Kars 4 KidsFraud

A

What a joke. We donated our car to Kars 4 kids and were told we would get a 2 night 3 day hotel stay with World wide travel center. I was told to send a check and credit card info and a signed statement that the hotel could charge me for 'damages'. I felt uneasy about this and called the place we donated our car to they assured me that World wide travel center was a legit company so I fell for the b.s. and gave all of my info, sent a $3 reactivation fee and have been told over and over that there are no reservations available. I have called over and over and I either get cut off or told to pick another date or destination. I wasted hours and hours giving new dates and destinations only to be told that low and behold there is nothing available that day! What a surprise. I asked to speak to a manager and was hung up on!!! I called back and somehow was cut off. I complained again to kars 4 kids and have not heard back yet.

• Fw
    fwf Aug 13, 2008

the "travel agent" is probably the same scammers as the kars4kids.

• Mo
    mojo25a Dec 19, 2008

Kars4kids is a scam organization. I learned of them after watching a local television report in New York City. Kars4kids takes your car, sells it and they use the money to help only certain types of children which they don't mention anywhere. They send orthodox Jewish kids to summer camps in upstate New York and I not sure if other places as well including Israel. Kars4kids do not support any or all kids regardless of race, gender, RELIGION. If you check out their website: kars4kids.org, all the way on the bottom of the home webpage in very fine print there are links to their other Jewish organizations. I wish at least they would say upfront they are a Jewish charity, and they only support Jewish kids, I rather give my money to a charity that gives money for all children, regardless of religion.

• Ka
    Kars 4 Kids Feb 17, 2009

I was unaware of this complaint until now, and therefore apologize for the delay in my response. I checked in our records, and discovered that this donor had indeed left a message for our customer service manager, but that the message was not returned. Even though Kars4Kids has no authority over the vacation voucher conditions, we have stepped in when our donors have complained about various difficulties in obtaining their vacation. We have always done our best to be responsive and to represent our donors’ interests. In this case, the ball was dropped on our end and we sincerely apologize for any difficulties encountered. We have sent out a new vacation voucher from a different company to the donor in question.

Additionally, in response to the comments posted to this complaint, Kars 4 Kids is a car donation program that uses the proceeds to help children. We are a genuine charity and run real programs to assist as many children as possible. Complaints about our services are extremely rare. If for some reason a car doesn’t get picked up as scheduled or a receipt is slow in coming, we take care of it. Nobody can say—and nobody does say – that Kars4Kids fails to perform the service it advertises. Those that think that Kars4Kids tries to confuse our donors or hide the chain leading to the recipients of our charitable programs should simply look on our website. Many people log onto an organization’s website before they make charitable donations. If they want to know who runs the organization and what it does. Kars4Kids’ potential donors, if they follow that procedure, find out immediately that they are giving their money to JOY, a fundraising organization that donates its proceeds to Oorah, and that Oorah promotes Jewish education and values as the cornerstone of its overall service to disadvantaged Jewish children.

Overall, Kars 4 Kids provides the services promised in a timely manner. We work to ensure a smooth experience for our donors, and step in to help if there are ever any problems. We minimize our expenses and maximize on our proceeds to help as many children as possible.

• Ke
    ken mihok Apr 29, 2009

Kars for kids does not spread money equally, after doing a background check I found out that OUTREACH CENTER FOR CHILDREN actually distributes charity money equally so I donated my car where it would do the most for children. [protected] try it!

• Sk
    Skeptical Tom Oct 07, 2009

I was thinking of looking into Kars4Kids, but looked here first. Their radio ads stick in your head like a migrane!

Thanks so much for the information, all of you. I am just starting the process of donating a car, but don't mind doing the research to avoid a scam, or any organiztion seemingly doing "damage control", as it looks somewhat for K4K. In my view, the real ones don't even have to do any back-peddling or band-aiding toward any problems. The Red Cross rarely has any complaints, because everyone knows what they do, and they do it with limited resources, doing a whole lot of good.

I also plan to start at the IRS website, as suggested in another place I looked.

Thanks again,
    Td in Massachusetts

• Pi
    pissedatkars Nov 04, 2009

What a rip-off.If they want the car be honest. Now this time share crap has my income and name and are trying to cram crap down my throat. The same garbage is available at every tourist trap area in the country. I will go out of my way to let others know of this scam.

• Bo
    bobby999 Dec 25, 2009

Do not donate to KARS FOR KIDS. DO YOUR RESEARCH. They pick and choose who they want to help and don't fulfill their promises.

• Go
    gotalife32 Feb 04, 2010

I have to say I was disappointed as well. I donated my car which was in great shape and the KBB was valued at 2600.00 and they sent me a max right off of $500.00. Which I am in the process of acquiring an attorney. Not sure what is going on there, but I think and audit is in order.

• Ga
    GarryV Aug 13, 2020

@gotalife32 An attorney for that small figure ($2500) - ludicrous.

• Me
    MELH Feb 10, 2010

I appreciate this feedback...I am looking to donate my car and will make SURE that Kars for Kids will NOT be getting my donation. This many unhappy people MEANS something! Thanks again for posting.

• Dh
    dhenderson73 Apr 13, 2010

I agree! What a mistake! We donated a car in good-shape valued at $2, 500.00 and they gave us a receipt for only $500.00! They said that's all it sold for! hmmmmm...the "free" hotel isn't free they want us to pay $50.00 to reserve a room! Wish I would have done my research!! Don't make the same mistake we did!!!

• Ro
    rosalee222 Apr 14, 2010

Jeez--if the voucher is the reason you're donating your car, then why donate it at all; sell it instead (or see what you can get from the junkyard yourself). What a bunch of whiners. Their site details who the money benefits, so if you don't bother to even check the site, then don't act all outraged and surprised to find out that they benefit Jewish children--and so what? what's wrong with that? Lots of charities focus on a particular group.

I donated my car to Kars for Kids and have only good things to say about the experience. I got an immediate and courteous e-mail response after filling out the online donation form, with detailed information about the process. The (local) tow company showed up the next day, was extremely professional, and my sitting-dead old car was towed away. I got the tax receipt and the complementary hotel voucher within a week. The voucher comes with detailed instructions about its use and limitations and says upfront that (1) you have to send a $50 deposit in order to activate it and (2) that room availability may be limited in certain periods (high season/weekends). Again, if you can't be bothered to read the information provided, then you have only yourself to blame. I haven't decided if it's worth the hassle to use it, but since I donated my car for CHARITY and not for some hotel voucher, who cares?

In other words, if you want to benefit a charity by donating your car, Kars 4 Kids is efficient and courteous. If you're looking to make a buck somehow, take the time to sell the damn thing yourself.

Calhouri Apr 15, 2010

Come on Rosalee, you never did anything to make a buck? Everyone has if not a little larceny at least a little acquisitiveness in their heart. That's what scammers count on. OK, maybe Kars 4 Kids is not on the Nigerian bank fraud level, but after listening to that damned jingle I decided to do a little research on the outfit and what I've discovered is not very flattering to the organization. I mean the radio spots (which I hear during Mets games) are so vague I originally took the organization name literally. What the hell do kids need with cars, I thought; given 'em to out of work adults looking for employment.

The fact is, the spots are misleading and the website is about as forthcoming as a credit card agreement. If you don't care that your donation is going to an extremely sectarian outfit (that doesn't go out of its way to present itself as such) that's fine. But you needn't graft your "tolerance" onto those who don't share that feeling.

Cannoneer01 May 04, 2010

Kars4Kids is a sham that should lose their 501(c)3 tax-exempt status.

Chris22222 May 26, 2010

Sure does sound like a bunch of whiners here. I donated my car to Kars 4 kids a few years ago. They picked up it promptly and i received my receipt.
    I immediately took the vacation voucher and chucked it in the garbage. If I want a vacation I will book priceline and find the accomodation that I am interested in.
    There is nothing wrong with an organization furthering jewish education.

• Dy
    dylansdad Jun 07, 2010

I agree with Chris2222 and others - a donation is a donation and there are plenty of charities that are focused on a specific cause, so do your research!

I donated a car to Kars4Kids in 2006 and I may be donating another shortly - the engine in my 2001 PT Cruiser blew out recently and it doesnt pay to get it replaced, but maybe it can do someone else a little good, kwim?

• Wl
    WLodge Jun 16, 2010

Donated our old dead truck yesterday. No hassle so far. In fact they were really prompt and even called 30 mins (at my request) prior to arrival so that my husband could come home and deal with it all. We do plan on using the voucher. We live in San Diego and plan on taking our Daughter to a Disneyland or another place like that and since I have health issues being able to stay the night near the location to be able to rest afterwords rather than having to drive home is a big bonus for us. I wasn't looking at the voucher at some big adventure just a resource to allow us to have a decent time.

• De
    denny k Jun 18, 2010

I guess the main point is that the money goes to charity... reguardless of who is there choice is. If you took a better look at a lot of charties and see what they do with there money you might be surprised. The only thing you really need to look at is what part of the money goes to charity. Take karsforkids they gobble up millions of dollars for "operation costs" how is that you charity can take in several millions and less then 25% or so goes to actual charity. When any of us donate something it for some personal benifit. We donate for free things, vacations, tax right off, or that feeling inside knowing that we are trying to help those who need it. Every charity has a cost of doing good for others, face it the world we live in isn't free. When a charity makes it profitable to themselves but shifting money around and paying themselves large salaries to so call run there .org then thats when it stops being a charity.

A charity that is for childern is great...if the most of money goes to kids. Figure for every dollar that is give let it be a car, clothes, or money. they take a chunk of that and pocket it. Could you see yourself giving money to a bell ringing at christmas time and he takes the dollar you give and puts that in his pocket pulls out a quater and drops in the bucket. You would would be mad or upset!! Then he tells you that the money goes to pay him for ringing that bell.

What so called "charities" are doing is making charity work into big fat pockets for themselves. If all you want is that car that has taken up space gone then give to whom ever. If you want your money to go to a good cause do some research. Almost every charity that excepts donations in the form of items will except cars. Find a local charity before calling karsforkids.

btw rosalee222 did a nice detailed disc. of the whole process. Info only a person that works for kars4kids would list... nice post to recover some bad press.

• Cf
    Cf77ss0 Jul 13, 2010

@rosalee222 THANKYOU lord almighty. Why are people DONATING for personal gain? that's not charitable in any way, it's [censor]ic at best to think so.
    If you want to donate somthing to charity, why not give the car to a nephew/son/grandson/godson whatever that has no car and would work on it and love it for his own. These charities sell/part your car and donate 10-50% at best to the people they choose, why not choose a person yourself and let them get 100% of the value out of it. Of course if you're donating for a tax rightoff, that's not donating, and you might as well use Kars4Kids

• Sh
    sh90_47 Aug 04, 2010

anamido2010

Sam0070 Aug 08, 2010

This organization is a scam, its a rip-off. Please do not use this org for you donation, these crooks are not upfront and they beat around the bush to get your donation and make money off of it.

STAY AWAY from these CROOKS!

Notafan12345 Aug 09, 2010

Thank u so much for all the information. I for one do NOT want to donate my car to any charity helping Jewish people whatsoever in anyway and I highly doubt they have a high poverty level since they basically run the country. I will now donate my car to help children who need it the most which is NOT Jewish children. The money probably is going to fund Israel's war and attempt to take over the rest of the Middle East anyway.

• Ri
    Rich Bur Aug 09, 2010

They do appear to be a scam of some sort. I donated my car in April. I strictly just wanted to donate it to charity and get the tax write off, which is only going to save me 30-40% or so of the car's retail price. I have yet to get any documents on this donation. I keep emailing them, and they reply the car hasn't sold yet, or it just sold and the receipt is on its way. So far no receipt or any documentation from them whatsoever has shown. I just emailed them again, so perhaps they will give me an update.

But I felt in looking up for them as a scam since it's been 4 months now since I've donated my car to them. I've yet to receive a tax receipt or any documentation from them at all.

Rich

• Bc
    bcd234 Aug 12, 2010

They're calling this guy the next Bernie Madoff...

"While my client was bugging him to get his money back, he got a wire transfer one day from Kars 4 Kids for $320, 000, '' Weisbrot said. "That was very strange. Why are they giving $320, 000 at the direction of Eli Weinstein, who should have no control over their bank accounts?''

• Co
    Corno di Bassetto Sep 01, 2010

Check them out at www.charitynavigator.org. :

* About 1/3 of the money they collect goes to fundraising -- unacceptably high
    * They're being investigated by the New York AG -- far from an indictment, but a BIG red flag

• Di
    Dissatisfied Donor Sep 16, 2010

I donated my car back in 2007. The vacation voucher was a joke. I wasn't disappointed in that. No big deal. Trashed it. But today, September 2010... I got a parking ticket on the donated car. Three years later! Why am I still the registered owner? When the car was donated, why didn't Kars4Kids change the ownership as promised?
    Now I get to spend my time with the DMV, City of National City, and Lord knows who else sorting this mess out. All for the sake of donating a car. I should have chosen another charity.

MaggieD Sep 23, 2010

To those of you who thought the hotel voucher was "much, " do you also send phishing scams your passwords? This is a charity. AND A CONVENIENCE TO HAVE A JUNK CAR TOWED AWAY. I've used them in the past and plan to do so shortly. It's convenient. If you really expect that a thank-you hotel voucher is worth more than the piece of crap you donated, send me your passwords. I'm from your bank. If your car is worth $2, 500, sell it and give them the money to the ACS. Yeah, like that'll be happening anytime soon.

• Na
    Najda Oct 29, 2010

I was planning to donate my car to Kars 4 Kids until I did some research and found out that the money goes to priviaged jewish kids and the IRS informed me that it is illegal to offer incentives for the donations. I cannot believe these people are still in business. Anyway, I did further research to see which is the best charity on Long Island and Long Island Cares has the best reputation for their charities becuase it actually goes to helping feed poor people. They came and picked up my car, ontime and the person that did the pickup was very sweet.

• Ka
    Kay A. Ess Nov 09, 2010

Kars 4 Kids has paid damages totaling over $100, 000 in Oregon and Pennsylvania for misleading the public about it's ties to a religious organization and the value of its vacation vouchers.

K4K admitted, in its case in Oregon, that the vacation voucher is "essentially worthless." This is important because receiving a valuable renumeration for a donation negates your ability to use it as a tax write off.

• Pg
    PGS Dec 07, 2010

This "charity" has never passed my "sniff test." They spend a fortune advertising nationwide earning huge sums for the advertising manager and when I looked to see what they actually do and what kids actually benefit, I was shocked. For all I know this guy hand picks children of friends and family so they can go to fancy Jewish summer camps or expensive Jewish private schools. There is no way anyone can apply for help from this charity. What a joke. I don't care about the scam vacation package-those are almost always frauds anyway-I want my money to help people who need it so I donated my car to the local public radio station. If you want your donation to benefit some Jewish kids in New Jersey, this is for you-but not me-sorry.

• Lu
    lurch Dec 26, 2010

I've not donated a car to Kars 4 Kids, nor do I plan to. Their advertisements are in abundance, on WGN 720 (Chicago). Estimating the cost of each ad to be around $250 to $350, you have to wonder how much actually goes to the so-called legitimate cause versus their overhead and administrative costs. I'd rather look in my community for a prospective recipient (person or organization).

• Br
    britty227 Dec 28, 2010

I have no complaints about Kars4Kids. It was completely hassle-free; someone came to pick up my car that wouldn't even start, towed it off, and it was done. I never used the hotel voucher and could have cared less. I didn't donate my car for a free trip. I donated it to get it off my hands and hopefully contribute to somebody-Jewish, African American, handicapped, whoever-getting some sort of benefit from it.

• Br
    britty227 Dec 28, 2010

I have no complains with Kars4Kids. It was completely hassle-free; filled out a form on their website (which clearly states the proceeds go to a Jewish organization. Also says that a $50 deposit is required to reserve the hotel...shouldn't be such a shocker to people afterwards if they took 5 minutes to do a little background research), someone called me to set up a time to pick my car up, arrived on time, towed my car that hadn't started in ages, done. Don't really see how this can be categorized as a "scam".

• To
    TomInNJ Jan 07, 2011

Anyone who donates their car to this organization and thinks it is a scam only has themselves to blame. If you donate your car, you owe it to yourself anyways to do some basic research. And I do mean BASIC.

On the Vacation voucher FAQ page it says dates will be limited, and it also says: "Q: Is this a timeshare?
    A: We have availability with and without a timeshare presentation." Could you get a timeshare presentation? YES! You might also not if you depending on availability. How do you think a charity can give out free vacations? They can't! It says this is a third party offer. FYI: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. "Q: What hotels are available for stay?
    A: It will be a similar hotel to the Holiday Inn or within that price range."

Click on WHY US? and the second thing down says: "Donate your car to benefit Joy for Our Youth J.O.Y. is a 501(c)(3) charity organization providing for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of distressed at-risk Jewish youth." Note "JEWISH YOUTH."

This is not a scam, it's just a charity trying to raise money. As someone with family working for nonprofits, I know how hard it can be to get donations. At least this way I got rid of my car and maybe helped send a couple kids to summer camp. You ever go to summer camp as a kid? It's awesome! I'm glad someone benefited from my crappy car.

• Em
    emeraldwolf Jan 09, 2011

How sad, you donate a car, looking to get a vacation for it. You are better off selling the car and donating the money you received for it. Any time you get something back after donating, whether it be a t shirt or a vacation, you know the money is not really going totally to those in need. Stop being so greedy and stop expecting something back in return. Donate from your heart and really mean it.

• Im
    Impala24 Jan 14, 2011

I don't understand all the complaints. I was just speaking with a coworker of mine who has donated a few cars to Kars 4 Kids. He hasn't had a problem yet. Honestly, who cares if they are donating their funds to Jewish education? Sounds a little anti-Semetic for so many people to be complaining about where the money goes to. And $500 is more than you get selling it to a junkyard (especially if it doesn't run). If you're only in it for the vacation then you're doing the charity for the wrong reasons.

• Im
    Impala24 Jan 14, 2011

And another thing...the $50 (according to my source) is a refundable deposit. And this is in case you damage something in the hotel room.

not convinced granny Feb 03, 2011

Some of you are plenty naive - of course people give to get something, the point of the vacation offer is to encourage exactly that. I don't feel the need to donate ANYTHING to an organization that gives only to one small segment of needy kids. If Kars for Kids wasn't trying to hide that fact, it would be in much larger print and right up front.

cat155 Apr 03, 2011

I've donated 2 cars to K4K, no problems. As someone else pointed out the complaints here are more at the level of whining, no one has has pointed out any evidence of fraud like k4k executives skimming money, or overvaluing the donation value to cheat the IRS. K4K has to report what the car was sold for at auction, as anyone who has sold cars in todays economy know good luck getting the KBB valuation.

• Re
    red_z06 Apr 05, 2011

I've donated 1978 Lotus Esprit last year. It is a classic at the same time being an exotic that James Bond drove underwater (in the movie). Based on eBay auctions and through other venues it was valued at $5, 000+. I have received a receipt for $500 for the tax purpose. I never cared for the vacation nor did I know about it. Even if I did know, I would not have taken up on that offer so no complaint for the vacation part. After all, I was donating for the good cause. However, getting $500 for the $5, 000+ wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I though I would get close to $5, 000 for the value so I would recoup 1/3 of that in tax return.
    The simmons real 3 piece assembled wheel/tire set alone was $3, 500 when they were added. I asked for the actual auctioned price as I simply could not believe that the vehicle was sold for less than $500, at which point they just give you the $500 credit instead of the actual sold value.
    I suspect any car worth something is switched with a junk before getting to the actual auction and the proceeds pocketed. I asked for the location where it was sold to and they would not release the info. This ups my suspicion about foul play even more.

Comments

• Do
    Don't like being duped! Apr 22, 2011

I wish that I had done a little bit more research before donating my car. I was told that our car would be auctioned and we would receive a notice of how much the car brought at auction. It has already been 2 months and we have not heard a thing. I know that companies can buy those travel vouchers as incentive. They cost about $12 each. To tell the truth, the vacation voucher was the thing that got me to donate to K4K over another charity. I needed a vacation. I had no idea that I would be forced to send $50 before I even went. The $ will be refunded ONLY if they receive your request in writing after your hotel stay (if you get it). I hate being duped! I don't like being told that something is free but I have to pay something to get it (oh, but you can get your money refunded - yeah, sure). I also don't like being given time limits. The voucher had to be sent (with $) no later than 30 days after receiving it. And for those of you who say "c'mon, it's a charity, who cares what kids get sent to camp". I couldn't send my own child to camp, why would I care whether any of the rest of them get there!