Massage Envynone

I think it's funny how people on here bash Massage Envy without even listening to themselves about what they are saying.

Point 1) - You're pissed because you are locked in a membership. We'll I'm sorry to tell you that is how Massage Envy runs. The only way that they can make massage affordable is to have a membership program. I would say that you are lucky that you massages roll over month to month because if you had a gym membership and don't use it one month (like most people do) then you are just out that $30 or more dollars.

Point 2) - Putting a credit card on file is has nothing to do with any kind of fraud. It is to ensure that their therapists will get paid for their time if you didn't show up for your appointment. Massage is in the realm of health care and therefore if you need to put a credit card on file at your doctor's office, why shouldn't you for Massage Envy?

Point 3) - As far as crappy massage therapists go, this means you are not asking the right questions when you are booking your appointment and probably are inexperienced with massage. You need to ask questions like, "I want to be with a therapist that has be working over (X amount of years, let's say 5 years) or "I'm having this kind of pain right now, I want really deep (or light) work, which therapist would you recommend?"

I'm sorry, but I have a Massage Envy membership and have been nothing but satisfied. I think everyone on here is just uneducated about the program and you didn't ask enough questions before you signed up. So stop complaining!

• 1d
    #1deanna Sep 18, 2009

I have my first appointment today. Being in the legal field, I understand how contracts work. I will read mine completely before entering into any agreement. However, I understand that if I should decide to enter into the agreement, I must abide by those terms. Because they never told you that you couldn't cancel does not superceed the written words in the contract.
    As for crappy massages, I paid $120 last month for a deep tissue at a highly reputible spa, and got a half hearted back rub, with a lot of face/head massage. Crappy therapists are everywhere, just like crappy doctors and lawyers.
    And yes, you tip at all massages! My $120 massage included my $20 tip.
    If the worst thing people are saying about this place is that you cannot get out of the contract, that goes with any contract! Maybe it is not such a bad place.
    But I'll see in a couple of hours!

• Me
    MEmember Dec 01, 2009

why don't people "Read" before they sign...It's a membership based business..just like health clubs..which employ the same types of contracts and obligations.
    I've had no issue with Massage Envy..and yes occassionally you will get a session that may not meet your requirements for that day..but that happens from time to time everywhere. Complaints are constructive but only when they are legitimate!
    This seems to be just a ### session...And no I'm not a company shill! I'm a satisfied member.

• Lo
    LovinME Jan 09, 2010

You are COMPLETELY right! People who complain are ignorant and don't want to take ACCOUNTABILITY for any type of agreement they enter into. You people are supposed to be ADULTS. Act like it. The Massage Envy I go to is great! They COMPLETELY inform every new member in and out of how the contract works and also how their cancellation policy works. They walk every new member word for word through their agreement and will answer any questions I have. They do not charge my credit card without me knowing about it. If you have a specific massage in mind then open your mouth and let them know what you are looking for so they can put you with a therapist that will suit you.
    I fully agree with the gym reference. I have also visited another day spa with a membership program with a commitment, but guess what???...they DON'T let unused massages roll over.
    I am a fully satisfied costumer and all you people who ### are just ###s. Read what you sign no matter where you go! Every legitimate day spa I have ever visited will ask to hold an appointment with a credit card. If you don't want to give yours then go to one of those cheap massage parlors that will get shut down for having sex with clients. IDIOTS!

• Av
    avoidscamartistmassageenvy Feb 23, 2010

Also want to say to those who post that others here just like to "###", who do not want to take "personal accountability" and do not read the contracts they enter into, etc... - if I am happy with service, I also say it. i don't just arbitrarily "###", however the title of this forum IS "Complaints Board" - or did you not even notice that??? (if you can't read, who's really ignorant?)

Second, if ANY of what I have experienced had been presented to me - verbally or in written form - I NEVER would have signed up. PERIOD. If I had been told that there is NO WAY IN HELL you can get out of contract - whether you lose your job or not - I would NOT have joined. In any other business, if there is a change in your personal situation or employment status, you have the option of paying a penalty. NOT SO WITH THESE CON ARTISTS. According to the one I am dealing with, not even an Act of Congress will allow me to end auto-renewal and membership ( and no, I am not exaggerating - this is EXACTLY what the ME worker told me when I called about my loss of job).

Your insinuation that those who have come here, TO A COMPLAINT FORUM, to discuss their experiences (which is the very nature of this board, BTW) - to say that those of us who come here for the purpose of this page "don't want to take accountability" and are "ignorant" - really shows your own ignorance.

As someone else pointed out, each ME is different. There is one who posted here that he/she is generally satisfied with services at the location he/she signed up with - but has traveled and noticed a great variance in how different locations conduct business. Perhaps you deal with one that is run on the up and up - that informs potential members of everything they NEED to be informed of in order to be able to make an INFORMED decision. If so, how absolutely wonderful for you (sincerely - no sarcasm) because I would not wish this nightmare on anyone!

Ridiculous!!

• Ly
    lynn1976 Mar 25, 2010

well listen to this...When I signed up for a Membership last year the Sales person indicated that if I joined, I could cancel my membership at any time. When I went in to cancel my membership 6 months later due to losing my job I was told I could not cancel. After tearing up my house, I then found my copy of the agreement. It was signed by the sales person and noted that i was able to cancel whenever. I ran my copy over there and the CA was stunned to see that I was telling the truth. I was finally able to cancel my Membership...they have such poor communication skills!!!

• In
    Ins man Apr 08, 2010

I Went for a msg 7/12/09 and was talked into signing up for the $59 msg program. Went 2 times and haven't used it since and have 5 paid msgs sitting there, so its not a money thing its a finding time to go thing. I was told you could cancel w 30 days notice which is what was stressed, not the you cant cancel till after 1 year, as they now say.I have tried to cancel and told them to keep the 5 prepaids as money I would loose and they can have, and they said no way. You cant even give them to another member at that place they say only you can use them, kinda weird since I paid for them, another way to work the system against the client.

Its not a wonder that they have so many complaints about this on the internet and all over. If they really stressed that you are bound to a full 12 months I'm sure that their sales would'nt be very good. This is worse than a bad gym membership, I would never recommend them to anyone unless you are totally committed for a yr. They dodge your calls and never really get a straight answer. I have been totally upfront with them and the owner won't call you at all .Have called my credit card Co. and working on it now, this I'm sure will take a lot of time and aggravation. No wonder they have an F rating on the BBB. Sad that people do business this way in a time where we are all looking for a larger cust base to make our business grow.

• In
    Ins man Apr 08, 2010

Just got a call from my credit card Co. and they said if I cancel my card that charge will still go to the card and I will be responsable for it. I guess more than anything the clause you must stay for a year come hell or high water is the case. How many people do you really think would join knowing this? I told them to keep my 6 unused appts, what do they have to loose? They are ahead of the game, they just hold your feet to the fire. In my case they get a free$350 just cancel my freakin deal, just don't have the time to use it end of story!!!

• Vi
    Victoria P May 24, 2010

Just spoke with the Corporate office about my situation. My husband and I have 23 prepaid massages between us. If we cancel our membership we have one month to use them. This is in the contract, written that all pre-paid massages must be used during active status. The advice I was given was to "freeze" my account until I had more time to use the services, however I would not be eligible to utilize my prepaid massages while my account was "frozen". Just an FYI to all of you who are really TOO busy to use a monthly massage. This is NOT the service for you.

• Iw
    I want what I paid for! Aug 21, 2010

I don't a problem with the contract what I have a problem with is that I've paid for these massages and because I decided to cancel after my year is up I lose the massages I've paid and was told I could use them anytime I decide. That is my complaint!

Anon Aug 21, 2010

Why does anyone go to the hacks at Massage Envy? Massage Envy is a cheap service for a back rub. You're getting what you pay for, people. A true professional massage therapist will work with you regarding your issues, set a plan based on your health not your $$, and not just be concerned with "membership" bonuses. Contact http://www.amtamassage.org and locate a real therapist in your area.

Karol1218 Oct 15, 2010

My problem is I was lied to right from the get go! I would not encourage anyone to go there. They overcharged my credit card several times and I had a very hard time getting them to reverse these charges. They were rude to me as if I went in and used their computers to over charge myself! Just not a good experience at all! I lost a total of $635 on unused massages but I guess a hard lesson learned. Should have read the complaint board before signing the contract. And for you Ms lawyer, I kept my end of the bargain they should have been more professional and treated me with respect as a consumer! From what I am reading I am not an isolated case!

Karol1218 Oct 18, 2010

BTW if you think Massage Envy is so great WHY are you on a complaint board? You must be one of the great rude employees defending this establishment! Get with it lady they are a rip off and lie to the clientele!

• 1s
    #1SEXYLICIOUS Oct 23, 2010

to the Me Customer your a plain rude UNEDUCATED B**CH...if kevin wants to express how he feels about massage envy this is the place to do it...so YOU should be the one to STOP and think before you speak. HELLO!!! this is a ratings website... so with that NOTE: MESSAGE ENVY SUCKS BIG C**K

• 1s
    #1SEXYLICIOUS Oct 23, 2010

Go karol 1218!! thats exactly my point too!

Legal. Beagle Jan 31, 2011

The contract is called a contract of adhesion. It is an unethical and unfair contract in contract law it is easily overturned and not enforceable becuase it greatly favors one party of the next. It was my experience that the disgruntled employees were suffereing from mistreatement and fear of losing their pitiful job causes them to lie. I was lied to and mislead on several occasions. Yes ultimately it is our responsibility to not sigh things without reading the fine print...but its sad that we have to be so guarded against organizations liek this out there to scam you of your money with bait and swtich pricing and lame contracts. Their verbal agreements which we take at face value because we are trusting people are total BS. They use all sorts of unscrupulous tactics to keep billing you such as not allowing you to cancel or in my cse they "lost" the cancellation form i submetted and kept charging me, it gets worse...

Legal. Beagle Jan 31, 2011

Yeah there are also people out there that think the Nazis are cool, that Al Queda is justified, that CIA is behind 911...and there is this guy defending an obviously corrupt and unethical business model being franchised across the country making million$ using misconception, misleading people, abusing their emplyees/contract laborers, bait and switching, the list goes on and on. Look at their F rating at BBB. The vast majority of news and info on the net about them is negative but this idiot is defending them on a website meant for complaining!? LOL what a [censored] bag!

Legal. Beagle Jan 31, 2011

And the massages are second rate at best! Not because i didnt tell her where it hurt, lol, but because she hates her job and [censor] boss/owner and just got out of massage school!

Legal. Beagle Jan 31, 2011

CONTRACTS CAN BE BROKEN. JUST BECAUSE YOU SIGNED ONE DOESNT MEAN IT IS ENFORCEABLE, LEGAL, LEGITIMATE, ETHICAL OR WOULD HOLD UP IN COURT. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO FILE A SMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT, YOU WILL WIN! LOOK UP "CONTRACT OF ADHESION" THE JUDGE ALMOST ALWAYS FAVORS THE PLAINTIF NOT THE UNETHICAL STRONG ARM TACTICS OF THE BUSINESS.

MassageMan Jun 14, 2011

I agree with the original poster. I am a therapist for ME, and although there are things I am not happy about as an employee it seems customers on here complain about every little thing. It is discount massage, it is a membership program like a gym and it is in the healthcare field. People just don't see it that way and see massage as just a luxury and not a necessity to your health. MT's are licensed with the department of health just like a nurse, doctors etc...I agree that the ones complaining are just not educated about the field and don't ask questions. When you sign a contract for something, READ IT! Don't complain when you want to cancel it because you just don't want it anymore and than flip out when you can't. When you buy a car you sign a contract stating you will pay your monthly fees, if you stop paying for your car guess what??? It gets repoed!!! If you don't want to sign a contract to get the extremely discounted rates for massage than don't and when you want a massage, go in a pay the more expensive rates.

• Ov
    Overthat Jul 15, 2011

Massage Envy is a franchise. In my complaints it is the front desk and whoever manages them or who can't communicate. I was told that there were cameras all over the premises. That includes when you undress and the lighting is brighter than most Day Spas. I have been harrassed on the phone. I have called Massage Envy Corp. office many times and never spoke to a soul. I have truly been HIGHLY dissappointed with Massage Envy and Facelogic ( same company ). It is the mangement and that you know it rolls down from somewhere. Most therapists ( not all ) were great but WOW on the other staff. Never have I heard from the Corporate Office, never. You do get what you pay for. Their prices just went up so stick with a nice day Spa or find a Yoga center. Massage is a healing art and should be felt my both parties as such. I have experienced more stress and immaturity from the front desk than I had to begin with. Oh yes, they have kept so many people's money. Really Tacky. Not sure cameras are legal either. They totally ripped my mom off and we lost our Mother's Day treat because of the Birmingham location. Really, really tacky.

Comments

karenmarieb Aug 06, 2011

GOOGLE MASSAGE ENVY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW. INITIATOR OF THE CLASS ACTION SUIT IS A MEMBER OF THIS SITE. CONTACT EACH OTHER AND LETS GET OUR MONEY BACK.