Having problems with Kirby?

1800 781 556 (Australia)
800 5472 9272 (European Countries)
8800 500 5146 (Russia)
+1 800 494 8586 (USA and Canada)
+7 495 374 7282 (Russia & CIS)
+27 800 203 222 (South Korea)
+44 800 328 1247 (United Kingdom)
1920 West 114th Street
Sat9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Sales Women

I got a knock on my door. When I looked in the peep-hole I saw two ladies. One skinny one with black hair and another heavier set one with a reddish-blonde hair color. I opened the door and saw one was holding a 2 Liter of coca-cola. They said they were going around giving out free soda to all the "cool" people at my apartment complex and asked if I was cool. I thought this is so cheesy, but said yes and they gave me the coke (which was missing part of its rapper and looked like a dog chewed on part of the lid). I asked if they were neighbors of mine (kind of like a greeting thing) but they said no. They claimed they were promoting their store that was about to open around the Walmart shopping center in St. Marys, Ga. I asked what the store name was and they said "Syatt". I asked what they were selling and they said they would show me. One lady left, and I figured she was just going to bring back a catalog to show me. While waiting on the other lady, the one at the door asked if she could come inside and wait since it was kind of chilly outside. I really didn't want her to come inside, but she almost made me feel bad and my mom raised me to be polite, so I said um..I guess. The other lady returned with a small box and ended up coming into my home, and then went back to get a bigger box. they made small talk with me. Asking if I lived alone and what I did for hobbies and work. Then one called her boss and said to enter me into some contest or something. I didnt feel at ease with them in my home and wanted them to leave. I realized they were trying to sell a vacuum when one of them started unpacking a crap-load of parts all on my clean floor. I asked how long it was going to take and the lady that asked to come in to get out of the cold started leaving..as she was going out the door she said "it wont take long" in a clearly aggravated voice. I lied and said I needed to leave within 15 minutes to run errands to the lady still unpacking vacuum parts on my floor and she said we wouldnt have time to go over everything..that it would take a HOUR to show me a vacuum I wasnt interrested in. She said she needed to call her boss and explain I had to go..that she was going to tell him I was going to pick up my little girl so he wouldnt pressure her to pressure me into buying the product and wasting my time. She took 20 MINUTES to pack up all the parts back into the boxes, and had the nerve to ask me for some ice water while she was clearly wasting my time. It was awkwardly silent and the women kept repeating herself..I asked how much they cost and she said she wasnt in charge of sales..that I would talk to her boss who she said is known to negotiate prices from around $2, 399.00 to $1, 000. I was thinking what kind of scam is this?!?! Not only that, she said that "he would buy back your old vacuum cleaner for a couple hundred. Eventhough you only probably paid about $70 for yours". FINALLY she got her stuff together and I rushed her out the door and reported them shortly after. They seemed so sketchy and get annoyed and rude if you dont seem interested. Lesson learned : never open the door for strangers..and if you do...if they arent your neighbors then lock the door..DO NOT let them in!! they will TRY to waste your time.

Salesmen LIE

I was told by the salesmen that they (Kirby Vacuums) belonged to Th American Heart and Lung Asso. and that if...

Sales scam

A teenage girl rang my doorbell on 2/12/10 at approximately 7pm. She asked to demonstrate a cleaning product by cleaning my rug for free. I told her I was not interested and tried to shut the door. As I was shutting the door, she stated "Please just let me clean your carpet. My boss won't let me go home unless I do one more carpet tonight!" I told her I didn't have any carpet. She pointed at my area rug and said "How about that area rug?" I decided it would not do any harm to let her clean the rug because she was young and seemed harmless. I believed she was by herself. I assumed it would take no more than 15-30 minutes to clean a small rug. She then told me she had a van driver. A middle aged man introduced himself as a Kirby salesman. He said "The owner is old and looking for new people to take over the business. So we are trying to prove to him that we can take over the business." They both seemed polite and professional up to this point. He collected my information and drove off, which virtually stranded the girl in my house with no transportation. The girl proceeded to unpack a lot of equipment and launched into a 1 hour presentation on a $2500 Kirby vacuum cleaner that I was not interested in buying. I kept telling her I was not interested in the vacuum and told her to stop trying to sell it to me, but she would not stop talking about the vacuum. She proceeded to clean everything in my house except the area rug, even though I asked her to finish the rug and go home. I then realized that she had lied about her offer to clean the rug and go. At 7:20pm I clearly informed her that she must finish the presentation before 7:30pm because I had plans. However, she ignored me and continued the presentation long past 7:30 even though I went into the kitchen and stopped listening to her. She even insisted on cleaning my mattress. I refused to let her into my bedroom. She said "But this won't count unless I clean the mattress." I told her to lie to her boss. She said "But he will inspect it to make sure I did it." She said he gets very angry if she does not follow his directions. I told her he was not allowed in my bedroom either. At this point I was angry and knew I was being scammed. I wanted her to leave, but I didn't want to turn a young girl out on a cold, dark, rainy night alone without transportation. I told her to call the van driver to pick her up, but she stalled by proceeding to clean the rug very slowly, one inch at a time. At approximately 8:00pm I firmly told her the presentation is over, I am done being nice, and she must immediately call the man back. It took her a while to convince him to come pick her up. He kept pressuring her to continue the presentation, even though she kept telling him that the customer is unhappy. It took him some time to arrive. Then he continued pressuring me to buy the $2500 vacuum, even though I repeatedly stated I was not interested, could not afford it and wanted him to leave immediately. I firmly told him to pack up and get out as quickly as possible because they were still in my house at 8:15pm even though I very clearly told her to leave by 7:30pm. He implied that I was being rude and should appreciate people cleaning my house for free. He twisted my words in odd ways. For example, when I said "This has gone on long enough", he responded in a sarcastic tone, "You mean the dirt in your house has gone on long enough?" I felt he was trying to provoke me. They finally left at about 8:30pm. I felt manipulated and violated because they took advantage of my hospitality by using a young innocent looking girl as a decoy, stranded her in my home, misrepresented their intentions, wasted 1.5 hours of my time, tried to guilt and shame me into buying a product I cannot afford, and refused to leave when asked. My friends claim I should have reported home invasion to the police. I am also concerned about the working conditions of the teenage girl. She clearly felt uncomfortable and apologized. The man appeared to be directing her actions and did not apologize. In fact, he appeared to feel entitled to remain in my home as long as he wanted despite my objections.

Unethical salesmanship

LIARS

DO NOT do business with Kirby. They started calling and badgering me to let them come and clean the carpet in my house. I said I wasn't interested and they continued to call for two weeks. Finally I caved and said yes so they would quit calling. They claimed they are super flexible and will come at my convenience. This is not the case. They only want to come when it is convenient to them. I have three small children and did not want them to come late at night. We finally agreed on 5 pm. They called the day of and cancelled. I rescheduled two more times. Each time I took off early from work and each time I spent the night before preparing and cleaning out the room to have the carpet cleaned. Three times they canceled at the last minute. Upon trying to reschedule the fourth time, I said I was a little sceptical and didn't know that I could trust they would come. I nicely explained that I needed to trust they would come before I tried to take off of work for the fourth time. The saleslady made some rude comments to me and hung up on me. How RUDE!! I will never attempt to do business with the Kirby carpet company.

Employment- hiring under false pretenses

How to not sell a Kirby Vacuum...

If you are interested in working for this company, please read below:

As the 2 people whom have worked for Intravision below described, the setup is an entire lie, they will hire under false pretenses; explain to you (after thoroughly asking "will I have appointments set up, and not be forced to immediately walk the streets"), they will tell you that there are appointments set up, you will not be walking the streets 'my friend'. So Monday my first day of work, I expect to go to three people's homes for pre-scheduled demonstrations, if there is time left over, I will use the initiative to set up appointments door to door. However, what happened is we ended up squeezing(overseating) people into a car, we get dropped off in a neighborhood, and were then instructed to walk door to door asking people if they want a free room cleaned... This will continue until 9pm, and hopefully somebody will say yes so we can intrude thier home and overstay our welcome.

-So thankfully we happened to be in my area, so I told the guy I quit, rode the bus home, and am now applying at different places(As well as polishing my knowledge of the BBB which our lovely company is a part of...) I got laid off last week, therefore wasted a week and a half. I think we all know how stressfull this is. All I can hope is that somebody reads this, and listens to the exact same warning from everybody.

***It doesn't matter how smart you are, or how many of the right questions you ask. If somebody is going to lie to you, they are getting paid to lie.***

I'll say this in closing:This job is not for everybody, and if going door to door in 30 degree cold persuading people on fixed incomes to get another loan is your idea of a real job, then have at it!!!

-Unemployed
Austin Tx.

• Sh
    shellyO Aug 26, 2010

I am a 19 year old female looking for a job and found the add on craig's list for an "advertising and marketing sales associate" so I found the location of the company (which went by a different name, under kirby). they had me fill out an application and the manager pulled me aside for an interview, saying i appeared sharp and got a "thumbs up" from the owner. even though i have no college education. they asked if I could leave my other job early the next day to watch a video demonstration. the man never said exactly what i'd be selling, but that a car would be provided and that i'd be a part of a sales team. he did talk up the pay and 3 week a year paid vacation. thankfully my mom and my boyfriend knew people who were pulled into similar situations, worked 80 hours a week and were just thrown into a neighborhood to sell vacuums. in conclusion, i'm not just another pretty face, kirby!

Lie about employment!

I saw an ad on craigslist for a Customer Service Representative position. It stated that you will make a...

KIRBY VACUME SALESMAN

HAD A SALESMAN BRIAN CLANTON COME TO MY HOME MAYBE 20 YO TO TRY TO SALE ME A KIRBY. HE WAS SO FULL OF IT FROM THE TIME HE CAME IN MY HOME. DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE IN!!! THEY ARE SCAMERS AND EXTREMLY FORCEFUL DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TAKE NO FOR A ANSWER AND WILL TRY TO TAKE UP 3 TO 4 HOURS OF YOUR TIME. ALMOST GOT ME TO PURCHASE AT 2300.00 DOLLARS THANK GOD I BACKED OUT IN TIME. BUT IT TOOK ME ANOTHER HOUR TO GET THEM TO LEAVE MY HOUSE. KEPT SAYING I HAD TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM. LATER I FOUND WEBSITE 899.00 SAME ITEM OH MY GOD WHAT A SCAME. I ALMOST HAD TO CALL THE POLICE TO GET THIS YOUNG BOY TO LEAVE. THE SUPERVISOR HAD A FIT WHEN I BACKED OUT AND I PROMISE TURNED INTO A 1YEAR OLD WHO WAS TAKEN AWAY HIS BOTTLE, NO JOKE!!!LOL LOSERS DO NOT LET THEM IN.

Lies

Lie throughout training claiming the employee does not go door to door but participates in pre-made appointments. One must do 50 demos to get paid, but rarely has the chance to do so and wont get any money unless successful in pressuring customers to purchase. RUDE managers. PUSHY sales tactics putting one in an uncomfortable position. Lie about financing and leaving a family with a bill they cant afford.

angelfire0788 Oct 03, 2010

i don't know what Kirby DT you are working for, but I've been with Kirby for a while now and I don't have a RUDE MANAGER! We do have appointments set up for us and you don't have to do 50 demos before you get paid. Get your facts straight before you start trashing people!

jamesrh799999 Jan 02, 2011

I have worked for kirby going on 4 years now . people do not buy things they dont want.and just like the last guy saidthier isant any distributor who requires 50 demos to get paid it is only 15 look just becuse you couldnt make it as a salesman dosent mean you have to bash the job and put over in flated lies on the internet but hold on isant that the exact reason you got on this sight to complain about kirby lieing to you yet you lie when you complain stop feeling sorry for yourself and find a new job

• Ga
    galathonredd Sep 28, 2011

Don't listen to those two, clearly they're doing Kirby PR work, and if the truth were to go uncovered, they'd lose out big. Kirby regularly needs fresh blood, little guys they can step on so the big guys can make money. I used to work 14 hours a day for them just to get cheated on every sale and paycheck. The original poster is right about their tactics - never tell someone who they're working for or what they're doing until you've wasted time on their UNPAID sales training; I've phoned the local center (Bremerton) three times now, and had to trick them into admitting they're Kirby every time by pretending to be an out-of-town associate.

If this were a good company to work for, they'd be able to proudly admit "Hey, were Kirby, and we're hiring!" The fact that they do not, and misrepresent themselves in their job postings, should be a warning sign to anyone who gets involved. They KNOW they are slime. Great product, great machine; horrible way to make a living.

Vaccum Cleaners

I am writing this complaint for the benefit of everyone that may be thinking about buying a Kirby in the...

Free Demo's

I was offered a free demo and was told I was put in a drawing for a type of grand prize. I was told they would come out and do my carpets for free and there was no obligation. Instead when the demonstrator arrived I was told to give my banking information or there would be no free carpet cleaning demo so I told the demonstrator to leave. When I complained to his company they assured me that is not how they do business and they set up yet another free demo to make right the situation, but this time the demonstrator called ahead to ask for the banking info and when I refused to give it he said they would not bother coming out at all.

Employment practice

KIrby distributors treat their workers as independent contractors. This is a violation of tax laws. IRS publication 15-A has a definition of an employee and an independent contractor.

If you have worked for Kirby and were paid as an independent contractor you can submit search for IRS form SS-8, fill it out and send it to the IRS.
This will allow you to amend your tax return for when you worked for Kirby and get more money back.

• Mi
    midnight414 Jan 29, 2010

DODGED A BULLET!! BEWARE OF "APPOINTMENT SETTERS" EMPLOYMENT!!
    I agree with the complaints. I have been out of work for 6 months and at the point of being desperate for a job, any job. The local Job Center/Workforce Development agency has a listing for "appointment setters" for RTS Distributors LLC. I called today and they didn't even answer with the company name - I had to ask. I did end up with an interview - in a shady part of town. You know how something just doesn't feel right? I did some research before going and I found out LOADS of stuff. Fortunately, someone from my town had posted a complaint about them. After that, I did some more digging with the BBB here in the US. I found out that the Attorney General from Wisconsin pursued a consumer protection settlement with the 14 RTS Distributor LLC offices here and in Minnesota that required them to pay $56, 428 for unfair and deceptive business practices. One of the things was "Failing to properly identify themselves and the purpose of their contact in telephone, mail, or in-home solicitations." That's exactly what happened to me. The list goes on from there about the action that the AG took against these "distributors." I called back to cancel the interview and again they never identified themselves - I had to ask. I canceled the "interview" and they never bothered to ask my name or why I wanted to cancel - apparently they have been through this before!! I am SO lucky I did a little research beforehand. I know the economy is rough, but I hope others take a little time to research the company they may be applying with - it may save you in the end. Remember you're interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you - DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

• Lo
    Loll May 22, 2010

I have worked for kirby for the last two weeks seven days a weeks 12 hours a day under the impression i would get a nice little wage putting the hours in and was told after 30 days you get payed! I to got told you have to do 60 demos to get payed and was told appointments were arranged up until a few days ago i sussed out thats untrue.Way they work is they make sure you dont ever get 60 demos and use you to get all there leads that these last few days i have sussed.I started getting very wary and the hours made it more so i was getting leads door knocking with very few demos. Me and another girl were the only remaining out of 20 so after looking into it more tonight on here i rang her and made her aware and as it stands im no mug working my [censor] for two weeks with no pay so they can take a running jump and come and knock on my door for you demonstration kirby back because thats my pay you aint getting it! I advise no one to work for them they are a scam.

Inexplicable company

Kirby Vacuum is very inexplicable. The first time I had received my vacuum cleaner from them, it worked great. I had no problems with it whatsoever. I couldn't ask for anything more than that. It was the best quality ever absolutely first-rate. They even sent accessories to last me years. After a couple of months, it started giving me some problem. I called the original number of Kirby and I wouldn't get through. Then I had to give it to a local repair shop and they said that the part that was giving problem was not an original part. I was so annoyed and felt I was cheated by Kirby. I don't know if they are still in business because I never get through their number and do not get any replies. I will see that I warn all my friends about them if at all they are still in business.

Angimj0202 Jun 03, 2010

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with Kirby. I had a salesman come to my home and he was courteous and very polite. I purchased the Kirby Sentria and after a few days I had forgotten a few things to do and the same salesman came to my home to show me again at no cost. The Kirby Sentria is a great vacuum and I have never had a problem with it. I know that Kirby salesmen often get a bad reputation but they are not all bad. Do not hold a bad salesman against Kirby itself.

• Pj
    p. jackson Jun 02, 2011

I had a visit as well from a Kirby Sales Lady, she was the most polite person I have ever met, respectable and everything, so i went ahead and purchased the Kirby, the next day, something occurred and i could not keep the vacuum, i sent in the cancellation in due time, and they refused to pick it up, they stated they came to my house at 11:30am, on 3 different occasions, and I stated to them, why wouldn't you let me know, because i WORK everyday except weekends, then they told the finance company that i wanted to keep the Kirby, i called like daily, and left dozens of messages, and they actually did not pick it up until 40 days after i sent them the cancellation form, they threatened to go into my account, garnish me, it was ridiculous, enjoyed the Saleslady, but the Company it self is very unprofessional, I have told all of my 30 references not to purchase one, I mean, come on now, I shop at Boston Store weekly and never have a problem returning anything.

sales tactics

Do not do business with them. Kirby is strictly a franchise business. JRB Enterprises is owned by some dumb...

a loan

kirby company made aloan i didnt want to preferred credit company my husband signed he has alzhimers i didnt no what went on . iwas gone for awhile when i came back she told me to sign this paper she said it was to insure her incase we didnt want it .i told her from the get go i didnt want it to come back & get it she said she would tomorrow. i havnt seen her yet &thats been 2 weeks ago now preferred credit keeps calling since my husband signed we owe them. 2, 400.00

3 Day Return Policy

Unethical Credit practices

To avoid the worlds largest skam don't let in the Kirby vacuum cleaner salesman. They say that you will...

vacuum cleaners

they start with A sweet little young ladies and gentlemen telling they need money for college and they get $50 if you would just let them clean a room or area rug or piece of furniture. they mention a new store in town with cleaning supplies...never does the word kirby come out of their mouth .

not until you agree to the free cleaning, that will only take 15 mins tops...then a another super duper salesmen shows up to start the super duper sales pitch.

the whole thing wouldn't be so bad except they almost always show up at dinner time(my visit was 5:15 on a monday eveing if you can believe that ) they tell you the whole thing will only take 15 mins ...try 1 hour or more if you even remotely look interested.

then they show you a pretty good demo which no matter what vaccum you have is going to make yours look like crap

but the bottom line is do you have to $2400 to spend on a vacuum, although i have read some complaint that say the actually got them down to $600 but I still see complaints about the vacuum itself really not lasting the way it should for that amount of money.

BEWARE AND JUST TELL THEM... NO... EVEN IF YOU FALL FOR THE SWEET GIRL OR WELL MANNERED GENTLEMEN YOU SEE UPFRONT AS SOON AS THE GUY SHOWS UP WITH THE VACUUM ...SCREAM NO!!! SLAM THE DOOR SHUT AND CLOSE THE BLINDS

• Ki
    Kirby Killer Jul 22, 2009

ANYONE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WHO HAS BEEN BENT OVER BY KIRBY'S 3 DAY RETURN POLICY AND WOULD LIKE RETRIBUTION, EMAIL ME AT:

[email protected]

I AM GOING TO TRY AND ORGANIZE A PROTEST TO TAKE THIS SALES OFFICE DOWN!

They do not tell you about their return policy and when I called within 2 days, the number provided DID NOT WORK! When I finally got a hold of someone they were extremely rude and unforgiving. If that is not pulling a fast one on someone I don't know what is. I want to make their lives a living hell!

Terrible company

My grandmother got over pressured and intimidated into buying a kirby sentria vacuum package, she told him she wasnt interested many times, but shes 78 and just to polite to get angry and threaten to call the police to remove this young, energetic salesman 'real good snake oil salesman'. After several hours of high pressure sales techniques she caved and is the new owner of a kirby sentria cleaning system for $1476. When my grandfather found out grandmother was pressured into buying a vacuum that cost more than the truck he was driving she has been depressed and humiliated for days and hes been pissed off and in disbelief. I was so angry at these guys running around scamming senior citizens but i didnt wanna tell my grandmother she got ripped off big time and humiliate her more and then tell her we should cancel before the 3 day cooling off period. So i decided to check out the vacuum in the hopes that i could let this deal stand and still sleep at night. First thing i noticed is this thing is a heavy beast, my grandmother cannot lift it off the ground, first thing i did was put on the suction hose to see kirbys legendary power for myself. Just to hook that hose up you have to disengage the belt turn a couple clips and remove the entire front half of the vacuum and then clip the hose on, remember my grandmother cant even lift this thing or bend down long enough for this task. I took out our 2 year old eureka boss bagless that we bought refurbished at alco for around a $100 and half full of dirt and dog hair and compared side by side with the kirby that was only used in the demo. It wasnt even close, the eurekas suction clearly trumped the kirby in my judgment. I then vacuumed and the lil rocks larger than sand where left behind. Kirby's legendary power and cleaning ability might of been true decades back but in this day and age it is a total marketing myth in my opinion Their legendary reliability seems to be a decades old myth as most of todays electric motors last a very long time and high strength plastic renders their use of aluminum just for marketing, operating 5 minutes 2 times a week for 10 years is nothing special for todays electric motors. We have ceiling fans that last that long running almost run 24/7. 1 day left in the cooling off period and to me the moral thing to do is not reward these strongarm practices and cancel payment if possible, which ive read its almost impossible. well see. There is 1 reason kirby is sold door to door, if it was in a store being offered with competing vacuums it would be totally absurd to buy 1 and they know it! The power assist helps you push this heavy vacuum nicely, but thats only when it running.

• Ki
    Kirby Killer Jul 22, 2009

[email protected]

I AM GOING TO TRY AND ORGANIZE A PROTEST TO TAKE THIS SALES OFFICE DOWN!

• Th
    theboss1 Dec 14, 2009

I just quit working for Kirby after 3 days well 7 if you count the 4 days of training. I was told 500 a week if you do 14 demos. It's physically impossible to do 14 demos people most of the time you get cursed at and the door slammed in your face. Do not work for Kirby this is how they make their money off of you. I wish they sold the product in stores because I've never seen anything clean like the sentria, It's amazing. I sold 3 kirby's my first day just showing what it could do to rich people. If you pay anything over 1400 for a kirby your getting ripped off, my van leader started the price at 4500 and the highest price allowed is 2800,

Just don't work for Kirby and they will have to operate like a real business, it's suckers like me that make the wheel go around, my three sales made the boss 2000 at least and I was told I would start making money once I sell 20 machines. I said goodbye, I didn't like lying to old people or working with cheats. I only sold to rich people and all I did was show how amazing the product is, because it is totally amazing but the company and people are greedy and rotten.

scam scam scam

watch out when the dealer comes to your home to "present" the kirby vacuum cleaner and give you a free carpet...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices