LA Fitnessconfessions of a former la fitness employee

J Review updated:

Former LA Fitness Employee:

After reading the numerous complaints on this board I feel the need to coroborate many of the issues facing LA Fitness. I want to first ofer my "inside" details of how LA Fitness operates its business. Let's begin with mangement or the lack of.

LA Fitness does not offer any formal training nor does it provide continuing education in the crucial area of managing personnel. LA Fitness also uses a very narrow metric for promotion within its manager ranks. This simple metric used is “sales” if you’re a great salesman you get promoted. That is it! Also, LA Fitness draws heavily from an employment pool lacking in maturity. Many of their "GM's" are simply children doing the work an adult should be doing. But paying adults appropriately would cut into Mr Welch building his new mutli million dollar house in Malibu California. Yep, its the truth folks. Same Wall Street menatality at LA Fitness.

As a customer, please don't put your health or your money in the hands of people who do not care about you after you've provided them a credit/debit card or check. Not to mention many of the people selling memebrships or personal training are not properly trained or educated to give anyone advice related to health and fitness. Also, these "agreements" that management likes to call are "contracts" don't be duped into their snake oil salesman type selling. Once you've swiped your card you're pretty much history regarding any value added customer service.

Another issue facing LA Fitness is their high turnover. I'm sure many of you have seen this at the clubs you frequent. How many times have you had a differnet trainer over the course of several months? If you're the average LA Fitness customer odds are you are likely to have 3-5 trainers during the course of your "contract." Why is this? Simply put, LA Fitness doesn't give two red cents about its employees. That coupled with there "creative" ways they have employees "punch in" for compensation has always been a source of confussion for its employees. Just ask an employee to explain it you. They're always looking for a way to screw their employees to save a few cents while their poor cusotmer service issue is left like a festering sore. Another tid bit worth mentioning, LA Fitness management would prefer the trainer not to call his/her clients if they are out sick. Why?????? Because some district manager gets a nice cut from the number of people who have walked through the door. Disgusting, isn't it?!?! So, they would rather a scheduled client come through the door angry than to have been notified by the trainer.

All things considered, I could not, would not recommend LA Fitness as a place for employment. Nor could I recommend it as a service to purchase. And all the previous complaints I've read are true. The stories I have heard and witneesed are dispicable on all levels of business. And to Mr Welch of LA Fitness, I hope the home you're building is close to a cliff! You F N SOB!!!

Chooglin68 Apr 15, 2021

Since there are so many former LA Fitness Personal trainers here, perhaps someone knows the answer to this question. Can I be excluded from the Personal Training Area? I saw they had some TRX equipment in that area and I went over to use it. A trainer was in the area with a client but I was not interfering with their training. He told me I had to leave. On the website it says that TRX equipment is located in the Functional Training Area which is available to all members.

• La
    ladyC2 Mar 10, 2018

I like the LA FITNESS GYM. I joined last year 2017 and joined the facility in Waldorf, Md. The gym itself is nice, and I like the classes such as spin cycle, Zumba and power circuit and Aqua Fit. I also like the fact that it is month to month and I am not locked into a long contract. However, if you JOIN LA Fitness do not sign up for a fitness assessment. That is just a ploy by the sales department to get you to sign up for personal training and that locks you into a contract. That is how they got me. I signed up because I wanted to go to the next level in my fitness and wanted to make sure that when I lift weights I am doing the correct form and plus I thought getting a trainer would help me lower my body fat consumption faster and tone up and help me reach my goals faster. However, this past 10 months, of personal training has been a total waste of my damn time and $. I signed up for 12 months worth of sessions because it was cheaper. however, you are locked into a year and if you are not satisfied and cancel you have to pay out the difference of what you owe which I am not trying to do. The trainer they set me up with was slack, lazy and all he has done is put me on cardio equipment and I told him several times that I do not want to waste 25 minutes of my season doing cardio because I do Zumba, Aqua Fit and other cardio several days a week and during my sessions on want to focus more on strength training and weight lifting but he continued to put me on cardio equipment so I fired him and asked the sales manager for another trainer. I hope this trainer will be better. I only have sessions left until May so I am going to ride them out but once my sessions run out and my contract is up I will never use a trainer there again. The trainers are a bunch of inexperience trainers who just got certified and have never worked at any other gym before. Some are even trainee's and don't have a cert and from what I understand any [censor] can pass the certification test and not be a trainer. They have Master Trainers who are considered expert but they cost a fortune depending on how often you meet with them and they are hard to get. LA Fitness itself is nice and they have a nice sauna, whirlpool and offer Aqua fit classes but the personal training sucks and is a waste of time and I could have gotten better results training on my own. I recently started training with trainers at the company building I work at. the training is free as a company perk and I have to say that LA Fitness trainers have nothing on the trainers at the building I work at. They are much more attentive, they are organize and really work with you on your form. and they are free. If I had known this I would have never wasted my damn $ on these piss poor trainers at LA Fitness. La FITNESS management, if you are on this forum you really need to make sure the trainers you hire are experience and not just have a certification. Also, you need to school them on being professional. the guy I had was so unprofessional that half the time he was testing on his cell phone while I was working out and not watching my form at all and sticking me on cardio machines so he can play with his phone. What a waste of time.

• Fo
    Former LA Fitness Employee Jan 26, 2017

As a former employee of L.A. Fitness at two different facilities in Maryland, I can honestly convey the failed leadership of this company. Both L.A. Fitness gyms were operated under very poor management and unacceptable conditions. Further, the unsanitary conditions in the restrooms, group fitness rooms and main floor were embarrassing. Communication from the group fitness director was very inconsistent and poor. Certain instructors were creating a juvenile hostile environment behind the scenes, joking about it, and creating controversy where none existed. Whereas other instructors maintained professionalism at all times. As such, a few of our best group fitness instructors resigned due to the ongoing egregious issues surrounding. I personally witnessed many members complain about the lack of cleanliness in the restrooms with the GM, only to be ignored and not addressed by the GM at that time. Equipment in group fitness classes used and damaged by other employees who did not have authorization to use the equipment, yet the damage was blamed on instructors who weren't even present in the gym that day. Moreover, when a few of us offered to address these ongoing issues with corporate, we were shunned and disregarded. We even offered to organized a meeting with a power point presentation to highlight why both gyms consistently received a 1 star rating out of 5. But again, corporate disregarded our offer to fly out and meet with these so called suits. L.A. Fitness leaves behind a strong evidence-based record of failed leadership and demonstrates their focus on membership numbers only regardless of countless complaints by members and employees. Myself and a few others who resigned from this company are surprised there aren't more lawsuits pending against L.A. Fitness. Shame on this corporation for bad faith conduct and not honoring their own rules and procedures.

• Ti
    Tiktik Jan 18, 2017

Absolutely true, in La Fitness there are so many rude unprofessional Activities directors for Gr.exrcise department with leader in CA Lean Kleine, non stop hiring extremely rude unprofessional Regional Directors one by one-East Coast Lean Kleine, who creates stories, gossips etc, no one responsible to fire her from her position, she does what she wants, chaos absolute chaos.Particularly Virginia branches, instead of hard work and appreciation and gratitude for subbing classes they woul rudely screem call, bother, very, very rude or create untruthful stories .Sad very sad to see this type of operation still in business!Hopefully with new Law and rules, there will be fired many and many of employees of these VA gyms.

• Fo
    Former LA Fitness Employee Jan 26, 2017

@Tiktik I would have to agree with your comment.

Stretch007 Dec 26, 2016

LA Fitness has the rudest most arrogant managers ever. I had never worked in the Corporate environment before, 20 years in the fire service. I became a spin instructor and enjoyed being able to help the members that were so often let down by instructors either not showing up, fired or just sick of LA fitness bull####. They pay $12 for a spin class??? Then they wonder why nobody stays, Actually I correct myself, they don't wonder because they don't care. I wish for 2017 they finally go out of business!!!

Stretch007 Dec 26, 2016

You are writing in fear of losing your job. Just google LA Fitness in the realm of gyms. My wife is a fitness and wellness director in the private sector country club environment. She states that LA has the worst reputation in the industry. They've had so many lawsuits it's not even funny. You should be the first one drug tested as it's very clear you used the crack pipe before putting fingers to the keyboard.

• Tt
    TTT Aug 29, 2016

While attending L.A. Fitness in Burnsville, MN, I was sucked into the personal training by being tricked into signing a contract that I wasn't offered to read. It was a high pressure gimmick, but I accepted my bad luck and tried to make the best of it. I then began receiving awful training sessions, but was told that there was nothing that could be done for me. I was 'given' the option of freezing my account (of where I was still charged a fee) but poor quality staff did not document such freezing and money was continuously taken out of my account. When confronted, they would not even refund the money that was taken from me and would not help me with my complaint. AVOID THIS COMPANY and you will not lose your money or become taken advantage of! The well being of the customer is not of concern, but only money and upholding pointless contracts!

• Sp
    Sparkyz Aug 29, 2016

The credit card that was on file for my membership had expired. When contacted concerning the expiration, I informed the man on the phone that I also wanted to cancel my membership. He said, "no problem, lets get this card number to cover the last months dues and then I will go ahead and cancel. I received an e-mail stating that my membership was up to date, so I contacted him and he said, "don't worry about that, it is all taken care of for you." Needless to say he lied and I kept getting charged. I contacted my local gym and the girl told me she would take care of it and put in a request to return the charges. Of course that wasn't true either. No matter what anybody tells you, make sure any mailing are certified and you get names and documentation for everything. I will never recommend LA Fitness to anybody, based solely on their business practices.

• Ye
    Yeolla Aug 29, 2016

This place is like Hotel California.

"You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave"...I cancelled my membership in 2006 at least I thought so until they told me thay had been garnishing my wifes bank account for years without us know it. Now conveniently there's no proof that they got any cancellation and we are out the money...Dont worry LA Fitness you'll get whats coming to you...if this business is still open by the end of the year, then I'll have no faith left in humanity...I vow to fight LA Fitness until I die.

• Al
    ALPA Aug 29, 2016

Take care! LA fitness offer cash back after 3 months of regular acceptance for you get in there. It is not true; they do not give that and happened with other friends as well. Direct Debit account: do not allow that! Even when you are no longer part of the gym, they keep debiting your account and think it was just by chance, but they are not willing to refund you soon. So, you get a big, very big headache.

Honestly, I do not recommend this company; they do not follow what they offered to get you involved.

• Sm
    Smith Aug 29, 2016

I have had my money taken since I signed for a membership

I have called corporate and they would not refund my money

An employee wrongfully used my billing information for

someone else and the fitness center wants me to file

criminal charges against that individual when this person

did not give them my information, I did. Then they said

that employee was no longer withtheir company, and the

contract they showed me did not have my signiture.

I am getting a lawer but you woyuld thing they would

really look in to this.thank you. look in to this!

• Co
    Concern06 Aug 29, 2016

Manager would call one of her staff useless, I would hear her call her this many times. Why would a manager regard her staff members in such a way. The poor girl you could see she wanted to cry, but what could she do. Then one day I saw them in a argument, the manager had gone through the same girls phone and had read her text messages. What kind of person does this. As of a week ago I haven't seen that poor girl. She was always so helpful and pleasant. Where do they get these mangers is there no training. Why do we paid for a service. And see behavior like this in a public place.

Meeshy Aug 29, 2016

I've been an unhappy member of the LA Fitness in Huntingdon Valley, PA since it opened in 2002. The classes are the SAME exact ones all this time!!! There's no new stuff, nothing fresh. No access to equipment in aerobic room unless you are using it during one of their boring classes. The place is filthy...run out of paper towels and hand sanitizer on a regular basis. Equipment is broken forever and not well maintained. Machines get "stuck" while using them or have rusty parts. I only stay a member because of the convienent location. Currently the rug on one of the stairs is ripped and secured with TAPE! Accident waiting to happen.

• Sp
    spdrcrgtr Aug 29, 2016

I started with LA Fitness as a regular gym member. About early August 2010, I decided to sign up with a personal trainer. Their strong-arm type sales tactics coerced me into getting a 12 month term with 3 appointments per week even though I clearly stated that I was not a very athletic person and such a commitment was likely to be too much. They "assured" me that we were flexible with training, contracts, etc.

At the start of the second month, they have been completely unresponsive in scheduling training, trainer being late, and charging me for sessions that I had canceled.

I had to change my entire work schedule to simply go to the gym. I went a few days later to the gym and spoke with the manager. I politely explained the situation and asked how I could go about canceling my contract. I was told there was none and I was on the hook for the entire amount; about $3k. At that point, I was upset and let her know that I would be filing a complaint. Her reaction was jaw dropping after she stated, "I don't care what you do, it’s not my problem."

Wait, it gets worse. I have been still struggling to go to these unavailable sessions at which point my credit card could not be billed. I told them that I would pay for the invoice due once I arrived next time at the gym. Since then, they have literally been hounding me every day to pay the bill. Not only that, they are threatening at various levels to report me to collections and other systems.

I just want to be done with them.

• Te
    Texas Bugati Aug 29, 2016

My father was tricked into signing a one year contract with LA Fitness. He is quite old and has a serious heart condition. The personal trainer at LA Fitness charged his credit card for unwanted services, such as personal training sessions which he cannot handle because he is diabetic and has a weak heart. We tried to cancel his membership by complaining to the manager and all he said was that this situation is like buying a car and even if you do not use the car you will still be charged for it. His explanation was totally absurd. The manager did not apologize for his employee's deception. My father did not want these services in the first place. Right now we are pursuing legal action to get our money back.

Joe Blo Mar 14, 2016

Badgered by salesman as I am trying to work out. I refuse to answer his sales pitch and ignore him.
    He says OK be that way and proceeded to challenge me to a fight.
    Yells out OK keep walking...like some punk would do in High School.
    Bizarro behavior from LA fitness employees.
    Spoke with girl at front and will be in contact with manager as well as corporate.
    Will terminate membership and drop card account is billed from.

• Vi
    Virgo7 Dec 11, 2015

"How could she come up to that decision without trying to coach me more, so I can do a better job"

• Vi
    Virgo7 Dec 11, 2015

I agree with you 100% I am also an employee with LA fitness and the OM fired me last Tuesday because she said I messed up thier job because I didn't transfer the call to a sales person. I worked at the front desk and I did everything except the transfer only because on the link the sales person is unavailable. The OM didn't give me a verbal warning she just fired me that day for poor performance, I always come on time, greet members in a polite friendly manner while making calls or answering calls, and even though I worked part time I never failed to give her commission for making clear ups. How could she come to that decision without trying to coach me more do I nod a better job. I feel discriminated.

• Na
    Nancy Sum Lee Dec 11, 2015

The Aventura, Florida branch of LA Fitness s---s. The management of LA Fitness s----s. The Trainers at LA Fitness s---k. If you want a truly bad experience, join the LA Fitness in Aventura. I speak from experience. They call you a liar, when you make a report and they side with the trainers. LA Fitness Aventura gives you goofball explanations. A woman sitting across the two lanes of the track: Low blood sugar. Of course, the trainer was just sitting watching her. Saying, "I am training her" instead of administering help at the Aventura LA Fitness. They care about new members for a week or two and then you are just the rabble to be run over with discourteous behavior and stupid excuses. The Training Supervisor said he never saw me before I must be new. I said I was a member since 2002. He said "No your not" I never saw you before and I have been here for 14 years. Funny, I only saw him for the past 2 years. They are nasty over there. All I wanted was for them to keep the track free from debris, weights, and of course people going the wrong way with their trainers. Instead of getting support I got resistance.

Joyce Bucci Dec 11, 2015

Its unfortunate that your not taking responsibility for the fact that you have a poor attitude. If you really worked at LAFITNESS and understood that our mission statement is "To take Every single LAFITNESS member from where they are now in terms of Fitness and Functional mobility to where they want to be in the Safest Fasted most enjoyable way possible" Then you would know that we want Everyone to be serviced and helped.
    That does require EFFORT and WORK, some enroll in training some don't, that is ok because we will help Every member get a great start on their
    Health and wellness goals to get the RESUlTS that they want.
    You are MISINFORMED on ALL of this, we DON'T do fingerprints, unless of course your talking about your prior experience in jail, that's NOT US!
    All of our Trainers ARE NATIONALLY CERTIFIED, or not hired.
    I suspect your a lier...
    SELAH...

• Tr
    TrainerMary Nov 08, 2015

I am a current employee and the club I work with is the worst! I started in NJ and now work in NYC. I have lost 3 PTD's two have quit and one was fired. My current PTD is a woman I've had major issues with since she started working at the club 11 months ago as a PT Counselor. I have been threatened, harassed not just by this woman but, members of the club she is friendly with. My General Manager and Operations Manger does nothing, my VP hasn't done anything and for the 1st time since I've been working with LA I receive a write up full of lies that date back to March when she was counselor. I am a group trainer and one of the few trainers left who started when the club opened up. I have clients who will gladly leave with me if I go. I have never been disrespected in all my life and I served in the army. They don't go over the contract clearly, they lie about sessions, they don't tell you when your contract is up, most if not all PT counselors don't know a thing about fitness and to cancel forget about it.

• Jt
    Jtbsteelers7 Oct 08, 2015

I worked at LA FITNESS for a few months. All of these complaints are very true. I worked as a salesman and the only training I received was do anything to get the sale. I was also told by the assistant gm that once they are members they are not money anymore. The assistant gm continuously stole commission from me while the gmail and district did nothing but make excuses for her. They had 5 different operations managers in the few months I was there. They treat the cleaning crew like crap and won't even schedule a cleaning person on weekend nights while everyone else has to do the cleaning. I was promised so many things and it was all lies. I do not respect or care for them. I had numerous people who i sold memberships with tell me they would take out more money than they was supposed to.

• Mi
    Mike Alderman Aug 24, 2015

I completely agree with the original post. I left the company about a week ago and i am still waiting to get paid. The gm of my store asked for my numbers for my bank account to set up direct deposit and after a whole ordeal, i didnt get paid until a few weeks ago. On top of that, they started blaming me for entering it in wrong when my gm did it. Now Im still waiting and Im about to flip if i dont get paid this week.

Stacey8282 May 28, 2015

I totally agree. I started working for LAF and after a week I am done. I was never told what the pay week was and I still have not received a check. Very poor management.

• Le
    lezbehonest May 09, 2015

Started working for LA Fitness December of last year as personal training sales. Having military experience and a degree in Exercise Science and Physiology, having an entry level job in the fitness industry was the icing on the cake. Having not had too much history in sales, I had to learn the basics, and it became easy just being open and honest with people about resistance training and healthy lifestyle changes are for the better. I was promoted to APTD and soon after Personal Training Director within 6 months of working for the company. Every single member I sign up for training gets a call from me monthly of I don't see them in the club, asking how everything is going. I treat each of my trainers with respect as well as my training sales counsellors. My son has autism and the company provides me with benefits to help him with therapies for his development. Ethical sales is the name of the game with this company, and people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. Did you get a job at LA Fitness to make money or help people make a change? At the end of the day, whatever your new job will be, are you making a difference or making anyone's life better? Think on it...

• Be
    BEATENBYLAFitness EMployee Feb 23, 2015

I was physically attacked by one of their employees here in Philadelphia. I complained about this employee 3X and nothing happened. She was very aggressive, violent and threatening. They knew this employee was out of control because one of the managers told me some othe rmembers of management are afraid of her. Its crazy how they just did nothing and she then physically attacked me while I was on a spin bike. If you like, please join my FB group. Its called, "Is your Gym Safe" I think we should all work together to expose this kind of behavior or lack there of... by the businesses we patronie who are supposed to protect us.

Media Giant Jan 06, 2015

LA Fitness has become or has always been under managed by less salary and experienced personnel . Today my wife has joined the ever growing complaint to L.A Fitness .employee sexual harassment and stalking complaint . YES, She was literally told by an employee that shes going to allow him to have a sexual encounter with him by march and that's his goal. She immediately called me and I appeared and attempted to make complaint to management to find out he's in on the stalking and sexual advances.
    Well, Just so happened I'm in media and called a few of my news investigative buddies to look into this problem L.A Fitness chooses to ignore female or anyone's complaint. Stay tuned in for "Breaking News "

Comments

Media Giant Jan 06, 2015

ALSO, ADD Continued employee sexual advances and harassment from employees that go undisciplined by corporate or corporate fails to acknowledge. The Atlanta area L A Fitness Facility's has its share of sexual advances by employees as did my wife encounter today at the Norcross Ga. location. In this case I'm in media and know exactly what to do. I notified several of my investigative news buddies. Stay Tuned In for Breaking News to Come

• Be
    Becsworld Oct 03, 2014

I agree with everyone! I just quit a month ago because my boss was such an ###. I left him high and dry and he deserved it. So he banned me after he was having a bad day a couple days ago. I know my complaints won't do anything but I thought that you can't have many complaints on the BBB, I am going to research that and if that's the case I'm going to (and already have been) advising people to go to the site to file a complaint. LA Fitness absolutely does not care about their employees or their members. You would think that taking complaints to corporate would help but 9 times out of 10 they do not. Horrible company to work for!!

• Fu
    fu!lafitness Mar 25, 2014

la fitness sucks! That's all! never work for them

• Ha
    happierabroad Mar 01, 2014

angrytiger : I guess the other couple million members, former members, employees and former employees (including former managers, gms, district gms, VP, etc) are also full of ### huh?! get real. this wouldnt be a topic if it werent true. if your head werent so far up your ###, you would see it also. you're obviously not observant. laf has been going down hill since 2002. they've been sued multiple times. dont you remember the potential class action law suit against laf when they went back on their word when they said they would honor former bally total fitness members contract? thousands upon thousands of complaints on the internet and pick out one person and call him a liar! in that case, youre going to have to call the other millions of people liars too. from the tone and context of your post, I would say you're a 13 year old trapped in a 40 year old body. good lord woman, read a book (book of value and not some brain washing magazine). youre in no way to give even the most simple minded person any lectures. get out of the tan booth before you fry the rest of your brain cells.

• Cy
    CYBORN64 Dec 14, 2013

i am a lead janitor at la fitness and im not gonna lie it is the worst job i ever had. they only pay me twice a month. and only 9 bucks an hour. i complain to my GM all the time and she does nothing about it. she says ill get promoted to official lead janitor but i dont see it happening anytime soon. im moving on to find a better job. SCREW LA FITNESS!!!

• Ne
    Neets Nov 26, 2013

If I want to send a complaint to the corporate office in LA, do you know who to send it to??

masterjobs.net Jun 01, 2013

Read more employee reviews about working at LA fitness here http://masterjobs.net/la-fitness

madsahell May 27, 2013

Why does L.A Fitness allow the General Manager to talk horrible to employees? Why hasn't anyone noticed that L.A. Fitness on Dixie H.W.Y in Lou. Ky. Is full of thieves? They over charge on membership to the customer and pocket the cash. So glad I never got a membership there. Really glad I was never an employee. If u do decide to get a membership there make sure a girl name Kayle isn't handeling the cash.

madsahell May 27, 2013

My daughter is an employee at L.A Fitness in Lou. Ky. She only works there because she is also a college student and has a hard time finding employment that works with her school schedule. That being said, she works on some of her days off, has worked in the day care has filed in and covered others that call in regularly and has worked most holidays. She is bullied on a regular basis by a young lady name Kayla. I've heard this named mentioned by several others that work out at that gym and none of the info. I have received is good. Why does LA Fitness continue to keep people like this on payroll and allow people like this to threaten employees with being fired when they have to call in 1 time for an emergency? Clearly, L.A Fitness does not care about the wellbeing of it's employees.

• Fi
    fireman25 Apr 01, 2013

Gym is dirty /Equipment needs to be replaced ( same equipment from the day they open ) people that work on the weekend do nothing no paper towels crap all over the floor they could care less

• Jl
    JL Haggans Dec 17, 2012

If you support LA Fitness Pro Results/Body of Change (they change the name whenever they're being sued) then you are supporting MODERN DAY SLAVERY!!! The trainers get "paid" $6.00 per session ($4.50 after taxes). They're not promised an 8 hour day or a 32 hour week, so they can be at LA Fitness for 10 hours, if they train 2 clients that day, they "earn" $12.00 that day. The trainers get no sick days, no holiday pay, no vacation pay, no personal days, no medical benefits...not even a lunch room! The "managers" get commissions for selling you a session that's suppose to be for 60 mins, but the client only trains for 30 mins with the trainer. When the "managers" tell you they're talking to the "Corporate Boss" to get a "Special rate" for you, they're talking to a fellow associate in another section of the same gym, promise you free sessions (which they take from other clients who lapse using thier sessions, probably because they're disgusted with the lack of professionalism, but can't get out the contract unless they pay a 50% cancellation fee!), & when you finally figure out what's going on & call whoever to complain, GOOD LUCK! Be prepared to get lawyers involved if you want your money back, because that's what it's going to take. Congradulate the ppl of Wynnewood, Pennsylvania who banded together as a community & voted NOT to allow the LA Fitness Signature Club (coporate slave ship) into their community. Support your community fitness facilities staffed by members of YOUR COMMUNITY who actually care about you! Not LA Fitness corporation employees getting paid slave wages while being ordered to smile at you & rob you at the same time.

• Ki
    Kids Klub Employee Nov 16, 2012

I totally agree with this post! I am a current employee of the Kids Klub and have been for the past 1.5 years. The turnover rate here is ridiculous and management relies on staff members to keep everyone informed of things. I'm currently on my 4th Operations Manager since getting hired as the people that LA Fitness hires are either WAY too young for the position or inexperienced. My last OM was quite a bit younger than me (I'm in my late 30s and work in the Kids Klub in the AM while my kids are at school), and she felt that she could just boss me around. I was even told "there's other employment opportunities for you if you don't like how things are run here" by her. My co-workers, too, are young (either teens or early 20s) with NO kids or no experience with kids. They complain every time a child whines or cries and frequently comment on how kids react to things as "annoying". They, too, basically watch TV and get paid for it with very little interaction with the children. If there actually was a dire emergency (split lip, bad fall, etc.) I don't think my co-workers would know what to do or even what kid belonged to what parent to find them in a very quick and efficient manner as there's times where I come in and a child is in need of their parent (had an accident, their two hour time limit is up, etc.) and no one seems to know what kid belongs to what parent.

Employee coverage also... I have to practically be DEAD to find anyone to work for me as if you're not in the same click (my co-workers are all friends and got each other hired) you're an outcast. I tell them how things should be done as I'm a parent of two. I have to bring in doctor's notes to get coverage as our current temporary Operations Manager is young with an occassional attitude also and WILL NOT help you find coverage. It's our job if you need someone to work for you and I always get an automatic "NO!", so I go to my doctor and force management to give me off and actually due their job to juggle the schedule around.

Kids Klub Sanitation... Yeah, right. I don't think the toilets have been scrubbed in at least a year as Club Pride (janitorial staff) rarely gets in the KK other than to change the trash. Nothing is cleaned or sanitized, to include toys, unless I do it myself as the other staff members feel it's "not their job". Every job you have to clean a little. I don't care if it's the gym, McDonalds, or wherever. Maybe my co-workers will care when there's finally a lawsuit due to lack of cleanliness or lack of response time when I child does get hurt as we are not CPR certified (unless you also work front desk).

I do this for minimum wage since I enjoy working with children. Many of the regulars know me by name and actually look for me on the days that I do work. It, too, gives me something to do when my kids are at school. Would I recommend this to anyone else my age? Heck no! They don't care about you at all. I barely even get a hello some days and I've yet to actually have our new General Manager greet me even though I've waved to him through the window sometimes. If you're not involved with making the company money such as a manager or a sales person, you're mincemeat to this company.

Thanks for reading my rant.

• Si
    Sixela10 May 10, 2012

I totally agree with this!! 100% I just wish I would have read it before I applied to LA Fitness. I went in to get a job and walked out with a job (: I was pretty proud of myself. For what is worth, I thought that LA Fitness was fairly clean and they have a pool! Which was a total plus for me. NOW I COULD CARE LESS! I worked for LA Fitness for 3 weeks...maybe 3 1/2. Anyways, from day 1 the managers did nothing for me. Like most of the comments above, there was no training involved (I worked with operations), the managers couldn't give two ### about what happened in the gym, and there was no communication whatsoever. I have NEVER had problems with employment, yes I have screwed up a couple of times, but nothing to terminate me! After working for a couple weeks I noticed that I wasn't on the schedule for the following week. So I politely texted my manager and asked him what was going on...no response. So I called into the gym and talked to my GM and she said (and I quote), "There aren't enough hours for operations right now, I will call you back IF I put you back on the schedule" Why thank you for making that so clear!!! If the fact was true that they didn't have enough hours I would suck it up and move on, BUT the fact is that it wasn't true. The day before I called they hired a new employee (he actually answered the phone when I called), so basically I was lied to, laid off, and slapped in the face.
    I absolutely hated working there. Employees owed me money for EFT's that they stole from me, told me that they would pay me back, BUT COMPLETELY DIDN'T.
    Alright I could seriously go on a huge rampage, but I'm going to refrain myself because the bottom line is that I will never be going back to an LA Fitness to work or workout in and you shouldn't either. These comments aren't for the good of us to get things off of our chest, but to warn future customers or employees of the hell that you will go through. And yes like someone mentioned before, not every LA Fitness is necessarily bad, but it sure sounds like they're a lot that are.
    I'm just thankful for learning and getting out. Oh and I have an awesome job now. (: All better.