Kars 4 KidsFraud

A

What a joke. We donated our car to Kars 4 kids and were told we would get a 2 night 3 day hotel stay with World wide travel center. I was told to send a check and credit card info and a signed statement that the hotel could charge me for 'damages'. I felt uneasy about this and called the place we donated our car to they assured me that World wide travel center was a legit company so I fell for the b.s. and gave all of my info, sent a $3 reactivation fee and have been told over and over that there are no reservations available. I have called over and over and I either get cut off or told to pick another date or destination. I wasted hours and hours giving new dates and destinations only to be told that low and behold there is nothing available that day! What a surprise. I asked to speak to a manager and was hung up on!!! I called back and somehow was cut off. I complained again to kars 4 kids and have not heard back yet.

• Ka
    Kars4kids is a scam Oct 30, 2019

These kars 4 kids [censored] are total scammers. Loosing millions in ponzi schemes and bad real estate deals and spending many times more money on advertising than on their actual charity. Also they seem to value all cars at $500 to avoid gov reporting.

• De
    Denise Wagner-Lamper Feb 01, 2019

I donated my car 7 weeks ago and Kars 4 Kid has still not sent me my tax recipe and my vacation voucher. Anyone else have this problem? They just say they are trying to get the best price for my car. In the mean time I want to file my taxes. I think 7 weeks is enough time to auction a car.

• Wi
    Windlwomaker1016 Aug 15, 2018

HI, Kars4Kids is a scam operation...I recently donated a car to them - they couldn't find any record of it, finally did, they gave me a receipt for $500.00 - I did a good and went to the FlDMV and found out the car really sold for $3050.00..
    I plan on suing and taking this to the media to expose the fraud.

• Sl
    SlimTim Oct 06, 2017

Just got back from our trip using the Vacation Breakaway offer. No problems and pretty easy. I was apprehensive after reading this. I did, however, only get the standard $500 receipt. That was lame.

• Br
    Brian Bohdan James Aug 28, 2017

Donated a really nice 2000 Acura TL with 104, 500 miles that had been sitting in my garage, received a receipt for $500. Have noticed that many people have been issued a $500 receipt regardless of the value of the car. Could somebody in the pipeline be pocketing the difference between the actual funds received and the $500. This looks very very suspicious.

• Be
    BettyBfromMD Jun 07, 2017

I am not sure about the Cars for Kids organization as a whole, but we donated our car (2008 BMW 3 series) and received a Vacation Breakaway hotel voucher. We had no issues using it and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Ocean City, MD. The travel agent was extremely patient and researched some really good options for us. We paid a total of $27.00 in taxes for two nights. Not bad for $110 a night hotel room. I believe the company that did the booking was Vacation Service Center or Travel Service Center. Something like that? I see there are some complaints for a company called World Service Center? Who are they? Did anybody else have no issues or did I get lucky?

andy1554 Apr 10, 2017

I donated two cars each had a problem that could be fixed for about a thousand dollars. Nice late(ish) model cars with no rot or dents. The tires and rims alone were worth well over a thousand dollars. Got a tax voucher for $500.00 each. Total scam.

• Ol
    Olive Moody Mar 29, 2017

Kars4Kids Writes their own 100% All Fake Reviews!!!

What a joke... The $500.00 Tax Voucher is actually only worth $75.00 deduction from your taxes. You need to do the research and read the fine print within the IRS Tax Code or call your accountant and ask them, they will tell you the same thing. Upon further research Kars4Kids only benefits the Jewish kids of the family members of the founders and board of Kars4Kids. Its by New Jersey, something like a Compound/Jewish Community Center, completely off limits for the whole world except the Kars4Kids family members. A total joke when you dig and find out the truth about this greedy fake non profit.
    They make on average $33 Million Dollars per year. They contract all the vehicle pick ups and dirty work through Copart.com and iaai.com
    Only a fool would support this fake bs company. Kars4Kids
    Eliyohu Mintz
    Trustee

• Le
    Lelanie Jun 15, 2016

I scheduled a donation and was scheduled a towing company. The towing company named Atlantic Recycling gave me an ETA of 5-10 minutes. An hour later i called and they said an ETA of an hour. The man named Michael claimed the driver would call me when he was close by and they never called me. I was reassigned another company named Plakos and they never came either. Lies, lies, lies. I'm very mad because they wasted my time.

• Re
    Rena Freedenberg May 05, 2016

Actually, more than 70% of one's donation goes straight to the kids at Kars4Kids. And I find it interesting that people are so upset about helping Jewish children. What? Jews don't deserve help like everyone else? What is wrong with programs that help Jewish children to become better people and to grow up to be good, productive citizens? Are you all saying that you only help Christians? That's not very charitable of you all at all and quite sectarian...

• Mi
    michael diaz May 04, 2016

They take your car, sell it, then use YOUR money to invest in land ventures!!!

jomo11 Jan 11, 2016

I should have checked this scam organization(s) before donating my car to them. My car was in near perfect condition, and I had received bids for $3500.00, yet as I usually do, I decided to give to a legitimate charity.This Karsforkids is not a legitimate charity, in fact, it is NOT charity at all. Why the state governments and particularly the IRS have not shut this scam organization down, it is not clear to me. I have lodged a complaint with New Jersey department of consumer affairs against this place and hoping that they will do something about this rip off joint so other people will not be victimized.

Andre Maynard Nov 03, 2015

Listen and please Read this carefully. I will try to be as curteious and respectful as possible, lets try and respect everyones opinion, i mean really name calling and underminding others because your financially set and dont need the voucher or perhaps took the time to research. Good for you! Maybe others didnt being that k4k commercials are purposely being embedded in our brains, for example if one tends to be bombarded with something one doesnt question anything, maybe they should be more upfront with who gets donations. Not thats its a problem its going to jewish children, but since they can find the meens to have that commercial on every channel nearly all popular radio stations which by the ways seems like alot of money as i seen commerial during big sports events i have to question if the donations are going to where they need to go or is it being used to cast a bigger net you decide thank you!

• Ra
    Ray Garceau Oct 29, 2015

They need to be up front about which kids are going to receive the benefit. They don't or the jingle would be 1800 Kars for Jewish kids.
    I always have a problem with charities that have a higher operating expense than return. Who are you kidding when you help yourselves more than your target. Two types of business you can get into as an entrepreneur for profit and not for profit. Not for profit never says what % actually goes to the recipients.

• Bo
    Bob Kingsley Aug 22, 2015

My 2000 Subaru Outback was worth between $2000 and $2500 on all of used car sale sites. You valued it at $600.00

I consider this a real rip. I could have gotten $1, 200 at a junk yard and then donated the money myself.

Needless to say the hotel vouchers are third rate. Places I would never stay in or even go to.

• Wa
    Wally88 Aug 08, 2015

By donating your car that you don’t need/want any more you giving it up out of your free will, and it’s a kind deed. Expecting couple of $K tax deduction or top notch vacation voucher is more like a business deal. Looking for benefits after donating seems like you didn’t really wanted to donate it at first place and it wasn’t out of your free will or for a good cause, it was because of that cookie hanging on the string. I personally don’t care what happens after donation. I did my part, I donated, and what happens next is out of my control. If I really helped someone good. If I made rich person richer… well, he or she won’t be able to take it with them. After all I had a good intention, I did my part and I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. Let them face the consequences. It’s like giving cash to homeless person. You never know what he/she will use it for. But that is not your problem. You gave another person something because you wanted to, what happens next it’s up to them.

• Fe
    fed up with this jingle Jul 08, 2015

The following are some of the aliases that Kars4Kids / Oorah / JOY / Eli Mintz operate under:

givejoy.org
    scrapcar.org
    donateautos.com
    donatecar.TV
    carsforkids.com

Don't be fooled by the expensive jingle on the radio: Kars4Kids has been under investigation by attorney generals in many states and is still reportedly being examined by New Jersey, New York and New Mexico. DO YOUR HOMEWORK - see if anyone has actually received a "free" vacation or where the money really goes. Bernie Madoff was trusted, too... until the authorities finally shut him down.

• 3o
    3over 4 Jul 07, 2015

[email protected] Don't donate for a right off, its not a lot of money. You are better off at a junk yard (4-5 HUNDRED IN MEDAL WEIGHT) at best you can give to a kids hospital, not a bad idea.

• Kw
    Kwissy819 Jun 30, 2015

I had scheduled a donation pick up with cars for kids until I found this...when I called back the tow company that was picking up the car and canceled he said "no problem". I told him I researched and found it was a scam. A friend of my moms donated a perfectly good running car and received only a $50 tax credit voucher!!! really?...Five minutes after I canceled the tow company, Cars for Kids calling me wanting to know why I canceled the donation. When I told the guy I did research and found out that it was a scam and that a friend of the family was ripped off with a $50 tax credit voucher that took him dozens of phone calls and months to get...the guys reply was (while he laughed) "FAIR ENOUGH ...HAVE A GOOD DAY" and he hung up on me. Really? the guy laughed as he said fair enough. That alone told me the whole thing was a scam!!!

• Ka
    karl k Apr 03, 2015

Since Kars 4 Kids is under investigation by attorneys general in a number of states, I made a complaint to the Illinois A.G. but they ignored the complaint. I wonder if Kars 4 Kids makes campaign contributions or worse.

• Ji
    Jillpm Mar 30, 2015

I donated my car to them and was promised a vacation. WHAT A SCAM!!! They give you the run around and make you send them a $50 check to reserve a "FREE" vacation. No it's really just to get you to give them money on top of car. First of all it's a time share vacation where you will be obligated to listen to them for at least 4 hours to try to sell you a time share. Your supposed to choose a city and they will tell you in a month if you are accepted to go. They won't even tell you the exact location. There for you can pick Ocean City, but who knows if it's even in walking distance to the beach or even if it has a pool. Every time the commercial comes on it makes me sick and I have to change the station. If you want to donate a car do not give it to these scam artists. First read about who they really are on wikipedia, then scrap the car and donate your money to a real charity. KARS FOR KIDS IS A SCAM!!! HAVE YOU EVER KNOWN ANYONE THEY HAVE HELPED???? NO YOU HAVE NOT.

• Un
    unwhiner Feb 05, 2015

I donated my cars to Kars4kids twice, both were pretty efficient and satisfactory. I even went to one voucher vacation, the hotel isnt the top class, not even like Marriott or Hilton that I usually go to, but it is ok. specially I donate car for charity, not for the vacation. therefore If I feel like to use the vacation, i go enjoy it, otherwise, just let it sit there and do nothing.

• En
    end deception Jan 05, 2015

There is no doubt that this charity (and many others) use specific key word to solicit donations. If they represented themselves accurately as "Kars4 Jewish Kids" I doubt they would have the level of donations they currently receive. Not because people are anti Semitic but they woould choose to give to a faith based organization of which they are a member. To be fair, I believe it was Forbes that ran a list of worst charities. Key words that repeeated were "cancer", "pediatric", "police" and "firemen". All intended tio play on your own good feelings towards helping these groups. I've got one more. "Heritage for the Blind". What could possibly be wrong with a charity that helps blind people? I looked in to it because I noticed tthe same cute kid featured on one of the mailers for Kars 4 Kids was also on The mailer for Heritage for the Blind. Do your own research but I do not consider that to be a coincidence

the mailer for Heritage for the Blind.

charity evaluator Dec 30, 2014

Car Donation Foundation (CDF) www.wheelsforwishes.org, is a 501-C-3 non profit based in MN. As a third party, the organization primarily administers a car donation program for Make a Wish www.wish.org a 501-C-3 charity and / or MAW Affiliates. According to CDF's 2012 IRS 990, the organization raised $25 million from the sale of car donations and Make a Wish received 4.7 million of those revenues. As disturbing as this appears, an in depth look into CDF reveals some interesting details. The President of CDF Bill Bigely and VP of CDF Randy Heiligman also apparently are owners/directors of the for-profit commercial fundraising company National Fundraising Management, Inc.(NFM) which administers CDF's (www.wheelsforwishes) car donation program. Interestingly, although NFM is a Nevada Corp, NFM and CDF share the same address in MN. NFM received $4 million in payment for its services FY 2012. Additionally, Bill Bigely owns Metro Metals Corp (a for profit vehicle salvage company), which apparently received $1.4 million from CDF for admin & commissions. William Bigley is also a principal in Metro Auto Auctions in St. Paul although we can't discern from the 990 if CDF conducts business with that auction. Bill Bigely received $265, 261 from CDF FY 2012. Randy Heiligman received $266, 599 and Randy's wife Roberta, secretary for CDF received $117, 169. Although these salaries seem reasonable, it appears that Bigely and Heiligman seem to have a number of conflict of interest issues. Car Donors to Make a Wish (through www.wheelsforwishes.org ) should be made aware that less than 20% of their donation actually goes to the Make a Wish charity. Make a Wish has knowingly prostituted its 501-c-3 status and is not an innocent entity in this scandal.

IRS 990’s can be found at www.guidestar.org
    > http://www.sos.wa.gov/charities/search_detail_cfr.aspx?cfr_id=32223
    > http://metrometalsrecycling.com/
    > http://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2bri5y/national-fundraising-management-inc

• Ab
    Abkl Dec 18, 2014

I would also like to add that it doesn't matter what car you donate to them, even if you donated a brand new car to them you would still get a tax receipt stating that they sold your car for $500 Lies Lies Lies, i don't believe a word they say!!! Beware!!

• Ab
    Abkl Dec 18, 2014

In response to rosalee222 I don't thik anyone is donating for personal gain. When someone comes to "Kars4Kids" they have already made the decision to donate. however it's not until they reach the website the they are told that they will be giving this travel voucher. It's as if "Kars4Kids" feel the need to sweeten the deal with this worthless voucher. Also Most people that donate would like to know where their donation is going. People that donate to Animal charities would like to know what shelters or rescue missions their money or property will be going to. Kars4Kids is a Jewish Charitable Organization that primarily uses the money they receive for causes related to Jewish children. Now there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, accept the fact that they keep that a secret. Basically the success of their organization is dependent upon the success of their deception. There are many people of many religions out there that would much prefer to donate their "Kars" to childrens organizations of their faith, or to charitable organizations that are unbias in their support of all children. This charity is a farce, and should be avoided at all cost. Do you honestly think any Palestinian children will receive benefits of your donations? Do you thing Poor Minorities from the inner cities, or Disadvantaged white children in the heart of the "Bible Belt" in this country will receive anything? If you believe so your as big a fool as "Kars4Kids" think you are.

• Tr
    TrustingAmerican Nov 25, 2014

My Trailblazer had many 10 of thousands of miles left to go but was only worth $500? So much for the value! People should post how much the receipt says and if they think it's a fair value on this site. Friend of mine donated to Vehicles for Change and did much better with less disappointment. I've seen a lot of posts in the defense of K4K, from K4K... wish I found this site before I donated to K4K.

• Kb
    Kbot Sep 27, 2014

OP: I'm curious if you've checked your credit card and bank account to see if they've charged you anything surreptitiously?

This should be a dead give away.

They say the donation is tax deductible but you get something in return. Tax deductible donations require than NO GOODS OR SERVICES be given as compensation in response.

If you get something in return for a donation (other than things that are of little to no value, like a sticker or letter of thanks, etc.) then there's probably something amiss. Getting a free hotel stay is DEFINITELY a give away to something sketchy.

jaelynn Sep 27, 2014

kars 4 kids looks like a scam they should help
    homeless parents, single mothers struggling like me, people in shelters that would really help parents in the winter or in general who needs help I think they should also let people apply

• Ob
    Oberon123 Apr 05, 2014

Kars 4 Kids has also had to pay fines to at least two states who found that hiding their religious affiliation was not in the best interests of people donating.

• Ob
    Oberon123 Apr 05, 2014

I really can't stand the jingle that these folks use to rope you in. I also can't stand how they hide their religious affiliation. I've read that part of the money goes to send kids to Israel. A vacation? I'd rather see my charity dollars go to feeding hungry children, not sending already privileged children on an international vacation.

• Da
    Dan Harms Dec 06, 2013

Kars4Kids has not given me a charitable receipt nor vacation voucher after donating a 2004 vehicle in May 2013. They are completely disorganized with zero follow up. If they are a volunteer organization then shame on them and if they are employees they are embarrassing. I would avoid this organization at all costs.

Jay Maken Oct 28, 2013

They only help Jewish children and nobody else. They should state this. I was going to donate my car to them and started to investigate this charity but found out that the company has so many complaints against them. And as someone stated at the bottom of their website it specifically says:

Your donation will benefit Kars4Kids, a d/b/a of Joy for Our Youth. JOY is a 501(c )(3), a national organization dedicated to addressing the educational, material, emotional and spiritual needs of Jewish children and their families.

Also the vacation voucher will be deducted from your tax deduction. They won't give you that little tad of info. They should at least
    mention that their charity is only helping Jewish families--I think they are pulling the old bait and switch tactic.

Please beware of this charity!!!

• Er
    Eric67ct Oct 23, 2013

I just donated my 1993 Nissan Maxima SE with 300K miles on it to Kars4Kids. Very nice organization. They picked up the car the next day and I received my tax receipt within a week. I didn't like the hotel voucher or the conditions that go with it. Otherwise, I am happy I got rid of the car and hopefully put it to a good cause. I have been referred to Kars4Kids from another friend that donates numerous vehicles to them.

• Mi
    Mike3 Sep 20, 2013

I haven't donated to them and am really impartial to this debate. However, since I am looking to donate my car i'm trying to do my research and I have discovered that Kars4kids have been investigated by the Attorney General in both NY and NJ. I have used, and recommend using the site charity navigator and for what it's worth, here is the report on this charity: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11555

• Do
    Donate yourself Sep 18, 2013

If Kars were really 4 kids they would donate the cars to people who needed them with kids. If you're going to donate your car than put an ad in craigslist, or pennysaver and do an essay contest to see the need people have.

• Fl
    flavia123 Aug 03, 2013

I went through all the car donation process with CARS4KIDS and I would say it is half of spam, and I say 'half ' because I did receive the two nights voucher for an hotel, BUT you have to go through a long hassle until you get it, the scam part is that they actually give you an appointment for TIMESHARE that is mandatory to get those vouchers, the hotel assigned is horrible, and even though you have to waist your time listening a TIMESHARE seller but CARS4KIDS wont tell you that until you give them a check for 50 dollars to 'book' the hotel and then they return that money to you (that is true, they gave it me back). I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO DONATE YOUR CAR TO CARS4KIDS, even if they offer you those vouchers next time I prefer to sell it to the salvage car.

• Ju
    Jumping Jack Flash Jun 12, 2013

Kars for Kids = Scam for adults! What a crock, on top of all the other deceptive practices, they "claim" to give you a vacation voucher which turns out to be a trip to a "time sharing" presentation and actually CHARGE $10 to sit through it on top of the $50 deposit required to be sent in before this ridiculous scam can start. Then when calling the company appointed to handle the "so-called" vacation voucher, the call seldom goes through, get put on hold and then the call is dropped or a ridiculous voicemail message. When you finally do get through, all they care about is your financial stability. I booked a date and they confirmed but then asked "what is your annual income?" I decided to tell them a very low figure 25-30k (even though I make 3x's that) immediately the rep said, "Oh wait, I am not sure that date is available" and said she would have to call back. I knew that was the end of that. Of course no one ever called and I have been able to reach no one either when calling.
    SHAME ON KARS FOR KIDS FOR USING OUR CHILDREN AS HEART STRINGS TO MISAPPROPRIATE DONATIONS W/ PHONY PROMISED VACATION VOUCHERS!!!

• Re
    Research Gal Oct 27, 2012

Charity Navigator has become aware of the following information in connection with this charity:
    The NY Attorney General announced an industry-wide investigation into car donation charities after a review found fraudulent practices that deceived donors and diverted funds from those in need.
    J.O.Y. for our Youth, Inc. d/b/a Kars 4 Kids was among the charities that received a subpoena from the NY Attorney General. The subpoena seeks materials relating to the revenues that it collected through its car donation program and how that revenue was used by the charity. The subpoena also seeks evidence to support the representations made in solicitations to potential vehicle donors. For more information, see the Attorney General’s website.
    On April 15, 2012, The Wall Street Journal reported that Oorah, a charity associated with J.O.Y. for our Youth Inc d/b/a Kars 4 Kids, applied to be exempted from real-estate taxes on the grounds it is a charity.

• Jb
    JBL2012 Jul 16, 2012

Kars 4 Kids took my car and only provided me $500 dollar receipt which I received 2 months later, the car was perfect in running condition instead of giving it to someone who needed it I thought I would donate it; when I realized how little I got and that this vacation offer had all these hidden fees, not to mention the poor customer service and lack of professionalism I regret giving my car to this charity. I wasn't looking for KBB value but you took a great car and tossed it in the garbage, the money goes on your ad campaign and totally negates the purpose of donating. Neither me or my friends will ever donate to this charity ever again.