Menardsanti-consumer actions

M

A little RANT about CUSTOMER NO-SERVICE at Menards

[Posted this earlier to Menards Memes and just now hit up the Clark Howard page hoping that somewhere along the line the pencil pushers at Menards will see the problem and how it is perceived that shoppers may view how they are being treated.]

They need to fix the registers in Michigan City, IN so that #1, the screen on the payment device which used to display items and prices as they were being rung up, returns to showing the register data for the customer; and #2, that the register AND receipt reflects the true unit price when ringing up items on sale.

Seeing "12 @$3.99 $42.24 ($47.88 - $5.64)" doesn't clearly inform the customer during checkout that the item rang up at $3.52 per item.

Looking OVER THE Cashiers shoulder (cause I can no longer view the tally on the customer's pay pad) I see a price I know it isn't. I ask the cashier what it rang up as... He doesn't know cause he doesn't get the info either, and has to pull out a calculator he has and divides the extended price by the unit count. OK, thanks, that's the price it is suppose to be but I couldn't tell from your screen.

Any casiers her, I'm sorry, for I'm sure that my staring over your shoulder at your screen to see what is being rung up creeps you out, but it's my money I'm spending there, and I believe that as a customer, I deserve to know that I am being charged fairly.

Please pass it on to whoever might FIX THIS PROBLEM. Last week I already sent an email to the customer service address on the company web page, and have yet to hear any response. Today I complained on my way out after spending $170 to the customer service desk and got the impression that it wasn't going to be passed on. I'm not sure if I'll wait till my next trip or not before I start hitting up various consumer media groups. I'll sleep on that one, but if I do, Clark Howard's group will be one of the first who's attention I bring this anti-consumer move to. Please, pass it on. I really do like Menards and really don't care all that much for Lowes (next door to my Menards) or Home Depot (next door to the next closest Menards to me.)

anti-consumer actions

• Ra
    RarelyComplain Oct 08, 2012

It's inner city style math, now the norm, about time you got used to it. To illustrate, just think of the myriad ways you can manually (pencil and paper) work out the problem " 3792 X 4.07 = " Some methods are the most intuitive using established math rules; and others use operations that are not logical but some liberal at Cornell thought was "easier to teach."

They (stores) all do it, and it makes just as much sense as the obnoxious remark you get from the supermarket clerk.."Thank you Mr So-and-so...you "saved" two dollars and sixty three cents"

No I didn't. I SPENT sixty eight dollars and forty five cents, you nitwit.

• Up
    upbaja Oct 10, 2012

Agreed

• Up
    upbaja Oct 10, 2012

It is new software, and I am sure there will be changes in the future. Example, Michigan has a bottle deposit, but they did not have the foresight to figure this out, so to give a customer bottle return money, they have to do a "no receipt" transaction, get one of their bosses to ok it, then try to push you taking that money as a store credit. It is a work in progress, for sure.

• Ra
    RarelyComplain Oct 10, 2012

It has been that way in MIchigan as far back as I can remember. The cost to maintain the area where you turn in the bottles/cans is essentially added to the price of everything you buy in the store, so its in their interest to make you use that money at the store where you returned the stuff. For whatever reason, they like it that way and even though it has been challenged, it will never change.