Ipswich Buddhist Centrebuddhist cult, bad mouthing people behind their back, bad integrity, anti-relationship, caution advised

Caution is advised with this Buddhist cult who have branches all over the UK and the world.

The movement has featured in the UK press after their leader Sangharakshita formally apologized and confessed to past abuses:-

Their leader stated on the page above:-

Update: 8th February 2017

Sangharakshita has confirmed that his apology extends to anyone he has harmed in any way at all, including those who were Buddhists at the time if not now, and their non-Buddhist family and friends. He further wishes to make it clear that his statement was a confession. As the acknowledgment of having breached the Buddhist ethical precepts, Buddhist confession can most fully be made to other Buddhists. His statement was therefore addressed to Buddhists, whether within or without Triratna, for the reason that the confession of evil is part of the spiritual context which he shares with other Buddhists.

I am still awaiting an apology from the Ipswich Buddhist Centre. I was involved with them for 4 years. I left to pursue my own path, including heterosexual romantic relationships, which they disapproved of.

All attempts in the past to get an apology has led nowhere, and they bad mouthed me in 2015, implying I was an attention seeker and being involved in an 'episode', in a bad faith attempt to portray me as the one in the wrong.

Recent events have shown the movement is starting to apologize and take responsibility. I also want my apology.

Anonymous177546 Jun 01, 2017

Here is the letter I wrote to the Ipswich Buddhist Centre, shared for public interest reasons:-

Dear All,

As you can now see, taking 10 years to formally apologize to someone for abuse is disadvantageous to the party involved in the abuse, worse so when the same parties worsen their situation by being dishonest in an unsuccessful attempt to help a criminally fraudulent company cause me losses and my death (the same company that some of your Order members bad mouthed me to has now been implicated in inciting death threats, a very serious matter indeed).

It is most embarrassing for you all no doubt that the UK Courts refused to entertain the case citing abuse of process issues and problems with witness testimony (much of it was proven to be false and made in bad faith, just like yours). It is also no doubt very embarassing that there is proven evidence that you lend complicit support to companies involved in criminal fraud and other forms of abuse, and that you condone the behaviour, and express sympathy when their abuses fail. This embarrassment is undoubtedly compounded by the BBC Inside Out program and Bhante’s confession.

As I explained to you in 2015, helping those who would conspire to harm me would be very karmically disadvantageous and detrimental indeed, and here are the end results:-

The Ipswich Buddhist Centre — Cult behaviour, bad-mouthing, dishonesty, anti-relationship, not recommended for those who pursue romantic relationships

Ipswich Buddhist Centre — cult behaviour, sexual discrimination scandal, anti-relationship, not recommended for those who pursue romantic relationships

Ipswich Buddhist Centre — buddhist cult, bad mouthing people behind their back, bad integrity, anti-relationship, caution advised

Buddhasiha Ipswich Evolution Store — telling lies about people behind their back, refusal to apologize

The above postings (with 25+ more in the pipeline (including some extensive commentary on Buddhasiha’s and Saddharaja’s unfitness to lead retreats and calling for their resignations from the Order) have been made to ensure that you have to live with the karma of your abuse and disrespect toward myself for you have now learned that the karmic buck of the original abuse rests with yourselves (making you fully responsible for your own detriment I might add)

You will find none of the postings can be removed (bar one with a notary letter, but you did not want to write a notary letter, so why should I and plus I could never be coerced by a lawyer to lie in a notary letter, the last company that tried lost GBP 25, 000 in legal fees and were stuck with the true PC review).

Thus it is clearly a karmic lesson for you all in that ignoring a problem does not make it go away, nor does insulting those who reflect back to you the dysfunctions in your movement, as expanded upon here:-

You could ignore them, but then people will see that you do not apologize and draw their own conclusions.

It would appear that the karma of bad mouthing me is severe, especially when it involves direct dishonesty with no interest in correcting yourselves, as is the karma of trying to interfere with my relationships, and then ‘punishing me’ in 2008 by bad mouthing and causing me losses, because I left your Sangha to pursue a romantic relationship and because I would not stay in Ipswich.

There is also proof your movement does this often and other bloggers have the same opinion:-

(see paragraphs 3-5 and attached)

There are also extracts from a book on Buddhist ethics which points out why downfall is the only end outcome of abusing a Spiritual Master, and also serves as a strong moral and ethical argument as to why yourselves are responsible for your detriment.

Now you will find you cannot ignore the matter as in around 6 weeks from now, the IBC will find Page 1 of Google rammed full of the indelible complaints and in the midst of a scandal and will remain like that for some years.

As to why the IBC are at the centre of the scandal, it is clearly because Buddhasiha was the one behind the heterosexual abuse, and the rest of the IBC rallied around to help and to support the abuse.

The IBC may consider suing but it and the wider movement probably would not want the messy PR consequences (deliberate dishonesty in a lawsuit is fraud and can result in prison sentences) and we also now know that the Court is on my side and not on the side of those who abuse people, hence I stand by my earlier opinion that you are now in zugzwang (namely that you have lost the dispute) and you may be well advised to take the loss in good sport and to take on board the lessons.

The core problem is that your leader is morally and ethically compromised beyond repair and the sooner you deal with that, the better.

Bhante’s karma, unfortunately, . will bring about the end of your movement. I sense after his death, your movement will become weak and divided. The bigger problem you have is the sheer number of people that think what he did was okay, and by thinking that, their behaviours become dysfunctional, and that’s where the abuse starts. You also have a problem that the bulk of the senior order also slept with Bhante and have been ethically compromised also.

You also have just 24 hours remaining to send me your apology PDF letters.

I would be within my rights to state online that you have declined to apologize should I not have received them by the end of tomorrow.

I have also CCd the East Anglian Daily Times and the Guardian in the public interest so they can see if you want to apologize or not.

Kind Regards