Menard have to live on the street. Menard's *** and Larry and john r going to *** for their greed and how they treat people!

Helpful? 0 1

More Menards complaints & reviews

Menards - menards and designer image vinyl lock floor problem-$4000 plus
Menards - mastercraft doors
Menards - rebate scam
Menards - fraud and scam
102 comments

I completely agree that Menard's is highly unfavorable towards its employees. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very hard worker and have a solid work ethic. The fact is that Menard's essentially trains its higher-ups to find ways to scam the most money out of guests (customers) and overwork team-members (employees). And, as you can see, they sugarcoat it. There are complex ### procedures that you basically bar employees from ever attaining fair pay and conditions at work.

Although I'm a head cashier now, I started out as a carry-out, and believe me, they get the worst of it. Most of the labor-intensive stuff, or the duties that none of the other departments want to do is directed towards carryouts. There's so much to do in a shift that you have to rush to complete your job, and then department managers get angry if you make a mistake. For example, Carry-outs do returns for the entire store, which means about 200-250 a day. They, even though they are at the bottom of the totem pole, have to know where everything in the entire store is.

A few years back, when I was carry-out, I misplaced a pack of screws. A few days later a customer tried to buy them and complained that the price was wrong. In less than five minutes we had it sorted out, but the guest filed a complaint, and I was nearly fired.

The bottom line is that Menard's is nothing but a spiteful web of greed and blame, with a filthy-rich spider slavering right in the middle.

Thats a good comment 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

P
Oct 17, 2019 6:09 am

You can’t judge the entire company on one store. I started out as a cashier, then to a head cashier, and now a dept manager. Cashiers do returns in our store. Not carryouts... yes the job as a carry out SUCKS. You’re out there in the cold, rain, and heat. But that job is meant for HS kids as a foot in the door. Like most companies you have to work your way up. No the hourly pay isn’t great. But, IPS and manager bonuses make it worth it. It’s an incentive for people to WANT TO move up in the company

K
Mar 04, 2009 6:09 am

Menards hires people to surf the web and prevent any bad publicity. They even own menardssucks.com.
Most of what you see here are the uppers trying to put down the complaint. But the complaint is true. They treat their employees HORRIBLY. They even make you sign a contract stating you will pay them if you cause damages for more than 500. Which is not legal in wisconsin but they dont tell you that. Even if you sign it, since the contract is against the law the contract is not valid so the excuse "you signed it" doesnt even work.

Menards also is known to dump haz waste, or burn treated wood, and will rather pay the DNR the fine then dispose of it. Dont belive me? Look it up, theres been cases on it.

Dec 17, 2019 6:09 am

Menards is a horrible place to work you are correct

F
Jun 19, 2018 6:09 am

the damages doesn’t exceed that $500. Last I heard it’s $260. Haven’t a clue where you got $500.
And I don’t think they really hire people to surf the web and put positive reviews to compensate negative reviews. They have more things to do with their time n money. There’s a place for workers like you. It’s called Home Depot and Lowe’s. I’ve been to Lowe’s once. Never again. Went in Home Depot once... never again. Only one person approached me and pointed where the restroom was.

L
Feb 26, 2009 6:09 am

I have been with Menards for about 8 years. You say that they treated you like crap, I find that hard to believe unless of course you were being helped by the lady who posted below you. Everyone at Menards has one objective everyday. That objective is to help the guest and make sure that they are happy with their purchase and continue to shop at Menards. As for the guy who is complaining about haveing to stay a half hour late. Your the reason people have to stay late, because you are too busy crying that you actually have to do something then actually doing it and getting it done. Your getting paid, its not like your putting up your own time for nothing. Menards is more than a paycheck, it teaches you responsibility and the value of a good work ethic. It teaches the importance to got the extra mile not just for the guest but for yourself. I wouldn't expect you to understand that because you like many other people think that everyone owes you something instead of you proving yourself to someone else. Your scared!

Dec 17, 2019 6:09 am

Stupid menards stooge grow a brain

D
Aug 03, 2017 6:09 am

Earn you keep, "Upper Management. Straight fact! Menards is crap in totality.

Dec 11, 2016 6:09 am

Also, letting the employees that you cannot count on continue to pick up a paycheck while you're working the ones that you can count on will only leave you with employees that you can't count on. The company is hurting for people all over given the ridiculously high turnover rate. My advice to Menards is that they should focus on fixing their current issues & look at the operations of a similar successful employer (i.e. Costco) and mimic that.

Dec 03, 2016 6:09 am

Dude, you crack me up. You seriously must be delusional if you think Menards is such a great job. Menards is by far the worst job I have ever had! Most of the people who make Menards their "career" are lazy workers who know how to kiss-up to the right manger so they can do the bear minimum, their too lazy to find a worthwhile career, and/or let the profit sharing and the bonuses trap them. I admired the culture of hard work at Menards, but the overall talent level of the company is lacking. Anyone that is a decent employee only stays to get the minimum experience to move on to a better company, quits for a better job, or works at getting a college degree to better themselves. Unlike what LockJawCowboy says, most of the complaints that you see here are valid and these workers are NOT LAZY. In truth, Menards is a disorganized hell-hole that acts unprofessional toward employees and doesn't give them the training or tools to succeed. Favoritism and verbal abuse from both co-workers and customers runs wild at this place. Whether you have a good work ethic or not, managers promote and give out the best schedules and more hours to ones who know how to kiss-### the best over someone's qualifications and their work performance. I think your the one that is scared to move on to a "grown-up" career like I did. I'm glad I got a college degree, so I don't have to make this "dead-end retail job" as my career. The company I work for now is a complete 180 of this place and I couldn't be happier working there.

E
Feb 16, 2009 6:09 am

I agree with the above comment. I have worked there for 1 1/2 years and have NEVER had any problems whatsoever. I get the hours I request, I get the days off I request, my managers are very understanding of my school schedule. If I have to stay late (tonight I had to stay a half hour late to process a return) I just think of it as more money in my pocket. If you have a good work ethic, you will do just fine. Menard's isn't like other places...you actually have to work when you go to work there!

Dec 17, 2019 6:09 am

Good doggy sit up for your master

Nov 26, 2008 6:09 am

I've been here for 15 years and have never had a problem. Obviously the problem is with you. If you had any type of work ethic, you would get along just fine. Its people like you that think Menards, and anywhere else you will ever work, owes you something. They gave you a job, prove that you deserve it.

Dec 17, 2019 6:09 am

You like the crack of masters whip on your back dont you beta male

Jul 29, 2019 6:09 am

I agree as well. I worked really hard to learn as much as I could about the products, store policy and about how our products should be used. I took ALL the in home training classes--including Spanish and Contractor Desk. The department managers and store managers were really good to me and when my mom was dying the HR coordinator took time out of her day to help me fill out paperwork so I could take emergency medical leave. When I needed more hours, they gave me all the hours I wanted. If it hadn't been for their kindness, I would have lost my house. There's no such thing as the perfect place to work, but I worked really hard for them and they recognized my hard work. It's the kids that constantly call off sick, walk in late or goof off that resent being told to work. It isn't a social club, you're there to do a job not hang out with your buddies and goof off.

B
Nov 20, 2008 6:09 am

Well you know what they say on Karma, payback comes sooner or later...I was hurt 8 yrs. ago and pretty much hung out to dry, John Menard and his managers put me under even kept my earned Profit sharing, have been living in next to poverty not able to work full time or even Pt after they payed attorneys to change injurys in court, ended up on ssdi living on 1/4 on what I was earning.It was shown in ssi hearing with University Drs. with there own menards Dr. Records that they "were" work injurys .I live daily taking pain pills and now stomach meds. I pretty much lost my marrige even though I am still here they only thing I have left is my dogs and half the home I am in...so this economy is like natures payback for me..every bit of stock and stores he looses is like 5 minutes of the life they took from me...

Oct 20, 2008 6:09 am

I second this. I hate the ###ing place. Treated like ### and people that shop there treat us like ###.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

563 complaints