LATAM Airlines / LAN Airlines — duplicate fees
On a recent trip from Santiago, thru Lima and continuing on to Los Angeles all passengers were required to disembark and proceed through a security screening check and then re-board the same plane to continue on to Los Angeles.
I was legally transporting a firearm declared and stored in the hold of the aircraft. LATAM was aware of the paper work, item and destination when I checked in for my flight to Los Angeles.
During the security check of the plane the local officials became aware of the item being transported and requested to check it for proper documentation. This process lasted long enough to cause me to miss re-boarding the plane for Los Angeles. It was finally determined that all proper notifications and paper work were in order.
LATAM told me that not only would they not protect me for the next available flight but that there were no LATAM flights available for 36 hours.
I then took upon myself to find a solution to my flight situation. Within 20 minutes I purchased a business class ticket back to Los Angeles on the very next LATAM flight.
My complaints are as follows:
1 LATAM sold me a ticket that included a leg from Lima to Los Angeles. I was forced to purchase another one way ticket Lima to Los Angeles for more than my entire original trip.
2 I was told there were no available flights on LATAM for 36 hours and in fact the very next flight was available.
3 I filed complaints with LATAM and they began the process and then deleted my complaints with out explanation.
4 LATAM did not properly inform the local authorities of the item being transported even though I had reported it to them.
5 LATAM has the ability of waive their own restrictions if they choose. They chose not to waive or assist a long time client. I have made more than 10 trips in 15 years to south american destinations.
More LATAM Airlines / LAN Airlines Complaints & Reviews
- LMS Panamá S.A. (Operates LAN airlines Chile in-flight duty free service) - emails ignored regarding faulty product 
- TAM Airlines - star alliance fidelity program
- Latam Airlines (formerly LAN Airlines) - lost luggage, compensation & full complaint report
- Latam Airlines (formerly LAN Airlines) - cancellation of all tickets post no show
- TAM Airlines - terrible customer service 
- Latam Airlines JJ8186 - senior lady with limited mobility left alone after arrival latam orlando, fl
- LATAM Airlines / LAN Airlines - refund of travel voucher
- LATAM Airlines / LAN Airlines - delayed flight 
- Lan Airlines - poor service
- LATAM Airlines / LAN Airlines - change of schedule