Hughes Network Systems Logo

Hughes Network Systems

Having problems with Hughes Network Systems?

Hughes Network Systems reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 29, 2006. The latest review Service invoice # 134892599 was posted on Mar 1, 2021. The latest complaint false charge on returned satellite equipment was resolved on Dec 21, 2014. Hughes Network Systems has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 585 reviews. Hughes Network Systems has resolved 134 complaints.

Hughes Network Systems Customer Service Contacts

+1 866 347 3292 (Customer Service)
841 3 Fountains Drive, Unit 248
Murray, Utah

Hughes Network Systems Complaints & Reviews

Hughesnet30-day cancellation policy is a rip-off!

HughesNet is undoubtedly the world leader in Internet Access Rip-OFF !!!
Well since I transferred from southern California to somewhat of a remote location (the bowels of Mississippi) I was forced to find alternate means of internet access. Having to settle for satellite TV (Direct TV) due to lack of cable access anywhere outside of city limits I was confronted with numerous advertisements about HughesNet's (formerly Direct Way) blazing fast internet service. So assuring their advertisement dollars were not wasted I gave them a call. I completely explained my situation of having at least six computers on my local network at all times and needing to be able to VPN into my company in CA at a moments notice and to host test web sites. Their customer service rep was all to eager to tell me why I needed the business internet package and all the reasons why their product is superior and they promise a 30 day no risk trial period. If I was unhappy for any reason within the 30 day period just call and cancel and all I needed to do was send the equipment back and they would refund me $400. Sounds great I thought, sign me up! Well after about 25 days of fighting with slow access, horrible email support, unbearable latency issues, and laughable tech support I had had enough! I called their customer service to cancel and after answering 10 minutes of questions on why I was wishing to cancel I was informed of the immediate cancellation fee of $485.00 (posted to my checking account within the hour) Once I received the boxes from them, usually within a week, I would receive a $400 refund within SIX WEEKS of them receiving their equipment!!! Needless to say I was furious. This immediate withdrawal from my account from HughesNet caused all of my monthly automatic debits (i.e. 2 life insurance policies, car insurance, gym fees, etc.) to overdraw my bank account per incidence !! So when all is said and done this no risk 30 Day cancellation policy from HughesNet has cost me in excess of $1200.00. I will be glad to entertain any enterprising attorney that would like to help bring this long-winded giant to it's knees.

• Tm
      tmag Aug 11, 2008

Hughes.Net are indeed a bunch of liars, and they forget to mention their fair access threshold policy, which is a complete rip off. The company, however does not mention this, and they give you some crap about a jacked up cancellation fee $400. I am extremely furious with companies that do this. I've had this BS system for 11/2 days and just canceled because after being on line for 2 hours your speed drops slower than dial up which is disgustingly slow. So if you really enjoy 20 minutes of internet, the kicked down to dial up, then by all means sign up. If you are however pissed off about companies like this then I INFORM, "DO NOT BY ANYTHING THEY SELL YOU."

All I know is this may happen once, but not again. I most certainly would like to settle this in court. As a matter of fact I would not be surprised if these guys are related to companies NRON.

Peace out

• Su
      Susan De Lano Jun 21, 2007

I have resolved the problem with Hughes.net. After they received my letter to the Attorney. General for the State of MN, they contacted me by telephone. I explained the problems I was having with the service.

They informed me that in April of 2007 they reduced the bandwidth for their customers. Prior to that the service was unlimited. Their explanation for doing this was because of the new customers complaining that they could not use the service or the service was slow. Hughes.net told me that to satisfy the new customers, they cut the older customers service and that they lengthened the wait time from 4 hours to 24 hours.

I told her that this was not acceptable. And that if they could not restore the service for which I was paying, then I wanted our service discontinued and a refund on the equipment.

She agreed to refund $400.00 for the equipment. The equipment being the modem and the receiver on the dish (but not the dish). They will refund our money to our credit card account which we paid for the service with.

I will keep you further informed.

Have you written your Attorney. General's office yet?

Hughesnetunable to alter dns entries

http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/phone.html indicates [protected] as technical support help line.

This is the only number given to customers both residential and commercial.

[protected] option 3 gets a customer in contact with an outsourced call center where all "technicians" have heavy Hindu accent that "check their resources if you have any technical questions"

The chat routine at http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frm_chat_support.cfm gets customers in contact with the same outsourced call center support team with chats that look like this:

[Dec 1 2006 8:35:45 PM] Welcome to our chat customer support .
    [Dec 1 2006 8:35:48 PM] William, you have been connected to Kate William (Dec 1 2006 8:36:02 PM): hi Kate (Dec 1 2006 8:36:00 PM): William, thank you for contacting HughesNet Technical Support. My name is Kate and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Before we go ahead with this conversation, I would like to inform you in case we get disconnected, please connect to the chat session again immediately through http://customercare.myhughesnet.com
    Kate (Dec 1 2006 8:36:17 PM): Hi William, how are you doing today?
    William (Dec 1 2006 8:36:44 PM): great just got a new domain name and need to have a PTR record setup on your DNS servers Kate(Dec 1 2006 8:38:14 PM): Please give me a moment.
    Kate (Dec 1 2006 8:40:41 PM): Is it ok if I keep this chat session on hold for two minutes so that I can check resources?
    William (Dec 1 2006 8:41:32 PM): sure i understand that this is for residential tier1 support... but i was never given a business support telephone #
    William (Dec 1 2006 8:46:09 PM): oh and here is a link to how my domain is pointing from the registrar http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=hollygarth.net&type=ALL
    Kate (Dec 1 2006 8:47:53 PM): William, may I know which plan you are in?
    Kate (Dec 1 2006 8:50:08 PM): I am waiting for your reply.
    William (Dec 1 2006 8:50:23 PM): pro plus
    William (Dec 1 2006 8:50:43 PM): with static ip Kate(Dec 1 2006 8:51:44 PM): Could you elaborate your issue so that I can give you perfect resolution.
    William (Dec 1 2006 8:52:18 PM): a new domain name and need to have a PTR record setup on your DNS servers.
    Kate (Dec 1 2006 8:58:10 PM): I would request you to call as they will be in a better position to assist you.
    Kate (Dec 1 2006 8:58:19 PM): I apologize for the inconvenience this issue may have caused.
    William (Dec 1 2006 8:59:07 PM): is there a direct line to the business support group i do not want to have to go thru tier 1 again Kate (Dec 1 2006 9:00:00 PM): You need to call Phone support : [protected].
    William (Dec 1 2006 9:00:37 PM): bye

Email support also apparently connects customers to the same outsource group and refers customer to the call number. Example in point...

From: [protected]@hughes.net [mailto:[protected]@hughes.net]
    Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:43 PM
    To: [protected]@hughes.net
    Subject: Hughesnet Resolution

Dear William,

Thank you for contacting HughesNet Technical Support. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. William, please accept my apologies for the difficulties you are experiencing.

William, I would suggest you to give us a call on [protected] so that we can update you about this issue.

William, we have escalated this issue to our engineers and we are looking forward for their response. However, I would suggest you to give us a call, if we feel that there is a need then we will transfer your call to our Advanced Technical Support (Tier 3).

Your case ID for this issue is [protected]

Kind Regards,
    Natalie.
    HughesNet Technical Support
    For further assistance, we are available 24/7 and you can contact us through the following:
    Phone support: [protected] (Technical Support).
    Chat support and Email support: www.myhughesnet.com/customercare
    For future Web service and support assistance, as well as finding the latest drivers and updates, please visit our support website at http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/
    The HughesNet Technical Support team is pleased to provide you with technical support. We look forward to serving you in the future.
    Once again thank you for contacting HughesNet Technical Support.

----------- Original Message ---------------

Inquiry Reg : Web Setup
    SiteID : 38fa2c02
    Previous CaseID : [protected]
    Current CaseID : [protected]
    Problem Statement : COMMENTS=upon calling [protected] and talking to supervisor carrey? He informed me that it is impossible for the company Hughes.net to setup a PTR record for me. If this is the case then having any type of business with your company is useless. Since all i have talked to in this matter are tier 1 support specialist and supervisors I am requesting this be escalated to engineering and request a reply within 5 business days. I would like a detailed explanation as to WHY your company cannot enter a reverse DNS entry that points 72.168.183.70 to hollygarth.net C:Documents and Settings
    oganlors>nslookup Default Server: [protected].charter.com Address: 24.240.141.241 > hollygarth.net Server: [protected].charter.com Address: 24.240.141.241 Name: hollygarth.net Address: 72.168.183.70 > 72.168.183.70 Server: [protected].charter.com Address: 24.240.141.241 Name: host7216870183.hns-noc-rev-lu.com Address: 72!
    .168.183.70 http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=hollygarth.net

For any hughes.net employees this is case# [protected], [protected], and [protected]

Getting in contact with anyone at Hughes.net to perform any high level technical support is virtually impossible and requires the tenacity of a pit bull at the that of it's prey. When one does get in contact with this higher level technical support the only support that they can give you is with the hardware that you purchased for $600-$1000 US.

The "Level 3" technician I finally got in contact with informed me that the network topology used by satellites was a static "image" of current DNS entries and changing the DNS entries for static ip addresses was impossible and could not be performed.

• La
        larry j cutler Sep 22, 2007

I try to many times to get in and delete my email address because i am getting to must junk mail, i like to delete my email address and set up a net one, but it want let me in. Can someone help me with this?

larry cutler

• Ad
        Adam Jun 08, 2007

Hello, I have Hughes.net also and I have no earthly idea how old this chat is, but I not the richest guy in the world and Hughes.net tells me that I can only download 200 MB between the hours of 6 pm to 3 am but between the hours of 3 am to 6 am i can download as much as I desire. In short, I was wondering if you knew something: can I use torrents to download things with Hughes.net?

HughesNet.com — make me feel used and abused!

I made arrangements for this service in August 2006. I was told due to a promotion the 100.00 installation...

Hughes Network Systems LLCdouble billing and no customer service

Hughes requires automatic access to your credit card for billing. They billed me twice last month. My card company, Hughes, and me on a conference call found that Hughes had no record of a double billing. So, the card company credited me for the second billing. Hughes then discontinued my service and billed me again. Hughes' "customer service" representatives have no authority or ability to solve these problems. Some of their reps can't even be understood over the phone. It's not even possible to email Hughes. Can you believe it? An internet company doesn't have a email address. It's been almost a month, and this billing dispute is still open.

• Co
          Cory Medley Apr 18, 2020

They lied when providing my speed test to measure data, etc etc. Stole data from my data plan and would cut my data speeds when we were using their internet service. Customer support would hang up with me and never return a call or their chat help would never respond

• Pe
          Peter Ciani Dec 17, 2019

My bill has been going up monthly for 3 months. Each month I called I was promised it would not change and that I would be reimbursed on next months bill, which I never was. I was told on last call it was to increase to from $66.61-$115. I have ticket numbers for each interaction. Customer service makes statements that they don't keep.

• Al
          Alisandra Aug 19, 2019

The plastic advertisement you consistantly send through the mail. Can you stop hurting the enviroment with plastic cards that go right to the trash?

• Ju
          Juher Jan 23, 2012

Hughesnet didn't deliver the product they agreed to. They agreed to a pole mount to avoid trees that block southern skies, but tech mounted & aimed at the trees. Slower than dial up & unable to get response from customer service. After emails beginning on day of installation telling them, I utilize the 30 day period to change my mind, they still took $477.98 from my account. I'm out money & have nothing to show for it.

Hughesnet — email is in the dark ages!

I had my email under Direcway for 4 years until somebody, without my consent and without amending my service...