IGA Grocery SupermarketSIntrusive Security Guard Policy

J

A couple of months ago a uniformed security guard working in an IGA store (in Montreal) walked up to me and kindly advised me that customers must leave their bags at the front. In all the decades I've shopped at grocery markets I've never encountered such an incident and never at any other IGA store I shopped at in that city. Upon further investigation in a reply from the Head Office and the store's assistant manager, , IGA apparently leaves it up to store managers to decide their own security policies -as such at this particular store, they decided to leave the policy in place, even though the regular staff see it as unnecessary apparently. No other grocery stores are permitting security guards to approach customers and harass them while shopping and telling them they need to put their bags at the front... An ignorant stupid idea that NO OTHER grocery stores dare try to enforce - because it is pointless and and makes some customers never come back. The resul now is that I shop at IGA's competitors nearby; where the checkout line-ups have half the customers carrying their bags ready/convenient for their purchases. So, IGA now loses my annual $2k grocery budget as a result. If this store loses one customer a week who feel like me (after a security guard is forced/obliged by the manager) to fuss with customers, then, after 2 years, that IGA store is losing $100, 000 from lost customers with an annual $2k annual grocery budget - just due to a stupid, aggressive, anti-customer policy that no other grocery supermarket would ever use. Your loss IGA - you should decide at Head Office to ban policies like this from being used by store managers throughout your chain of stores.

• Pe
    PerplexedCustomer Sep 29, 2013

Some of the employees at this grocery store seem to be choosey about which customers they will give good service to and which ones they will not. For some reason I fell into the second category, in spite of the fact that I don't know any of them outside of the store. One employee gives me dirty looks and completely ignores me while greeting everyone around me and asking if they need help. Some of the cashiers are the same way, being overly friendly to other customers and giving me a cold shoulder. I spent enough time working in the service industry to know that it is not uncommon for employees to make fun of customers they don't like and give them bad service, but I have given none of these people any reason to act this way toward me. For this reason I have decided to never shop at the City Grocery in Tacoma again.