Menu

Hughes Network Systems  -  Service, modem, collections

T
Author of the complaint
11:29 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In June of 2019 I called Hughesnet to up grade my service as I was unable to stream live broadcasts. They told me that I had 4G and need 5g and it would cost about $18/mth more. So we set up an appointment. They sent out an independent contractor to put a new dish on, aim it to the satellite and install a new 5G modem. They did this, I was at work and left my 33 year old daughter home to let him in and do his work. She paid him $100.00 in cash as he requested.

About a year later on May 14, 2021 The modem died and I called the independent contractor back, he eventually came out, replaced the modem for another $100.00 cash.

On 10/12/2021 I got and email from my Discover card saying there were unusual charges on my card, all from hughesnet. So I filed a complaint because I never authorized them to charge anything on my account. My Hughesnet bill is on autopay with my bank card / master charge.

Discover credited my card $870 for all of the overcharges. I called Hughesnet on 11/3/2021 to find out what was going on. It turns out as they informed me that it is their policy when you up date an account that they are required to close the old account and open a new one with the new equipment. And this is where the problems begin.

I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with one of their representatives. First off she told me that you never pay their contractors that everything would be on my bill. Red Flag. She wanted the serial number from my modem, I gave it to her right off the modem but she could not find a record of it. She asked me what I did with the old modems. I didn't do anything with them, I wasn't even home, you're service guy took them. They belong to him, not me.

So it gets better, the representative determined that I don't have a 5G modem I have a 4G modem. well what did I originally call for? An upgrade to 5g! So for 2 years Hughesnet was charging my old account that they never closed per their policy AND also charging my bank card for the up grade that I never got.

The representative and I concluded during this long phone call that their independent contractor did this without reporting it which is why I got a 4G modem twice, why I paid him $100.00 twice, why the 1st account never got closed and why there are no records of the serial numbers of the 2 missing modems.

I told them if they wanted answers to there where abouts of the modem that they needed to contact the guy with answers. That would be the independent contractor that they sent to my house. I had his business card in my hand to give them his name and contact information but they weren't interested in that. I found that unusual. He left me a small packet all legitimate looking with a "referral ID #. I gave this number to the hughesnet rep, guess what? no record of it either!

I called Hughesnet back on 11/11/2021 to try and resolve it after they investigated. So they said they would finally send me my 5G modem (2 1/2 years later) with a return label. I was to install the new modem myself, pack the old one up in the same box, return it and I would be getting a refund once they received the modem

on 12/28/2021 I get a letter concerning Hughesnet thinking it was my refund check. I was wrong, it was a letter from a collection agency saying that I owe hughesnet $378.13 for a modem. So I went to UPS page, entered the tracking number from the packing slip and found that they received the modem on 11/16/2021 at 10:27 at the dock. so I called the collection agency and told them, gave them the tracking number and thought this was resolved. Until yesterday when I got a second letter asking for the same amount for the same modem. Crazy!

So hughesnet wants to bill me for 2 1/2 years of service that I never got for an account that they never closed on top of the service that I was using for the same 2 1/2 years on a different account that I was still only getting 4G when the whole purpose was to get 5g! On top of wanting me to pay for a modem that I did return and have UPS proof of.

I am seeking legal representation about this.

What can you do for me? Any help would be much appreciated.

0 comments