Kaplan Universityscam charges!

As a Single Mother with a BS in Chemistry, I enrolled a few years ago to complete a Forensics Criminal Justice program to fulfill prerequisites needed for my application acceptance to UCLA. My FAFSA awarded ALL fees and paid every semester as described in my Award letters. Upon my withdrawal to pursue a classroom environment, I received in lieu of my 3.8 transcript request/report, a BILL for est. 1600.00 +. Their billing department deleted all of my online access to my account at Kaplan and would never provide any description of their invoice, all the while, holding my transcripts 'hostage' for my University need.

I confirmed with FAFSA the THOUSANDS of dollars paid to Kaplan; which were more than I had ever known were sent; as was not the full cost described to me. FAFSA confirmed they had indeed paid in full. Kaplan never agreed nor disagreed, sending 'final bill' to me nothing short of extortion and non-disclosure. And I realized, they paid more than was required by FAFSA in a FAFSA accounting history obtained! I HAD to set up a payment plan with Kaplan to obtain my transcripts, with a minimum deposit of 500.00 to initiate the plan and a 100.00+ servicing fee and interest of course.

In a year's time, I corresponded endlessly to correct their accounting. I paid the 'extorted' funds once I left their program for University after maintaining a Dean's list status at all times and became their first Criminologist's Teacher's Assistant (unpaid performance). They threatened my credit and transcripts to a point where I caved in for my need to raise children, work and attend for my Masters. Kaplan further takes advantage of persons less aware of the higher educational process and I am aware of at least 3 persons who should not have been granted entrance into higher learning while signing financial commitments that they in fact, failed out of and paid and paid and paid, anyway; leaving with debt and their hopes for better living via education very, marred to say the least. Shame on Kaplan Financial Department and their entrance process which in essence, makes a sale and finds a way to collect further for monies not owed to them.

Live and learn. Be VERY cautious of going to Kaplan and signing away large financial obligations as well. They are VERY skilled and manipulating students and sadly, the FAFSA and other financial aid programs. Kaplan OWES me for quite some time now. Anyone with the time to fight them, I urge them to do so in hope they will eventually be exposed and be made to refund countless unknown funds to the government and students they manipulated and manipulate currently.

• Be
    Beth Fitz Feb 16, 2008

I just signed up at Kaplan this past Monday. I went over my financial aid benefits with an advisor over the phone & electronically signed my award letter that stated I would receive $2156.00 in pell grants, that I was to pay a $95.00 deposit (which I did), & that Stafford loans I took out through Chase would cover all but the last $149.04 of my tuition for the first three terms.

I saved screen prints of the figures I was given & it's a good thing I did because this morning when I checked my email I had a letter from Kaplan's financial aid office stating that I never signed my award letter, so they would be "going ahead with the figures on a new letter". (Wasn't aware they could do this without my consent), so I logged back in & noticed they had changed my figures so I would be paying them hundreds of dollars more than my tuition even was.

I immediately called Chase & told them what happened, so they cancelled disbursement to Kaplan & I also contacted FAFSA who told me to delete Kaplan's school code from my application so they cannot receive my pell grants.

I sent Kaplan a scathing letter telling them that they better disenroll me without any problems or I'll be contacting a lawyer. Oh, & I am also filing a complaint with BBB. DON'T GO HERE & IF YOU DO, SAVE EVERYTHING & MAKE SCREEN PRINTS OF ALL FACTS & FIGURES THEY GIVE YOU!!!!!!

• St
    Stasia Fawks Jan 16, 2017

@Beth Fitz [email protected] 951 425-1934 Facebook.com/lets sue Kaplan u contact me I have a lawyer

• Pe
    Penny Vincent Mar 13, 2008

I am a current student at Kaplan, just finishing up my 4th term. I have had the same problem of the financial office changing the payments I owe, and saying FASFA isn't paying what I was entitled to when I first started. They have replace my master promissory letter every term, saying that since I did not respond they were going ahead with the new letter. I could never even get the letter opened, nor get through to a financial aid officer to find out what the new deal was or why it was changed. I have asked for itemized statements, and have not received them. I have been trying to get an academic advisor, and a financial aid officer to talk to me for the past 2 weeks, with no luck, They refuse to answer my calls, and have not responded to me e-mails, plus have kept me on hold for over a half hour at a time when I call and manage to get a live person. Several of my classmates are having the same problems. They constantly change who my academic advisor and financial aid officer is also.

I am now is the position that I can't afford to just quit, but can't afford to continue either. Any suggestions as to what to do? Is there any reliable online college to get a degree from? I have maintained a 4.0 GPA and have been on the President's list for my first 3 terms, and assume I will be for this term also, since I have maintained a 4.0 GPA this term too. I live in a very rural area which makes attending on-campus classes difficult.

In addition, I have noticed that most of my classmates are people who probably will not be able to pay back the loans, or be able to get a decent job upon completion of thier degree program. Most of them seem to have an elementary school level of education, or severe health problems, and are in their late 40s to 60s.

jamie Tucker Mar 13, 2008

I am in the same situation. I have four children. I think Kaplan University's account department is a fraud. My account does not add up. I am going to be in debt up to my ears.

• Pe
    peagin Mar 22, 2008

Penny Vincent,

I have attended Kaplan since August 2004 and currently have two weeks left (graduation April 2008). I would suggest contacting the Dean, my dean is Rebecca Hermen. You should be able to find an e-mail address in your classroom under contact information on the far left hand side.

I sent Rebecca an e-mail a little over a week ago however have not received a response. It seems you are early in your education career in which you should be able to get this under control now.

A few suggestions, know how much your cost per credit hour is; currently sitting at $320. Realize every June/July the amount will increase. Keep a spreadsheet of the amount per credit hour, how much you pay out in loans/Pell grants and how much you pay out of pocket. Also, keep track of which class you take and what term. You will be able to determine if the amounts that are being dispersed is being allocated correctly to your account.

Also, on your home portal, check your account regularly under financial service/my account to determine if any amounts are misapplied or missing. I have enjoyed my Kaplan experience. The instructors are wonderful and the interactions between others in my classes have been an experience I will never forget. I just wish the financial aid and student accounts department could get their act together.

I hope this helps.

• Me
    Melinda Apr 04, 2008

I have been going through some problems with Kaplan also. I left my online attendance (following procedures) to provide aid following Katrina/Rita in New Orleans. This went well and I had no problems with them for this term. I was unable to return on the scheduled date and did all I could to contact my advisor, who did not return my calls, and send emails... even as far as to contact my perspective instructors to see if they could do something. I provided additional requests for withdrawal as best I could given that I had limited access to any computers or even phone lines for that matter. Now I am stuck with Pinnacle Financial and a huge bill for alleged late withdrawal from courses. While attending, I was on the presidents list for each term and never failed to pay for my classes... but now they refuse me access and will not send me an itemized bill or explanation of the debt. When I spoke to the finance department for Kaplan when I first received the bill he was rude and would not discuss it... I requested a statement and was denied.. Does anyone know any other contact info or addresses to send complaints to Kaplan and so on?

Thanks. Mel

• As
    ashley Apr 14, 2008

In December 2007 I called Kaplan after attending since August 2007 that because of my difficult pregnancy I was put on bed rest and couldn't get online to my account. I was assured everything would be fine hat I would just start again next semester no problem. I call Kaplan about 2 weeks after I had my baby and told them I was trying to log on and I cant they told me I didn’t log on for 30 days and I was dropped. I was then told I had a balance of 379. 00. My tuition was paid for in full and I was getting sent an extra 300.00 every 3 months called Stiffen. So when I asked how to resolve this they told me re-apply to school and we will take the balance from the new money that will come in for your tuition for this semester. It made sense to me. Unfortunately with two babies and bills I couldn’t even come up with the 25.00 on time but when I had the money I called. Today I spoke to a women called Corrette Flemming who was very rude and transferred me over to some the Financial dept called Katrina Dudley she told me there nothing I can do till suddenly she says well if you reapply you will be taking care of and she tells me my balance is 86.00. I was totally confused all of a sudden a part of my due was paid.. So she transfers me back over to Ms.Flemmings telling me there should be no issue. I’m was speaking to Ms.Flemming and she called me a liar telling me its wasn’t true you cant do that I tell her to contact Mrs. Dudley she tells me its not her job she’s speak to who she needs to and puts me on hold and tells me when she gets back someone will contact me and before I could tell her I have a new number she hangs up on me. I am confused and irate I wrote to yahoo hoping they can get me my delete emails because I have an email from someone there saying to just pay the 25. 00 "upon agreement". I am not the first person to complain about this problem with mysterious balances with no resolution if you go to [redacted].com there are numerous complaints.

• Rd
    RD Apr 29, 2008

Kaplan is garbage. The online learning format is very convenient as far as doing things at your leisure but that is all it is good for. When it comes to some of these numbskull instructors that are employed at Kaplan you are doomed anytime you may have a question. The assignments given are extremely vague and when you do not complete them as the instructor would like they take a huge portion of the grade. This is done although there is no explanation within the course materials describing exactly what or how the assignment should be completed. I have been at this trashball of a school for a year now and just about every course I have taken is being thought by a pure idiot. If you have not done online learning before, please understand that when you need to ask a question and things are not clear, you are going to have a tough time trying to get an answer. And even if you do get an answer it will still more than likely be so vague it does not help at all. You never talk to any actual people and everything is viewed as text. I advise you to exercise caution when deciding to attend Kaplan. Hopefully all online schools are not this way.

Angela Jun 18, 2008

Kaplan makes great promises regarding easy access to advisors, financial aid and Professors. They are so unorganized, unprofessional and always have the same excuse that they have new employees. DO NOT waste your time or money at this school. You will be highly disapointed!!

Kaplan Student Sep 16, 2008

If your looking for help in solving your issues with Kaplan university, Come vent on our student forums for free.

www.kaplanforums.com

Come join us even if your experience was not satisfactory. We can help.

• De
    Deanna Oct 03, 2008

I wish I had come across this sooner but now I am at a loss with them also. They are trained very well to cover their tracks in over charging and mishandling funds.

• La
    Larry Boze Oct 03, 2008

I agree with all of the above complaints. I have dealt with a lot of Universities in the past 20+ years and have never encountered such poor customer service. I also, withdrew after taking a masters level class in criminal justice due to a limitation by my agency on re-imbursement for college. Upon my withdrawl, after completing the first class in my masters, the University immediatley disabled my access to my transcripts. My agency will not re-imburse college fees without a grade report.

I had to call Kaplan University student accounts on several occassions to obtain my grades so that payment could be made by my agency. When I did receive a bill it was in the amount of $1, 542.86. This is what my agency paid to the University, problem solved. Not so fast.

Approximately two (2) weeks after paying the bill I received another statement advising that I still owed the University another $200.00. I explained my situation to the student accounts representative and she advised to send her a copy of the bill that was sent to my agency. I immediately sent the bill to her thinking that she would review the information and formulate a plan to rectify the situation. No, I was contacted by another person the very next day asking for their $200.00. I attempted to explain to this person that the situation was in the process of being resolved and this person became rude on the phone. I was again contacted the next business day by yet another student account representative who was no more pleasant than the other ones that had called prior to their calls.

I called the Student Account manager who, after talking with her, made it clear to me why all of the other callers had a rude and demeaning tone when talking with clients.

In short, I would recommend that anyone thinking of enrolling in this University do their research prior to taking a chance on having problems with their billing department. At least, if you do enroll, keep copies of everything you are sent via e-mail or U.S postal service.

• Ri
    richard finley Oct 08, 2008

i was enrolled i thought i gave my debit card no for the 95.00 dollar for the enrollment some one took my card and rolled up 600.dollars concert tickets do not give your debit card no i trusted them

Angela Oct 28, 2008

This school is completely worthless! The Financial Aid Advisors are never available and never clearly explain anything. They just rip people off and and the chat room classes are a joke considering the online technology that is available now a days. Century 21, a Real Estate company, has better online classes than they do. At $326/unit they should be much more reputable than they are.
    DON'T GO THERE, THEY ARE SCAMMERS

• Al
    Almirati Nov 13, 2008

I couldn't agree more with this assessment. I was attending from 2003 until October 2006. I quit for personal reasons, and had no word that I owed further money. I went through over 5 academic advisors while I was at Kaplan and never did get to take a computer test to test out of a class that I did pay for before quitting. I took a class to satisfy an elective that was already met because of their ineptitude and bungling of my account from its being transferred multiple times throughout my time there.

I got a bill in 2007 claiming I owed $2, 100 from Pinnacle Financial. I was curious to find out what this was about and contacted the school directly by email (3x) and through numerous phone voice mail messages and NOT ONCE did I get a response to my request for an itemized bill showing how I could possibly owe $2, 100. That's not the cost of a class. It's not the cost of two classes. What even IS $2, 100 anyway? It doesn't make sense.

Pinnacle Financial tried to claim that I owed partial and that's a lie too. I did not quit in the middle of a term. I quit before it started. In fact, the witch there finally sent me some sort of an itemization and throughout the bill it'd show where I owed money at the end of a term and where I didn't. By the end, I didn't owe anything. The bill even said: owe $0 due $0. I was free and clear. But at the bottom of the sheet it still said: owe $2, 100. WTH?

In fact, I took out the maximum loans for a FAFSA year. I had a $5, 000 tuition reimbursement program through work AND I additionally had to pay a couple hundred per quarter. How in the world did I owe $2, 100? It's insane.

Additionally, before I left they got to me to take out a "private education loan". NOT ONCE was I notified during that phone call where that ever-so-helpful agent of Kaplan University walked me through the loan process that the interest rate was determined by one's credit score, not the usual capped rates that the government applies. My interest rate on a $955 loan was 17%! Yes, you got that one right: 17%. I now owe over $1, 000 and I was paying on the interest.

Kaplan University is full of crooks and fraudulent claims. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL!!!

• Un
    unknown Dec 01, 2008

wow thanks so much for all these comments, I was thinking of enrolling and calling right now for information but by reading this I WILL NEVER ATTEND THIS COLLEGE!!!

Thanks guys for saving me time and money!!!

Mariah

angelbear Dec 15, 2008

I have also been scammed by Kaplan University. I attended online there & when I finished & wanted to get my degree is when I was told that I owed them over $700.00. I did get balance sheet of all charges & payments but still couldn't see where I owed the $700.00 from. Then when it was about time to get my payments deferred someone from Kaplan University contacted me in order to fill out the paperwork for a deferrement. The person told me that it would include all monies owed, including my gov loans & student loans. So when I kept getting bills for my student loan I just threw them in the trash, but low & behold I find out after it went to a collection agency that it wasn't included in the deferrement. Then I have a re-entry advisor contact me about furthering my education & I tell them I am interested in re-enrolling & once again they tell me that I owed over $700.00. I told him that I wanted to dispute this money & sent in all the paperwork & he told me I should hear something in a couple of weeks. Well that couple of weeks has turned into months & I have heard NOTHING!!! My oldest daughter who started with Kaplan before I did was also told that she owed them money when she tried to transfer to a different school.

angelbear Dec 15, 2008

www.kaplanforums.com doesn't work...so how can we get help if it isn't doesn't work!

• Dr
    dre Jan 30, 2009

I am currently a Kaplan Student. I have 1 1/2 yrs left before I got my bachelors. I am sorry you have all had such a bad experience. I have been to on ground colleges, technical colleges, military colleges and now all online. I love it. it is easier to talk to people than on ground colleges. The financial part is very clear. It is $320 PER CREDIT>>>> not per class. Most classes are 5 credits, so that would be $320 x 5. They tell you this before you sign up. There is no scamming going on. They aren't trying to purposely rib anyone off. It is like anything in life. YOU HAVE TO TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY before you sign the dotted line. DO YOUR RESEARCH> These bad comments are going to turn away good people from a good education because of your lack of responsibility to do the research about what you were signing up for. Reading all these comments makes me cringe, because it is not true. The degree is used anywhere. Just like University of phoenix, devry, ITT tech, ect... The instructors I've had are really good! My classmates are diverse from all over and it is great to meet people and hear about all their experiences. No one is incompetent, or elementary. This college is accredited the same as any other college. Same people that do the testing and pass the accreditation on all schools, do it for Kaplan. College in general is expensive. At least at Kaplan, text books ARE included in the fees. They even deliver it to your front door! All in all, it's a good school. They are not trying to rip anyone off and they are doing a great job with the college.

• Pr
    PrettyinPink Mar 07, 2009

I am a former student of Kaplan University and had the same issue with the finical aid. When I enrolled they advised me that I was eligible for the Pell Grant and that I got it, but this was ### because they never sent in my paperwork. Also the student loans I applied/approved for were canceled by Kaplan. Since when can they do that. So needless to say I now owe them $1800 +. I told them they can take the money I owe and stick it where the sun does not shine.

Anyone that posts here and says its our fault...must be a Kaplan employee. My husband and I sit down every month and review our bills carefully.

The last time I checked...Kaplan had a class action lawsuit against them.

• Na
    naynay3000 Mar 12, 2009

I am sorry that everyone has had so many problems. I have been attending Kaplan for 4 years. I am getting ready to graduate with my bachelors in paralegal studies. I can say that the classes were tough, my professors were great and my advisers were helpful. The only thing I am regretting is the loads of student loans I will have to pay. But like my mom always told me "you can't put a price on a good education" and I really learned a lot.

• Co
    confused Mar 13, 2009

It seems to me from reading these complaints and testimonials, that the ones that genuinely agree that Kaplan has scammed them and do not reccomend anyone to attend are all graduates from Kaplan. They further have been lied to with the costs of attending and so on. The ones who uphold and defend this university are supposedly current students. Which in my reasoning tells me one of two things, if they really are students, then when they finish their degree they need to be ready to recieve additional bills from Kaplan like the others and see if they still agree with what they wrote here. The other possibility is that they are employees of Kaplan like someone else stated. As for me, I asked for info about Kaplan, sat on a cell phone for three hours, wasting my minutes, being told that I could just see about grants and if I didn't qualify I didn't have to proceed. I did this process, the financial aid advisor said I have to take loans for most of it. I told her that I needed to think about it to call me back. she said that she couldn't call me back that I needed to finish my paperwork and accept the loan, but I could after that take my time and think about it at no obligation. I told her I needed to speak with my spouse about this because it costs about 60, 000 for me to get this degree that is supposed to be accredited and all I need to get a great job. She then says, " I am sure your souse wants you to get a good education, so you don't need to speak with them about this, and do you really expect the government to pay for all of your education? You need to take responsibility some time and your life and pay your own way." I don't know where this came from, because I do pay my own way, and I did not expect the government to pay for my whole education. I asked her if the tuition was rather high compared to a traditional college. she said that I get my books online with the cost, and get to study online without going to a traditional brick and morter school. That didn't answer my question, well actually it probably did, the answer is most likely, yes it does cost a whole lot more, but I let her pressure me into trusting her and filling out the forms, then she says we're done, now you can pick out your classes. I told her at that point that she assured me that I was just filling out info and was not enrolling so I could think about it and reseach the info with my spouse. She then told me that I could do that but I was enrolled. I felt like it was a sales tactic and they had me hook, line and sinker. My advisor told me that I can withdraw and I won't be charged and my loans won't go through. I slept on it and decided today that I would attend, hey it's a great opportunity and I don't have to pay until I graduate and I would have a bachelors in two years that I can get a great job, right??? Well, today my advisor transferred me over to another advisor that would set my first two classes up..fine. she gets on the line and tellls me, " now you do know that we are accredited but not cade accredited so lets pick your classes." HUH? After all this, the previous advisor going on for hours about how they are accredited and I would have to perform 900 hours to recieve my degree and it was a great education, she tells me that is not true. I can get my degree, however they are not certified with CADE which is apparently what I would want to pursue a great career. what do I do now? After reading these complaints, can I abbort this proces and nothing happens, or do they take the loans out and they take them, making me have to pay for a education I didn't recieve? Or just attend knowing that when I graduate I may not get a job where I want and a useless education and a 60, 000 loan to pay back? Help!!!

kaplan sucks Mar 25, 2009

my name is Crista Montoya... and I use to be a classmate at kaplan university. and one dat I receive a call from the collections department at kaplan stating I oew them 1524.00.. this was not part of the arrangment that me and the fincial aid advisor agreed on. I was advised I wouldnt pay a dime until I graduated.. and come to find out they NEVER CASHED MY SCHOLARSHIP of 1500.00. a sup at kaplan advised this was a kaplan error because the women who set up my fincial aid messed up. so now I am getting collection calls. they are very rude and disrespectful people. and now my fincial aid representive and her supervisor are avoiding my calls. so I placed a complaint with the BBB.

• Js
    jsco Apr 23, 2009

I graduated from Kaplan University with a BSCJ Forensic Psychology concentration, but aside from the course materials and generally outstanding teachers the experience was horrible. Kaplan University’s financial aid is truly a scam. The games they play are unbelievable. You can fight and fight on the telephone, yet Kaplan continues to take more money than they deserve and claim to never have received disbursements that are immediately available. I came out of pocket thousands of dollars more than my co-pay, because Kaplan university financial aid reportedly did not apply for the proper disbursements, which left me on the hook for requesting new loans to cover the balance, or come straight out of pocket.

Prior to my last term, I contacted the financial aid department to confirm my total co-pays for the final term so that I would receive my diploma as soon as I graduated. Well, I paid my co pays and next thing you know the term is over and I have a 1300 dollar balance. It took 4 weeks and approximately 50 hours on the phone and emailing financial aid, citi bank, and the dean of the school of criminal justice (who in turn supposedly contacted the head of financial aid). Needless to say, they screwed up the loan disbursements and took forever to correct their mistakes, despite the fact that Citi bank said the correction process should have taken no more than 24 hours and someone's real attention, as opposed to shining me on over the phone.

I finally received my diploma, and I owe Kaplan University no money. On the other hand I owe citi bank almost 10, 000 more than I should. Kaplan had different tuition rates and veterans are supposed to get a reduced rate. That’s what I signed up for. Well I now realize that I owe the regular tuition rate, because of the fraudulent practices of this unethical institution. Finally, due to personal issues, I was forced to file a bankruptcy almost 4 months after I graduated. GUESS WHAT? The Kaplan jackals are still on the prowl. They refuse to stop calling so that I can send them "paperwork" ...as if they have a claim to some monies I must pay in my CH 13 settlement.

I tell you, Kaplan is a scam. The quality of education was great, yet their business practices and schemes are absolutely not worth it. SPARE YOURSELF THE AGONY AND SOME MONEY. Try a school without these types of complaints...they exist just keep surfing and you will find the right one for you. I wish I had.

• Ad
    Admin May 07, 2009

I will put a URL on our page back to this one...

A little brief description of what this fourm is.. We are not employed through Kaplan University. I put this form together for students and individuals seeking knowledge about the online University of Kaplan.. my fiancé graduated as a 4.0 in 2008 with her paralegal law degree...

Be part of the community... It's free and easy to join..
    We are seeking moderators and also feedback on how to improve this message board.. Feel free to post any ideas about making this messageboard more friendlier to users or any great ideas we will take in consideration...

If you would like us to create threads that could be related to the topic of Kaplan please contact us and we'll set the thread name up..
    Also we can make you moderator of that threat!

• Im
    imamazing223 May 15, 2009

naynay3000 is totally right. Kaplan has been the best thing for me. i've been to other schools and ended up needing to leave because the fin aid department was a mess and couldn't or wouldn't help me do what i needed in order to keep my federal aid due to past complications. Kaplan listened to my problem and had a solution before i finished my story. i'm taking night courses now because i work full time and it's been wonderful. the courses are hard and some of the people really should be in "college", and although some of the instructors are brand spankin new the vast majority of them are smart experienced REAL WORLD people who know what they're talking about. i have a feeling that the majority of the complaints on this site are mob mentality kind of stuff...which isn't right...why diss something that is actually really great. your bad experience (if there was one) shouldn't deter someone else from getting the education they need...

KaplanStudent May 23, 2009

www.kaplanforums.com

www.kaplanforum.com

Both links are up and running. They are student forums with java chatrooms, arcades, social groups etc. The server crashed and needed to be replaced.

Try them again. It's free!

KaplanStudent May 23, 2009

I graduated from Kaplan University with a Bachelors in Legal Studies in 2008. I can't complain about any problems that were out of the ordinary because, you experience issues wherever you go. You can't make everyone happy and let's face it we are all human. This is the 2nd University I attended and I think i had a worse experience with the student departments in the tradional campus environment. My student loans went through smooth, the classes were more than challenging, the professors were absolutely awesome and I landed a paralegal position in a large firm a year before I graduated. I have been more than satisfied with my education and experience. In fact my sister just enrolled there and loves it.

• Lu
    luck4u23 Jul 05, 2009

Okay, know lets say you do get that degree from kaplan...what do you do next?, i was enrolled in kaplan, but unenrolled myself, after calling major companies in my area, they told me there was no way in hell they would hire someone with a kaplan or a university of phoenix degree... kaplan has a decent school but its unproven and kaplan has many lawsuites against them, of course they wont tell you this when you are getting enrolled, cause they wouldent have any buisness if they did, the workers at kaplan are very rude, and they will add credits too your classes without telling you, deceptive people like that should be avoided at all cost, kaplan has had its short time of success and will be overshadowed by all the universitys that are respected that ofer online courses, its a wast of time and effort, you will get the degree...but its going too be worthless...ask the employers around your area, they will tell you...your best bet is too get the ### out of kaplan and go too a online university that has a real campus, and make sure its regionaly acredited...or you will pay for it...no job, employers laughing you out of the building, and being the punch lines of employers jokes if you go too any school online pick devry university if you can"t get into a respected one, they have a 90 percent job rate after 6 months...plus employers kinda like them a little bit cause they keep within what employers need...devry is not the best online, but its alot better then the othe national acredited ones...and just so you know national acreditation is not the same as regional acreditdation, but if employers had too choose they would give devry degrees a chance...and they wont laugh you out the door, kaplan is under more watch by the goverment right now then any of the other online schools, and they continue thier shady ways, they enroll people that cant make it through and take thier money, they tap into your grants and still you end up with 500 dollar bills, lets say you got 11000 dollars in grants and loans, remeber then you owe about 4ooo dollars, now thats not too bad, but when they dont come clean with you in what you owe they slam you with a 4000 dollar bill, and lock you out of class, that seems too be the initual shock most fafsa dependent students get hit with, they dont bill them in installment because they are afraid they will unenroll them selfs before the class begins...its crazy...

• Lu
    luck4u23 Jul 05, 2009

This is too dre up top...you cannot use a kaplan degree anywhere, it is worthless, i have had 18 employers tell me this, kaplan, university of phoenix, itt tech...which is the worst of them...employers do kinda like devry though, they seem too have the most repsect...the best onlines are drexel university online, penn state online, and florida tech online, and alot of community schools have online now too...stick with those and you wont get laughed out the building at a interveiw...also like i stated before...devry is some what respectable...employers like them a little...but kaplan...no way..

• Ba
    bad_kitty Jul 14, 2009

I've only taken one class at Kaplan and I've had enough! Not only is their tuition insanely high for the education you recieve, but their administrators are difficult to deal with. I've already informed my advisor via email that I need to withdraw due to personal reasons, but she insists on calling me to 'talk' about the situation... talk meaing twist my arm to not withdrawing. Nowhere in the handbook does it say that I need to actually speak to someone to withdrawal... some sort of documentation should be fine. Recently I just recieved a bill for $91 with no explaination. I've already over paid for this term, why do I have to pay another $91? I'm prepared to take legal action if I have to. Any advice ?

jamesofok Jul 15, 2009

sounds like this school is a sham. go to a community college or tech school and do yourself right.

• Zo
    zookeeper13 Jul 31, 2009

Rasmussen online is wonderful, too.

• Ho
    HonestAbe55 Oct 23, 2009

As a Regional Director and Admissions Advisor at Kaplan, I can tell you that you should look at other schools. We had so many people graduate and not be able to do anything with their degree, it was very disheartening. Not to mention, forget it if you want to go to a reputable grad school. You will never get in, You are better off taking online classes from a real college, like Penn State World Campus or Boston University Online. Those schools don't let you take every test with your book open.

• Je
    JessicaLb Jan 16, 2010

HEY
    Lets get together to slove this thing...

kaplanuniversityrippedmeoff.webs.com

Kaplan university ripped me off. webs . com!!! POst your story!

• Ju
    JulieElena Mar 09, 2010

I went to Kaplan six months ago. I received false promises of which I was gullible enough to believe. One of those false promises was that I did not have to pay anything until I graduate, but somehow I ended up with an outstanding balance of 1500 and they wont let me take classes or release my transcripts. Anytime I tried to delay classes, withdraw, or get any kind of assistance I couldn't get an answer. I ask them where my outstanding balance came from considering I am a full Financial Aid Student and I was told I didn't have to pay anything until I graduate. Anytime I call them I am on hold for hours on end and anybody I talk to can't provide me with any kind of information. Now I want to switch over my degree and enroll into a different school, but I'm not sure if my school will be paid for considering what's going on with Kaplan. If anyone knows how to get through to this school please let me know. I just want to get out of this school and continue my education elsewhere if possible!! I am so clueless as to what to do and I just want to move on with my life and get an education. If anyone knows a trick or two my email address is [email protected] Thank you.

• Br
    brownrb Mar 21, 2010

I also went to Kaplan, but quit after 5 days and only 25 hours of class. I also returned all of the school books and supplies they gave me on day one. I paid one month of tuition of 509.00 because i did not qualify for financial help except for student loans. The loans were cancelled before they were ever paid, thank god for that. Then the next thing i know i get a bill for 3005.00. for what??? they tell me it is for attending school into the second week, but keep in mind the first week was only two days. I attended my final class the following week on Wednesday and walked out of that one because of an incompetent instructor who should have never been there. Any way the catalogs that they give you specifies that during the second or third week or 1/5 of the program whichever is less...8o% of tuition and fees. And it also states that refund computation will be based on scheduled clock hours of class attendance through the last date of attendance. Now mind you the class I was attending had catalog hours listed as 720. So i went only 25 hours, how in the world does that compute to 3005. plus the 509. that i have already paid. The lady in the financial dept. said she would check into and let me know, that was 2 weeks ago and i have not heard anything. If they continue to push this I plan on going to the newspaper watch dog, or the news for help. Has anyone had any luck with them yet on trying to milk more money from you and you not paying.

brownrb

kaplansucks Apr 07, 2010

i am going through the same exact thing at kaplan..there are pages and pages of complaints ... i wish we could all team up and go against them ...there is so many...my financial aid and fasfa was paid up for all semesters for Kaplan ...to be on the safeside i took out an extra five thousand...they have the nerve to block my account and tell me (third semester) that they over paid me in the first semester by 875 dollars..atleast you guys got a payment plan they told me the balance was to be paid in full on april 15th ..Payment start date 4/15 payment end date 4/15.. What a bunch of con artist. Not to mention i cant even get in contact with anyone. you ask for a supervisor they hand you over to there friend. I said how on earth can an educational facility, Accreditted and Fasfa approved get away with a con like this..i mean no one ever tried to call the school and get in contact with anyone..This is way they screen the call, you have to give your social before you can speak to anyone..This is so they know exactly whos calling..its the biggest scam i have ever seen, and im not standing for it..I have been contacting the president everyday..they will pay attention to these online schools..THEY ARE TARGETS FOR WORKING MOMS TRYING TO BETTER THEMSELVES..ITS NOT FAIR TO US OR ANYONE..WHITEHOUSE.GOV...LET HIM KNOW...WHITEHOUSE.GOV, WHITEHOUSE.GOV, WHITEHOUSE.GOV, WHITEHOUSE.GOV..DRILL IT IN YOUR HEAD COPY AND PASTE YOUR LETTER SOMEWHERE AND EVERYTIME YOU THINK ABOUT IT SEND ANOTHER EMAIL..

• Th
    thundarr Apr 14, 2010

I have never gone to school at Kaplan but You should understand about what I learned during the hiring process!!! I have a graduate degree in business which led me to pursue a position as a program chair for their IT program at the W. Des Moines Iowa campus. After a month of interviews and run arounds, and a powerpoint presentation, I received a voice message on my answering machine (by an assistant)telling me they were going in a different direction. How professional is that? I'm not overly concerned I didn't get the position, what I do have a problem with however is the lack of communication with me about the position status, and their overall professionalism. Some of the things they asked me in the interviews was how I would keep students in school because they are losing a high percentage of them in the IT program? I replied that it depended on the situation and the student. They replied that instead of trying to understand the situation, I needed to sell, sell, sell the program to the student and refuse their wishes (I later discovered that program chairs are fired for not meeting student enrollment quotas. Not graduation quotas. If you have 25 in a class, you are in danger of being terminated if more than 3 drop).This struck me as funny but I didn't think of it any further. Now I realize the kind of atmosphere I would have been working in (after doing more research on Kaplan) had I been hired. It seems they are more concerned with bringing in the money, and less about the students well-being. I'm also happy I didn't make the choice of ever going to school there. I'm not sure the degree would mean anything in the long run and I'd probably be deep in debt. I feel extremely sorry for the students that are going to enroll, and the students that are in the middle of the program. I hope anyone thinking of going to school at Kaplan or pursuing employment with them will read this message before they make a decision.

• De
    Debra Batiste May 20, 2010

Kaplan is doing the same thing to me. HELP! I want to finish school!
    Debra

chon1210 Jun 02, 2010

I have been attending Kaplan University since December 2008. I had spoke with both an academic advisor and the financial aid representative at the time of enrollment. The academic advisor went over my degree plan and informed me about the courses I would need to take in order to obtain my bachelors degree program in Accounting. All the courses were outlined in my degree plan which I could view through the website. My financial aid summary was also listed via the website. Now almost 1 ½ yr later, I have received on two different occasions calls from representatives from Kaplan University. The first call I received was from Financial Aid. They informed me that I had a balance owed for the previous term. Which I completely disagreed with because I paid the balance off and according to the financial aid summary via Kaplan login I had zero balance, mind you this was a month and half of zero balance for this term. Well the Financial Aid representative told me tuition increased. This was told after I already took the course. He stated that emails were sent prior, I never received anything. I asked how come my balance has read zero this whole time though? He had no answer. Ultimately I paid it. Secondly, I'm taking what I thought was my last course finishing in 3 weeks. However, I received a call stating that a degree audit was done and I still need 4 credits. I said how is this possible when my degree plan has been outlined now for almost a year and a half, again no answer how it was "overlooked". I feel like I'm honestly being scammed out of more and more money and not receiving any answers in return. I feel like Kaplan University is doing something illegal and feel something should be done. For them to keep just ALL OF SUDDEN pulling up information pertaining to receiving more money is real fishy, especially when I have paid such close attention for almost two years to the exact same information.