Kaplan Universityscam charges!

As a Single Mother with a BS in Chemistry, I enrolled a few years ago to complete a Forensics Criminal Justice program to fulfill prerequisites needed for my application acceptance to UCLA. My FAFSA awarded ALL fees and paid every semester as described in my Award letters. Upon my withdrawal to pursue a classroom environment, I received in lieu of my 3.8 transcript request/report, a BILL for est. 1600.00 +. Their billing department deleted all of my online access to my account at Kaplan and would never provide any description of their invoice, all the while, holding my transcripts 'hostage' for my University need.

I confirmed with FAFSA the THOUSANDS of dollars paid to Kaplan; which were more than I had ever known were sent; as was not the full cost described to me. FAFSA confirmed they had indeed paid in full. Kaplan never agreed nor disagreed, sending 'final bill' to me nothing short of extortion and non-disclosure. And I realized, they paid more than was required by FAFSA in a FAFSA accounting history obtained! I HAD to set up a payment plan with Kaplan to obtain my transcripts, with a minimum deposit of 500.00 to initiate the plan and a 100.00+ servicing fee and interest of course.

In a year's time, I corresponded endlessly to correct their accounting. I paid the 'extorted' funds once I left their program for University after maintaining a Dean's list status at all times and became their first Criminologist's Teacher's Assistant (unpaid performance). They threatened my credit and transcripts to a point where I caved in for my need to raise children, work and attend for my Masters. Kaplan further takes advantage of persons less aware of the higher educational process and I am aware of at least 3 persons who should not have been granted entrance into higher learning while signing financial commitments that they in fact, failed out of and paid and paid and paid, anyway; leaving with debt and their hopes for better living via education very, marred to say the least. Shame on Kaplan Financial Department and their entrance process which in essence, makes a sale and finds a way to collect further for monies not owed to them.

Live and learn. Be VERY cautious of going to Kaplan and signing away large financial obligations as well. They are VERY skilled and manipulating students and sadly, the FAFSA and other financial aid programs. Kaplan OWES me for quite some time now. Anyone with the time to fight them, I urge them to do so in hope they will eventually be exposed and be made to refund countless unknown funds to the government and students they manipulated and manipulate currently.

• Fa

Ctine Sep 21, 2016

file complaint here

• Sh
    sharian7 Aug 16, 2016

I agree I am going through the same thing. with my educational expense loan

• Sm
    smudly51 Aug 16, 2016

Hello: I am having the exact same problem with Kaplan, they continue to tell lie after lie it literally made me sick inside. That money from that stiphen check was suppose to be used for computer repair and untilities. I attempted ot explain to them that I have went on what they told me and gave my unilities dates to be paid around what they told me, but I never got the money, so in turn they made me look like a liar.

Don't give up and do not let then off the hook. Call Direct Loans and ask for the ombudsmans department. They are the ones who deal with lthe loans, call the Attorney Generals office and also call the BBB.Call them daily until you get your money. When it is all said and done you will be the one paying for that loan no Kaplan.

• Sm
    smudly51 Aug 16, 2016

Iam a current student of Kaplan's so I feel a bit uncomfortable stating my name. They have been mishandling my financial aid. I took an extra loan out through Kaplan for student expenses and up to date they have not given me my money. I spent the entire day on the phone attempting to give them the benefit of the dought. I was literally keeping track of all the lies they told me, I ended up by the end of the day with a very sick feeling I just made the worse choice in my life. I have one step left and that is to contact the Attorney Generals office and prey to god that will shake them up enough that I can get my money returned to me. This has been the worst episode of my life.

• Ku
    KUStudent32709 Aug 16, 2016

I have been trying to get into my KU profile for days now, I work a swing shift so I stay up late at night so I can sleep with my husband when he gets off his graveyard shift. So I am not awake in the mornings and then I wake up to go to work so by the time I can call to Kaplan University call center no one is there. Where is the support there? It's supposed to be online for people like me have a convinence of going to school when we want to and can. But how is that true when people like me have to wait until their hours of work to get any tech. help? I just dont understand it and I'm very fustrated with the program right now. Some one please tell me how that is helpful if they aren't there to support you?

• Ka
    Kaplanholic Aug 16, 2016

CHI is owned by Kaplan. Anyone out there enrolled in CHI Institute's Surgical Technology program? The school stopped the program in 2008 or 2009 when the Dept of Ed started investigating its practices. Contact [email protected] if you were ripped off with this course. It's important...

• Sh
    shabazz_john Aug 16, 2016

like Kaplan is an that awards bachelors and masters degree. Similarity Capella is also another school which offers courses like other university.

where are all the honest people Aug 16, 2016

I was a student but I had financial aid going for a criminal justice degree. I ended up looking into other colleges when I found University of Phoenix and had my credits transferred along with my financial aid. UOP was great with helping get this done. I did this within the first year. I had nothing but problems and when I needed help did not received it. Look around and get out as soon as you can. Transfer what credits you can. Unfortunately you may not be able to transfer all of the credits. I had that problem also. But I graduate with my bachelor degree in May and have never been happier.

what2do? Aug 16, 2016

I am currently a student at kaplan university. I have been reading the many complaints that are directed toward the school and am unsure whether or not I should continue with this university. I am taking their Medical Office Management Class. I read a complaint recently that sated that Kaplan has a "Kindergarten" learning style, I am disappointed to say that I agree. My issue right now is that my classes no longer work when I try to access them. In fact, I have contacted their tech support via live support and get the same answers as to what to do and none of it works. I call them and they do not answer. I wait for them to call after leaving numerous messages through email and phone and when they do finally call they ask for more money. I have more than one problem with Kaplan as you can see. To anyone who is reading this I urge you to stay away from Kaplan. I think I have made a mistake. I really don't know what I should do myself. All I know is I should drop out of this know before I incur anymore bills because as of now I am well into dept of an amount over 10Gs. If there is anyone who may be able to give me some further advice I would really appreciate it. Confused but not stupid.

• Bo
    boothdos Aug 16, 2016

I was able to learn while at Kaplan University. I will be graduating the beginning of May, end of April term. However, as example, I was hung up on by a academic advisor today that got frustrated that she did not know her job. Some advisors have been great, others are kids in college themselves with attitudes. Some instructors are great, others act as if they are trying to catch mistakes instead of educating. If you are not disciplined to do most of your course work on your own, and stay focused, Kaplan is not for you.

Jahmal O Aug 16, 2016

I have attended Kaplan and will graduate shortly. None the less, I would recommend almost any other school (online or otherwise). Kaplan's administrative departments are a mess, creating endless red tape and busy work. The school's technical support is a nightmare which makes it almost impossible to attend classes. Instructors and classes are feckless and inane, and the academics are poor (you won't learn a thing). All in all, this is one academic institution to avoid if you are serious about an education or the public's perception of your credentials. I strongly recommend avoiding Kaplan University if you are interested in a good education.

• Eh
    Ehaney Aug 16, 2016

Since starting at Kaplan University-online in 2007 I have speant more time trying to correct the mistakes of the school than I have working on my education. Not one year has gone by where my academic advisor has not registered me for too many or too few classes resulting in me paying more money. I don't have a academic advisor so everytime I call i speak to a new person, tell my story, get a diffrent answer. Then there is the sun of the financial aid department that don't ever know what is going on and have no answers to any questions. This has been the most frustrating expereince I have ever had. This school is more concerned with money than students getting an education. There is no support for students and apparently nobody to complain to.

• Da
    Damaskes Aug 16, 2016

Never use them! It's true, it's a rip-off! I had a $1000 overage that I had to get back from my previous school and I was supposed to pay it back to my lender. But, I asked a financial adviser who I should pay the overage to and she said pay it to Kaplan. Then I got harassing calls for 3 months straight from Kaplan's collections department trying to collect that money! By the time they sorted out that they had made a mistake I was already late for my 2nd semester of which they froze my login in order to stay ahead of my classes and I not only had to withdraw but it cost me in shipping to send my books back. At every turn they were unhelpful, they have horrible customer service.

• Ak
    A Kaplan Mess Aug 16, 2016

I graduated 2/1/09. 8 months later, I check my credit report to find a collection from Kaplan for 1015.14. After calling them on that, I see another posting to student accounts for $120 owed. After calling them, they stated that the money they sent me before graduating was to go towards my tuition. Not only that, but they returned money that I was granted back to the government from my Pell Grant. I am paying back student loans and do not have money to pay Kaplan for mistakes or mishandling of money. This is crazy, however, I filed a complaint with BBB to follow up and plan on getting an attorney after reading the other posts. They will not get by with this. It's sad to say that I have received a messy degree.

Joi Reidel Green Dixon Jan 28, 2016

for naynay300 I'm sorry but you are about to find out the hard way that piece of paper means NOTHING...it's not worth the ink they used on it. I have the same degree as you.

• Ro
    Roger D. Romas Jul 20, 2014

I was very observant; Kaplan had sent me numerous advertisement to lure me into their program, but I had a strong feeling they're after money and not so much in providing quality education! What a shame and what a scam!!!

• Dk
    dks2683 Sep 23, 2013

I applied to Kaplan University Online in January. Because of an error in transferring Universities in the financial aid department I was unable to begin classes until July. In a check the day before classes with financial aid everything was inline and ready to go. The day after school started I received a call stating my financial aid was in suspense again from the previous university. Twice weekly for the next 10 weeks I would call the old university and Kaplan university check ing on the status of the aid. Finally before the end of the term the error from the previous university was solved and Kaplan advised they would submit the paperwork for the aid. I was contacted 2 days after the term ended and told that the award letter would be for the future terms and not included the previous term. When I asked why since they knew of the problem from the beginning and their lack of processing should not affect my award. They told me that they received approval after the end of the term and could not go back and cover the closed term. WTH?

• Up
    Upset12 Feb 21, 2013

On February 8th 2010 I was attempting to further my education by attending Kaplan University. I had heard many good things about Kaplan University and was very anxious about getting started with my Graduate studies. At that time I was in contact with Tricia Gadson who was helping me get all my documents together. I applied for the FAFSA [protected] Financial Aid and according to Kaplan University Financial Aid office there were no problems and I could start my graduate courses as soon as they had started. On February 23, 2010 I received a phone call from Financial Aid telling me that I was blocked from class because my student loans were over their aggregate loan limit and that I had to consolidate my student loans. So I started the process of consolidating my student loans and then they said that they unblocked me from class and everything was good. So I started class on February 24, 2010, the class was CJ500/02NA Critical Legal Issues in Criminal Justice.
    Then on September 13, 2010 I received another email from Financial Aid saying that they wanted me to submit a FA 10-11 Agg Loan Limit Clearance letter. I was not sure what an FA 10-11 Agg Loan Limit Clearance was so I called them and no one seemed to know what it was and they then told me to call the Direct Loans Department and the National School Loan Data Base to find out. I called them and they then stated that they did not know what I was talking about and that I had to call Kaplan University back and ask them. At this time I was so frustrated because during this time I had been blocked once again in the middle of a class which was at week 5. I called financial aid once again and there still seemed to be no one knew anything about my account and no one knew what an Agg Loan Limit Clearance Letter was.
    I finally just had enough and called on October 6th, 2010 and actually spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about. I believe his name was Daniel and he stated that I was over my loan limit for Bachelors degree and that I had to contact my school who over paid me and request a refund. So I called Saint Leo University and stated to them what was going on and they said that I was overpaid $1206 and that I had to consolidate my student loans. I told them that the process for consolidation was already going through and was waiting to hear back from them. I received a letter from Saint Leo University stating that they were in the process of fixing the loans. Attached is the letter.
    During all this time I had Financial Aid and Kaplan University Financial Aid office would not release my funds due to a neglected ability to know what was going on. When I called back I spoke with Luther in financial aid and he had stated that they sent my money back to the lender and that I now owed Kaplan University more than $8000. I was devastated and very upset with the whole process of your organization. Now I have creditors calling me. I cannot afford to pay out for this loan that is why I had applied for financial aid. When I called back in July 2011 I spoke with someone in Student Accounts. They were very upset about the situation and they had mentioned that I could file a grievance investigation. At this time I would like to do this and see what type of recollection could be made. I would like for you to fix the problem and please have the creditors stop calling my house. I am sure there is something that someone can do!

• Br
    Brooke Stockton-Guy Feb 19, 2013

KAPLAN UNIVERSITY/ TEXAS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS TAKES ADVANTAGE OF INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO CLUE WHAT SO EVER HOW MUCH SCHOOL IS SUPPOSED TO COST OR SHOULD COST (FOR A CERTIFICATE) AND WHAT OTHER ACTUAL CAREERS ARE OUT THERE WITH THE SAME PRICE! They Brain wash people into going to their school and paying for their school. I started school there in 2010 for dental assisting. I have also wanted to be a in the dental field. I thought I was going to school to learn how to "CLEAN TEETH". well, that wasn't so. I had no idea there was a difference between dental assisting and dental hygiene. Of course, I know now, because I worked as a dental assistant after getting for RDA License for a little over a year before I lost my job. The school told me it was going to cost $15, 000 and i was mortified! Well, I ended up getting a $6, 000 grant and 2 student loans for the remainder of the cost. MY INTEREST RATES ARE ALSO GOING WAYYY UP because I cannot afford to pay for those incredibly over the top priced student loans for that school. Dental Assisting is descent money but not NEAR enough money to pay off REDICULOUSLY HIGH LOANS and take care of bill, kids, etc. I later found out there were other schools you could get the SAME RDA license and schooling for $1, 500-$3, 000. THATS A REASONABLE PRICE. I cannot believe I didn't know about this before I WENT TO TEXAS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS. I'm so upset and regreat it so much because I could have gone to HYGEINE SCHOOL for around that price. I could have had an ACTUAL CAREER for the money I am supposed to pay. My sister also went there and she is in dept too and feels the same exact way I do. I also had to pay $50 a month while in school. (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT WAS FOR) I hope this issue is resolved somehow and take some of this money off that US INNOCENT PEOPLE are supposed to pay for a rediculous CERTIFICATE.

• Vi
    VirusData May 25, 2012

About this Petition: Kaplan University Online promises convenient college degrees paid for with easy federal aid. But for many students, all they deliver is debt, unethical practices and misleading claims. Who cashes in? The Washington Post Company, which owns the lucrative chain of colleges and lends its stellar reputation to a scam for low-income students. Shannon Croteau was 11 classes away from a degree from Kaplan University Online when she learned she was out of financial aid, owed $30, 000 and that the degree would be worthless in her state of New Hampshire. Croteau had been told by Kaplan -- a lucrative chain of "for-profit" colleges owned by the Washington Post Company -- that she could make more than $65, 000 a year as a paralegal. Getting financial aid from the government was easy, they said, and earning a degree would be a snap. "For-profit" colleges like Kaplan and the University of Phoenix target low-income students, promising easy degrees and online courses. Instead, Croteau, and millions of other students, end up victims of an industry that siphoned off more than $4.3 billion dollars of federal student aid in [protected] alone. Few students graduate -- the University of Phoenix's graduation rate is 9 percent. Those who do are often drowning in debt, or find that the lucrative jobs they'd been promised don't exist. Even after an explosive government report uncovered deceptive practices at 16 out of 16 colleges investigated, the for-profit industry - including Washington Post Co. Chairman Donald Graham - denies all wrong-doing and continues to fight government regulation. A group of former Kaplan University Students are banding together to set the record straight. Led by Shannon Croteau, they're demanding that Graham, and the Washington Post Company, shut down their broken chain of colleges until changes are made.

Petition Letter: Please Help To End Kaplan University's Deceptive Practices
    Greetings Washington Post Co. Board of Directors,
    I'm writing you today to tell you that I stand with the group of former Kaplan University students who are urging Washington Post Chairman Donald Graham to shut down Kaplan University until he enacts meaningful changes to the way students' grievances are resolved.

More and more former Kaplan students are coming forward with horror stories about the bogus classes, surprise fees and deceptive policies they encountered as they struggled to achieve the American dream.

This massive nationwide controversy is a black mark on the name of the Washington Post. To date, the Washington Post's leadership has denied these stories and discounted their truth. As you've seen, this has only led to lawsuits, media stories and a more negative reputation for the Post, for Kaplan and the entire for-profit college industry.

To resolve the myriad complaints from students in the spirit in which they are made, Kaplan and the Washington Post must commit to creating an independent third-party office to moderate and resolve the many issues held by current students and former students.

As Directors of the Washington Post Company, you have the power to make this right. Please publicly commit to creating a third-party office to resolve student complaints.
    [Your name]

Petition Updates: I have every single comment sent to me
    I have read all comments sent to me on this petition and it breaks my heart and I am going to ask you all to put something together and send it to:

Thomas Beckerle,
    Institutional Improvement Specialist,
    8930 Ward Parkway, suite 2028,
    Kansas City, Missouri [protected] ..
    Phone [protected] .. Fax [protected]

110 Southeast 6th St
    Ft. Lauderdale Fl 33301
    [protected] Fax: [protected]
    [email protected]
    Let's keep the heat on Kaplan!

1. Someone is listening and researching all the complaints by students
    Send your complaints to: Thomas Beckerle, Institutional Improvement Specialist, U.S. Dept of Education Federal Student Aid, School Participation Team-Kansas City, 8930 Ward Parkway, suite 2028, Kansas City, Missouri [protected] ..Phone [protected] .. Fax [protected] [email protected]

Be patient he is getting overloaded and it takes a bit to have your complaint match up to Kaplan's rebuttal. I have been waiting for a little over a month now.
    Let's hope this is the answer!

Boards of directors of the Washington Post and sub of Kaplan:

 Member, Washington Post Board of Directors(Ronald Olson)
     Member, Washington Post Board of Directors(Warren Buffett)
     Chairman, Washington Post Co.(Donald Graham)
     Rima Calderon
     VP of Communications, Kaplan Inc.(Mark Harrad)
     CEO, Kaplan, Inc.(Andrew Rosen)
     Senior VP, Washington Post Co.(Ann McDaniel)
     Member, Washington Post Board of Directors(Christopher C. Davis)
     Member, Washington Post Board of Directors(Katherine Weymouth)
     Member, Washington Post Board of Directors(Barry Diller)
     VP–Communications and External Relations, Washington Post Co.(Rima Calderon)
     Member, Washington Post Board of Directors(Thomas Gayner)

Article URL: http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-kaplan-the-washington-post-stop-cashing-in-on-low-income-students

The case is still active in fla attorney general for anyone wanting to make a complaint even out of state type of complaints.

Below is the SEC Filings Url which is a very long document and very interesting one as well,

SEC Filings
    10-K
    WASHINGTON POST CO filed this Form 10-K on Mar. 02, 2010

UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
    Washington, D.C. 20549
    FORM 10-K
    ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
    FOR THE FISCAL YEAR ENDED JANUARY 3, 2010
    Commission file number 1-6714
    The Washington Post Company
    (Exact name of registrant as specified in its charter)
    Delaware
    [protected]
    (State or other jurisdiction of incorporation
    or organization)
    (I.R.S. Employer Identification No.)
    1150 15th St., N.W., Washington, D.C.
    20071
    (Address of principal executive offices)
    (Zip Code)
    Registrant’s Telephone Number, Including Area Code: [protected]
    Securities Registered Pursuant to Section 12(b) of the Act:
    Title of each class
    Name of each exchange
    on which registered

• Vi
    VirusData May 01, 2012

Here is another case to show everyone that Kaplan is a Scam Now I know why they can not get to be accredited to the American Bar Association for their online Law School Conord with stuff going on like this. I was 1 day out from my Unit 9 class ending and Kaplan BOOTED me out of school for Plagiarism, as I had lefted Kaplan when I was under my Criminal Justice Degree for stuff like this and was gone for over a 1 1/2 then I cam back because of the legal studies degree as this was what I was really interested in, so when I came back to Kaplan that 2009 Plaglarism should not count as a 3rd offense, but none of these Professors on the report below had given any feed back to me on what I did wrong or even give me a chance to correct it, as it appears to me some of Kaplan Professor just jumps to make a report before giving the student any feedback or a chance to correct anything it seems they have pool going on seeing how many students they can catch to this so they coould get a big bonus or something.

Then the Math Professor would not even give me one on one instruction to help me with my math problems and for the amout of money I was paying that was totally wrong what is that Professor there for hummmmmm Then they put a W on my passing class as they knew I did not withdraw from the class and they told me that I will not get my grade for my class as I told them they better give me my grade for the Law in Society Class or they will have to refund my money back to my FASA, I have appealed this and waiting to see whaht happens I might be seeking legal action and going to their where they have their accredition at and demand a hearing there.

Dear Michelle

It has been discovered that your Unit 7 Discussion in the course, MM 150: SURVEY OF MATHEMATICS, has been plagiarized from the Internet. This incident is a clear violation of the Kaplan University Plagiarism Policy. Additionally, this incident is the third time one of your assignments was determined to be plagiarized. The following is a summary of your three charges:

1. First Offense: April 14, 2009

3. Third Offense: April 30, 2012
    Instructor: Steve Delong
    Class: MM 150: SURVEY OF MATHEMATICS
    Assignment: Unit 7 Discussion
    The associated penalty and the consequences of future plagiarism incidents were explained to you after the first offense. You were given a zero on the assignment and warned that future incidents would result in failure of the class and expulsion from the University.

Despite this firm warning, you committed the offense a second time and again were informed of the contents of Kaplan University’s Plagiarism Policy. Your actions resulted in your failure of the class and you were warned that a third offense would result in your expulsion from the University.

Based on the seriousness of this offense and the two prior offenses, it is with much regret that I inform you of your expulsion from Kaplan University. Please sign, date, and return a copy of this letter in the enclosed pre-paid, self-addressed envelope that will be sent to you shortly.

Please email [email protected] if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David Palmer, Registrar
    Jim Winkelmann, Director of Student Accounts

• Mo
    Mona Fitzgerald Feb 15, 2012

I am a former student of Kaplan University. My issue with them is during my last an final semester I received an Academic Probation Notification from the Registrar. Unfortunately during that time, I had Major Issues going on in my household, My boyfriend was diagnosed as a type 3 diabetic and my mother type 2, I was running a business at home and attempting to keep up with my classes. After my classes were completed I received an email stating "This letter is to inform you that you have been dismissed from Kaplan University due to lack of academic progress in your chosen program, as published in the Academic Standards section of the Kaplan University Catalog. You may appeal the dismissal designation if you believe you experienced extenuating circumstances that caused you to fall below academic standards. All dismissed students are suspended for a minimum of one grading period before re-entry, conditional on approval by the University. " I submitted the appeal and explained what was going on, for all the good it did, because the response was 'Unfortunately, after a review of your documentation, the Dean has denied your appeal to re-enter Kaplan University. We wish you the best of luck in your future academic endeavors ' I was shocked, so I inquired what were my options because my GPA was low I asked if I could take an additional class to bring up my average, I got the response that the Deans Decision was binding. I was given no other options outside of "We got our money and your time, thank you and next." Is it worth it to take it to my lawyer or should I just pay to get my transcripts and re-apply to another college?

• Je
    JenniferAmber Aug 04, 2011

Don't do it! I experienced serious problems with financial aid and now my credit report is forever scarred. I was so close to graduating and now I just feel like a dope. Years ago, I was a student there for almost two years. When it came time for my last few classes, my academic advisor just went ahead and signed me up for my remaining classes without my consent (I never confirmed via email, as you are suppose to because I was only going to take 1 class that semester, instead of 3). Then when I didn't fill out my FAFSA, they blocked me and charged me for the classes I didn't take or sign up for. They claimed even though I was not eligible for financial aid, I had to fill out the FAFSA anyway. Thanks to them, they are the only negative remark on my credit report for a large sum of over $6, 000! Now, I couldn't dispute it. Nobody at Kaplan would get back to me and eventually they sent it to a collection agency. Do you think a collection agency cares about your story? That is not their job. I gave up trying to resolve it years ago and that was my mistake because now it has come back to haunt me. Thanks Kaplan! You got me!

ChristopherDeWitt May 06, 2011

Please sign this petition To Stop Kaplan...Has everything you need in this website!

• Bo
    bonsterlee Apr 15, 2011

I have been a Kaplan student for 1 1/2 yrs now and am very close to obtaining my Associates degree. Do not even get me started with the amount of money that I am paying. About $3, 000 per term and I am basically self teaching myself. The professors are terrible and not really any help at all. They are just like us sitting in their home drinking their wine with their animals or kids making noise in the background. The professors are very unorganized and very unproffesional. I find myself laughing calling them professor! The online site always has technical issues and trying to get a hold of somebody to help you is a joke! Oh and by the way if you atleast make an effort you are going to get an A, everyone gets an A if you show up. You never have the same acedemic advisor so you never know who you will talk to or what kind of mood they will be in when you do call. As for calling financial aid? They are the rudest and most incompotent out of the bunch! I am to far in now to quit but I really wish I had not attended here. Once I get my associates I will laugh in their face to an extent but I am sure they will be laughing in mine as they continue to rob me in excess of $20, 000 for the next 10 years!!! This is not worth your money unless you want to pay thousands of dollars TO TEACH YOURSELF!!!

• Tr
    Truthhurtz88 Apr 13, 2011

I just signed the petition "Tell Kaplan & The Washington Post: Stop Cashing In On Low-Income Students" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

Our goal is to reach 50, 000 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

Thanks!

what2do? Mar 06, 2011

I have read both side to the Kaplan story. I remain perplexed becuase on one hand yes I have no problem with the lesson plan, but on the other hand I have extra money after my loans are disbursed toward the courses and do not get any of the money back that I am supposed to. I am diligently checking my record from past 1 1/2 yrs to present to see if anything is amiss. I hope that I will be able to continue with Kaplan despite the bad reviews or complaints. I don't know what I am going to do but hope to find a better answer soon.

• La
    ladyemerald55 Feb 13, 2011

Kaplan is very difficult, and I'm 100+ credits into my degree plan, pursuing a BS in Psychology. Luckily, I have had no real problems with financial aid even though you can get a bad officer at times. A Pell Grant alone will not pay your tuition so for the first person who stated that the Federal grants sent money to Kaplan you have to cover your other costs with either Federal Stafford Loans, Personal Loans, or money order/credit card. Education is not free, and Kaplan University Degrees are taken seriously in the employment field, atleast from my experience. Luckily Kaplan also has a brick and mortar school located in IA so this helps. The only thing I find a bit straining is the time consuming lessons in each class. It's sometimes hard to be on such a tight schedule and have so many assignments due at once. Sometimes their are professors who show no mercy and will take late points off with the snap of a finger no matter what the situation. More often that not, I have had good experiences with most professors at Kaplan. I hope to finish my degree and afterwards go on to acheive my Master's Degree which is also being offered at Kaplan for Psychology majors. And, on an ending note, it is important to do your research because there may be scammers posing as Kaplan University so that is very important to keep in mind.

Janie George Feb 07, 2011

I enrolled in Kaplan in 2007 on line classes, I was told that I would be able to work the class around my schedule and go at my own pace. Well that is not true. I had a class twice a week at a scheduled time and work that had to be done each day. I was working two jobs and needed to do this at my own pace. So, I dropped out and sent my adviser several email, the computer that this was on is long gone now, with no return for appr a month. When I did here from them it was a bill for $800+ and am still getting bills and phone calls daily from AES. They said I would have to have all my info to fight this and I don't, but I need to let everyone know what happened to make them aware. Also, I hear now that Kaplan lets people "try" their classes out without any obligation before hand so that they can see if the schedule and everything will work for them. I should have been offered that same thing and wouldn't be in this situation. I explained all this to up to three people at Kaplan and none of them helped me.

• Ms
    Ms, Whitfield Jan 30, 2011

Kaplan finicial aid is a frud, I'm at my last term, after going her for 3 years and getting good grades, each term my ledger card says O balance, and all my loans and grands were applied, but at my last term 12-2010 they tell me that back in 2008 that I was overawared and in 12-2010 I was over awarded and they had to send 4, 058.00 back to my loan suppliers and now I own them that money, I called all of my loan suppliers and they said they have no record of me ever been overawarded and they have not received any funds back from Kaplan, well now they tried to explain to me where I wasd over awarded and I see that, but not the amount that they claim, so nowe they want me to take out the Kaplan caption loan, and I have not choice want to get my degree and my transcript, they do rip people off, and there be to many people in your account that they don't know what they are doing, if I was over awarded then that is have to pay back, the loan supplies even said that they had no record and Kaplan can not even tell me who they sent the money back to, I'm just waiting for my degree to come and my transscript to come and then my lawyer will handle the rest. I have daved all my paperwork form them, so I have records of what they are saying. If you are going to go to this school you better be on top og your game because they will get you, they make a mistake and then the student have to suffer for it.

• Ha
    Haaj Nov 11, 2010

i have expereinced the same with kaplan financials in UK, Brough High Street in London. Unforunatly I have lost £1, 350/= just because I changed my mind about the course. I only enrolled in one week before the course was starting but changed my mind, wanted to take gap year instead. I went back and applied for refund. No one told me at the time of application that I will not get any refund. The course was starting on 3/9/10 and I submitted my application for refund on the 1/9/10. They came back after 2 weeks saying sorry... no refund. I was shocked. I went back twice but no help no one knew what they are doing. No one is helpful at all. The lady Maiky Lynch is most rudest person I have ever met. She treated me as if I was a lower class citizen. I tried again in vain and sent an appeal as per one the employee, but again the lady gave me same answer. I just dont know what to do now they dont have anyone on the authority who could be contacted. If some oneknows what to do please help I will be gratefull.

• Tr
    Travis M Sep 20, 2010

Let me start by saying I love Kaplan University! I am in my third year at Kaplan and I have not had problem one with my financial aid. That being said I really do not know what everyone keeps complaining about. First of all Kaplan is not responsible for what you are approved for as far as financial aid is concerned, the federal government is. Secondly if you really have a problem with your federal student loans you could always refuse federal assistance and apply for private student loans in which you could be assured that a private financial institution is going to make sure their money is being used appropriately. However I would bet that most of you don't have good enough credit to be approved for private funding and could not get a loan if your life depended on it. I would also go as far to say that the only reason you are complaining about Kaplan is because you realize you cannot finish what you have started and are just upset because you are thousands of dollars in debt and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Now you want to blame someone other than yourselves for your failure.

Furthermore I do not care where you decide to go to school it is going to be expensive, especially when you add in the fact that you are finishing school nearly a year earlier. Kaplan University is by far the best choice for online learning and you will not find better. One more thing, Kaplan never has and never will guarantee anyone that they will get a job after earning their degree. The biggest problem is people jump into school without doing any research as to what the possible employment prospects are for their particular degree. Then you have the nerve to complain when you cannot find a job after graduation. I do not know how anyone could invest thousands of dollars into an education without knowing whether or not the field they have chosen is a growing field or not.

All I can say is you all need to get over it, everything has been laid out for you in black and white and unfortunately the price of education fluctuates just like any other consumer product. The federal government also can and does change the federal loan program which could at anytime result in a change in someone’s award letter. So all of you complainers out there need to stop blaming Kaplan for your own short comings and take responsibility for your own mistakes.
    Travis M

• Pe
    peksun Sep 08, 2010

Yea...Kaplan is a totally garbage...I am now studying in Kaplan Financial London. Despite having all the trouble in visa application, negligence multiple times of mistakes by staff in preparing my visa letter, I have been rejected 2 times on visa letter..Therefore, I could only come to attend the course in UK on July 2010. However, I have completed part of it (2 papers) on my own in Malaysia. While I paid GBP1, 995 (for package of 6 papers), now I could only utilise it for 3 papers, which currently I am attending at. However, they refused to refund me back the course fee for extra 3 papers, which I will gain nothing, not a benefit or service from. After they told me I could request for refund in the first place. I even booked my air ticket back to my country on 15th November, once I finish my course on this december 2010.

What a scammmer !!!

Mariebllck Aug 11, 2010

I am so happy that I decided to change my mind about this school. I am thankful that they only got me for the $80 enrollment fee. These people are only trying to take your money, but when it is time for them to pay you back money they just constantly give you the run around. You might sit on hold for about an hour or so, sometimes no one will answer the call at all. I was given voicemail that was always full. I even sent a email about the problem and still have not got a reply.

• He
    headstart Jun 14, 2010

I want to thank every one who wrote in on this forum. I had been working with an adviser all week and was set to officially enroll into Kaplan today. All of you saved me time, money, and heartache.

chon1210 Jun 02, 2010

I have been attending Kaplan University since December 2008. I had spoke with both an academic advisor and the financial aid representative at the time of enrollment. The academic advisor went over my degree plan and informed me about the courses I would need to take in order to obtain my bachelors degree program in Accounting. All the courses were outlined in my degree plan which I could view through the website. My financial aid summary was also listed via the website. Now almost 1 ½ yr later, I have received on two different occasions calls from representatives from Kaplan University. The first call I received was from Financial Aid. They informed me that I had a balance owed for the previous term. Which I completely disagreed with because I paid the balance off and according to the financial aid summary via Kaplan login I had zero balance, mind you this was a month and half of zero balance for this term. Well the Financial Aid representative told me tuition increased. This was told after I already took the course. He stated that emails were sent prior, I never received anything. I asked how come my balance has read zero this whole time though? He had no answer. Ultimately I paid it. Secondly, I'm taking what I thought was my last course finishing in 3 weeks. However, I received a call stating that a degree audit was done and I still need 4 credits. I said how is this possible when my degree plan has been outlined now for almost a year and a half, again no answer how it was "overlooked". I feel like I'm honestly being scammed out of more and more money and not receiving any answers in return. I feel like Kaplan University is doing something illegal and feel something should be done. For them to keep just ALL OF SUDDEN pulling up information pertaining to receiving more money is real fishy, especially when I have paid such close attention for almost two years to the exact same information.

• De
    Debra Batiste May 20, 2010

Kaplan is doing the same thing to me. HELP! I want to finish school!
    Debra

• Th
    thundarr Apr 14, 2010

I have never gone to school at Kaplan but You should understand about what I learned during the hiring process!!! I have a graduate degree in business which led me to pursue a position as a program chair for their IT program at the W. Des Moines Iowa campus. After a month of interviews and run arounds, and a powerpoint presentation, I received a voice message on my answering machine (by an assistant)telling me they were going in a different direction. How professional is that? I'm not overly concerned I didn't get the position, what I do have a problem with however is the lack of communication with me about the position status, and their overall professionalism. Some of the things they asked me in the interviews was how I would keep students in school because they are losing a high percentage of them in the IT program? I replied that it depended on the situation and the student. They replied that instead of trying to understand the situation, I needed to sell, sell, sell the program to the student and refuse their wishes (I later discovered that program chairs are fired for not meeting student enrollment quotas. Not graduation quotas. If you have 25 in a class, you are in danger of being terminated if more than 3 drop).This struck me as funny but I didn't think of it any further. Now I realize the kind of atmosphere I would have been working in (after doing more research on Kaplan) had I been hired. It seems they are more concerned with bringing in the money, and less about the students well-being. I'm also happy I didn't make the choice of ever going to school there. I'm not sure the degree would mean anything in the long run and I'd probably be deep in debt. I feel extremely sorry for the students that are going to enroll, and the students that are in the middle of the program. I hope anyone thinking of going to school at Kaplan or pursuing employment with them will read this message before they make a decision.

• Ka
    kaplansucks Apr 07, 2010

i am going through the same exact thing at kaplan..there are pages and pages of complaints ... i wish we could all team up and go against them ...there is so many...my financial aid and fasfa was paid up for all semesters for Kaplan ...to be on the safeside i took out an extra five thousand...they have the nerve to block my account and tell me (third semester) that they over paid me in the first semester by 875 dollars..atleast you guys got a payment plan they told me the balance was to be paid in full on april 15th ..Payment start date 4/15 payment end date 4/15.. What a bunch of con artist. Not to mention i cant even get in contact with anyone. you ask for a supervisor they hand you over to there friend. I said how on earth can an educational facility, Accreditted and Fasfa approved get away with a con like this..i mean no one ever tried to call the school and get in contact with anyone..This is way they screen the call, you have to give your social before you can speak to anyone..This is so they know exactly whos calling..its the biggest scam i have ever seen, and im not standing for it..I have been contacting the president everyday..they will pay attention to these online schools..THEY ARE TARGETS FOR WORKING MOMS TRYING TO BETTER THEMSELVES..ITS NOT FAIR TO US OR ANYONE..WHITEHOUSE.GOV...LET HIM KNOW...WHITEHOUSE.GOV, WHITEHOUSE.GOV, WHITEHOUSE.GOV, WHITEHOUSE.GOV..DRILL IT IN YOUR HEAD COPY AND PASTE YOUR LETTER SOMEWHERE AND EVERYTIME YOU THINK ABOUT IT SEND ANOTHER EMAIL..