Menardsawful place to work in

Menard's inc. is a HORRIBLE place to work the don't care about their guest or there team members they care about making money like the rest of America, so tell Menard's to stop ling in all there advertisements about caring about quality and service. They are full of s***, they force you to stay after they close and clean even when your schedule off at a time and tell you u cant leave until u finish. They wont let you take lunch unless u stay an extra half hour to make up for you taking a lunch. The owners of Menard's are piece of *** and need to learn how to help and take care of their employees Menard's inc. is a sweet shop of modern day. I hope Menard's goes out of business soon. and john and Larry Menard have to live on the street. Menard's *** and Larry and john r going to *** for their greed and how they treat people!

Anne Henderson Apr 19, 2020

The only people who work At Menards are people who can't find jobs at other places or have a bad background menards does not do background checks. loser menards. do not work there.

• Th
    The Master Reviewer Mar 02, 2020

I have worked at Menards for a little over one year. I have seen the good and the bad, but then all companies have both. I have a dedicated Department manager that helps you in any way he can. The Assistant Department Manager is a joke, he talks bad about any guest that has ANY sort of complaints, and slacks off (delegates everything, and sits around). As a part-time employee the benefits are non-existant. With how (what they expect) treat heir managers, I would not become one. The other staff members are great, they help if/when needed. They come from other departments, which is great!!

• Ro
    RonJeremy Apr 11, 2019

Menard's is a joke. I loved the place at first, then I realized it was a bunch of losers that are stuck in a highschool loop, brainless honky tonk hoes, and [censored] kissing soy boys that listen to Alan Jackson in their halloween costu... Er Wranglers and cowboy boots. Watched the store fall apart for years, through a remodel and an entire management change and the place is more of a joke than ever. The HR Coordinator couldn't coordinate his [censored] from a hole in the earth. He and several others follows my trail everywhere trying to find dirt on me and apparently thinks I don't notice. He's even got undercovers trying to follow me. This [censored] is unreal. I'm not that easy guy. And I'm recording everything.

If your a boring generic [censored]bag that likes to stand around and talk about football and pussy for the thousandth time today and got a 17 on your SAT then this job is for you while you get that super awesome Liberal Arts degree.

:D

Freddie200 Jun 19, 2018

I’ve worked at Menards for 2 1/2.Oddly the ones that I see slacking off usually quit. Hmmm. I for one think it’s a GREAT PLACE to work. I for one am not lazy. I take pride in my job. I adore my guests. I have those that request me. It’s true there are some manager that are egotistic. I for one am fortunate that our management isn’t. It’s unfortunate that so many of you had bad experiences. Not all of us that enjoy working there are lazy. I love a hard days work. Put it this way, so many times our GM will have the iPad doing the to do list and I’m already in the middle of accomplishing the task. I’m not a kiss [censored]. I was raised, “you see something needed done, do it/ if I tell once don’t make me tell you twice”.
    I’m excited to get back. I miss my Menards family. I miss my guests. So understand folks, it’s not Menards in general, it’s a management problem, or lack of enthusiasm on ones part.

• Za
    Zachary Frye Jun 02, 2018

Buddy you're a [censored] [censored] I love working at Menards making money is the goal of every company. Saying they don't care about there guest is ridiculous they do. I've been here for 5 years and have had no problems if I even feel a little sick they tell me to go home they give you plenty of raises and everything else. And what do you mean that staying after is bad THAT'S CALLED BEING AN ADULT. Please if you want to slam a company again use proper grammar and know the facts you [censored]

• He
    Heather Zeis-Forrey Mar 23, 2017

You're delusional. You must've been a rotten employee. I love my job and the people I work with at Menards! ###.

• Ji
    jimmy4342 Feb 07, 2017

I work for menards warehouse and i love my job,

• In
    Inventorygirl1 Jan 07, 2017

Wow! For those of you who are whining about having worked at or are currently working at Menard's, get a life. You want a better job, go out and get one. You are not forced to work there or anywhere unless you want to. Work hard, be on time and do your job and you can go as far as YOU want. Also, if you think you are so much smarter than others than you should first learn how to spell and use punctuation when you complain. I started out five years ago and got more than the starting pay because I ASKED for it and had a good work history. Please quit if you don't like working at Menard's and let the rest of us do our job!

• Sl
    Sly Birchem Nov 01, 2016

I am an employee and LOVE my job. My co-workers, the management and other managers are wonderful to me and the customers. I work at the world's largest Menards and we have many returning satisfied customers and happy employees

• Jl
    Jlofromtheblock Apr 26, 2016

I've been with Menardd for 6 months, started out as a cashier and i am currently working service desk. I was rushed up to service desk as a customer service representative bc another girl quit. I did 3 days of "training" aka read a bunch of papers and was put up there all by myself on the fourth day. I had 0 training over the rental center granted i came from a cashier position knowing the bare minimum about construction tools and all the pieces to put it together. Management gets super upset when i call them down for a swipe which has to be done on anything over $100. I get treated like another drill bit on the shelves. The loyal guests are what make the day 10x better, but that alone is not enough to make me stay
    Proud to say I'll be moving on next month! If you're thinking of working there for any reason other than for extra cash, save the hassle and choose somewhere else!

JoeSmith_369 Apr 13, 2016

Menard's is the only greed factory between Menard's, Home Depot and Lowe's that doesn't except military discount. Why would one shop there unless there is no choice?

• Mc
    MC15 Feb 26, 2016

I have no clue if your talking to me, but this site has spell check. I ran my comment thru spell check on Microsoft Word just now and there was no spelling errors expect for a couple of places where I should have used "you're" instead of "your". I also purposely used "&" instead of "and" to save space. So, I don't see the spelling errors you are talking about unless the English language has changed in the last 6 years since I graduated college.

• De
    DeadpoolAintDead Feb 25, 2016

I agree with your comments. But seriously man, check your spelling before posting. You'll be taken more seriously that way.

• Mc
    MC15 Jan 31, 2016

I'm a former employee that quit & left for greener pastures. Sorry for the lengthy review, but there's "too many issues" to working for Menards. All in all, Menards is a "dead end retail job" that acts unprofessional toward employees, doesn't give them the tools or the training to succeed, & think they own you & your time. I would never recommend employment there! Overall, the corporate culture & the terrible management made the working environment very toxic, hostile, negative, and very stressful. The company still operates with a top down, fear-based management style where the workers are considered easily replaceable. Management uses fear of job loss or threat of demotion to motivate on a daily basis. There's no loyalty to the hard working employees. Management isn't afraid to fire or demote you without valid cause or something trivial. Also, there's virtually no positive reinforcement & not very much appreciation for your hard work from your superiors. They allowed blatant examples of favoritism by superiors & verbal abuse of employees by customers & co-workers. They criticize your efforts by being rude to you & berating you. Also, they allowed customers to get someone fired or demoted when they were courteous & following standard/corporate procedures. Micromanagement is a horrible issue with Menards which can be demoralizing & frustrating (especially when it gets in the way of the employee doing their job effectively and efficiently). Another big issue is that corporate penny pinches & cuts corners on everything and focuses more on catching mistakes then improving stores. Corporate expects a lot from employees, but offers little support to help them do their job efficiently. Lack of adequate equipment/materials to do your job well. Their technology & equipment is severely outdated & constantly breaking down. The inventory system is just awful & counts are always off which led to unhappy customers & you going on wild goose chases for items that might have been stolen by thieves or never came to your store from distribution. My store & others in my area look runned down & have an outdated appearance. There's no innovation & a lack of communication from corporate. Very unsafe place to work (OSHA laws ignored). You are forced to do tasks without the proper safety equipment. They make you buy your own equipment & uniforms. Also, every department in the store is understaffed & messy. The payroll to sales ratio (which is dictated by corporate) is so unbalanced that most departments can't afford to have enough people working to take care of all the freight and other tasks and help customers. This contributes to the overall messiness & disorganization of the store and poor customer service. Corporate continues to require more with less & can't seem to comprehend why stores are messy & understaffed. Essentially, this led to employee burnout from the overworking of workers with little time off to recover. You can tell that most of the people at corporate where out of touch with the reality of the daily operations of a store by the tasks they assigned or their solutions to fix issues that arise. Corporate also set up some of the craziest, write up happy rules & attendance policy I've ever seen for a workplace. They are ruthless. If you make one minute mistake, your written up or even fired (even if your the model employee). They would rather demote, transfer, or fire an employee than take the time to do corrective action to fix an issue or mistake (non-fireable offense) that arises. If you call in for missing a day of work, they require you to have documentation (ex. doctors note) for every incident (even for a family emergency, funeral, the common flu or cold), otherwise your written up. Also, there's a lack of trust by corporate & management. Security cameras were more focused on employees' productivity rather than actual thieves who walked out with product. Policies & procedures (half of which aren’t even followed) are ridiculously extensive & management is inconsistent in enforcing them. This again caused more disorganization in the store. Teamwork is almost non-existent. If you ask for help from another employee, management scolds you for using up spare employees. Overall, very low standards as far as promoting employees to jobs they are not qualified or trained to perform. I admired the culture of hard work at Menards, but the overall talent level of the company is lacking. Most people working there have very little education or no real world working experience outside of Menards. Part of this is because FT employees can't attend college & Menards doesn't seem to promote college education (at least at the store level). Generally, co-workers are cool & easy to work with, but others are immature & either lazy workers, liars, kiss-###, or back stabbers (or all the above). There's a lot of clicks & gossip/drama between co-workers, which would drive you nuts & remind you of high school. In general, the overall management is very unprofessional & incompetent & ran by people with no degrees or any knowledge of business what-so-ever. I would venture to say that 75% of the management have no business being in these positions. Most promotions into management are based on favoritism rather than on someone's qualifications. There slogan should be, kiss ### & be successful at Menards. Managers are usually always irritated or annoyed, because corporate is always switching policies on them, auditing them, and other general nonsense. Upper management is only helpful when they want to be & there's no leadership from them. Employees, especially new hires, are given too much misleading information by upper management, so they can secure their job. All in all, managers are totally taken advantage of by this company. Most managers work close to 3, 000 hours a year & make less then $50, 000. Many either quit or step down as a result. Relocation also is a must if you want to you move up in the company. Basically, training is all on you between doing massive amounts of mundane training paperwork with little to no direction from management & the useless in-home training courses which is not paid for & voluntarily done on your own time at home (if your ever there). The staff (in some departments) does not promote growth in their employees. Also, they played musical chairs with the staff, so no one knew anything about the department they worked in. Complaints or suggestions for improvement by subordinates are not taken seriously, simply swept under the rug. FT benefits also stink (expensive health insurance co-pay for little coverage, no sick days, vacation time was minimal & required too much time to build days, the holiday bonus is store credit, employee discount is PRD & you can only spent up to a certain limit, & no 401K match). Low hourly wage (especially for managers) & there's no commission on sales. Basically, you will not have a work/life balance (especially managers) due to an outdated culture of all work & no play. Your schedule fluctuates (random hours each week), so you could never plan anything in advance. Long shifts of 10+ hours with only a 30 min lunch & two 10 min breaks.Going home at your scheduled time is viewed badly sometimes. If you worked until closing, you never knew what time you would leave & sometimes you would have to open the next day with less than 5 hours of sleep. They have an unwritten policy that Menards is priority #1 (even over your health, family, home, attending college, or important obligations/tasks outside of work). It’s very obvious that their low prices come at the expense of their employees. All these cons resulted in a ridiculously high turnover rate. No one in their right mind would make this place their career, unless your lazy or delusional. Why some people let the profit sharing check and the bonuses trap them is beyond me. Seriously, some of you guys need to stop believing that Menards is the best job out there & stop using the work ethic or get a job card against anyone who questions Menards' treatment of employees. In reality, Menards is a horrible employer & the work is not that difficult or challenging. Actually, the work can get quite monotonous & boring. If you like problem solving & free thinking look elsewhere. Thank goodness I got a college education. To my fellow college grads, find a better career. I know I am much happier with mine!

crp1726 Jan 20, 2016

I've worked at Menards for 2 1/2 years. After todays incident I will likely be leaving.

Verbal abuse has been terrible. For instance, while recovering from a shoulder injury, which I suffered at work and received medical treatment for, being told I need to "toughen up".

After sweeping much of the store, more than just 'my department', (it was a slow work day) instead of being thanked, I was screamed at in a high angry tone "THATS NOT YOUR JOB"

Today I asked my department manager if I could help in flooring them hardware, (nowhere else had any work). He said yes. Typically over the years this has been my pattern, I float to the departments that need help. So I helped in flooring, then spent about an hour in Hardware. At the end of that time I decided to sweep Millwork (my normal department). So I punched out of Hardware. An assistant manager starts harassing me about what I was doing there, and if I had permission. Then yelling at me "IM TALKING TO YOU" as I walked toward Millwork to punch back in. (I was off the clock). She then called the store manager and me, her, the store manager and two other top managers had a 15 minute meeting in the middle of the hardware department discussing why I was doing this... SERIOUSLY... Im not kidding O_o

There are many more incidents like this I could go on and on about, but I think you get the idea. The verbal abuse there is horrific, and I think it is time I finally left. BTW I work at the Menards in Antigo WI.

crp1726 Jan 20, 2016

I have worked for Menards for over two years. The verbal abuse and disrespect shown to me by managers, assistant managers, other employees is the worst of any place I have worked.

I still 'technically' work there. But after the incident today, I will be leaving. Verbal abuse is a serious issue, and getting reported to management simply for doing your job, or sweeping a department that you were not 'punched in' to since there was no other work to do, is ridiculous.

Seriously...getting chewed out and screamed at to "cut the crap" just because you were stocking merchandise (my job), or sweeping... yes I was sweeping another department, but I thought that was being helpful...

Menards has been terrible to me.

Crystal Nicole Dec 20, 2015

I got let go at Menards just because I wasn't counting money back properly. One of the registers I was on was $90 short. I was completely devastated. Menards doesn't do a good job training their employees. One of the trainers I had decided to lock the main entrance doors so no one can enter the store. Later, the head fire cheif came to do some investigation and was not a happy camper when he saw the doors were locked. Menards needs to do a better job on training employees.

• Me
    menardstmth Dec 02, 2015

I honestly enjoyed working at Menards the first month or so. I enjoyed the $8.85 and the $2.50 extra per hour on weekends. It is a slightly better job than DQ. I've now worked at Menards for three months and it is awful. I hate going to work now. I get treated like s*** by the GM, certain co workers, and some of the customers. The worst part about Menards is that it is very boring. We have way too many people in my department (hardware). We typically get assigned 2 zones to face if you close. I always close. They give me 5-6 hours to do a job that takes 2 hours at the most. When I finish my zones they give me more zones. I typically face half of my department every time I work while everyone else does practically nothing. The worst part is that in the evenings the store is dead, so there is no one to help once you are done facing.
    Now here comes the worst part. They expect you to just stay by yourself the whole night and not talk to any one. Me and a down stocker had been working together. He would down stock and I would face. While we both worked, we would talk about various things. It helped the time go by faster. Over the past 2 weeks my GM has been treating not only me, but everyone else like s*** at the store. Today he told me that if he ever catches me talking to the down stocker again that I will no longer have a job at Menards. I felt like quitting right then and there. I worked there for over 3 months, I have always showed up to work on time (I have 0/9 points), I go far and beyond my job, and I still get treated like crap. The worst part is that the GM is a family friend and I have known him since I was 5 years old. I wish I could still say I like him, but I can't really say that anymore. I wish I had never applied at Menards.
    My department managers are nice, but the GM is a total D-Bag. Go ahead and fire me. It's not like it is that hard to find another job that pays at least $8.85 per hour.
    So you'll like Menards if you like being treated by crap by GM's, guests, and if you like being by yourself all day with no one to have a conversation with.

• Aa
    A A Ron Oct 15, 2015

I have worked full time at Menards for 8 months now and Im about ready to quit, I work 50+ hours. I work in yard/receiving and I have no problem with the management and most coworkers I get along with. It seems like no one has any pride or work ethic in their job and we are so understaffed its a joke. I have been the only one in the entire receiving department or yard on several occasions which is ridiculous trying to unload trucks and having to help guests at the same time while getting yelled at by the truck driver for helping guests or getting yelled at by guests for unloading trucks. I have been yelled at on many occasions by people especially contractors but I can't do anything about it because I don't want to get fired. And the managers do not stick up for you or take your side and I have pretty much lost my faith in humanity while dealing with customers who have unrealistic expectations and are usually very rude. Guests do not seem to realize we are a SELF SERVICE YARD, as in we do not need to hold your hand and you need to wait for us to help you, help yourself that is the whole point. I have never seen such laziness, I have no problem helping someone who actually needs help its just the people who are to lazy to load anything and waste my time that I could of spent helping someone else. And people also do not seem to realize that we cannot tie your loads down because then we would be liable. I know its not Menards fault that they are understaffed but I would like to know that they had my back on situations and that they would actually let me stick up for myself when it comes to rude and belligerent guests. But at this point it is just not worth it.

• Ha
    HaileyB Jun 21, 2015

I agree that Menards treats their employees bad. I've been working at the Menards on Morse Road for over a year now. At first I loved it, the co workers are great, some still are. But I noticed there's a ton of favoritism. There's some people that work there that have known each other prior to working at Menards. A girl took a fake hundred dollar bill and knew that she did but did not get fired. When your drawer comes up short, they do not tell you. I have two drawer shortages from a month ago and I was just notified this morning. The third shortage you get suspended for three days. If they would've told me before, the second WOULDNT of even happened. I pretty much got my first and only warning today that consisted of two warnings. They're so unfair. I also got blamed for misplacing products while doing returns. Yes I did once. I owned up to it but after that I havent. I wouldn't risk my job but I still get blamed for it every time. But the other girl does it too and never gets caught(also the fake money girl). The reason is she knows the managers and is dating a guy that works there. Favoritism. Do not work there. Too much drama too. Id love to leave, but hey I may get fired first.

• Pa
    patrick1313 Apr 22, 2015

I have been employed at the Shelby DC for almost a year now. I have been given write up after write up for violations that only pertain to certain individuals, or so it seems, we all notice. I decided to call corporate today and let them know of the favoritism that goes on when it comes to sanctions. I feel as if I were back incarcerated. Anyways, call corporate and went over my complaints with someone who directs me to another person who doesn't answer, or even have a voicemail haha needless to say, my next day off I am looking for another job.

• St
    Steve76798 Apr 03, 2015

• Fo
    former employee 88 Jan 29, 2015

I too believe that Menards is a horrible company to work for. Recently I was fired for telling my supervisor that is was ### he was using cuss words at me. I had multiple problems with this same supervisor and had made many complaints to all of the gms and even called the general office about the situation, once I called the general office they tried everything to get me to quit, me saying it was ### was there ticket to firing me and keeping me from getting unemployment. All this started when I told them my wife was sick with cancer, after that point they acted like they where gonna pay her bills so it was something they wanted gone, even though I didn't carry medical through them at all. I requested a change in departments many times and never was granted the change, I was told by the harassing supervisor that he was going to ride my ### until I couldn't take it anymore and then was told well he's your boss he has the right to ride your ### all he wants.
    I'm totally sick over how they handled the fact that I was being bullied by my supervisor day in and day out. I would be in the middle of something and four other employees would be free to do the asked upon task but I was told I had to go and do it, stop what I was doing and go and do what they told me because they could. That is horrible treatment of employees. Even though four other employees in the same department stood and did nothing or stood and talked and watched me bust my hump day in and day out.
    I was never late, I went in when they where short I did everything I was asked and then some. And when my supervisor started saying cuss words at me and telling me to just go ###ing do it because he wasn't going to go ###ing do it and I said it was ### he was cussing at me I was the one fired???
    Menards is truly a horrible company they do play favorites, they side with mangers over other employees all day long and the worst part is they fabricate things.
    They had another employee write a statement against me saying that I went into a rage, first off saying it's ### that he was cussing at me wasn't a rage, second there was NO one other than the superior and myself in the area that this took place so how could a mystery employee hear anything???
    Then when it went to unemployment court they sent a picture of the area after the incident had already taken place with a guest standing in view, when I asked and questioned if they had a picture of the actual incident I was told this picture was it, no it wasn't because I know there was no one besides me and the superior in that area. But menards did what they did because I made complaints against a Manger, because I was tried of six months worth of harassment and I asked to be moved.
    They are a horrible company once you step up and say anything they don't wanna hear. If your a good solider who does all and takes all they wanna give they are great, but the moment you step up and say hey this isn't right they put a target on your head and from there you are out of luck.
    I thank God my wife has good medical and that we didn't rely on menards for her cancer treatment because idk what we would do if we did. She is sick and they took the only money coming into my household. Thank god I have understanding children because they have gone without so we can get there mom to and from the dr.
    Would I suggest to anyone to work for or shop at menards? Only if you like being treated like crap and only if you support a company that when notified of a family members illness they target their employees to get them gone.
    They do not value family or anything. They are about making money and that is all. I am still going to fight what they did to me, what they put me through and what they allowed to happen day after day.
    I worked there for two plus years and at first I loved it, it wasn't until my wife got sick and I told them because we didn't know what was going on that things changed, the ways I was treated changed and the fact that they didn't want me there anymore changed. It's a sad but very very true fact...
    Menards should support there employees with sick spouses more not just try to push them out the door.

John 3311 Jan 18, 2015

I have been at Menard's for almost 9 months. I started off at Morning Stock in Shipping and Receiving and got my Fork lift license, something I never had before I started working there.
    I got Employee of the Month after 2 months. I started at $8.30 an hour and now I am at $9.50 an hour and Part time.
    I work in Evendale, OH, the BIGGEST store in the country out of 285 and ALL the managers and its employees are beyond respectful. Back on October 18, 2914 I dropped a pallet of Special Order garage doors and SHOULD have lost my job but they kept me on. If you are dedicated to quality and service they will work with you.
    If you want to see what REAL crap looks like, hold up a mirror and see what looks back at you.

• De
    Deets21 Dec 22, 2014

I agree. Menards is a ### place to work, keeping their employee's around by telling them about the amazing pay they recieve. I requested the weekend off for Christmas and I was approved, and I did this over a month ago so it shouldn't be anything new to them. Well I checked yesterday and get this...They scheduled me. Another note is I've missed a ton of work this month because I slipped going up the stairs ON THEIR PROPERTY and sprang my ankle. Which I warned them about the wet stairs to the break room. They don't give two ### about their employees at all. And to add to my ankle, I was told by a doctor, who also gave me a note to give to them that I needed 15 minutes during my shift at anytime to elevate my leg, which they never gave me that at all. And the manager was going to make me stand, until I complained and someone got me a stool. So in summary, I'll never work for menards again. If they can't get my schedule figured out, then I'm done. So tired of dealing with they're ###. Below is an image of my schedule, showing exactly everything I've stated above. For those who have been working here a long time, is there anything I can do? Because I'm going out of town and already have 8 points to my name. Should I just quit and move on? Or put up a fight with them?

Chad Parsons Oct 09, 2014

Menards is the weirdest, paranoid places to shop for home improvement goods. From my experience, they spend way too much time with theft prevention and precious too little time with customer satisfaction. To wit: that crazy jingle they play constantly which hasn't changed one note from day one. That and the fact that I'm followed in Menards by loss prevention staff almost every time I shop there, which, due to above, is no longer a problem. I quit shopping at Menards all together and don't miss it at all.
    Sorry, Menards - I'll save just as much money and have a much more pleasant experience at both Lowes and Home Depot. I'm a carpenter, not a juvenile delinquent.
    signed, Chad, a 60 year old carpenter/contractor

• Mg
    Mgnbrd Jun 27, 2014

NO! I worked at the Valparaiso IN store. They do not care about you as an employee. Your well being is not of their concern. You are simply employee number ____. The only thing they are worried about is profit. They follows the rules to perfection, which I understand. A business can not run off of people breaking the rules. I do however believe that there are some instances where over looking the rules are okay. I was early getting back from a break by 1 minuet and was written up. They will write you up for the most stupid and irrational things. They expect perfection 100% of the time.

freedom from menards Jun 07, 2014

The bald eagle manager of Menards is evil.

freedom from menards Jun 07, 2014

To all the defenders of Menards and calling us lazy, GET A LIFE!!! You must be a GO trolling websites to make your company look better, but you cant change that because we know the truth about how bad you guys treat your employees and customers. Since your practices are not sustainable, someday you guys will either downsize or go out of business. A guy that is worth billions of dollars can't even increase pay and offer competitive benefits to his workers. What a cheap ### and greedy ###. You may like working every minute of everyday and not spend time with your family but not everyone is that way. I don't get why rest/sleep is a forbidden policy in this company. Your managers look like zombies out there. If I owned a company, I would make sure my workers were well compensated and treated with respect and dignity. Well rested and happy workers means better productivity and increased profits for you.

freedom from menards May 31, 2014

To all the people saying were lazy and have no work ethics. Screw you and get a life!!! Retail is one of the worst jobs out there. Why don't you find a real, more skilled job in the real world outside of retail. Oh wait, you can't. Sucks to be you guys. Good luck at having no life and a lack of money and benefits at Menards. Really, what are you guys smoking or are blind to see this? Your probably the a**holes who create the not employee friendly and hostile work environment that it is. This place is runned by a bunch of ###s who think their somebody important. Oh well, Menards will someday go out of business since their practices and values are not sustainable, and the customers will eventually realize you guys sell cheap crap and shop elsewhere. I do pray you guys will see the light someday and change for the better.

freedom from menards Jan 27, 2014

To sum it up, Menards is not an employee friendly place and more like a blend of a Chinese sweatshop and a military boot camp.

freedom from menards Jan 25, 2014

Also, I felt like big brother was watching us on the cameras. They use them to spy on employees, not catch thefts. Felt weird like someone was watching over your shoulder all the time while working. They don't have good security there, and they rely on us to do that. I'm not a security guard, pay someone who's trained to do that cheap ###. Their attendance policy is very strick, and its one thing if your unreliable. If your car breaks down while going to work or your late from lunch, your written up and get points. Call in sick without a doctors note, you get written up. If your sick with the flu for instance, they want you to go and get a doctors note. I'm not paying $30 for the doctor to tell me the obvious, and they would be mad at me for coming into the office and getting others sick. Its one thing if you are actually ditching work on a regular basis, but I was reliable and worked hard, and they don't believe I'm sick screw them! I guess they have trust issues or something. This job is the typical dead end job unless your in corporate. They use IPS(extra money is nice) and just enough benefits to lure unsuspecting people in, but it doesn't make up for the lack of other benefits and perks, no work/life balance, and the crap up you have to put up with there from customers and co-workers/bosses. All there pay and benefits don't make up for that. Its funny how they think its the best job in the world. What are they smoking? Customers are dumb ### and rude who treat you as a subhuman. Alot of them lack common sense. Soemone once tried telling me a 2-cycle engine was more powerful than a 4-cycle engine for a weed wacker. There I have for warned you about working there, but I'm not saying to stop shopping there. They have some good stuff and bad stuff just like any retail store. I'm glad to be out of there, and enjoying living my life again!

freedom from menards Jan 19, 2014

Menards is by far the worst job I have ever had! To start, management is a joke and most are unqualified for the position. They are lazy and useless, but they sure love to play mind games with everyone to mark their authority over you. Most of them have no idea how to run a business, lack professionalism, waste payroll(loss of hours scheduled or sent home early), and they don't appreciate their employees hard work. There culture on employees is to turn and burn them, abuse them as far as they can, and break labor/Osha laws if they can. This is likely due to them having a lack of ethics and business sense or no formal college education in business and dumb ### rejects being picked by the GM or general office. This is because no one smart enough would want to move up(negatives outweight the positives), or if a qualified person moves up, they see what its for and step down or quit if they can. By the way, I never seen a place before have such high turnover of managers and team members. These people must have no life since they work 60+ hrs every week, no thanks! A good career, lol, thats if you dont want a work/life balance and family/friends. Pay is low, buts its retail better than others. On the other hand, benefits for full timers are terrible, such as no personal/sick days(must have a doctors note or written up and no pay), lack of vacation days at first(must work 2 years to earn a full week off), terrible health insurance coverage, the holiday bonus is store credit instead of cash(would be nice to have extra cash for expenses), and working rediciulous hours and having no set schedule as a full timer. Forget planning anything in advance. Its seems like management wants you there during all hours of operation as if you don't have a anything else going on in your life such as taking care of a house, family, etc. Its true from what I heard, Menards comes first everything else gets in the way. Forget having friends at work since its discouraged(don't like it if you meet up after your shift or a quick chat) and if you talk to the opposite sex they think your hooking up/dating. I feel like I was in high school again with all the drama and the immaturity of alot of co-workers. It does bring the worst out of you, and you feel depressed all the time. I know no job is perfect but this place was on the extreme of being bad. I have heard from other people I know say the same thing about this place being bad. When I got promoted to FT in less than a year, they lied to me about the perks such as having every other weekend off(gave me ### for asking why I was the only FT who had to do this and took over 2 months to change and didnt even give me 2 days in a row off during the week). They even had me work 10 days straight(no OT since it was in 2 different weeks) multiple times which is illegal in my state to work more than 6 days in a row. The GM wanted me to be a ###. DM so bad, but I saw what is was for. I finally had enough and stepped down to PT and went back to college. Then, I landed my new job. There's a point where you know you mean nothing to them, and they can can easliy replace you. The good things was I meet a couple good friends there which were most of the cool co-workers, earning a paycheck, and learning life lessons. Thank God I'm out of there and using my college degree. Now, I'm a scientist making more money, better benefits, enjoying my real career/appreciated for my hard work, and doing things to improve other people's lives, not treat them like carp. Maybe this hasn't happend to you defenders of Menards, but it has happend to alot of others including me so don't judge us and call us lazy. Maybe try listening and improving conditions for your employees otherwise your talented workers will move on to better jobs. Sometimes the truth hurts.

• On
    onceEmployed Dec 24, 2013

They should shut down menards !!!

• Vi
    VinceC Dec 12, 2013

I work at tip City in Ohio I've been here three months at Menards and they treat us fairly all of the GM's my bossare very understanding and seemed to helpI am 61 years old and I just love the way they treat people and their guest it sounds like a lot of you have not done different work wow I have I think it's a very great place to work and if I need to leave or take time off they are right there with me

• Jm
    JMD1976 Dec 03, 2013

I currently work for Signal 88 Security and work the gate at Menards in Topeka, KS. Most days I work 7 hour shifts (apparently so they can avoid giving me a lunch break for under 8 hours of work. Some days I work 9-9 1/2 hours. I don't get a lunch on those days. Sometimes I don't get a break. How many people can go 9 hours without using the bathroom? The days I don't get a break, I have to sneak around the fence by the gates and pee outside. I'm sure if I get caught doing this I'll be fired, but what am I supposed to do? If I just piss my pants, I'll probably get fired for that too. It's true that the management at Menards doesn't care one bit about their employees, and it's worse for me because I'm not a team member, so I'm looked at as less than human. I am almost at the end of my rope with this place. If they don't shape up soon, I will sue them for creating a hostile work environment and unfair work practices. I hope they're ready because I'll have the best lawsuit attorney in town on the case. Every day I have customers come out of the yard and say they will never come back. Smart move on their part.

• St
    Stormingcalm Nov 06, 2013

I work for the fairfield township store and have never had problems from them. They treat us very well there. I think this is like with any store, it really depends on the people working above you on how you are treated, you can't fairly say its menards as a whole.

• Iw
    Iwintoo Oct 30, 2013

I just began at Menard's. I'm a cashier. One thing I dislike is that the cash register till. I want a pre-counted till. Cashiers can jump onto any register. I don't want to be accused of messing up the till (over or under). You get written up if it is off $50. I believe you get a verbal warning and documentation if you are off $5. They tell you that the possibility of moving up is available, but that you would have to be willing to relocate. That doesn't seem feasible. I'm working to keep the home we own. I can't be on the road for an hour to the next Menard's!! I'm the secondary income. So we shall see how the pay raises, the upward mobility, the assistant management trainee programs really are. I think there are good FE managers, and the I think the GM is pretty good, at least at our store. Let's see how they are in working with you, schedule-wise, mistakes, etc. I'll stay as long as it is palatable, or until something better comes along. for now, Im going to try and make it work for me. Oh and training videos? What training videos?? I just read through the guides.

• Me
    Menardsman Oct 20, 2013

I agree with the last statement. When it comes to pay, I am extremely greatfull to be working at Menards. But the positives basically stop there. At my store, I can't stand the management. I work in the receiving department which if anyone works at one of the big Menards stores. U know that it is a very hard spot to keep up with. Example incoming trucks, guest with small and large pickup orders. Paper work. Freight to break down and overstock to put away. The list goes on and on. But after the end of doing all that. What do I get? A swift kick in the butt for more the next day. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about working. That's my job and I'm asking for it and I expect the same from others. Don't ### about your job that you are getting paid for. What gets me mad is when a guest somes in and hands my lazy ### manager that is acting like he is doing something important on the computer a picking ticket. Then they look at it and find out its a hard order to round up and hands it to the first receiver that he sees even when the receiver is already busy with a guest or unloading a truck that I guest has to get done in 45 minutes. I know management is just suppose to help guide their workers on what needs to be done. And I understand that but there is a fine line between lazy [censored]es or actually hard helping managers. I could write a book titled problems with Menards management. And how it has the most ### managers that I have ever witnessed. But I am already getting tired of typing. Another thing stupid about management is that they are extreme ###s when it comes to throwing their workers under the bus. I had a manager tell me to put freight in a certain part of the outside yard and a couple hours went by and the general manager saw it and yelled at my manager. Then I hear my same manager say that he did not know anything about it and so me being the one that did it. I got yelled at and told if I didn't want to put things in the right place then I could just go home. So management, you might not know if you are who I am talking about but if u want to test it. Try seeing if it gets silent when u walk in the receiving department or outside yard. That means u have someone pissed at you behind your back. And I don't want to hear anyone saying I have bad work ethic. I am the best worker in my department I come in early and stay late. And never do I leave work to do for the next shift of people coming in. I bust my ### for this company and get ### back in my face.

• Li
    lilhands093 Oct 16, 2013

I am a former employee. I will tell you everything you need to know about Menards. I hate Menards. I HATE menards with a passion. They have a very strict attendance policy called a point system. Basically, if you clock in 5 minutes after your scheduled shift, you get points. If you call off, you get points. If your late from a lunch break, you get points. If you accumulate 9 points, you get a 3 day suspension. If you get 10 points, you will be terminated. If you are part time, you get no vacation days, only Full-timers get the real benefits of this job. There are cameras everywhere and they are there to keep an eye on Employees, not guests, (customers). They want to catch you goofing off or stealing something, point blank period. Part timers don't make much, but the hours compensate for the low hourly wage. If your department manager doesn't like you, they won't give you much hours. You will be lucky if you get 30 hours for the week. Full Time employees make $1.50 more than part timers, and maybe more depending on tenure. The only way to make good money at menards is to work 40+ hours every week. Department managers work between 45-55 hours on average. They have no life. They live @ menards. Part timers are expected to close dam near every night. Full timers get to go home at a reasonable time because they get early morning shifts. You only get 2 paid ten minute breaks and an unpaid 30 minute lunch break. The work that you varies depending on your department, but just expect to stock shelves and clean up things on a regular basic. Front face items in aisles, downstock, everything is repetitive and boring. I stayed busy by helping customers, giving them great guest service and never being acknowledged for it even when doing it right in front of the GM's. (General Managers, or Big bosses). That's ok. Management is a serious case of favoritism. If they like you as a worker and as a person your good. If they are jealous of you or they don't like you for some reason, you will get mistreated and cheated out of good hours. I will personally call out the menards I worked for. HAMMOND, INDIANA store #3271. GM Rex Lamb is a coward who smokes to many cigarettes. He is very judgemental and is unfair to his most loyal employees. 1st Assistand GM Ed B. Is a short fat power hungry [censored]bag. They give out promotions to people who don't deserve them. Its all based on favoritisim. Human Resources is also suspect. Hardware Department Manager CHRISTOPHER FENTRESS is a homo. He sends his employees home early just so he can get a bonus on his paychecks and he takes a break every 15 minutes to smoke. The only good thing about menards was the cashiers some of them were sexy and a joy to look at everyday. I was a damn good worker. I did things no other employee would do. I wanted to do so much more, but REX and ED denied me of every single opportunity for improvement.
    So I quit. Menards as a company is not an employee friendly workplace. They don't "look out" for you at all. They will humiliate you if you let them, especially management because managers think they are above the law. It is all a Power struggle, too much power distributed among bosses and not enough respect being dished out. Profit sharing is a joke, only relevant to employees who have been there for 3-4 years plus. Menards is great for college kids looking for some income but don't plan on making it your career. Once again, to REX LAMB and ED B., both of you can burn in hell! Menards store #3271. ### Menards, ### REX LAMB, ### Ed, ### Walter (human resources), ### Christopher Fentress gay ###, ### Adam Stromeback, ### all Garret hardware 2nd assistant manager, just ### menards as a whole. There's. Better out there for us.